Import into a Template

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Import into a Template

I have downloaded a c,s.v file from my Bank and created a Template for the Bank listing.
I can load the Bank file into a new Spreadsheet and I then have to reformat it.
Why can I not Import it into the Template, or is there another way?

Tink.
James Knott James Knott

Re: Import into a Template

Tinkerer wrote:
> I have downloaded a c,s.v file from my Bank and created a Template for the
> Bank listing.
> I can load the Bank file into a new Spreadsheet and I then have to reformat
> it.
> Why can I not Import it into the Template, or is there another way?

Templates are used to create documents in a standardized way.  You're
not supposed to write to them.  What you should be able to do is create
a custom spreadsheet template for that bank info then create a new
document and import the data into it.

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: Import into a Template

James

That is exactly what I am trying to do.
I open the CSV Template then I go to Insert Sheet from File > OK and it creates another sheet either before or after the sheet from the Template.
I finish up with a two sheet file, one sheet Formatted and the other sheet with the Bank info.
What I want is a straight Import to wherever I have put the cursor.
No complicated choices either.

Tink
Thomas Taylor Thomas Taylor

Re: Import into a Template

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:52:25 -0800 (PST)
Tinkerer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James
>
> That is exactly what I am trying to do.
> I open the CSV Template then I go to Insert Sheet from File > OK and it
> creates another sheet either before or after the sheet from the Template.

Tink,
You aren't understanding what James stated.  The ONLY purpose of a template is
to create a NEW file having the desired characteristics.  It should not be
written to or it could be damaged and not produce the desired results upon
future use.

As an example, if you do much writing of program code, you probably use a
template in your text editor for the language you are coding in.  In that case
you select the template to use and the editor creates a NEW text file based
upon the template.  Same principal.

Use the template to create a NEW file and then import the csv data into the NEW
file and save it.

Tom, moderator

<<<<< snip >>>>>

--
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral
courage so rare.

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  --.  --...  -.-.  ..-.  -.-.

^^^^
Tom Taylor - retired penguin - KG7CFC
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 13.1_RC2-x86_64
KDE 4.11.12, FF 24.0, claws-mail 3.9.2
registered linux user 263467

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Import into a Template

At 14:52 12/01/2014 -0800, J Taylor wrote:
>I open the CSV Template then I go to Insert Sheet from File > OK and
>it creates another sheet either before or after the sheet from the
>Template. I finish up with a two sheet file, one sheet Formatted and
>the other sheet with the Bank info.

You are nearly there!

o Select the complete range of data on the new (unformatted) sheet.
o Copy the data.
o Paste the data into your empty (formatted) sheet, but using Edit |
Paste Special ... (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary Paste.  In
the Paste Special dialogue, remove the tick from Paste All if
necessary and ensure that Formats is *not* ticked.
o Delete the imported sheet.

>What I want is a straight Import to wherever I have put the
>cursor.  No complicated choices either.

Only you can decide if this is "complicated".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

James Knott James Knott

Re: Import into a Template

Tinkerer wrote:
> That is exactly what I am trying to do.
> I open the CSV Template then I go to Insert Sheet from File > OK and it
> creates another sheet either before or after the sheet from the Template.
> I finish up with a two sheet file, one sheet Formatted and the other sheet
> with the Bank info.
> What I want is a straight Import to wherever I have put the cursor.
> No complicated choices either.

Create your document first from the template, then insert the data.
This is the way templates work.  For example, I have a standard form
that I use to create letters.  I started by creating a new document from
the default template, made my changes and then saved as my "Letter"
template.  Now, when I want to create a letter, I make a new document
from that template and go from there.  You do not add data to a
template, but you can create a new one by creating a document the way
you want and then save that as your new template.  Then use that
template to make a new document.

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: Import into a Template

This post was updated on .
James

You have not read my request correctly.
I know how to use Templates and I know you can add to the text, I also know that you cannot import another file into the Document, you can only Paste something in.
This applies whether you are using a New Document, or one created from a Template.
Brian Barker has it right, I must accept that the file will be on another sheet and then Paste Special into my Formatted Sheet.

I might add. The Bank Date Format uses Text with Hyphens, Cor Nous Extension CT2N corrects this if you have Formatted the Date Column
With a small adjustment it will also recognize numbers prefixed by a Currency sign.

Tink.