Impress can't handle eps images

tedc tedc

Impress can't handle eps images

Using LibreOffice 5.0.6.2 under CentOS 7.x. Impress can't handle eps images--output pdf contains only completely unreadable low res bitmaps. I haven't tried Writer yet, but wouldn't be surprised if the same problem happens. This is a huge fail, makes LO totally useless for me and many others. Almost all of my writing is scientific/technical, and the graphics I insert into documents are almost exclusively eps. I have written literally hundreds of documents that contain thousands of eps figures. Converting those to bitmaps is a non-starter, not least because of the inherent limitations of bitmaps. This has been a known problem with LO since about version 4.2, and several fixes and workarounds have been discussed but so far nothing has been done that addresses users' needs. Users already have their own projects and need software that works, not another project.
anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Impress can't handle eps images

       So sorry you're having problems;

       My suggestion though would be to convert these .eps images to an
updated image,
          (1) before you discover these have allowed some hacker into your
machine;
          (2) to become more compatible with those to whom you transfer
data -
                 [Adobe is an old program, which even MsFt's software no
longer acknowledges as safe]
          (3) checking .eps on-line, I discovered no software - other than
converters - recognize this anymore.

       Hoping this helps,
          although I'm sorry it's not what you were hoping to hear,

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Impress can't handle eps images

Understand the appeal for not having to convert, but until a built-in LibreOffice implementation--tdf#67464--not dependent on Ghostscript, ImageMagick, or pstoedit external packages is tackled--its conversion or lousy quality.

But for starters, be sure the eps you are using does not have a preview (TIFF or BMP), strip it out.  That forces a full resolution rendering to the LO document canvas and on export to PDF.

Or better do a conversion to SVG (or other canvas, PNG if you're OK with raster) .

Personally, I prefer a combination of Ghostscript's "ps2pdf" utility:

   ps2pdf -dEPSCrop in.eps out.pdf

and Poppler's (from poppler-utils) "pdftocairo" utility:

   pdftocairo -svg out.pdf out.svg

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Impress can't handle eps images

Hi.
A thread on it here.
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Writer-and-EPS-images-td4142814.html#a4142849

Steve

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

tedc wrote:
> Using LibreOffice 5.0.6.2 under CentOS 7.x. Impress can't handle eps
> images--output pdf contains only completely unreadable low res
> bitmaps.

Rather than exporting as PDF, have you tried File > Export and select
EPS for "Save as type"?

--
Mark.