Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Has anyone experienced this new problem (or is it a feature?) in 4.2?

In previous versions of LO, opening an html file would give you the file
as would be seen on a web browser.

In 4.2 it is the actual html code that is displayed. This behaviour
happens when opening any html document or inserting an html file into an
open LO document.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

I use moneydance to track finances, and it allows reports to be saved in
html. Producing printed reports used to be a matter of simply opening
the Income and Expenses report in LO, inserting the Account Balances at
the end of the report, then edit titles, styles etc at will.

I have discovered that I can open the html files in Firefox, then copy
and paste into LO, but that does seem unnecessarily complicated, when it
used to just work in a single step.

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hello,
     In LibreOffice 4.2, there is an option under the View menu in
LibreOffice Writer/Web labeled "HTML Source."  Be sure that that item is
unchecked.  Also, if that doesn't fix the problem, try going into
LibreOffice, selecting File>New>HTML Document, and once in Writer/Web,
go to File>Open and select the HTML file.  For me, HTML files load in
LibreOffice 4.2.0.4 correctly. Did this fix the issue?

On 2/4/2014 7:28 PM, Keith Bates wrote:

> Has anyone experienced this new problem (or is it a feature?) in 4.2?
>
> In previous versions of LO, opening an html file would give you the
> file as would be seen on a web browser.
>
> In 4.2 it is the actual html code that is displayed. This behaviour
> happens when opening any html document or inserting an html file into
> an open LO document.
>
> Does anyone know of a way around this?
>
> I use moneydance to track finances, and it allows reports to be saved
> in html. Producing printed reports used to be a matter of simply
> opening the Income and Expenses report in LO, inserting the Account
> Balances at the end of the report, then edit titles, styles etc at will.
>
> I have discovered that I can open the html files in Firefox, then copy
> and paste into LO, but that does seem unnecessarily complicated, when
> it used to just work in a single step.

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hi,

No, I made sure that the "HTML source" item was not selected. I've tried
a few different files generated by different sources. Generally they
behave as I described, although I did find one that opened correctly. I
have no idea what the difference is between those that work and those
that don't.

Opening them from a blank html document makes no difference. In fact the
title bar just says LO Writer not Writer/Web.

If I start with a blank html document and use Insert-File it shows up as
the source.

I'm using the linux version of LO. Are you using Windows or Linux?
Keith

On 05/02/14 12:39, null wrote:

> Hello,
>     In LibreOffice 4.2, there is an option under the View menu in
> LibreOffice Writer/Web labeled "HTML Source."  Be sure that that item
> is unchecked.  Also, if that doesn't fix the problem, try going into
> LibreOffice, selecting File>New>HTML Document, and once in Writer/Web,
> go to File>Open and select the HTML file.  For me, HTML files load in
> LibreOffice 4.2.0.4 correctly. Did this fix the issue?
>
> Regards,
> [hidden email]
>
> On 2/4/2014 7:28 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced this new problem (or is it a feature?) in 4.2?
>>
>> In previous versions of LO, opening an html file would give you the
>> file as would be seen on a web browser.
>>
>> In 4.2 it is the actual html code that is displayed. This behaviour
>> happens when opening any html document or inserting an html file into
>> an open LO document.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way around this?
>>
>> I use moneydance to track finances, and it allows reports to be saved
>> in html. Producing printed reports used to be a matter of simply
>> opening the Income and Expenses report in LO, inserting the Account
>> Balances at the end of the report, then edit titles, styles etc at will.
>>
>> I have discovered that I can open the html files in Firefox, then
>> copy and paste into LO, but that does seem unnecessarily complicated,
>> when it used to just work in a single step.

--
God bless you
Keith Bates
4 Mooloobar St
Narrabri NSW
Ph 02 67924890

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hello,
On 2/4/2014 10:06 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, I made sure that the "HTML source" item was not selected. I've
> tried a few different files generated by different sources. Generally
> they behave as I described, although I did find one that opened correctly.
What kind of files did you try that were generated by different
programs?  Which ones worked?  Do all the files have the .html
extension, or are some .xhtml, etc?  Do you know if there is a certain
pattern in the source code of each file that causes LibreOffice to
display the source?  When I tried loading an HTML file into LibreOffice
4.2, it worked correctly.  If the files do not contain any sensitive,
personal, or otherwise information that you do not want to publish, you
can send the list and I the HTML files you tried.  However, *E-Mail
attachments are not accepted by the LibreOffice mailing list server*.
If you use the mailing list via Nabble, I think you can upload a file to
the server.  If you use an E-Mail client to use the mailing list, you
can use something like Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/).

