Ipad

guingy9 guingy9

Ipad

Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Ipad

Hi,

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 10:30 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

I do not think the iPad is supported, but the Mac is definitely
supported. I am not sure what would happen if tried to install LO on an
iPad because I am not sure of the differences between the iPad OS and
the Mac OS, if any are significant in this case.

--
Jay Lozier

Tom Tom

Re: Ipad

Hi :)
+1
I think LibreOffice wont work on an iPad yet.  It does work on OS X tho so it
might be worth trying.  It might be worth having a quick look for a "how to
install" guide in documentation
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

It might also be worth trying Calligra (a fork from KOffice) instead
http://www.calligra-suite.org/
If you only need a very light-weight word-processor or spreadsheet then it might
be worth looking for AbiWord and Gnumeric but i think you will probably prefer
the look&feel of Calligra.

Hmm, now i have actually hunted around Calligra's site i can't find how to get
their "Calligra Active" which seems aimed at Meego rather than iPad.  It might
be worth asking in their forums, sorry

________________________________
On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 10:30 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

I do not think the iPad is supported, but the Mac is definitely
supported. I am not sure what would happen if tried to install LO on an
iPad because I am not sure of the differences between the iPad OS and
the Mac OS, if any are significant in this case.

--
Jay Lozier

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Ipad

Le 19/08/11 16:30, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

Yes, but it won't run, so not much point really.
Someone is currently working on the feasibility of getting LibreOffice
to be built for iOS, so maybe one day you might be able to have
LibreOffice on your iPad.

Alex

Tom Tom

Re: Ipad

Hi :)
Thanks for confirming that Alex.  I was not sure at all so it's good to have
someone that would know for certain confirm it.

________________________________
Le 19/08/11 16:30, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

Yes, but it won't run, so not much point really.
Someone is currently working on the feasibility of getting LibreOffice
to be built for iOS, so maybe one day you might be able to have
LibreOffice on your iPad.

Alex

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Ipad

On 08/22/2011 06:56 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 19/08/11 16:30, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?
>>
> Yes, but it won't run, so not much point really.
> Someone is currently working on the feasibility of getting LibreOffice
> to be built for iOS, so maybe one day you might be able to have
> LibreOffice on your iPad.
>
> Alex
Maybe someone could look into Android OS as well.  More and more tablets
run this and it would be nice to get into that market.  One thing,
though, it would have to be a "stripped down" version of LO since there
are RAM and storage issues.  But, most people running a tablet will not
be a power user, so it would not matter to most of them to have less
function than the desktop version.

David H. Lipman David H. Lipman

Re: Ipad

From: <[hidden email]>

> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

This is a tablet device without a keyboard - Yes ?

I can't imagine this to be a very proficient platform for Word-processing the likes of an
Office Suite.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Tom Tom

Re: Ipad

Hi :)
It might be good for reviewing documents on the train or small ad-hoc meetings
in restaurants and maybe doing a little light editing.  I think reviewing in
awkward places is where it would really score.

Sadly LibreOffice is not yet ready for mobile devices.  The closest is the
Portable Apps thing where you can install to usb-stick and then use on other
people's desktops.  Also Google-docs complements LibreOffice and prefers the
same native format too.

________________________________
> Can i download libre office to an iPad ?

This is a tablet device without a keyboard - Yes ?

I can't imagine this to be a very proficient platform for Word-processing the
likes of an

Office Suite.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Re: Ipad

"Tom Davies" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi :)
> It might be good for reviewing documents on the train or small ad-hoc
> meetings
> in restaurants and maybe doing a little light editing.  I think reviewing
> in
> awkward places is where it would really score.
>

> Sadly LibreOffice is not yet ready for mobile devices.  The closest is the
> Portable Apps thing where you can install to usb-stick and then use on
> other
> people's desktops.

Windows only, of course :-(

Also Google-docs complements LibreOffice and prefers the
> same native format too.

<snip>

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

On 08/23/2011 05:35 AM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Tom Davies" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Hi :)
>> It might be good for reviewing documents on the train or small ad-hoc
>> meetings
>> in restaurants and maybe doing a little light editing.  I think
>> reviewing in
>> awkward places is where it would really score.
>>

>> Sadly LibreOffice is not yet ready for mobile devices.  The closest
>> is the
>> Portable Apps thing where you can install to usb-stick and then use
>> on other
>> people's desktops.
>
> Windows only, of course :-(
>
> Also Google-docs complements LibreOffice and prefers the
>> same native format too.
>>
> <snip>
Still, it would be nice to get a version of LO that works on Google's
Android, or iPad's OS.

There are many "experts" out there stating that the tablet will be
"death" of the PC market.  Until you can use it to print, scan, and all
those other applications that you need the computing power and the
ability to attached printers/scanners/etc., there will be a PC.  Also,
until these tablets can have RAM in the 4GB range and storage in the
1-3TB range, there will still be PCs.

But, people will still need a good office package for their tablets.
LO's portable version is great for Windows based systems, but it would
be useful if someone would look into what it would take to make an
Android OS version of LO.  That is a fast growing market that should be
considered for a future market of LO.

Tom Tom

Re: Re: Ipad

Hi :)
I agree.

ZdNet are claiming that the special offer on HP Tablets will "finally kill the
tablet market" with a claim that people don't buy iPads because they are good
tablets  They say that people buy iPads because they are good Apple products.
I'm not sure i completely agree about the first bit but the 2nd seems obvious.

I'm not sure i would want a HP Tablet for $99 when there is a certainty that the
hardware and the OS  are already completely unsupported.  Low Ram and stuff
suggest that the first thing to do would be set-up a dual-boot into a Gnu&Linux
and avoid ever using the default OS.

A lot of people "in the city" (outside of their offices) seem to be using much
smaller hand-held devices these days.  Netbooks and tablets seem much more rare
now because Windows grinds to a halt on them.  Apple and Gnu&Linux seem to stay
fast and work well on them so there are a few around, usually as a luxury item.

It would be great if LibreOffice supported "gestures" but i have never had the
opportunity to check if it already does or not.  It would be smart tho :)

________________________________
On 08/23/2011 05:35 AM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Tom Davies" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> Hi :)
>> It might be good for reviewing documents on the train or small ad-hoc
meetings

>> in restaurants and maybe doing a little light editing.  I think reviewing in
>> awkward places is where it would really score.
>>

>> Sadly LibreOffice is not yet ready for mobile devices.  The closest is the
>> Portable Apps thing where you can install to usb-stick and then use on other
>> people's desktops.
>
> Windows only, of course :-(
>
> Also Google-docs complements LibreOffice and prefers the
>> same native format too.
>>
> <snip>
Still, it would be nice to get a version of LO that works on Google's Android,
or iPad's OS.

There are many "experts" out there stating that the tablet will be "death" of
the PC market.  Until you can use it to print, scan, and all those other
applications that you need the computing power and the ability to attached
printers/scanners/etc., there will be a PC.  Also, until these tablets can have
RAM in the 4GB range and storage in the 1-3TB range, there will still be PCs.

But, people will still need a good office package for their tablets.  LO's
portable version is great for Windows based systems, but it would be useful if
someone would look into what it would take to make an Android OS version of LO.
That is a fast growing market that should be considered for a future market of
LO.

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Re: Ipad

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.