Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Next » 12
Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

The Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July 17,
2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a Free
Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha is
done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt

The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
community working on Indian Language support and localizations

See below poster .

https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557

Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language press
and it is available here

http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/

The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]

International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has brought
out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]

Related Links

[1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
[2] http://www.zyxware.com/
[3] http://icfoss.in
[4] http://smc.org.in
[5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
[6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf

~ regards

Anivar Aravind
Secretary
Swathanthra Malayalam Computing
http://smc.org.in

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Dear Nivar,

Thanks a lot, great news; do you happen to have a pointer about these
news in English?

Best,

Charles.

Le 17.07.2014 10:28, Anivar Aravind a écrit :

> The Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July
> 17,
> 2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a
> Free
> Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
> Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
> unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha
> is
> done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt
>
> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
> foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>
> See below poster .
>
> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>
> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language
> press
> and it is available here
>
> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>
> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in
> the
> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>
> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has
> brought
> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]
>
> Related Links
>
> [1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
> [2] http://www.zyxware.com/
> [3] http://icfoss.in
> [4] http://smc.org.in
> [5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
> [6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf
>

> ~ regards
>
> Anivar Aravind
> Secretary
> Swathanthra Malayalam Computing
> http://smc.org.in

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Nivar,

Hi I am anivar

> Thanks a lot, great news; do you happen to have a pointer about these news
> in English?

English Press is not carried the news yet. Hope some of them will carry it
soon. and people worked on this is planning a detail post on  challenges,
issues faced and outcomes . I hope i can share the link within next few
days .

~ regards
Anivar

Rajesh Ranjan-2 Rajesh Ranjan-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:58 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >T he Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July 17,
> 2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a Free
> Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
> Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
> unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha is
> done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt
>
> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
> foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>
> See below poster .
>
> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>
> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language press
> and it is available here
>
> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>
> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>
> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has brought
> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]
>
> Related Links
>
> [1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
> [2] http://www.zyxware.com/
> [3] http://icfoss.in
> [4] http://smc.org.in
> [5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
> [6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf

Great News Anivar! Congratulations everybody! Kerela is becoming role model for the foss efforts and no doubt, the push by different organizations and vibrant FOSS Kerala community people like you are very much helpful in achieving the same. We should try to build similar foss eco-system in other parts of India also!

------------------------
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

twitter: @kajha
facebook: rajeshkajha
www.rajeshranjan.in

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Some news links in English from today's coverage

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/Software-Migration-ICFOSS-Hails-State-Govt/2014/07/18/article2335680.ece
http://freepressjournal.in/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/news/kerala/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-149244.html
http://www.newswala.com/India-National-News/Kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-for-its-business-68287.html
http://www.bgr.in/news/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>>>
>>> See below poster .
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>>>
>>> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language
>>> press
>>> and it is available here
>>>
>>> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
>>> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>>>
>>> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
>>> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
>>> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
>>> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>>>
>>> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has
>>> brought
>>> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Thanks, just tweeted it!

Best,

Charles.

Anousak Souphavanh Anousak Souphavanh

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Well done and congrats for the efforrs you guys put in.

Anousak
Lao Open Source
On Jul 18, 2014 1:52 PM, "Charles-H. Schulz" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, just tweeted it!
>
> Best,
>
> Charles.
>
> On 18 juillet 2014 06:59:43 CEST, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >Some news links in English from today's coverage
> >

> http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/Software-Migration-ICFOSS-Hails-State-Govt/2014/07/18/article2335680.ece
> >
> http://freepressjournal.in/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
> >
> http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/news/kerala/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-149244.html
> >
> http://www.newswala.com/India-National-News/Kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-for-its-business-68287.html
> >
> http://www.bgr.in/news/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
> >

> >On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Anivar Aravind
> ><[hidden email]>
> >wrote:

> >> Hi I am anivar

> >these
> >>>

> >> English Press is not carried the news yet. Hope some of them will
> >carry it
> >> soon. and people worked on this is planning a detail post on
> >challenges,
> >> issues faced and outcomes . I hope i can share the link within next
> >few
> >> days .
> >>
> >> ~ regards
> >> Anivar

