Impress(ing) Templates

Next » 123
Kevin Soviero Kevin Soviero

Impress(ing) Templates

As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
templates from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were to
make a set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for
Impress, if we could get them included by default?

--
Kevin Soviero
Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Luca Candela Luca Candela

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

I really like this idea.

--
Luca Candela
Sent with Sparrow
On Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Kevin Soviero wrote:

> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
> templates from OOo Impress is terrible. I was wondering if I were to
> make a set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for
> Impress, if we could get them included by default?
>
> --
> Kevin Soviero
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Phone: (512) 672-9641

Kevin Soviero Kevin Soviero

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Here is my Wiki page, I will be posting templates as they are finished:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Impress_Themes_~ksoviero

In fact a green theme is already there, I am going to convert it to Blue
and Orange later.

I would also like to submit a complaint:  The wiki is setup to not allow
".otp" (Presentation Template) files!?

--
Kevin Soviero
Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Phone: (512) 672-9641

Paulo José Amaro Paulo José Amaro

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

It's a great idea! I think some steps to start this should be:
1. Choose some main topics to cover with the templates, for all types of
presentation: school, enterprise, marketing...
2. Look for the real presentations in each topics. There are many sites
of slide sharing, when you can find the most rated presentations. I
gives the feeling of what is needed to achieve in each template.
3. Work hard to create the best templates in a office suite ever! :D

Count with me,
~Paulo

I ever start with the Ubuntu one... :P

On 31-01-2011 01:45, Kevin Soviero wrote:
> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
> templates from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were to
> make a set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for
> Impress, if we could get them included by default?

--
Paulo José O. Amaro
Computer Science Student

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi Kevin,

I had attempted a long time ago a similar project for OOo before I became
overwhelmed by other commitments and had to drop the topic.  One minor issue
I met with was finding templates that satisfied the design community while
satisfying user expectations.  What I mean is, users (according to the
design community) often make horrible presentations; however, users expect
certain features to be available in their design templates.

<Very slightly off-topic> I think we could use a LibreOffice Impress
template that could be very helpful for the community to make LibO
presentations.  Features could include using the paper tab (the top right of
the logo) as bullets at the primary level, the LibO logo perhaps in the top
left and then of course some nice and simple design background.  (These are
just suggestions you can do whatever you like, of course).  Its not
explicitly related to your topic but it could be really helpful for branding
and the like if you have the time.

Cheers,
Jaron

2011/1/31 Paulo José <[hidden email]>

> It's a great idea! I think some steps to start this should be:
> 1. Choose some main topics to cover with the templates, for all types of
> presentation: school, enterprise, marketing...
> 2. Look for the real presentations in each topics. There are many sites of
> slide sharing, when you can find the most rated presentations. I gives the
> feeling of what is needed to achieve in each template.
> 3. Work hard to create the best templates in a office suite ever! :D
>
> Count with me,
> ~Paulo
>
> I ever start with the Ubuntu one... :P
>

> On 31-01-2011 01:45, Kevin Soviero wrote:
>
>> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of templates
>> from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were to make a set (lets
>> say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for Impress, if we could get
>> them included by default?
>>

> --
> Paulo José O. Amaro
> Computer Science Student
> Federal University of São João del-Rei
> WebDesigner / Linked Empresa Júnior
> Blogger / casatwain.com

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi Jaron, hi Kevin, hi Paulo!

Kevin, creating good templates is a tough job ... so if you want to
start, that's more than appreciated ;-)

Am Dienstag, den 01.02.2011, 15:50 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
> <Very slightly off-topic> I think we could use a LibreOffice Impress
> template that could be very helpful for the community to make LibO
> presentations.  Features could include using the paper tab (the top right of
> the logo) as bullets at the primary level, the LibO logo perhaps in the top
> left and then of course some nice and simple design background.  (These are
> just suggestions you can do whatever you like, of course).  Its not
> explicitly related to your topic but it could be really helpful for branding
> and the like if you have the time.

