Intermittent Unit Test Failure: VclComplexTextTest::testArabic

slacka slacka

Intermittent Unit Test Failure: VclComplexTextTest::testArabic

Over the years, I've probably done several hundred windows builds. Until now I have never been bitten an intermittent Unit Test failures. This month, I have started to see fairly regular failure of VclComplexTextTest::testArabic 3 out of ~15 builds.

Here are 2 separate examples of the Jenkins_Windows Tinderbox seeing the same failure in the past 2 days:

https://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=MASTER&brief-log=1537871271.4910

https://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=MASTER&brief-log=1537949563.7757

Has anyone investigated this? Is there any way to search Jenkins logs to see when this failure first occurred?

-Luke

[build CUT] drawinglayer_border
`anonymous namespace'::CanvasBitmapTest::runTest finished in: 841ms
C:/core/vcl/qa/cppunit/complextext.cxx:98:VclComplexTextTest::testArabic
equality assertion failed
- Expected: 72
- Actual  : 75

VclComplexTextTest::testArabic finished in: 971ms
VclComplexTextTest::testTdf95650 finished in: 527ms
C:/core/vcl/qa/cppunit/complextext.cxx(98) : error : Assertion
Test name: VclComplexTextTest::testArabic
equality assertion failed
- Expected: 72
- Actual  : 75

Failures !!!
Run: 3   Failure total: 1   Failures: 1   Errors: 0

Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
make CppunitTest_vcl_complextext CPPUNITTRACE=TRUE # which is a shortcut for the following line
make CppunitTest_vcl_complextext CPPUNITTRACE="'C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/devenv.exe' /debugexe" # for interactive debugging in Visual Studio
make CppunitTest_vcl_complextext CPPUNITTRACE="drmemory -free_max_frames 20" # for memory checking (install Dr.Memory first, and put it to your PATH)

You can limit the execution to just one particular test by:

[build DEP] LNK:CppunitTest/test_writerperfect_calc.dll
make CppunitTest_vcl_complextext CPPUNIT_TEST_NAME="testXYZ" ...above mentioned params...

[build LNK] CppunitTest/test_writerperfect_calc.dll
make[1]: *** [C:/core/solenv/gbuild/CppunitTest.mk:120: C:/core/workdir/CppunitTest/vcl_complextext.test] Error 1
   Creating library C:/core/workdir/LinkTarget/CppunitTest/itest_xmloff_uxmloff.lib and object C:/core/workdir/LinkTarget/CppunitTest/itest_xmloff_uxmloff.exp
make: *** [Makefile:286: build] Error 2

Jan-Marek Glogowski Jan-Marek Glogowski

Re: Intermittent Unit Test Failure: VclComplexTextTest::testArabic

Hi Luke,

failures for CppunitTest_vcl_complextext have been around for a few months. Nobody is able to reproduce them. IMHO they fail most time with loading of the wrong font.

Looking at the current state of https://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/MASTER/status.html, the master Jenkins Windows builds generally fail a lot.

For me it looks like a multi-threaded problem, where something isn't correct processed in order. I can reproduce crashes when I run a very parallel make check often, but never was able to get something in a debugger...

Not that any of this information will help solving the problem.

Jan-Marek
Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 23:58, Jan-Marek Glogowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me it looks like a multi-threaded problem, where something isn't correct processed in order. I can reproduce crashes when I run a very parallel make check often, but never was able to get something in a debugger...

mst

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 08:28, Noel Grandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 23:58, Jan-Marek Glogowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me it looks like a multi-threaded problem, where something isn't correct processed in order. I can reproduce crashes when I run a very parallel make check often, but never was able to get something in a debugger...

Michael Stahl has had some success debugging rare stuff by running everything under rr and then debugging those traces.

Am 27.09.2018 um 08:28 schrieb Noel Grandin:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 08:28, Noel Grandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 23:58, Jan-Marek Glogowski <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For me it looks like a multi-threaded problem, where something isn't
>>> correct processed in order. I can reproduce crashes when I run a very
>>> parallel make check often, but never was able to get something in a
>>> debugger...
>>>

> Michael Stahl has had some success debugging rare stuff by running
> everything under rr and then debugging those traces.

First problem is reproduceability.
Second - it's Windows specific so no rr.

Jan-Marek