> I have no idea what the difference is between those that work and
> those that don't.
>
> Opening them from a blank html document makes no difference. In fact
> the title bar just says LO Writer not Writer/Web.
That isn't right!  Maybe another thing you can try is a clean install of
LibreOffice (with all of the settings reset).  If you urgently need a
temporary solution, and nothing works, you can download LibreOffice
4.1.4 from: http://mirror.nexcess.net/tdf/libreoffice/stable/4.1.4/
Just select the type you want (I don't know if you prefer the RPM or the
Debian package).

> If I start with a blank html document and use Insert-File it shows up
> as the source.
>
> I'm using the linux version of LO. Are you using Windows or Linux?
I am using Windows Vista, and sometimes Windows 8 (mostly Vista). If you
are able to send the HTML files (at least one that works and one that
doesn't) to the list and I (that doesn't contain any personal data), I
might be able to examine the file's source and find the route of the
bug.  Then, I can file an official bug that explains the issue.  I don't
know if the issue is operating system-specific or not.
> Keith
I hope this helps!

> On 05/02/14 12:39, null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>     In LibreOffice 4.2, there is an option under the View menu in
>> LibreOffice Writer/Web labeled "HTML Source."  Be sure that that item
>> is unchecked.  Also, if that doesn't fix the problem, try going into
>> LibreOffice, selecting File>New>HTML Document, and once in
>> Writer/Web, go to File>Open and select the HTML file.  For me, HTML
>> files load in LibreOffice 4.2.0.4 correctly. Did this fix the issue?
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 2/4/2014 7:28 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> Has anyone experienced this new problem (or is it a feature?) in 4.2?
>>>
>>> In previous versions of LO, opening an html file would give you the
>>> file as would be seen on a web browser.
>>>
>>> In 4.2 it is the actual html code that is displayed. This behaviour
>>> happens when opening any html document or inserting an html file
>>> into an open LO document.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way around this?
>>>
>>> I use moneydance to track finances, and it allows reports to be
>>> saved in html. Producing printed reports used to be a matter of
>>> simply opening the Income and Expenses report in LO, inserting the
>>> Account Balances at the end of the report, then edit titles, styles
>>> etc at will.
>>>
>>> I have discovered that I can open the html files in Firefox, then
>>> copy and paste into LO, but that does seem unnecessarily
>>> complicated, when it used to just work in a single step.

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

NOTE: If you received this e-mail twice, I apologize.  It doesn't look
like Nabble, the mailing list interface, picked it up.  So, I am
resending it to the list.
Hello,
On 2/4/2014 10:06 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, I made sure that the "HTML source" item was not selected. I've
> tried a few different files generated by different sources. Generally
> they behave as I described, although I did find one that opened correctly.
What kind of files did you try that were generated by different
programs?  Which ones worked?  Do all the files have the .html
extension, or are some .xhtml, etc?  Do you know if there is a certain
pattern in the source code of each file that causes LibreOffice to
display the source?  When I tried loading an HTML file into LibreOffice
4.2, it worked correctly.  If the files do not contain any sensitive,
personal, or otherwise information that you do not want to publish, you
can send the list and I the HTML files you tried.  However, *E-Mail
attachments are not accepted by the LibreOffice mailing list server*.
If you use the mailing list via Nabble, I think you can upload a file to
the server.  If you use an E-Mail client to use the mailing list, you
can use something like Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/).

> I have no idea what the difference is between those that work and
> those that don't.
>
> Opening them from a blank html document makes no difference. In fact
> the title bar just says LO Writer not Writer/Web.
That isn't right!  Maybe another thing you can try is a clean install of
LibreOffice (with all of the settings reset).  If you urgently need a
temporary solution, and nothing works, you can download LibreOffice
4.1.4 from: http://mirror.nexcess.net/tdf/libreoffice/stable/4.1.4/ Just
select the type you want (I don't know if you prefer the RPM or the
Debian package).

