Indexing a text by concordance file failes

u-ri u-ri

Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Trying to insert an alphabetical index in Writer (LibreOffice 3.5.1.2 and earlier in 3.5.0 rc3) using a concordance file failes. The index entries are not inserted (marked as fields) in the main text. The resulting index consists only of a headline. This happend in any document with any number of concordance-file-entries. Indexing the text directly (without c-file) seems to
work. Other index-parameter (like Entries-Tab) unchanged.

Maybe only a silly mistake of mine?
Thank you for any hint...

u-ri

Win7 64Bit Libroffice 3.5.1.2

Tom Tom

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi :)
The Writer Guide
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide
Chapter 12 is "
 Creating Tables of Contents, Indexes, and Bibliographies".  Hopefully that has something useful?  It sounds like you might be doing something a bit more complicated than what is covered there.

u-ri u-ri

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi Tom,

thank you very much for the fast response and the hints.
Using the concordance file was necessary, because the index is quite big and has to be changed several times (prepress, for publishing etc., 300p text and two indexes for persons and items). Worked with little errors in OO 3.1., so I hoped that it would work even better in LO, which I use (since fork) in my daily work. But now I can't index by concordance file at all. Even a simple test-text and a few entries results in a headline and that's it. Until now I thought indexing by external file would be a standard procedure (as a part of the online-help).

New installation of LO didn't change anything. Maybe use of concordance-file relies on some feature, I don't know (a special java-environment e.g.?)

Best regards
u-ri

(Sorry about my poor english. I'm not a native speaker at all...)
Win7 64Bit LibreOffice  3.5.1.2 /Writer

Tom Tom

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi :)
As far as java goes LibreOffice 3.5.x prefers java 1.7 which hasn't been released yet.  So you might need to upgrade your version of java from
http://www.java.com

Your English is fine but there might be a list that does use your preferred language.  Here's the page for "de" lists
http://de.libreoffice.org/hilfe-kontakt/mailing-listen/

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

u-ri u-ri

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi Tom, hi Andreas,

I'm really thankful for your efforts and for being so lenient. But unfortunately the given solution doesn't match my problem. The solution-thread is about OpenOffice and the guy in the OO-forum has successfully got (!) an index using a concordance file and wants to modify it using a 2nd different file. (In fact I found this OO-Forum-Thread before I decided to start this LO-Thread.) Maybe I couldn't make my point clear enough:
In LO (!) I can't insert an index by concordance file at all. All I get is a headline. It doesn't work in my environment and in LO 3.5.x. using the newest documentation (Thank you, Tom!). I have no problem building an index by concordance file in my old OO 3.x. Of course I can (and I do) open the LO-text after finishing as a workaround in OO and insert the index afterwards, but I'm quite sure that's not the way it's intended me to do. Please, did anybody succeed to use this feature in LO 3.5.1.2 running Win7 64Bit? Or should I consider submitting a (potential-) bugreport?

Sorry for the inconveniences and
best regards
u-ri

Tom Tom

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi :)
Instructions written for OOo will often work in LibreOffice and vice-versa.  Just pretend the instructions were written for LO.  There have been a lot of developments in LO and a lot of the code has been cleaned up (err and a possibly a few regressions added) but even so they are still basically the same program.

u-ri u-ri

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi Tom,

good news: I created a small test-set and examined all systems I have access to. My index-problem occurs under different Win- and Linux-OS like XP 32Bit, Vista 64Bit and Win 7 64Bit. But affected are only LO-versions >=3.5.0. In the last 3.4.5 release the index by concordance file works fine and without errors!! Using OO as workaround is therefore obsolete. I will downgrade to LO 3.4.5 until the issue is resolved. (Bugzilla did know this issue as #46410...)

Thank you again for your kind support!
Best regards
u-ri
Tom Tom

Re: Indexing a text by concordance file failes

Hi :)
Wow!!  Good work!  Thanks for pin-pointing it down to a regression in the latest branch :)  Also thanks for finding an existing bug-report about it :)
Thanks and regards from