Insert current date

Peggy Peggy

Insert current date

Years ago in Word Perfect there was a feature that allowed me to use a
shortcut key (even picking from a menu would be good) that inserted today's
date. Does Libre Writer have this feature?

I've never written a macro and the couple of instructions I've seen look
complicated. If there is no feature for this, would their be a way to write
a macro for the tecnically challenged?

Peggy

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Insert current date

> Years ago in Word Perfect there was a feature that allowed me to use a
> shortcut key (even picking from a menu would be good) that inserted today's
> date. Does Libre Writer have this feature?

Insert → Field → More fields → Document: under Type select Date and then if
its fixed or should update any time you open the document. On the right
column you can choose from different formats.

Regards,
Ricardo

> I've never written a macro and the couple of instructions I've seen look
> complicated. If there is no feature for this, would their be a way to write
> a macro for the tecnically challenged?
>
> Peggy

Jean-Baptiste Faure-3 Jean-Baptiste Faure-3

Re: Insert current date

Le 21/05/2018 à 10:48, Ricardo Berlasso a écrit :

>> Years ago in Word Perfect there was a feature that allowed me to use a
>> shortcut key (even picking from a menu would be good) that inserted today's
>> date. Does Libre Writer have this feature?
>>

> Insert → Field → More fields → Document: under Type select Date and then if
> its fixed or should update any time you open the document. On the right
> column you can choose from different formats.

And if you use this functionality often, you can create an autotext with
the field and its formatting.

Best regards.
JBF

Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Re: Insert current date

Sorry for the untrimmed quote and top post Gmail client forces it like
this.

I started to write a macro (and failed miserably) because I wanted to, in a
spreadsheet, enter today's date and time in a column (or two) that then
*never* updates again. All of my attempts at getting this to work (via
existing methods or by creating a macro) failed.

I simply had to accept that I had to enter it every time I I made an entry.

If I got it wrong l'd love to hear of a better way to do it.
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

    Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
    Women and cats will do as they please, and
    men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein

On Mon, May 21, 2018, 4:49 AM Ricardo Berlasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Years ago in Word Perfect there was a feature that allowed me to use a
> > shortcut key (even picking from a menu would be good) that inserted
> today's
> > date. Does Libre Writer have this feature?
> >

> Insert → Field → More fields → Document: under Type select Date and then if
> its fixed or should update any time you open the document. On the right
> column you can choose from different formats.
>
> Regards,
> Ricardo
>

> > I've never written a macro and the couple of instructions I've seen look
> > complicated. If there is no feature for this, would their be a way to
> write
> > a macro for the tecnically challenged?
> >
> > Peggy
> >
> > --
> > deleted

timllloyd timllloyd

Re: Insert current date

It's a while since I used this.

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Recording_a_Macro

 From memory you record the macro into your template and all subsequent
docs should inherit the macro.

HTH

Tim

On 21/05/18 19:25, Michael Tiernan wrote:

> Sorry for the untrimmed quote and top post Gmail client forces it like
> this.
>
> I started to write a macro (and failed miserably) because I wanted to, in a
> spreadsheet, enter today's date and time in a column (or two) that then
> *never* updates again. All of my attempts at getting this to work (via
> existing methods or by creating a macro) failed.
>
> I simply had to accept that I had to enter it every time I I made an entry.
>
> If I got it wrong l'd love to hear of a better way to do it.

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: Insert current date

Hello Peggy,

Le 21/05/2018 à 10:37, Peggy a écrit :
> Years ago in Word Perfect there was a feature that allowed me to use a
> shortcut key (even picking from a menu would be good) that inserted today's
> date. Does Libre Writer have this feature?
>
> I've never written a macro and the couple of instructions I've seen look
> complicated. If there is no feature for this, would their be a way to write
> a macro for the tecnically challenged?

While in Calc there's no need for a macro (the Ctrl + ; (semicolon)
shortcut will do ;) such is not the case in Writer, yet.

So, yes, you need to create a macro then connect a keyboard shortcut to
it. The process is quite simple if you use the macro recorder.