> If I start with a blank html document and use Insert-File it shows up
> as the source.
>
> I'm using the linux version of LO. Are you using Windows or Linux?
I am using Windows Vista, and sometimes Windows 8 (mostly Vista). If you
are able to send the HTML files (at least one that works and one that
doesn't) to the list and I (that doesn't contain any personal data), I
might be able to examine the file's source and find the route of the
bug.  Then, I can file an official bug that explains the issue.  I don't
know if the issue is operating system-specific or not.
> Keith
I hope this helps!

> On 05/02/14 12:39, null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>     In LibreOffice 4.2, there is an option under the View menu in
>> LibreOffice Writer/Web labeled "HTML Source."  Be sure that that item
>> is unchecked.  Also, if that doesn't fix the problem, try going into
>> LibreOffice, selecting File>New>HTML Document, and once in
>> Writer/Web, go to File>Open and select the HTML file.  For me, HTML
>> files load in LibreOffice 4.2.0.4 correctly. Did this fix the issue?
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 2/4/2014 7:28 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> Has anyone experienced this new problem (or is it a feature?) in 4.2?
>>>
>>> In previous versions of LO, opening an html file would give you the
>>> file as would be seen on a web browser.
>>>
>>> In 4.2 it is the actual html code that is displayed. This behaviour
>>> happens when opening any html document or inserting an html file
>>> into an open LO document.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way around this?
>>>
>>> I use moneydance to track finances, and it allows reports to be
>>> saved in html. Producing printed reports used to be a matter of
>>> simply opening the Income and Expenses report in LO, inserting the
>>> Account Balances at the end of the report, then edit titles, styles
>>> etc at will.
>>>
>>> I have discovered that I can open the html files in Firefox, then
>>> copy and paste into LO, but that does seem unnecessarily
>>> complicated, when it used to just work in a single step.

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

On 05/02/14 14:48, null wrote:

> NOTE: If you received this e-mail twice, I apologize.  It doesn't look
> like Nabble, the mailing list interface, picked it up.  So, I am
> resending it to the list.
> Hello,
> On 2/4/2014 10:06 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> No, I made sure that the "HTML source" item was not selected. I've
>> tried a few different files generated by different sources. Generally
>> they behave as I described, although I did find one that opened
>> correctly.
> What kind of files did you try that were generated by different
> programs?  Which ones worked?  Do all the files have the .html
> extension, or are some .xhtml, etc?  Do you know if there is a certain
> pattern in the source code of each file that causes LibreOffice to
> display the source?  When I tried loading an HTML file into
> LibreOffice 4.2, it worked correctly.  If the files do not contain any
> sensitive, personal, or otherwise information that you do not want to
> publish, you can send the list and I the HTML files you tried.
> However, *E-Mail attachments are not accepted by the LibreOffice
> mailing list server*.  If you use the mailing list via Nabble, I think
> you can upload a file to the server.  If you use an E-Mail client to
> use the mailing list, you can use something like Sendspace
> (http://www.sendspace.com/).

I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html

Strangely it does open in Abiword.

Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month open
fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.

Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
produced lately by moneydance.

I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.

The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

I use 4.1.4 on Ubuntu
I only had View / Print Layout, Web Layout when viewing an HTML file.

Then I played around with the LO Writer and Writer/Web options, plus the
Internet options.
After I added the "browser plug-in optional check-box, the page now had
View/HTML_Source.
I did not save the HTML file, since I did not want any changes to the
web page.
Now that HTML file opens and always shows the View HTML_source, but then
opening a second HTML file along with the first one, afer I unchecked
everything I thought I changed, it opens without the HTML_Source
option.  Two files opened at the same time and one has the View
HTML_Source and the other does not.

SO, why is one now showing that HTML source option and the other does
not.  The HTML_Source one did not originally have that option till I did
some check-box adding.  So something changed to see the HTML source code
in Writer for the original and not for the next one.

YES, it is weird.

Well, now I just opened the first file and it is no longer showing the
HTML_Source view option.  Weirder yet.

