Japanese and Korean Fonts Requirements for building on Arch

slacka slacka

Japanese and Korean Fonts Requirements for building on Arch

On a fresh install of Arch, I installed the https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Linux_Build_Dependencies  requirements. During the build I get the following notification:

Additional Fonts Required
An application is requesting additional fonts.

Clicking on the notification, the Software center says, "Japanese and Korean you were searching for could not be found"

What fonts do I need?

The message pops up during this part of the build:

[SCK] smoketest
[PYT] solenv_python
[SCK] sot
[SCK] starmath
[JUT] svl_complex
[SCK] svtools
[SCK] svx
[SCK] sw
[SCK] toolkit
[SCK] ucb
[SCK] unotools
[SCK] unoxml
[SCK] xmloff
[UIT] cui
[UIT] sc
[UIT] sd
[UIT] sw

Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

Re: Japanese and Korean Fonts Requirements for building on Arch

On Sat, 2019-03-23 at 02:23 +0000, Luke Benes wrote:

> On a fresh install of Arch, I installed the
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Linux_Build_Dependencies
>   requirements. During the build I get the following notification:
>
> Additional Fonts Required
> An application is requesting additional fonts.
>
> Clicking on the notification, the Software center says, "Japanese and
> Korean you were searching for could not be found"
>
> What fonts do I need?

This attempt to install missing fonts is presumably coming from
vcl/unx/generic/fontmanager/fontconfig.cxx:1050 the line containing
":lang=". Presumably there aren't fonts installed that has support for
some code points used in some tests somewhere or that are categorized
as Japanese and Korean code points.

So the request isn't for specific named fonts, but for fonts that
support Korean and fonts that support Japanese, as a proxy for "fonts
that probably contain these missing codepoints"

i.e. to have something listed by "fc-list :lang=ko" and
"fc-list :lang=ja". Under fedora, at least, that can be manually done
as "dnf install 'font(:lang=ko)'"

Anyhow, we probably don't want the build tests to go around requesting
fonts to be installed during the build

The block is protected by Application::IsHeadlessModeEnabled() and by
officecfg::Office::Common::PackageKit::EnableFontInstallation so
depending on what test is triggering it tweaking the caller to disable
EnableFontInstallation should make it stop doing that.

Adding std::abort probably would help track down the test in question.