We started a template some weeks ago, now it really needs some tweaking
- the colors are a bit outdated, the design doesn't fit to the recent
website / branding overhaul, but at least, it's there :-)

Kevin (or anybody else) if you want to pick this up, more information
can be found here (see Official Presentation Template):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Work_Items

An older blog posting describing the template:
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/10/libreoffice-presentation-template-first.html

Cheers,
Christoph

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi Christoph, Kevin, Paulo,

Kevin, if you would prefer to focus on your general templates I would be
more than happy to modify the existing LibO Official Presentation Template.
Please let me know your preference (I am amenable either way).

Christoph, I must have completely missed that in your work items list...  I
even explicitly looked for it... go figure.  Glad you set me straight. :-)

Cheers,
Jaron

Am Dienstag, den 01.02.2011, 16:09 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
> Christoph, I must have completely missed that in your work items
> list...  I
> even explicitly looked for it... go figure.  Glad you set me
> straight. :-)

Just one small correction, it's "our work items" list ;-)))

If you need any help, let me know!

Cheers,
Christoph

Kevin Soviero Kevin Soviero

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Alright, How about we carve template design up into sections, one (or
more) for each of us...

For example, I am good at making the background (not just cause its easy
;)), and I can coordinate colors.  We need someone to do the technical
stuff (title placement, etc...) , and we need to come up with the
subjects to base the templates on.  Your list is a very good start though...

Any other jobs you can think of?

On 01/31/2011 08:43 PM, Paulo José wrote:

> It's a great idea! I think some steps to start this should be:
> 1. Choose some main topics to cover with the templates, for all types
> of presentation: school, enterprise, marketing...
> 2. Look for the real presentations in each topics. There are many
> sites of slide sharing, when you can find the most rated
> presentations. I gives the feeling of what is needed to achieve in
> each template.
> 3. Work hard to create the best templates in a office suite ever! :D
>
> Count with me,
> ~Paulo
>
> I ever start with the Ubuntu one... :P
>
> On 31-01-2011 01:45, Kevin Soviero wrote:
>> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
>> templates from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were to
>> make a set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for
>> Impress, if we could get them included by default?

--
Kevin Soviero
Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Phone: (512) 672-9641

Paulo José Amaro Paulo José Amaro

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi Kevin, all,

Yeah, we need some help with typography too. There's someway to include
fonts (open source) in a template? Just like is done in PDF files... It
would be great and improve a lot our presentations.

Over, I'm working in some general templates too, just to help our
"start". :D I'll post them in my [new] blog when its finished.
http://paulojose-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2011/02/bachianas-no1-libreoffice-templates.html

On 01-02-2011 19:40, Kevin Soviero wrote:

> Alright, How about we carve template design up into sections, one (or
> more) for each of us...
>
> For example, I am good at making the background (not just cause its
> easy ;)), and I can coordinate colors.  We need someone to do the
> technical stuff (title placement, etc...) , and we need to come up
> with the subjects to base the templates on.  Your list is a very good
> start though...
>
> Any other jobs you can think of?
>
> On 01/31/2011 08:43 PM, Paulo José wrote:
>> It's a great idea! I think some steps to start this should be:
>> 1. Choose some main topics to cover with the templates, for all types
>> of presentation: school, enterprise, marketing...
>> 2. Look for the real presentations in each topics. There are many
>> sites of slide sharing, when you can find the most rated
>> presentations. I gives the feeling of what is needed to achieve in
>> each template.
>> 3. Work hard to create the best templates in a office suite ever! :D
>>
>> Count with me,
>> ~Paulo
>>
>> I ever start with the Ubuntu one... :P
>>
>> On 31-01-2011 01:45, Kevin Soviero wrote:
>>> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
>>> templates from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were
>>> to make a set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates
>>> for Impress, if we could get them included by default?

--
Paulo José O. Amaro
Computer Science Student
Federal University of São João del-Rei
WebDesigner / Linked Empresa Júnior
Blogger / casatwain.com

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi LibO Designers,

Quick question...  Is anyone familiar with the following:
- Right-to-left language templates  (ex: Arabic, Hebrew)
- Top-to-bottom language templates  (ex: Chinese)

I feel like it would be nice if we supported those with at least one general
use template for each language direction.  What do people think?  I am
personally completely unfamiliar with top-to-bottom languages in the context
of presentations.