It might have something to do with the "Field Code" check-box in
Writer/Web, and the Internet / Browser Plug-in / Display documents in
browser check-box.  Right now, I have the field code check-box checked
in Writer, but not in Writer/Web.

So do you have the Field Code check-boxes checked in one or both
Writer/Web view and Writer view options, and the browser plug-in checked?

Why you see the view source option for one file and then not for another
is a mystery.  Was there some "script" tagged with the original file for
a bit so it would show the HTML source view but not tagged with the
other file.  Then get "untagged" with the first one after playing around
again with the check-boxes during the viewing of the file, so the LO
shut down and then opening the first page again after restarting LO.

SO, this source viewing and non source viewing of the HTML files/pages
is in Ubuntu's 4.1.4 [64-bit] version and not just in 4.2.0.4.

ALSO, it seems to open differently with how the page is opened. Close
all your LO documents.  This will display the option showing Text
Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, etc..  Also it shows the "Open"
option.  I just found out that if I press the "Text Document" option to
open the HTML file, it does not show the HTML Source viewing option.
Yet, if I open the same file using the "Open" option, instead of the
"Text Document" option, I get to see the HTML Source viewing option.

So how are you opening your files?  Open Text Documents?  Or, just the
"Open" option?  It does seem to make a difference in 4.1.4.2. It may
have the same affect in 4.2.0.4.

[hopefully you are not confused by my descriptions, since it is about
3:30 in the morning here.  Got up to see the snow storm that hit here a
few hours ago and now predicted to be in full force.]

On 02/04/2014 10:33 PM, null wrote:

> [...]
> data), I might be able to examine the file's source and find the route
> of the bug.  Then, I can file an official bug that explains the
> issue.  I don't know if the issue is operating system-specific or not.
>> Keith
> I hope this helps!
>
> Regards,
> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 05/02/14 12:39, null wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>     In LibreOffice 4.2, there is an option under the View menu in
>>> LibreOffice Writer/Web labeled "HTML Source."  Be sure that that
>>> item is unchecked.  Also, if that doesn't fix the problem, try going
>>> into LibreOffice, selecting File>New>HTML Document, and once in
>>> Writer/Web, go to File>Open and select the HTML file.  For me, HTML
>>> files load in LibreOffice 4.2.0.4 correctly. Did this fix the issue?

TomD TomD

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hi :)
Sorry!  2 waggle-the-wires 'answers'.

Have you tried getting to the libreoffice splash-screen (ie with no
documents open) and then dragging the html file into the grey area
where a document would normally be showing?

Also have you tried using
File - Open
and then navigated to the html file to see if that opens it?

On 5 February 2014 08:46, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> LibreOffice (with all of the settings reset).  If you urgently need a
>> temporary solution, and nothing works, you can download LibreOffice 4.1.4
>> from: http://mirror.nexcess.net/tdf/libreoffice/stable/4.1.4/  Just select
>> the type you want (I don't know if you prefer the RPM or the Debian
>> package).
>>>

>>> If I start with a blank html document and use Insert-File it shows up as
>>> the source.
>>>
>>> I'm using the linux version of LO. Are you using Windows or Linux?
>>
>> I am using Windows Vista, and sometimes Windows 8 (mostly Vista). If you
>> are able to send the HTML files (at least one that works and one that
>> doesn't) to the list and I (that doesn't contain any personal data), I might
>> be able to examine the file's source and find the route of the bug.  Then, I
>> can file an official bug that explains the issue.  I don't know if the issue

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

     It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the top
of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01, etc) the
file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
<!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you want
to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
<!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
fix it?

On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:

> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>
> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>
> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>
> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
> produced lately by moneydance.
>
> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>
> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

I would say yes to that.
Since LO seems to be used as a web editor - i.e. LibreOffice Writer/Web
options - we should not need to remove the DOCTYPE tag from the HTML
files to get it to work.

On 02/05/2014 10:59 AM, null wrote:

> Hello,
>     It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
> DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the
> top of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01,
> etc) the file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
> Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
> file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
> file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
> <!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you
> want to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
> <!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
> to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
> fix it?
>
> Regards,
> [hidden email]
>
> On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>>
>> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>>
>> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
>> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>>
>> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
>> produced lately by moneydance.
>>
>> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
>> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>>
>> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Uploading the document to the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
it appears the DOCTYPE is not valid. It should be:
-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
(the file is missing "//EN" from the end).

