Insert Date - Special Characters - Scanning

charles meyer charles meyer

Insert Date - Special Characters - Scanning

In the Libre Writer help document, it lists Format>Page Style or Insert >
Header/Footer but does not explain where you find the Insert Date to insert
in a Footer.

How does one insert a date?

I recall you can do an F2 but is there any way in the Footer function?

Also, under special characters it lists the equal to or greater than symbol
but not the … not greater than symbol.

What’s the number for that? ex. A235

Lastly, I scanned (Using Prestol Manager on a Cannon scanner) a printed
page which contains Web site urls listed.

I exported that image into WordPad and saved as am .rtf file.

It opens in Libre Writer as if it’s a graphic image (with a box around all
the urls listed vertically but how can I use LW to extract each url so I
could paste each url (one by one) into Firefox for any browser to search
those Web sites.

Thank you.

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

Re: Insert Date - Special Characters - Scanning

On 29/06/2020 18:07, charles meyer wrote:
> In the Libre Writer help document, it lists Format>Page Style or Insert >
> Header/Footer but does not explain where you find the Insert Date to insert
> in a Footer.
>

> How does one insert a date?

How about placing the cursor in the footer then select  Insert > Field > Date ?

hth

Philip

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

Re: Insert Date - Special Characters - Scanning

On 29/06/2020 18:07, charles meyer wrote:
> Also, under special characters it lists the equal to or greater than symbol
> but not the … not greater than symbol.
>
> What’s the number for that? ex. A235

The special characters listed are font dependent. For example, the symbol you are looking for is not shown under mathematical operators in the 'Liberation Serif' font but if you select 'Linux Biolinum O' font, you will see it listed as hexadecimal U+226F or decimal 8815       ≯

Of course, you may not have Biolinum on your machine, but check under the various fonts you do have.

hth

Philip

John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

On 2020-06-29 13:46, Philip Jackson wrote:
> On 29/06/2020 18:07, charles meyer wrote:
>> Also, under special characters it lists the equal to or greater than symbol
>> but not the … not greater than symbol. What’s the number for that? ex. A235
>
> The special characters listed are font dependent. For example, the symbol you are looking for is not shown under mathematical operators in the 'Liberation Serif' font but if you select 'Linux Biolinum O' font, you will see it listed as hexadecimal U+226F or decimal 8815       ≯
>
> Of course, you may not have Biolinum on your machine, but check under the various fonts you do have.

Very nice, Philip. Do you know of a quick way to query which fonts in system include a particular character (that is short of manually testing each font)?

On 2020-06-29 12:07, charles meyer wrote:

> Lastly, I scanned (Using Prestol Manager on a Cannon scanner) a printed
> page which contains Web site urls listed.
>
> I exported that image into WordPad and saved as am .rtf file.
>
> It opens in Libre Writer as if it’s a graphic image (with a box around all
> the urls listed vertically but how can I use LW to extract each url so I
> could paste each url (one by one) into Firefox for any browser to search
> those Web sites.

Charles, are you familiar with scanning for optical character recognition (OCR)? [Your question suggests that you may not be.] I don't know what Canon scanner you used, and don't know Prestol Manager, but many scanners (especially modern multi-function printer/copiers) support OCR scanning natively; for others there are scan management tools to process the raster scan for OCR to various text file formats. You will have to find out about what tools you have. Then the text from your OCR output can be imported into LibreOffice Writer.

May I make another suggestion? You asked three unrelated questions in one email, which is not a formula for getting questions answered. You notice that Philip answered the first two of those questions in two separate replies. That is especially helpful if one of the questions has follow-on correspondence. I'm addressing the third question -- which is really not a LibreOffice question -- and appending this suggestion on how to get questions answered efficiently. One topic per message, with a succinct Subject line, will help you.

-john

On 30/06/2020 03:36, John Kaufmann wrote:

> On 2020-06-29 13:46, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> On 29/06/2020 18:07, charles meyer wrote:
>>> Also, under special characters it lists the equal to or greater than symbol
>>> but not the … not greater than symbol. What’s the number for that? ex. A235
>>
>> The special characters listed are font dependent. For example, the symbol you are looking for is not shown under mathematical operators in the 'Liberation Serif' font but if you select 'Linux Biolinum O' font, you will see it listed as hexadecimal U+226F or decimal 8815       ≯
>>
>> Of course, you may not have Biolinum on your machine, but check under the various fonts you do have.
>
> Very nice, Philip. Do you know of a quick way to query which fonts in system include a particular character (that is short of manually testing each font)

John, the short answer is, 'No.'   But on linux, I have Font Manager for GTK desktops and in that I can select the Manage function, select Mathematical Operators in the left hand column, click in the character panel until I find the square representing U+226F and then go down the list of fonts one by one.

Takes a bit of time but I never had reason to seek a faster or better way.

Philip

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Insert Date - Special Characters - Scanning

John Kaufmann wrote

> On 2020-06-29 13:46, Philip Jackson wrote:
>>
>> The special characters listed are font dependent. For example, the symbol
>> you are looking for is not shown under mathematical operators in the
>> 'Liberation Serif' font but if you select 'Linux Biolinum O' font, you
>> will see it listed as hexadecimal U+226F or decimal 8815       ≯
>>
>> Of course, you may not have Biolinum on your machine, but check under the
>> various fonts you do have.
>
> Very nice, Philip. Do you know of a quick way to query which fonts in
> system include a particular character (that is short of manually testing
> each font)?

For Windows users, the freeware BabelMap utility (Andrew West's BabelStone
project) is helpful. Do this lookup from its Fonts -> 'Font Coverage...'
dialog.

Project page is here: https://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

On 2020-06-30 09:06, Philip Jackson wrote:
> On 30/06/2020 03:36, John Kaufmann wrote:
>>
>> ... Do you know of a quick way to query which fonts in system include a particular character (that is short of manually testing each font)
>
> ... the short answer is, 'No.'   But on linux, I have Font Manager for GTK desktops and in that I can select the Manage function, select Mathematical Operators in the left hand column, click in the character panel until I find the square representing U+226F and then go down the list of fonts one by one.
>
> Takes a bit of time but I never had reason to seek a faster or better way.

That sounds like more than enough. Thanks!

-john

On 2020-06-30 09:23, V Stuart Foote wrote:

>> ... Do you know of a quick way to query which fonts in system
>> include a particular character (that is short of manually testing
>> each font)?
>
> For Windows users, the freeware BabelMap utility (Andrew West's BabelStone
> project) is helpful. Do this lookup from its Fonts -> 'Font Coverage...'
> dialog.
>
> Project page is here: https://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

Very nice. I did not know of BabelStone. Thanks!