Here's how (longer to write than to execute) :

1. Creating the macro using the macro recorder

Note: the macro recorder is not available until you've activated the
corresponding option in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Options, Enable
macro recording.

a. Open an empty Writer document

b. Goto Tools > Macro > Record macro
(a macro recorder toolbar is displayed: you'll press the "Stop
recording" button when you're done)

c. Hit Ctrl+F2 to call the Insert Fields dialog,

d. in the Document thumbnail select:

Type = Date
Select = Date
Format = select the wanted format

e. Clic Insert, then Close

f. Clic the "Stop recording" button

g. A dialog opens that allows you to save the macro code.
Enter a name for your macro in Macro Name
Save macro in : select MyMacros > Standard > Module1
Click Save

(a sample of the macro code is given below)

2. Connecting the macro execution with a keyboard shortcut

a. Tools > Customize, Keyboard thumbnail

Shortcut Keys = choose an appropriate shortcut (Ctrl + ; might do...)
Category = LibreOffice Macros -> MyMacros -> Standard -> Module1
Function = select the macro created at step 1 above

b. Check the "Writer" radio button (the shortcut will be available in
Writer only), then Modify which makes the shortcut appear in the Keys panel.

c. Validate OK

 From now on, pressing Ctrl + ; in Writer inserts the current date.

8< -------------------------------------------------------------------
sub InsertCurrentDate

dim document   as object
dim dispatcher as object

rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

dim args1(5) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
args1(0).Name = "Type"
args1(0).Value = 0
args1(1).Name = "SubType"
args1(1).Value = 1
args1(2).Name = "Name"
args1(2).Value = ""
args1(3).Name = "Content"
args1(3).Value = "0"
args1(4).Name = "Format"
args1(4).Value = 10036 '
args1(5).Name = "Separator"
args1(5).Value = " "

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:InsertField", "", 0, args1())

end sub
-------------------------------------------------------------------- >8

HTH,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Insert current date

At 05:25 21/05/2018 -0400, Michael Tiernan wrote:
>Sorry for the untrimmed quote and top post Gmail client forces it like this.

This is simply untrue, of course. There is plenty of help out there
on the web to show you how to do whatever you need. Please don't
blame your tools or encourage others to copy your example.

Brian Barker

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: Insert current date

On 21/05/18 12:03, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:

> While in Calc there's no need for a macro (the Ctrl + ; (semicolon)
> shortcut will do ;) such is not the case in Writer, yet.
>
> So, yes, you need to create a macro then connect a keyboard shortcut to
> it. The process is quite simple if you use the macro recorder.
>
> Here's how (longer to write than to execute) :
>
> 1. Creating the macro using the macro recorder
>
> Note: the macro recorder is not available until you've activated the
> corresponding option in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Options, Enable
> macro recording.

This will be (in some versions ?)  Tools > Options > LibreOffice >
Advanced, Enable macro recording.

> a. Open an empty Writer document
>
> b. Goto Tools > Macro > Record macro
> (a macro recorder toolbar is displayed: you'll press the "Stop
> recording" button when you're done)
>
> c. Hit Ctrl+F2 to call the Insert Fields dialog,
>
> d. in the Document thumbnail select:
>
> Type = Date
> Select = Date
> Format = select the wanted format
>
> e. Clic Insert, then Close
>
> f. Clic the "Stop recording" button
>
> g. A dialog opens that allows you to save the macro code.
> Enter a name for your macro in Macro Name
> Save macro in : select MyMacros > Standard > Module1
> Click Save
>
> (a sample of the macro code is given below)
>

> 2. Connecting the macro execution with a keyboard shortcut
>
> a. Tools > Customize, Keyboard thumbnail
>
> Shortcut Keys = choose an appropriate shortcut (Ctrl + ; might do...)
> Category = LibreOffice Macros -> MyMacros -> Standard -> Module1
> Function = select the macro created at step 1 above
>
> b. Check the "Writer" radio button (the shortcut will be available in
> Writer only), then Modify which makes the shortcut appear in the Keys
> panel.
>
> c. Validate OK
>

> From now on, pressing Ctrl + ; in Writer inserts the current date.
>

> 8< -------------------------------------------------------------------
> sub InsertCurrentDate
>
> dim document   as object
> dim dispatcher as object
>
> rem get access to the document
> document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
> dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
>
> dim args1(5) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
> args1(0).Name = "Type"
> args1(0).Value = 0
> args1(1).Name = "SubType"
> args1(1).Value = 1
> args1(2).Name = "Name"
> args1(2).Value = ""
> args1(3).Name = "Content"
> args1(3).Value = "0"
> args1(4).Name = "Format"
> args1(4).Value = 10036        '
> args1(5).Name = "Separator"
> args1(5).Value = " "
>
> dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:InsertField", "", 0, args1())
>
> end sub
Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Insert current date

Hi Peggy,

there is no macro needed.

Open a Writer-document
Go to
Tools > Customize > Keyboard
Type in "Functions": 'Date'
Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
Click "Modify" on the right.
Click "Save".

Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.

Regards

Robert

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: Insert current date

Hello Robert,

Le 21/05/2018 à 14:50, Robert Großkopf a écrit :

> there is no macro needed.
>
> Open a Writer-document
> Go to
> Tools > Customize > Keyboard
> Type in "Functions": 'Date'
> Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
> Click "Modify" on the right.
> Click "Save".
>
> Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.