The original document doesn't fail with the version of LO I have, so
cannot check, but try correcting the DOCTYPE. If that allows the file to
open as expected, it appears the problem is with moneydance producing
invalid output, rather than with LO.

Arbitrarily changing the DOCTYPE to indicate HTML5 may well also fail,
as the rest of the document is not valid HTML5.

Mark.

null wrote:

> Hello,
>      It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
> DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the top
> of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01, etc) the
> file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
> Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
> file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
> file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
> <!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you want
> to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
> <!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
> to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
> fix it?
>
> Regards,
> [hidden email]
>
> On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>>
>> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>>
>> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
>> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>>
>> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
>> produced lately by moneydance.
>>
>> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
>> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>>
>> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

To edit HTML files, I tend to use Kompozer, an WYSIWYG HTML editor, or
just a plain text editor.

On 02/05/2014 02:45 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:

> Uploading the document to the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
> it appears the DOCTYPE is not valid. It should be:
> -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
> (the file is missing "//EN" from the end).
>
> The original document doesn't fail with the version of LO I have, so
> cannot check, but try correcting the DOCTYPE. If that allows the file
> to open as expected, it appears the problem is with moneydance
> producing invalid output, rather than with LO.
>
> Arbitrarily changing the DOCTYPE to indicate HTML5 may well also fail,
> as the rest of the document is not valid HTML5.
>
> Mark.
>

> null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>      It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
>> DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the top
>> of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01, etc) the
>> file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
>> Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
>> file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
>> file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
>> <!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you want
>> to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
>> <!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
>> to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
>> fix it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>>>
>>> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>>>
>>> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
>>> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>>>
>>> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
>>> produced lately by moneydance.
>>>
>>> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
>>> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>>>
>>> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

On 2/5/2014 2:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Uploading the document to the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
> it appears the DOCTYPE is not valid. It should be:
> -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
> (the file is missing "//EN" from the end).
Not only that; there should be a reference to
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd at the end of the DOCTYPE section!
The HTML DOCTYPE is messed up.

> The original document doesn't fail with the version of LO I have, so
> cannot check, but try correcting the DOCTYPE. If that allows the file
> to open as expected, it appears the problem is with moneydance
> producing invalid output, rather than with LO.
Unfortunately, the corrected syntax doesn't fix a thing.  I think the
LibreOffce HTML parser might not handle DOCTYPEs correctly?  It worked
in previous versions.  If I were to put a comment like <!-- Hello world
--> or something else into the HTML file (DOCTYPE removed), the parser
recognizes it.  Even inserting <!THISISNOTADOCTYPE> works.  It is just
when there is a DOCTYPE, even with correct syntax, that the LibreOffice
HTML parser is tripped.

> Arbitrarily changing the DOCTYPE to indicate HTML5 may well also fail,
> as the rest of the document is not valid HTML5.
>

> Mark.

> null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>      It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
>> DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the top
>> of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01, etc) the
>> file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
>> Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
>> file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
>> file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
>> <!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you want
>> to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
>> <!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
>> to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
>> fix it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>>>
>>> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>>>
>>> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
>>> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>>>
>>> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
>>> produced lately by moneydance.
>>>
>>> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
>>> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>>>
>>> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.
>>>

> .

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

     I just discovered something.  If the DOCTYPE of the HTML file is
not the topmost line (line 1), LibreOffice renders the file fine
(instead of showing the source).  However, If there is a blank line
before the DOCTYPE (like the HTML file Keith uploaded), the HTML parser
is tripped and shows the source.  So maybe LibreOffice expects the
DOCTYPE to be on line 1, and if not on line 1, panics and doesn't render
the HTML.  But still, LibreOffice shouldn't have trouble rendering the
file, even if the person who wrote the HTML (or the generator) didn't
follow every strict standard.  Web browsers know how to adapt to that
kind of stuff.
So, the file that Keith uploaded renders successfully in LibreOffice 4.2
if the <!DOCTYPE ...> syntax is corrected to:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/loose.dtd">
, and the DOCTYPE is on line 1.  Is anyone able to confirm this?
Not to mention the unclosed <P> (paragraph) tag in the HTML file
(luckily that didn't seem to influence whether Writer/Web rendered the
page correctly).

