Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

Pedro Pedro

Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

I'm an advanced Windows user but absolute Linux newbie.

I was trying to install Libreoffice under Ubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10 (the only version that has drivers for my eeePC netbook) following these instructions
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/new-ppa-makes-installing-libreoffice-on-ubuntu-easy/

But got this error messages
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic Release.gpg
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security Release.gpg
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/multiverse Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/restricted Sources
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/main Packages
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
  404  Not Found
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/restricted Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/multiverse Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/universe Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/main Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/restricted Sources
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I suppose this means there is a specific build for Karmic (something similar as a specific build for Windows 2000) but not all needed files are available for that specific OS version?

Thank you in advance for any help ;)
MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM, plino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm an advanced Windows user but absolute Linux newbie.

Not uncommmon.

:
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> 404  Not Found

I'm guessing that you don't have that ppa installed, and I'm not sure
if it is available via ppa on Karmic.  Try downloading and installing
from the documentfoundation.org - that works nicely.

Pedro Pedro

Re: Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

Yes, that does work.

But I was looking for a solution that didn't involve manually downloading, unpackaging, etc... In theory, adding the PPA options would not only install the current version but also allow updates when available.

What puzzles me is that unless Hit means something different, most of the folders and files are there, except for Packages.gz

Am I correct?
NoOp NoOp

On 02/15/2011 11:46 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM, plino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm an advanced Windows user but absolute Linux newbie.
>>
> Not uncommmon.
>
> :
>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>> 404  Not Found
>>

> I'm guessing that you don't have that ppa installed, and I'm not sure
> if it is available via ppa on Karmic.

It's 404 because there is no karmic version in the PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

I doubt there will be either as karmic reaches EOL in April:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

> Try downloading and installing
> from the documentfoundation.org - that works nicely.

That would be my recommendation as well.

@plino: installation instructions are here:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
[Installation of LibreOffice on Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux systems]

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

I tired a PPA several times with Ubuntu 9.x and 10.04.  It failed have
the time
I tried to install anything via PPA.  So I do not use it.

I think we need to make sure that the people who are Linux users have
clear options fir installing via PPA and through the standard web site
download and terminal install.  It is only a few lines to install via the
terminal, so for me it is easier than setting up a PPA install.

I still use a PDF file to remind me what the commands are, but it does
not change except the [file] name of the version to be installed.

On 02/16/2011 04:58 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/15/2011 11:46 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM, plino<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I'm an advanced Windows user but absolute Linux newbie.
>>>
>> Not uncommmon.
>>
>> :
>>> W: Failed to fetch
>>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>>> 404  Not Found
>>>
>> I'm guessing that you don't have that ppa installed, and I'm not sure
>> if it is available via ppa on Karmic.
> It's 404 because there is no karmic version in the PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
>
> I doubt there will be either as karmic reaches EOL in April:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
>> Try downloading and installing
>> from the documentfoundation.org - that works nicely.
>>
> That would be my recommendation as well.
>
> @plino: installation instructions are here:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
> [Installation of LibreOffice on Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux systems]

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: Installing LibreOffice under Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tired a PPA several times with Ubuntu 9.x and 10.04.  It failed have the
> time
> I tried to install anything via PPA.  So I do not use it.

Gary already explained that - it isn't there.

> I think we need to make sure that the people who are Linux users have
> clear options fir installing via PPA and through the standard web site
> download and terminal install.  It is only a few lines to install via the
> terminal, so for me it is easier than setting up a PPA install.

A shell script would be better, like the update script that comes with it....

> I still use a PDF file to remind me what the commands are, but it does
> not change except the [file] name of the version to be installed.

As I said, a shell script would be better, and really simple:

#!/bin/bash
if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` <install-tarball>"
    exit 1
fi

tgz=$1
if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then    # try adding the .tar.gz suffices...
    tgz="${tgz}.tar.gz
    if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then
        echo "$tgz does not appear to be a gzipped tarball - please
check the file and try again."
        exit 1
    fi
fi
tar -xzf $tgz
dir=`basename $tgz .tar.gz`
if [[ ! -d $dir/DEBS ]]; then
    echo "I can't see a DEBS subdirectory - check your tarball again."
    exit 1
fi
cd $dir/DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
if [[ -d desktop-integration ]]; then
    cd desktop-integration
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
fi
echo "Done!"
echo ""

You can even use this to install the lang packs and help pack since it
doesn't care what the name of the file is.

On 02/16/2011 08:49 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press
> Productions<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I tired a PPA several times with Ubuntu 9.x and 10.04.  It failed have the
>> time
>> I tried to install anything via PPA.  So I do not use it.
>>
> Gary already explained that - it isn't there.
>
>> I think we need to make sure that the people who are Linux users have
>> clear options fir installing via PPA and through the standard web site
>> download and terminal install.  It is only a few lines to install via the
>> terminal, so for me it is easier than setting up a PPA install.
>>
> A shell script would be better, like the update script that comes with it....
>
>> I still use a PDF file to remind me what the commands are, but it does
>> not change except the [file] name of the version to be installed.
>>
> As I said, a shell script would be better, and really simple:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
>      echo "Usage: `basename $0`<install-tarball>"
>      exit 1
> fi
>
> tgz=$1
> if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then    # try adding the .tar.gz suffices...
>      tgz="${tgz}.tar.gz
>      if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then
>          echo "$tgz does not appear to be a gzipped tarball - please
> check the file and try again."
>          exit 1
>      fi
> fi
> tar -xzf $tgz
> dir=`basename $tgz .tar.gz`
> if [[ ! -d $dir/DEBS ]]; then
>      echo "I can't see a DEBS subdirectory - check your tarball again."
>      exit 1
> fi
> cd $dir/DEBS
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> if [[ -d desktop-integration ]]; then
>      cd desktop-integration
>      sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> fi
> echo "Done!"
> echo ""
>
> You can even use this to install the lang packs and help pack since it
> doesn't care what the name of the file is.

I tend to avoid shell scripts.
But the German DVD [snapshot and site] being made links to
the .bin scripts for installing Java's JRE for RPM [but DEB not shown
there].

If I had to do the install on several computers, I most likely would use
a script somewhere in the process, but I never really got into scripts.