OMG! How did I overlook that?

Many thanks Robert!

All the best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: Insert current date

Hi Philip,

Le 21/05/2018 à 13:10, Philip Jackson a écrit :
>> Note: the macro recorder is not available until you've activated the
>> corresponding option in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Options, Enable
>> macro recording.
>
> This will be (in some versions ?)  Tools > Options > LibreOffice >
> Advanced, Enable macro recording.

Ahem. Yes, I stand corrected /o\

Anyway, Robert's solution is much faster!

Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

HBarr HBarr

Re: Insert current date

Thanks Robert, that's very helpful.

Now, how would I change the result to YYYY-MM-DD?

Regards,

Howard

On 21 May 2018 at 21:50, Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peggy,
>
> there is no macro needed.
>
> Open a Writer-document
> Go to
> Tools > Customize > Keyboard
> Type in "Functions": 'Date'
> Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
> Click "Modify" on the right.
> Click "Save".
>
> Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Insert current date

Hi Howard,

> Now, how would I change the result to YYYY-MM-DD?

Dubbelclick on the date. You get the dialog for changing the format.

I don't know how to change the standard - except to change the language
of the text to, for example, Englisch(Canadian).

Regards

Robert

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Insert current date

On 05/21/2018 09:57 AM, HBarr wrote:
> Thanks Robert, that's very helpful.
>
> Now, how would I change the result to YYYY-MM-DD?
>
> Regards,
>
> Howard
      This is a little more difficult, but not by much.

      Right click the date.
      Select Additional formats in the Format column.
      Enter what you want in the Format Code box.
      Click OK.

      If you then want to convert this to AutoText after changing the
date format,
          Ctl+F3 opens AutoText dialog
          Type the name of it in the Name box.
           Modify the Shortcut name if desired.
           Click the AutoText button and select New(text only) from the
list.
           Click closed.
> Dan

> On 21 May 2018 at 21:50, Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi Peggy,
>>
>> there is no macro needed.
>>
>> Open a Writer-document
>> Go to
>> Tools > Customize > Keyboard
>> Type in "Functions": 'Date'
>> Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
>> Click "Modify" on the right.
>> Click "Save".
>>
>> Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Robert
>> --
>> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
>> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

>> deleted

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

Re: Insert current date

Why not use the default of <CTRL>+<;> (that's a semicolon)? The format
is dependent on Locale Setting.

Add the <SHIFT> to insert current time.

On 21 May 2018 at 07:50, Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peggy,
>
> there is no macro needed.
>
> Open a Writer-document
> Go to
> Tools > Customize > Keyboard
> Type in "Functions": 'Date'
> Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
> Click "Modify" on the right.
> Click "Save".
>
> Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Insert current date

On 05/21/2018 10:46 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> On 05/21/2018 09:57 AM, HBarr wrote:
>> Thanks Robert, that's very helpful.
>>
>> Now, how would I change the result to YYYY-MM-DD?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Howard
>      This is a little more difficult, but not by much.
>
>      Right click the date.
>      Select Additional formats in the Format column.
>      Enter what you want in the Format Code box.
>      Click OK.
>
>      If you then want to convert this to AutoText after changing the
> date format,
>          Ctl+F3 opens AutoText dialog
>          Type the name of it in the Name box.
>           Modify the Shortcut name if desired.
>           Click the AutoText button and select New(text only) from the
> list.
>           Click closed.
>> Dan
> OK, I left out one important point:
                After right clicking the date created by Ctrl+7, select
Fields from the menu.
                Then select Additional formats in the Format column...

Dan

>> On 21 May 2018 at 21:50, Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Peggy,
>>>
>>> there is no macro needed.
>>>
>>> Open a Writer-document
>>> Go to
>>> Tools > Customize > Keyboard
>>> Type in "Functions": 'Date'
>>> Now look for a free Shortcut-Key, for example Ctrl+7.
>>> Click "Modify" on the right.
>>> Click "Save".
>>>
>>> Now you could insert the current date with Ctrl+7.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Robert
>>> --
>>> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
>>> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3
>>>

>>> --
>>> deleted

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Insert current date

Hi T.R.,

Am 21.05.2018 um 16:46 schrieb T. R. Valentine:
> Why not use the default of <CTRL>+<;> (that's a semicolon)?
>
> Add the <SHIFT> to insert current time.

This is the default for Calc. There isn't any default for date ore time
in Writer. But the combination is free for using in Writer also. So you
could take this combination if you want and haven't used it for other
functionality.

Regards

Robert