On 2/5/2014 2:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Uploading the document to the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
> it appears the DOCTYPE is not valid. It should be:
> -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
> (the file is missing "//EN" from the end).
>
> The original document doesn't fail with the version of LO I have, so
> cannot check, but try correcting the DOCTYPE. If that allows the file
> to open as expected, it appears the problem is with moneydance
> producing invalid output, rather than with LO.
>
> Arbitrarily changing the DOCTYPE to indicate HTML5 may well also fail,
> as the rest of the document is not valid HTML5.
>
> Mark.
>

> null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>      It looks like the problem is with LibreOffice interpreting
>> DOCTYPEs.  You see, every HTML is supposed to have a DOCTYPE at the top
>> of the file, explaining what version of HTML (HTML5, HTML4.01, etc) the
>> file uses.  The file you uploaded has a DOCTYPE of HTML4.01
>> Transitional.  Anyway, if I remove the <!DOCTYPE ...> part of the HTML
>> file, and reopen it in LibreOffice, it works just fine, and shows the
>> file's contents (not the source). Even switching the DOCTYPE to
>> <!DOCTYPE html> (HTML5) causes the problem.  So, in theory, if you want
>> to view an HTML file in LibreOffice 4.2, you have to remove its
>> <!DOCTYPE ...>, and it will work fine.  Would you like an official bug
>> to be filed so that the developers know of the problem and can try to
>> fix it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 2/5/2014 12:05 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> I've produced a document that doesn't work with LO. It is at
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbylcso4r2qm2r2/test.html
>>>
>>> Strangely it does open in Abiword.
>>>
>>> Earlier documents produced by moneydance as recently as last month
>>> open fine in LO. I have not upgraded moneydance in that time.
>>>
>>> Having quickly opened about 20 html's the problem is limited to those
>>> produced lately by moneydance.
>>>
>>> I haven't had time to look closely at the html source. I suppose it's
>>> possible that LO is now being more strict in its interpretation.
>>>
>>> The work around in the short term might be to use Abiword.
>>>

> .

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hi,

I've just tried all of those changes and none of them work.

Additionally, I've tried opening from a blank Writer/Web document, from
file manager, from the opening screen- all with the same result.

Just for reference, as we seem to be getting very different results my
version of LO reports as Version: 4.2.0.4 Build ID: 420m0(Build:4)

Keith

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hello,
On 2/5/2014 5:29 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried all of those changes and none of them work.
Does this file work?:
https://doc-0g-8s-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/ha0ro937gcuc7l7deffksulhg5h7mbp1/8ka37k9nojan5h3m348ambggvqd7vnq8/1391637600000/12418654871184392135/*/0B-6nu1NEycJ0bTMwQWppVUtaZEU?h=16653014193614665626&e=download
It is a revised version of the Moneydance file you sent me.  It renders
fine in LibreOffice.  The reason I am asking you to try so many things
is so that I can attempt to gather enough information to file a bug.

> Additionally, I've tried opening from a blank Writer/Web document,
> from file manager, from the opening screen- all with the same result.
>
> Just for reference, as we seem to be getting very different results my
> version of LO reports as Version: 4.2.0.4 Build ID: 420m0(Build:4)
Mine reports as:
Version: 4.2.0.4
Build ID: 05dceb5d363845f2cf968344d7adab8dcfb2ba71

