Just an opinion

txemaclon txemaclon

Just an opinion

Hello,
I went from Windows to Linux Mint one year ago. One of the best decisions in
my life. Then I went from Office to Libreoffice. ¿And what to say about
this? Hummmm.....
Libreoffice writer is a thousand times better than MS Word. But it is no
difficult to be better than the biggest garbage in software world.
I think Writer is too similar to Word, or at least too much inspired by him,
and so it is very difficult to be something really good.
It is just my opinion. I apologize if this is not the place to express it.
Best regards;

John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

Re: Just an opinion

On 2020-02-22 17:04, txemaclon wrote:
> Libreoffice writer is a thousand times better than MS Word. But ... I
> think Writer is too similar to Word, or at least too much inspired by
> him, and so it is very difficult to be something really good. ...

Without disagreeing with either of your points, I think you need to realize that "better" is not adequate to guarantee use. (If it were, Word would not have displaced WordPerfect.) Enough people are sufficiently intimidated by these tools that they want little more than the comfort of relative familiarity. If LO sacrifices that (not to mention DOC/DOCX read and write), it will be difficult to get people to switch to something better. At least LO has not yet inflicted a ribbon on its users. Virtually every LO enhancement has to weigh the "compatibility" canard.

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

Re: Just an opinion

   I agree, with that analysis.. the entire thing of tracking into open
source pay for use software is
bad,, it allows the pay for use people to force everyone to buy there
stuff,even thought it is mostly
useless. usually that happens because the pay for use software (PFU
software people lobby
governments to require that it be used to access government.

there were several very good word processor apps in play before the
mobsters gobbled them
up or forced the companies that made them out of business.  It has come
to my attention that
the money to gobble up these very good competitors was given by the
intelligence community,
because spytelligence could not write tools that worked on all types of
word processors or spread sheets.