Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

Budge Budge

Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

Using Writer with DejaVu Sans font and having created a label using the
Avery A4 template with Synchronize active, all is well until I try and
include the Trademark symbol.  The advice I have is:-

     Place the cursor in the location where you want the symbol to appear.
     On the Insert menu select Special Character.
     In the dialog that appears, choose Symbol from the Font list.The
trademark symbol is available in a Serif font (character 212) or in a
San-Serif font (character 228). ...
     Click OK.

  My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is shown
and then a huge list of available Subsets and using for example Basic
Latin, I get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all overlapping
so even if the TM symbol is there I cannot see it.

I need some guidance please.

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

The following won't help you see/find the symbol. It will however let you
type it directly.

Put your cursor where you want the symbol to appear then

If using Windows (tested with Windows 10 and LibreOffice 6.2.2.2) -
Type 2122 then Alt+X

If using Linux -
Ctrl+Shift+U and release, then 2122, then enter

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:23 PM Budge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Writer with DejaVu Sans font and having created a label using the
> Avery A4 template with Synchronize active, all is well until I try and
> include the Trademark symbol.  The advice I have is:-
>
>      Place the cursor in the location where you want the symbol to appear.
>      On the Insert menu select Special Character.
>      In the dialog that appears, choose Symbol from the Font list.The
> trademark symbol is available in a Serif font (character 212) or in a
> San-Serif font (character 228). ...
>      Click OK.
>
>   My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is shown
> and then a huge list of available Subsets and using for example Basic
> Latin, I get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all overlapping
> so even if the TM symbol is there I cannot see it.
>
> I need some guidance please.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

mikey mikey

Re: Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

:tm: is in the LibreOffice autocorrect database. colon-tm-colon (lower case
matters.) should produce a TM logo if you have autocorrect enabled.

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

On 03/04/2019 07:29, Michael H wrote:
> :tm: is in the LibreOffice autocorrect database. colon-tm-colon (lower case
> matters.) should produce a TM logo if you have autocorrect enabled.

In my LO Writer (6.0.7.3), the autocorrect option is (tm) using parentheses and not colons.

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:43:34 +0200
Philip Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/04/2019 07:29, Michael H wrote:
> > :tm: is in the LibreOffice autocorrect database. colon-tm-colon
> > (lower case matters.) should produce a TM logo if you have
> > autocorrect enabled.
> In my LO Writer (6.0.7.3), the autocorrect option is (tm) using
> parentheses and not colons.

In mine (6.1.3.2) either works :)

But I get an unusable window to choose characters from if I follow
Budge's instructions. All the characters, and the window itself are far
too large and overlap horizontally. Vertically the window is taller
than my screen and not resizable.

If that occurs with a current version, I'd think a bug report was
appropriate. It's a surprisingly glaring bug.

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Budge wrote:

> My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is shown and
> then a huge list of available Subsets and using for example Basic Latin, I
> get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all overlapping so even if the
> TM symbol is there I cannot see it.

I have never seen the behaviour you describe, with oversize characters
in the Special Character selection window. I just tried it with the
DejaVu fonts in my LO version 6.2.0.3 under Windows 10, to be sure.

What version of LibreOffice are you using, and under what version of
which operating system? Do you have extensions or accessibility
options running that might affect the behaviour?

- Robert

Budge Budge

On 03/04/2019 02:27, Alan B wrote:

> The following won't help you see/find the symbol. It will however let you
> type it directly.
>
> Put your cursor where you want the symbol to appear then
>
> If using Windows (tested with Windows 10 and LibreOffice 6.2.2.2) -
> Type 2122 then Alt+X
>
> If using Linux -
> Ctrl+Shift+U and release, then 2122, then enter
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:23 PM Budge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Using Writer with DejaVu Sans font and having created a label using the
>> Avery A4 template with Synchronize active, all is well until I try and
>> include the Trademark symbol.  The advice I have is:-
>>
>>       Place the cursor in the location where you want the symbol to appear.
>>       On the Insert menu select Special Character.
>>       In the dialog that appears, choose Symbol from the Font list.The
>> trademark symbol is available in a Serif font (character 212) or in a
>> San-Serif font (character 228). ...
>>       Click OK.
>>
>>    My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is shown
>> and then a huge list of available Subsets and using for example Basic
>> Latin, I get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all overlapping
>> so even if the TM symbol is there I cannot see it.
>>
>> I need some guidance please.