> Keith

> On 06/02/14 09:07, null wrote:
>> Hello,
>>     I just discovered something.  If the DOCTYPE of the HTML file is
>> not the topmost line (line 1), LibreOffice renders the file fine
>> (instead of showing the source).  However, If there is a blank line
>> before the DOCTYPE (like the HTML file Keith uploaded), the HTML
>> parser is tripped and shows the source.  So maybe LibreOffice expects
>> the DOCTYPE to be on line 1, and if not on line 1, panics and doesn't
>> render the HTML.  But still, LibreOffice shouldn't have trouble
>> rendering the file, even if the person who wrote the HTML (or the
>> generator) didn't follow every strict standard.  Web browsers know
>> how to adapt to that kind of stuff.
>> So, the file that Keith uploaded renders successfully in LibreOffice
>> 4.2 if the <!DOCTYPE ...> syntax is corrected to:
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/loose.dtd">
>> , and the DOCTYPE is on line 1.  Is anyone able to confirm this?
>> Not to mention the unclosed <P> (paragraph) tag in the HTML file
>> (luckily that didn't seem to influence whether Writer/Web rendered
>> the page correctly).
>>
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]

>>> Uploading the document to the W3C validator
>>> (http://validator.w3.org/) it appears the DOCTYPE is not valid. It
>>> should be:
>>> -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
>>> (the file is missing "//EN" from the end).
>>>
>>> The original document doesn't fail with the version of LO I have, so
>>> cannot check, but try correcting the DOCTYPE. If that allows the
>>> file to open as expected, it appears the problem is with moneydance
>>> producing invalid output, rather than with LO.
>>>
>>> Arbitrarily changing the DOCTYPE to indicate HTML5 may well also
>>> fail, as the rest of the document is not valid HTML5.
>>>
>>> Mark.

>>> .

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Yes!! It works!

I see that as well as the other changes relating to the DOCTYPE line
you've added a <html> tag.

Keith

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hello,
On 2/5/2014 6:16 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
> Yes!! It works!
>

> I see that as well as the other changes relating to the DOCTYPE line
> you've added a <html> tag.
Well, actually, there was an HTML tag in the file before.  You may not
have seen it because the source was crammed into one line.  I think I
have enough information to file a bug!

> Keith
Congrats and regards from
[hidden email]

> On 06/02/14 09:56, null wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On 2/5/2014 5:29 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just tried all of those changes and none of them work.
>> Does this file work?:
>> https://doc-0g-8s-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/ha0ro937gcuc7l7deffksulhg5h7mbp1/8ka37k9nojan5h3m348ambggvqd7vnq8/1391637600000/12418654871184392135/*/0B-6nu1NEycJ0bTMwQWppVUtaZEU?h=16653014193614665626&e=download
>> It is a revised version of the Moneydance file you sent me.  It
>> renders fine in LibreOffice.  The reason I am asking you to try so
>> many things is so that I can attempt to gather enough information to
>> file a bug.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I've tried opening from a blank Writer/Web document,
>>> from file manager, from the opening screen- all with the same result.
>>>
>>> Just for reference, as we seem to be getting very different results
>>> my version of LO reports as Version: 4.2.0.4 Build ID: 420m0(Build:4)
>> Mine reports as:
>> Version: 4.2.0.4
>> Build ID: 05dceb5d363845f2cf968344d7adab8dcfb2ba71
>>>

>>> Keith
>> Regards,
>> [hidden email]

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

On 06/02/14 10:21, null wrote:

> Hello,
> On 2/5/2014 6:16 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> Yes!! It works!
>>

>> I see that as well as the other changes relating to the DOCTYPE line
>> you've added a <html> tag.
> Well, actually, there was an HTML tag in the file before.  You may not
> have seen it because the source was crammed into one line.  I think I
> have enough information to file a bug!

Thank you for helping with this. Feel free to use the file as an example
if needed.

I hope that the devs can fix this soon,

Keith

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way
the Truth and the Life

null null

Re: Importing HTML in LO 4.2

Hello,
On 2/5/2014 6:26 PM, Keith Bates wrote:

> On 06/02/14 10:21, null wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On 2/5/2014 6:16 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> Yes!! It works!
>>>

>>> I see that as well as the other changes relating to the DOCTYPE line
>>> you've added a <html> tag.
>> Well, actually, there was an HTML tag in the file before.  You may
>> not have seen it because the source was crammed into one line.  I
>> think I have enough information to file a bug!
>
> Thank you for helping with this. Feel free to use the file as an
> example if needed.
Here is the official bug report:
https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=74595

> I hope that the devs can fix this soon,
Thanks for reporting the issue.  Now that it has been reported, it might
be fixed.