> >July 17,
> >Free
> >undertaking
> >Niyamasabha is

> >promote
> >developer

> >language

> >order
> >in the
> >[5]

> >these

> >July 17,
> >Free
> >undertaking
> >Niyamasabha is

> >promote
> >developer

> >language

> >order
> >in the
> >[5]

> >--
> >All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >deleted
>
> --
> Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Best News report so far
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/states/kerala-legislature-announces-smooth-transition-to-free-software/article6224551.ece

use this for sharing /case studies

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
> http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

"Charles-H. Schulz":

> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2]

Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Urmas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Charles-H. Schulz":
>

>  The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
>> Technologies[2]
>>

> Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
> But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.

WTF?

We l10n people in india usually calls it as "Swathantra Software" (means
Libre/freedom Software) as reported in local language press. If you have
ambiguity with the word "free ". That is a problem in your understanding .
Please stop judging local contexts with mistaken understandings.

And In this part of the Glob we have all Govt and state aided Schools using
FOSS, Govt policies have specific mention about FOSS . Experiences like
this were state funds for an implementation partner to initiate migration .

~

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

> Best News report so far
>
> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/states/kerala-legislature-announces-smooth-transition-to-free-software/article6224551.ece
>
> use this for sharing /case studies
>

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
> >
> http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

​Wonderful news, Anivar ! Thanks for the heads-up !

Henri

Jim Seymour Jim Seymour

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:07:56 +0700
"Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Charles-H. Schulz":
>
> > The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> > Technologies[2]
>
> Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software
> migration.'

How do you get embezzlement of funds out of a story about a government
body switching to open standards?

> But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.

Not entirely.  Don't look now: But major corporations have donated
various resources to all manner of FOSS development.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Pay no attention to Urmas, he's a known troll / MS shill, he's always
coming out with antagonistic, and usually easily seen through,
statements.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:27:55 -0400
Jim Seymour <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:07:56 +0700
> "Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > "Charles-H. Schulz":
> >
> > > The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> > > Technologies[2]
> >
> > Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software
> > migration.'
>
> How do you get embezzlement of funds out of a story about a government
> body switching to open standards?
>
> > But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.
>
> Not entirely.  Don't look now: But major corporations have donated
> various resources to all manner of FOSS development.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Jim Seymour Jim Seymour

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:16:24 +0200
Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pay no attention to Urmas, he's a known troll / MS shill, he's always
> coming out with antagonistic, and usually easily seen through,
> statements.
[snip]

Been here since February.  I know what Urmas is :)

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

:)

My bad, I meant to reply to Anivar's email, I assumed he didn't know
what an Urmas was

Paul

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:47:23 -0400
Jim Seymour <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:16:24 +0200
> Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Pay no attention to Urmas, he's a known troll / MS shill, he's
> > always coming out with antagonistic, and usually easily seen
> > through, statements.
> [snip]
>
> Been here since February.  I know what Urmas is :)
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

"Jim Seymour":

> How do you get embezzlement of funds out of a story about a government
> body switching to open standards?

By buying new computers from the suppliers giving the best kickbacks and
dumping the astronomic sums of money into 'open source implementation'
subcontractors, ending up with stock Ubuntu with a changed wallpaper.
We've seen that times and times, in many 3rd-world countries with corrupted
governments.

William Gathoye William Gathoye

Re: Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Jim Seymour Jim Seymour

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:44:39 +0700
"Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Jim Seymour":
>
> > How do you get embezzlement of funds out of a story about a
> > government body switching to open standards?
>
> By buying new computers from the suppliers giving the best kickbacks
> and dumping the astronomic sums of money into 'open source
> implementation' subcontractors, ending up with stock Ubuntu with a
> changed wallpaper. We've seen that times and times, in many 3rd-world
> countries with corrupted governments.

Nobody ever does that with commercial software, and it's always done
with FOSS?

Right.

Urmas, this may come as something of a surprise to you, but people
aren't as stupid as you apparently believe they are.  Your incessant,
inept shilling for Microsoft is quite obvious.

Please go somewhere else to play.  You've become tedious.

Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On 22 Jul 2014 16:57, "William Gathoye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Next » 12