Installing LibreOffice Extensions

Constantin Makshin Constantin Makshin

Installing LibreOffice Extensions

Hi!

There are several extensions installed along with LibreOffice. Some of them depend on JRE and therefore cause errors when LibreOffice starts.

Wouldn't it be better to allow the user to select which extensions [s]he wants to install, adding a special [warning] note to ones that require JRE?

Thank you.

Gustavo Pacheco Gustavo Pacheco

Re: Installing LibreOffice Extensions

Hi!

This is an important question... IMHO, many of these extensions are unuseful
for the most users (like MySQL Connector or Wiki Publisher, for example).

And, if you don´t have a JRE in your computer, you will recieve a message
about it.  (OK, an installed JRE is very common but, if the message appears
for a simple user, it sounds like an error ...). In other case, in some
companies, extensions are limited use. Many extensions in the original
installation pack can force the corporative IT team to repack the
installation to remove extensions.

Additionaly, many extensions in LibreOffice are provided by Oracle . I think
this isn´t a good way to provide more functionallity for LibreOffice. What
do you think about LibreOffice without Oracle extensions?

Thanks,

Gustavo Pacheco.

Eric Hoch Eric Hoch

Am Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:08:10 -0300 schrieb Gustavo Pacheco:
> Hi!
>
> This is an important question... IMHO, many of these extensions are unuseful
> for the most users (like MySQL Connector or Wiki Publisher, for example).

While they may be of no use for you it doesn't mean that they are
for everyone out there. Maybe even users you don't assume needing
those extensions are the ones actually using them.

But I see a point that it is discussable if there should be any
extensions in the default installation at all and if so the next
discussion would be which ones and there we wouldn't agree on
because everyone favors the extensions he uses and therefore thinks
others need/use them as well.

> And, if you don´t have a JRE in your computer, you will recieve a message
> about it.  (OK, an installed JRE is very common but, if the message appears
> for a simple user, it sounds like an error ...). In other case, in some
> companies, extensions are limited use. Many extensions in the original
> installation pack can force the corporative IT team to repack the
> installation to remove extensions.
>
> Additionaly, many extensions in LibreOffice are provided by Oracle . I think
> this isn´t a good way to provide more functionallity for LibreOffice. What
> do you think about LibreOffice without Oracle extensions?

Only because Oracle wrote extensions LibO shouldn't include them?
And the next step would be to rewrite extensions, that already
exist just because they are from Oracle? For me this is not
necessary but if you'd like to to do it and you feel better with it
go on do it.

>> Wouldn't it be better to allow the user to select which extensions [s]he
>> wants to install, adding a special [warning] note to ones that require JRE?

For the end-user I favor this too but companies may want a vanilla
OOo without any extensions or the chance to disable the
installations by default during the silent installation process or
whichever process is chosen to install larger amounts of OOo on
company PCs.

Eric

--
## de.OpenOffice.org - Office für MacOS X, Linux, Solaris & Windows
## Openoffice.org - ich steck mit drin!

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-15 12:30, Eric Hoch a écrit :

>>> Wouldn't it be better to allow the user to select which extensions [s]he
>>> wants to install, adding a special [warning] note to ones that require JRE?
>
> For the end-user I favor this too but companies may want a vanilla
> OOo without any extensions or the chance to disable the
> installations by default during the silent installation process or
> whichever process is chosen to install larger amounts of OOo on
> company PCs.
>
> Eric

I would be careful in trimming too many extensions. People coming from
MSOffice will expect full compatibility and if it is not there, and they
have to "work" at it to get it to do the same thing, well, we will lose
them. We should make sure that LibO is as able (at it's most minimal
state) to do as much as MSOffice. Don't trim off extensions to the point
where the vanilla version does less.