Cheers,
Jaron

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Kevin Soviero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alright, How about we carve template design up into sections, one (or more)
> for each of us...
>
> For example, I am good at making the background (not just cause its easy
> ;)), and I can coordinate colors.  We need someone to do the technical stuff
> (title placement, etc...) , and we need to come up with the subjects to base
> the templates on.  Your list is a very good start though...
>
> Any other jobs you can think of?
>

> On 01/31/2011 08:43 PM, Paulo José wrote:
>
>> It's a great idea! I think some steps to start this should be:
>> 1. Choose some main topics to cover with the templates, for all types of
>> presentation: school, enterprise, marketing...
>> 2. Look for the real presentations in each topics. There are many sites of
>> slide sharing, when you can find the most rated presentations. I gives the
>> feeling of what is needed to achieve in each template.
>> 3. Work hard to create the best templates in a office suite ever! :D
>>
>> Count with me,
>> ~Paulo
>>
>> I ever start with the Ubuntu one... :P
>>
>> On 31-01-2011 01:45, Kevin Soviero wrote:
>>
>>> As I am sure most of you have noticed by now, the default set of
>>> templates from OOo Impress is terrible.  I was wondering if I were to make a
>>> set (lets say 10 - 20) of really high quality templates for Impress, if we
>>> could get them included by default?
>>>

> --
> Kevin Soviero
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Phone: (512) 672-9641

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi LibO Designers,

Sorry for a second email already. ;-)
I decided to send out a list of potential template categories that Kevin and
I would use to guide our development of the default LibO templates.  I
wasn't sure how to get started so I thought about use cases for Impress and
then created potential template categories as follows (with design concepts
in parenthesizes):

*Academic templates:*
 - Architecture/Engineering (I-beam or similar structural element)
 - Biology/Chemistry (chemical symbol or stylized chemical model)
 - Social Sciences (one template as a sociology image)
 - *Economics could overlap with Business template and Geography could
overlap with travel*
 - Performing arts
 - History
*Business Templates:*
 - Business logo oriented theme (could include directions in theme to
substitute a company logo for a placeholder within the master)
 - Motivational: (Stylized human reaching for star)
*Leisure & home Templates:
* - Photobooks ("bound book" look)
 - Weddings or other life-events
 - Sports (maybe a Futbol theme as it is the most popular sport
internationally)
*Nature and Travel Templates:*
 - Seasonal (perhaps a simple one for each season)
 - Nature and animals
 - Travel (Famous locations or a stylized map/compass)
*General Templates:*
 - Solid color (currently available in LibO, so we should evaluate which
ones we want to keep)
 - High contrast (Simple black on white or similar)
 - *Right-to-left language templates:* exs: Arabic, Hebrew
 - *Top-to-bottom language Templates:* exs: Chinese

Please provide feedback or direction as Kevin and I move forward on
developing a few templates.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Jaron

Am Montag, den 07.02.2011, 16:36 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
> Please provide feedback or direction as Kevin and I move forward on
> developing a few templates.  Thanks!

Thanks for having a look on this topic - I'm not that helpful here (in
person), but I wanted to ask whether the OOo user survey data might be
helpful to group the items.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:OOoUserSurvey2009_Final.ods

Cheers,
Christoph

Paulo José Amaro Paulo José Amaro

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

It seems to be very useful! Good job Jaron and Christoph! :)

--
Paulo José O. Amaro
Computer Science Student
Federal University of São João del-Rei
WebDesigner / Linked Empresa Júnior
Blogger / casatwain.com

bedipp bedipp

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi all,

Paulo José schrieb:
> It seems to be very useful! Good job Jaron and Christoph! :)

... and Kevin! :-)

> On 09-02-2011 19:25, Christoph Noack wrote:
>> Hi Jaron!
>>
>> Am Montag, den 07.02.2011, 16:36 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
>>> Please provide feedback or direction as Kevin_Items and I move forward on
>>> developing a few templates. Thanks!

