Idea about Ideas

Pawel Jarosz Pawel Jarosz

Idea about Ideas

To Whom It may Concern

I've been a user of OpenOffice for the past several years and I loved
that software. I used it at work in school and at home. Since the Oracle
Corporation purchased Sun Microsystem I lost the desiger to use the
OpenOffice. And then several weeks ago I found out about your foundation
and I fell in love with the foundation and LibreOffice. You are the best
think that happened to the OpenOffice and open source community  in the
last several years.

The reason I am contacting you is because I'd like to tell you about how
I am feeling about your fundation and LibreOffice and to give you my
idea "Idea about Ideas" how you/we can improve the product. I have
imagined a website where users can enter their ideas about diffrent
extentions, GUI, how to improve the product, how market the product,
etc. And also have a ranking system on the website where users can vote
for different ideas that they would like to see in the next release.
What I would do I would have an extension built into the LibreOffice
where users, connected to internet, could log Ideas quickly and
efficiently without leaving application.

I think the website would provide a place where users and developers
could come up with Ideas and share them with the rest of the world. This
place, the website, would be central for creating, sharing and grading
and determining which functionality, aspect of the LibreOffice is the
most crucial, importat for the users to be changed or incorporated.

The users would have a greater influence in which direction the software
would go which in the end would satisfy greater number of people.

Thank you very much for your valuable time. I hope my "idea about ideas"
will find a positive reception. And if it does I'd like to offer my help
in creating the website.

Please let me know any thoughts, concerns or comments about the "idea
about ideas".

V/R
Pawel Jarosz
Email: [hidden email]

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Idea about Ideas

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Pawel Jarosz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To Whom It may Concern
>

> I've been a user of OpenOffice for the past several years and I loved that
> software. I used it at work in school and at home. Since the Oracle
> Corporation purchased Sun Microsystem I lost the desiger to use the
> OpenOffice. And then several weeks ago I found out about your foundation and
> I fell in love with the foundation and LibreOffice. You are the best think
> that happened to the OpenOffice and open source community  in the last
> several years.
>
> The reason I am contacting you is because I'd like to tell you about how I
> am feeling about your fundation and LibreOffice and to give you my idea
> "Idea about Ideas" how you/we can improve the product. I have imagined a
> website where users can enter their ideas about diffrent extentions, GUI,
> how to improve the product, how market the product, etc. And also have a
> ranking system on the website where users can vote for different ideas that
> they would like to see in the next release. What I would do I would have an
> extension built into the LibreOffice where users, connected to internet,
> could log Ideas quickly and efficiently without leaving application.
>
> I think the website would provide a place where users and developers could
> come up with Ideas and share them with the rest of the world. This place,
> the website, would be central for creating, sharing and grading and
> determining which functionality, aspect of the LibreOffice is the most
> crucial, importat for the users to be changed or incorporated.
>
> The users would have a greater influence in which direction the software
> would go which in the end would satisfy greater number of people.
>
> Thank you very much for your valuable time. I hope my "idea about ideas"
> will find a positive reception. And if it does I'd like to offer my help in
> creating the website.
>
> Please let me know any thoughts, concerns or comments about the "idea about
> ideas".
>
> Pawel Jarosz

Pawel,
I am happy to say that the website team is currently in the process of
working on this. We are creating a system which will be borrowing the
best ideas from a range of suggestion systems and idea trackers such
as Ubuntu Brainstorm, Google Moderate and Launchpad Blueprints.
Integration with LibreOffice would be difficult, but it may be
something we could consider in the future.

I have cross posted this in the website mailing list, as at the moment
it is a question of infrastructure rather than marketing.
If you wish to keep track of the progress of the concept and possibly
even contribute to the construction of such a system please feel free
to contact Ben or Narayan on the website mailing list or visit our
wiki page on the development:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal/brainstorm

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

C. Olofson C. Olofson

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Idea about Ideas

OK;

After reading the brainstorm document, a couple of observations:

1) Ubuntu Brainstorm:  Please consider the differences in layout between
Ubuntu's Brainstorm and Getsatisfaction's Ideas page for Mozilla
Messaging.  I don't know about everyone else, but I find
Getsatisfaction's UI much easier to digest on any regular basis.  As a
result, the UX is more pleasant and I end up participating there more
regularly.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/ideas/popular

2) Launchpad Blueprint:  Of the two projects on Launchpad that I've
referenced, one doesn't use blueprint, the other uses it for tracking
bugs (or feature sets listed as bugs).   In other words, I'm not sure
what the value proposition is in using Blueprint.  I do use Bugzilla,
however, to track issues which are important for us and I find it very
easy to do so.

https://help.launchpad.net/Blueprint
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/index.cgi

Thank you very much to the entire LibreOffice community for your time
and efforts.  Best wishes to you & yours over the Holidays.

-Craig