Marc

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Installing LibreOffice Extensions

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-15 14:29, Steven Shelton a écrit :

> Can the solution be as simple as including the ten or so most popular
> extensions in the package (license-permitting, of course) with an option
> at the installation to select the ones you want? Adobe does this (or,
> they used to) with Illustrator. It could be part of the "custom install"
> options (along the lines of choosing whether or not to install the
> ActiveX document reader). If selecting this option as part of the
> "custom install" is not the best solution, maybe a simple dialog box at
> the beginning: "Select which extensions to install:" with a "SELECT ALL"
> and "SELECT NONE" option available.
>
> - --
> Steven Shelton

This is where I believe the marketing team's work will show its value.
We may decide to have different targeted versions of LibO for education;
business; academic; SOHO; corporate etc. with added value plugins. The
delivery of these versions would have to be thought out. Maybe a single
disc with different "tab-able" versions that one could pick for the
installation.

I would also suggest not to drown the new user with too many new
extensions (especially with them showing up in the menu bars) as
familiarity of the menus and behaviour as well as MSOffice compatible
behaviours will be what sells the LibO distro.

Marc

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

On 10/15/2010 07:35 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> We may decide to have different targeted versions of LibO for education;
> business; academic; SOHO; corporate etc. with added value plugins.

Rather than creating umpteen different versions of LibO, how about
umpteen different collections of extensions?  Include the most popular,
or theoretically most useful half a dozen or so collections in the
installation package, allowing the user which package(s) they want to
install.

> I would also suggest not to drown the new user with too many new extensions (especially with them showing up in the menu bars)

+1

#####

On a semi-related note, my suggestion is for extensions to be off one
menu, and not create their own top menu item.  (IOW, all extensions are
found under "Extensions", rather than have a top line menu item, like
".riess", "toools", "Scale Assistent", etc.)

I'd also suggest that toolbars be mergable into existing toolbars,
rather than create their own new toolbar.

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-18 05:04, jonathon a écrit :

> On 10/15/2010 07:35 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>
>> We may decide to have different targeted versions of LibO for education;
>> business; academic; SOHO; corporate etc. with added value plugins.
>
> Rather than creating umpteen different versions of LibO, how about
> umpteen different collections of extensions?  Include the most popular,
> or theoretically most useful half a dozen or so collections in the
> installation package, allowing the user which package(s) they want to
> install.

Yes, this is what I suggested. You are just using a different way of
explaining it.

>> I would also suggest not to drown the new user with too many new extensions (especially with them showing up in the menu bars)
>
> +1
>
> #####
>
> On a semi-related note, my suggestion is for extensions to be off one
> menu, and not create their own top menu item.  (IOW, all extensions are
> found under "Extensions", rather than have a top line menu item, like
> ".riess", "toools", "Scale Assistent", etc.)

I like this idea. We have to be careful of crowding up the toolbar
though. But I think most users, even those who would have migrated from
MSOffcie, would be able to work with this. Nice idea.

> I'd also suggest that toolbars be mergable into existing toolbars,
> rather than create their own new toolbar.

Doesn't it do this already?

> jonathon

Marc

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

On 10/18/2010 06:02 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

>> I'd also suggest that toolbars be mergable into existing toolbars, rather than create their own new toolbar.
>
> Doesn't it do this already?

Some are.  Some aren't.  My suggestion is for all to be mergable.

A couple of months ago I took a screenshot of OOo with all toolbars
visible.  There was no space to edit text.   I'm not sure where I
uploaded it to, though.  :(

jonathon

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

On 2010-10-18 6:43 PM, jonathon wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 06:02 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>>> I'd also suggest that toolbars be mergable into existing
>>> toolbars, rather than create their own new toolbar.

>> Doesn't it do this already?

> Some are.  Some aren't.  My suggestion is for all to be mergable.
>
> A couple of months ago I took a screenshot of OOo with all toolbars
> visible.  There was no space to edit text.   I'm not sure where I
> uploaded it to, though.  :(

I would prefer editable toolbars in the same vein of Firefox/Thunderbird
- just be able to drag-n-drop any button to any toolbar, as well as
create new ones if I want.

Charles