Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

Hi Matthias,

It is awesome to see you working on the Sifr theme :-) - thank you for
that!

I see that only png's came in with your commit:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=51c8fb46743c43b1b460086d148a5facd7b004fa

Please, where are the svg sources for them?

Actually, that's a question for all involved with the Sifr theme
work :-) - would be great to have all the sources around, so that we can
potentially re-generate that for higher resolutions, etc.

Do we have such a place with all the Sifr source SVG's?  How it is
organized?

Thank you a lot,
Kendy

Papamatti-2 Papamatti-2

Re: Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

Hi Jan,

the sources of the svg data are at github:
https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons

More infos at redmine:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/projects/design/boards

Matthias

Papamatti píše v St 24. 09. 2014 v 22:37 +0200:

> the sources of the svg data are at github:
> https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons

Great :-)  Please is there a reason why they are on github, and not in
the LibreOffice repository?

> More infos at redmine:
> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/projects/design/boards

I'd be most interested in knowing how they are organized, and how it is
possible to re-generate the .png's automatically.

I've communicated recently with Mirek about that, and we came up with a
way how to automatize that for

https://github.com/libodesign/tango-testing/blob/master/text.svg

Basically, to get eg. lc_color.png , you can do:

cp text.svg blah.svg ; \
inkscape -f blah.svg --select lc_color --verb=FitCanvasToSelection --verb=LayerDelete --verb=FileSave --verb=FileClose ; \
inkscape blah.svg -w 48 -h 48 -e lc_color.png

[so it is possible to a script that does that for all bitmaps in the
text.svg]

Does this work for the sifr icons too, or do they use a different
organization than the tango-testing?

[Why I am asking: I am interested in generating hi-dpi versions of the
icons suitable for hi-dpi displays :-)]

Thank you a lot,
Kendy

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

Hi Kendy,
Sorry for being unresponsive lately -- I really didn't have time.

It's a plan to move the Sifr icons (which, right now, are all over the
place -- GitHub doesn't contain all the icons, apparently) to the same icon
sheets that Tango uses. I'll get on that as soon as I have time, or as soon
as someone takes the initiative.

I've looked at the script, but I think for now, given the time it takes and
the low number of icons we have, it's going to be easier to use Inkscape's
Batch Export functionality and move icons to folders manually (most of them
reside in cmd anyway). We can use the script once most icons are done.
(Sorry that I encouraged you to make the script so much -- if it proved
impossible to make a script, we would probably consider moving to the same
icon architecture Gnome has.) I can export the current Tango icons at twice
the resolution, and I think I can do that with Sifr as well -- will do so
soon, send you the result. (Remind me if I don't.)

The icons are on GitHub because designers tend to use Sparkleshare, which
would pollute freedesktop's log with meaningless commits.

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Papamatti píše v St 24. 09. 2014 v 22:37 +0200:
>
> > the sources of the svg data are at github:
> > https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons
>
> Great :-)  Please is there a reason why they are on github, and not in
> the LibreOffice repository?
>
> > More infos at redmine:
> > https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/projects/design/boards
>
> I'd be most interested in knowing how they are organized, and how it is
> possible to re-generate the .png's automatically.
>
> I've communicated recently with Mirek about that, and we came up with a
> way how to automatize that for
>
> https://github.com/libodesign/tango-testing/blob/master/text.svg
>
> Basically, to get eg. lc_color.png , you can do:
>
> cp text.svg blah.svg ; \
> inkscape -f blah.svg --select lc_color --verb=FitCanvasToSelection
> --verb=LayerDelete --verb=FileSave --verb=FileClose ; \
> inkscape blah.svg -w 48 -h 48 -e lc_color.png
>
> [so it is possible to a script that does that for all bitmaps in the
> text.svg]
>
> Does this work for the sifr icons too, or do they use a different
> organization than the tango-testing?
>
> [Why I am asking: I am interested in generating hi-dpi versions of the
> icons suitable for hi-dpi displays :-)]
>
> Thank you a lot,
> Kendy

Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Re: Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

Hi Mirek,

Mirek M. píše v Čt 25. 09. 2014 v 23:59 +0200:

> It's a plan to move the Sifr icons (which, right now, are all over the
> place -- GitHub doesn't contain all the icons, apparently) to the same icon
> sheets that Tango uses. I'll get on that as soon as I have time, or as soon
> as someone takes the initiative.

That's great to hear! :-)  I suppose this might be a good Easy Hack -
the Easy Hacks in principle do not have to be only programming tasks...

If you can give me a description of the steps to do, I can create one.

> I've looked at the script, but I think for now, given the time it takes and
> the low number of icons we have, it's going to be easier to use Inkscape's
> Batch Export functionality and move icons to folders manually (most of them
> reside in cmd anyway). We can use the script once most icons are done.
> (Sorry that I encouraged you to make the script so much -- if it proved
> impossible to make a script, we would probably consider moving to the same
> icon architecture Gnome has.)

No need to apologize - it was important to make sure it is scriptable;
and when we have the script & all the icons generated from one source,
it will be much easier to make sure always the latest version is used.

>  I can export the current Tango icons at twice
> the resolution, and I think I can do that with Sifr as well -- will do so
> soon, send you the result. (Remind me if I don't.)
>
> The icons are on GitHub because designers tend to use Sparkleshare, which
> would pollute freedesktop's log with meaningless commits.

Makes sense; still, I think it might be good to have snapshots in the
LibreOffice repositories for 'known good' releases - what do you think?

All the best,
Kendy

3dwalkthrough01 3dwalkthrough01

Re: Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources

G+ hangouts Jan Holesovsky. [libreoffice-design] Improved Sifr icons / SVG sources Jan Holesovsky.