Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

12 « Prev
Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

"Jim Seymour":

> Nobody ever does that with commercial software,

Vendors of commercial software control their partners.

If there was nothing fishy we would have detailed reports, case studies and,
which is more important, a comparison of costs of the chosen solution and
competitors ones. Here? Totally opaque embezzling.

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

This is all pretty fantastic!  Congrats to anyone involved.

Please can we just drop all the threads that have an Urmas in them?  Just
ignore the obvious FUD and avoid engaging.

If doing a migration with any kind of assessment of hardware requirements
or with any advice from almost anyone familiar with OpenSource then it's
highly likely that little or no new hardware needs to be bought except
where hand-helds are seen as more useful than a desktop.

Without guidance people might have ended up buying new kit but will soon
find that new kit lasts "forever".  Staying with proprietary systems means
fairly frequent hardware upgrades just in order to keep doing the same
stuff.  If people have upgraded to new hardware they will also begin to
realise they can bring the old stuff back into use, or give to worthy
causes such as those with charitable aims.

Redon Skikuli Redon Skikuli

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Great news! Congrats to everyone that worked to make this happen.
I shared this with the minister of innovation of Albania as a case study
worth checking out (at least).

Best,

*---*

*Redon Skikuli*
*e-mail: **[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*
* web: **www.skikuli.com <http://www.skikuli.com>*

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> This is all pretty fantastic!  Congrats to anyone involved.
>
> Please can we just drop all the threads that have an Urmas in them?  Just
> ignore the obvious FUD and avoid engaging.
>
> If doing a migration with any kind of assessment of hardware requirements
> or with any advice from almost anyone familiar with OpenSource then it's
> highly likely that little or no new hardware needs to be bought except
> where hand-helds are seen as more useful than a desktop.
>
> Without guidance people might have ended up buying new kit but will soon
> find that new kit lasts "forever".  Staying with proprietary systems means
> fairly frequent hardware upgrades just in order to keep doing the same
> stuff.  If people have upgraded to new hardware they will also begin to
> realise they can bring the old stuff back into use, or give to worthy
> causes such as those with charitable aims.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 19 July 2014 06:24, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Best News report so far
> >

> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/states/kerala-legislature-announces-smooth-transition-to-free-software/article6224551.ece
> >
> > use this for sharing /case studies
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Anivar Aravind <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
> > >

> http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software
> > >

> > --
> > deleted

William Gathoye William Gathoye

Re: Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

TomD TomD

Re: Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Hi :)
The Users Support mailing list had this post sometime yesterday from Tim
Lloyd;
"
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/open-document-formats-selected-to-meet-user-needs
the link says it all. Let's hope this trend continues
"

Later in the thread Jim Seymour said

"
Two governments in less than a week's time.  Very good news! :)
Regards,
Jim
"

William that looks like a good way of handling it.  For online stuff it's
quite easy to adapt or change if someone does object and in this case it's
difficult to imagine they would object anyway.  Printed Documentation that
gets widely distributed might need to be a bit more careful when uncertain
but that is a "different bottle of crisps altogether".

Thanks Tim, Jim and William!

On 23 July 2014 14:03, William Gathoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

12 « Prev