Hi and thatks for the reply.  Do not use Windoze.
Tried the linux option several times but alas, no joy!

Budge Budge

On 03/04/2019 06:29, Michael H wrote:

> :tm: is in the LibreOffice autocorrect database. colon-tm-colon (lower
> case matters.) should produce a TM logo if you have autocorrect enabled.
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:30 PM Alan B <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The following won't help you see/find the symbol. It will however
>     let you
>     type it directly.
>
>     Put your cursor where you want the symbol to appear then
>
>     If using Windows (tested with Windows 10 and LibreOffice 6.2.2.2) -
>     Type 2122 then Alt+X
>
>     If using Linux -
>     Ctrl+Shift+U and release, then 2122, then enter
>
>     On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:23 PM Budge <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>      > Using Writer with DejaVu Sans font and having created a label
>     using the
>      > Avery A4 template with Synchronize active, all is well until I
>     try and
>      > include the Trademark symbol.  The advice I have is:-
>      >
>      >      Place the cursor in the location where you want the symbol
>     to appear.
>      >      On the Insert menu select Special Character.
>      >      In the dialog that appears, choose Symbol from the Font list.The
>      > trademark symbol is available in a Serif font (character 212) or in a
>      > San-Serif font (character 228). ...
>      >      Click OK.
>      >
>      >   My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is
>     shown
>      > and then a huge list of available Subsets and using for example Basic
>      > Latin, I get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all
>     overlapping
>      > so even if the TM symbol is there I cannot see it.
>      >
>      > I need some guidance please.
>      >
>      > --
>      > To unsubscribe e-mail to:
>     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:users%[hidden email]>
>      > Problems?
>      >
>     https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>      > Posting guidelines + more:
>     https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>      > Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>      >
>

>     --
>     Alan Boba
>     CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011
>
>     --

That might have worked but didn't but the autocorrection has many
settings so may not be correctly set up.  Will play around in plain text
document and ask again.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Inserting a Trademark Symbol in Label

Hi.

On 04/04/2019 05:25, Budge wrote:

> On 03/04/2019 06:29, Michael H wrote:
>> :tm: is in the LibreOffice autocorrect database. colon-tm-colon
>> (lower case matters.) should produce a TM logo if you have
>> autocorrect enabled.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:30 PM Alan B <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     The following won't help you see/find the symbol. It will however
>>     let you
>>     type it directly.
>>
>>     Put your cursor where you want the symbol to appear then
>>
>>     If using Windows (tested with Windows 10 and LibreOffice 6.2.2.2) -
>>     Type 2122 then Alt+X
>>
>>     If using Linux -
>>     Ctrl+Shift+U and release, then 2122, then enter
>>
>>     On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:23 PM Budge <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>      > Using Writer with DejaVu Sans font and having created a label
>>     using the
>>      > Avery A4 template with Synchronize active, all is well until I
>>     try and
>>      > include the Trademark symbol.  The advice I have is:-
>>      >
>>      >      Place the cursor in the location where you want the symbol
>>     to appear.
>>      >      On the Insert menu select Special Character.
>>      >      In the dialog that appears, choose Symbol from the Font
>> list.The
>>      > trademark symbol is available in a Serif font (character 212)
>> or in a
>>      > San-Serif font (character 228). ...
>>      >      Click OK.
>>      >
>>      >   My problem is that once I select Special Characters the Font is
>>     shown
>>      > and then a huge list of available Subsets and using for
>> example Basic
>>      > Latin, I get a whole lot of characters, all too big and all
>>     overlapping
>>      > so even if the TM symbol is there I cannot see it.
>>      >
>>      > I need some guidance please.
>>      >
>>      > --
>>      > To unsubscribe e-mail to:
>>     [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:users%[hidden email]>
>>      > Problems?
>>      >

>>      > Posting guidelines + more:
>>     https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>>      > Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>>      >
>>

>>     --     Alan Boba
>>     CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011
>>
>>     --     To unsubscribe e-mail to:
>> [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:users%[hidden email]>
>>     Problems?

>>     Posting guidelines + more:
>>     https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>>     Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>>
> That might have worked but didn't but the autocorrection has many
> settings so may not be correctly set up.  Will play around in plain
> text document and ask again.

Do you get this dialogue for insert special character. Type in the
number 2122 then find and click on the square with the TM character.
Note, you have to be using a unicode font with the character for this to
work so change font if you need to.
(image deleted in list)

steve