If you didn't already (sorry if I don't remember every mail I read
during the last week), would you mind to create a dedicated wiki page
for the presentation template work?

Something like

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Presentation_Templates

(Any better structure idea welcome)

I think it might be a good idea to collect the template categories and
some more specific information there, allowing others (from other teams,
if interested) to join.

Best regards

Bernhard

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Le 2011-02-10 05:58, Bernhard Dippold a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Paulo José schrieb:
>> It seems to be very useful! Good job Jaron and Christoph! :)
>
> ... and Kevin! :-)
>>
>> On 09-02-2011 19:25, Christoph Noack wrote:
>>> Hi Jaron!

> If you didn't already (sorry if I don't remember every mail I read
> during the last week), would you mind to create a dedicated wiki page
> for the presentation template work?
>
> Something like
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Presentation_Templates
>
> (Any better structure idea welcome)
>
> I think it might be a good idea to collect the template categories and
> some more specific information there, allowing others (from other teams,
> if interested) to join.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

FYI, if this make any difference:

There is also the attempt to migrate to OOo templates to our site. But
licensing issues are still being considered. It is filling up slowly.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Downloads/Templates

Also, I had started this in the ideas section:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas/Template_team

Cheers

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi, :-)

I'd also been thinking about uploading templates to the Alfresco site,
where I was hoping the docs team would like to play an active part in
maintaining them.

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

[OFF TOPIC] Re: [libreoffice-design] Impress(ing) Templates --

Le 2011-02-10 06:40, David Nelson a écrit :
> Hi, :-)
>
> I'd also been thinking about uploading templates to the Alfresco site,
> where I was hoping the docs team would like to play an active part in
> maintaining them.
>
> David Nelson

It would be so much simpler if there were a way for people to submit
their templates on the website with all of the pertinent data --
especially with contact email/website. This would certainly ease the
submission/migration of templates.

As for the migration, Alex has suggested that we be careful in what we
migrate and to closely examine the templates' licences to see if this is
clearly permissible. Also, I have found that many of the templates lack
contact information. It is then very difficult to get author permission
to migrate the template to our site if contact information is not
available or out of date.

We have the chance of starting off the wiki or website template section
the right way at this point. We should avoid the feeling of piling each
and every template found everywhere without really examining the
implications of the licences. IMHO, there should be an established
process to do this. Contacting the author is obviously the best option.
Again, even better, if the authors could somehow submit their templates
on the site itself.

The LibreOffice name and website, in my mind, is too important of a
project to fall into trouble over licensing issues. The same would most
likely apply to extension licences.

Cheers

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Impress(ing) Templates

Hi, :-)

Whereas I quite see the advantage of designers working on some of the
presentation aspects of templates, it's worth remembering that many of
the best templates - notably those used by wizards - contain
automation-related features (macros, fields, etc.), often with heavy
use of styles, which are aspects that some members of the docs team
relish. Not to mention the aspect of maintaining the texts in
templates, indexing them, preparing them for translation, etc.

So it would be quite logical to get the docs team closely involved...

The docs team seems indeed to be evolving towards using Alfresco as
its working environment, although the wiki is still the final drop
point for finished stuff ready for the end user base.

What's more, the design team itself might find some attractive
advantages in using Alfresco as a storage medium and workflow
management system...

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [OFF TOPIC] Re: [libreoffice-design] Impress(ing) Templates --

Hi, :-)

When it's not possible to establish definite licensing for a template,
does that perhaps suggest that either there was never any formal
licensing or that we couldn't really be blamed much for further
distributing it?

Also, many of the templates we might accumulate would probably undergo
some additional development/maintenance work, and might even end up a
bit unrecognizable...

I do understand your praiseworthy concerns, Marc, but I'm wondering if
you're not being a *little* over-cautious?

What do others think?

David Nelson

Next » 123