LEBRE VERSION STILL

Next » 12
Vermas Chandigarh Vermas Chandigarh

LEBRE VERSION STILL

Have said this earlier also – the software does not work with nitro pdf writer 8 and beyod. The office software just hangs.
Sorry but this bug is not taken care of by you guys
Regards
Sanjay verma
india

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

LibreOffice does not need a PDF printer, so this is not a bug. You can
produce a better PDF using the integrated feature, which has been
available for ages.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
mobile +39.348.5653829 - email / jabber [hidden email]

jmadero jmadero

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Also - we are not your personal support group. We're a group of volunteers
and we fix what we want to fix (unless someone is paying for support
through a 3rd party entity). If this is a bug (which as Italo stated, it
seems unlikely) your options are:

1. Fix it yourself;
2. Pay for a fix;
3. Find a friend/family member to fix it;
4. Wait patiently until a volunteer *chooses* to fix it.

Lastly, reporting "bugs" (or maybe non-bugs) to the user list isn't helpful
at all. Bug reports go to bugs.libreoffice.org.

Best,
Joel

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Vermas Chandigarh <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Have said this earlier also – the software does not work with nitro pdf
> writer 8 and beyod. The office software just hangs.
> Sorry but this bug is not taken care of by you guys
> Regards
> Sanjay verma
> india
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

*Joel Madero*
LibreOffice QA Volunteer

Dave Barton Dave Barton

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

For Windows, I do not remember anything about Nitro PDF Writer.  I have
on Windows [and Linux] a PDF writer as my default printing "device".
For Windows, I use doPDF.  I have used it for years now.

The only advantage, if any, for external PDF writers, may be in their
specific options that may be different than what LibreOffice has in
their "export to PDF" options.

It use to be an issue that LO's PDF filter did not embed properly all of
the "specialty fonts" I tend to use.  As far as I have been told, this
should no longer be an issue, though I have not fully checked this.  I
do know that the resulting "export to PDF" file size is different than
what is created by my Ubuntu's system CUPS-PDF "printer" [and Windows
doPDF].  The difference can be 10% to 40% larger or smaller, depending
on what options are used and what fonts are embedded into the document.

For most of my LibreOffice work, I use the export to PDF option. It is
just easier.  But I do know that for Windows 7 and 10, doPDF works just
fine with LibreOffice.  So maybe you might want to look into trying that
package instead of Nitro.

I just looked. . .  Nitro PDF seems to be a paid package, after the 14
day trial.  "doPDF" is free to use and not any trial.  I cannot afford
to pay for my software packages.  "doPDF" seems to me as the best free
PDF printer for Windows 7.  Plus, as I stated before, it works with
LibreOffice on Windows 7 and 10.  Since your "Nitro" package seems not
to work, try this free option, if you do not want to use LibreOffice's
PDF exporting capabilities.

On 11/03/2015 12:34 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> LibreOffice does not need a PDF printer, so this is not a bug. You can
> produce a better PDF using the integrated feature, which has been
> available for ages.
>
> On 03/11/2015 18:26, Vermas Chandigarh wrote:
>> Have said this earlier also – the software does not work with nitro pdf writer 8 and beyod. The office software just hangs.
>> Sorry but this bug is not taken care of by you guys

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Tim,

Thanks for the tip.

I've been using PDFCreator for my Windows boxes for years and am
usually pretty happy with it, but I'll give doPDF a shot.

I work in a mixed environment with an Xubuntu desktop and a Windows
laptop and I don't like having to keep track of all the printer links
for both OSes, so I use PDFs from Windows to print from Linux.

At home, I use PDFs from my Windows VM so I don't need to connect it
directly to a printer (or have it steal my printer when I run the VM).
It's an extra step, but I also get permanent copies of the PDFs for
future reference.

MR

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For Windows, I do not remember anything about Nitro PDF Writer.  I have on
> Windows [and Linux] a PDF writer as my default printing "device".  For
> Windows, I use doPDF.  I have used it for years now.
>
> The only advantage, if any, for external PDF writers, may be in their
> specific options that may be different than what LibreOffice has in their
> "export to PDF" options.
>
> It use to be an issue that LO's PDF filter did not embed properly all of the
> "specialty fonts" I tend to use.  As far as I have been told, this should no
> longer be an issue, though I have not fully checked this.  I do know that
> the resulting "export to PDF" file size is different than what is created by
> my Ubuntu's system CUPS-PDF "printer" [and Windows doPDF].  The difference
> can be 10% to 40% larger or smaller, depending on what options are used and
> what fonts are embedded into the document.
>
> For most of my LibreOffice work, I use the export to PDF option. It is just
> easier.  But I do know that for Windows 7 and 10, doPDF works just fine with
> LibreOffice.  So maybe you might want to look into trying that package
> instead of Nitro.
>
> I just looked. . .  Nitro PDF seems to be a paid package, after the 14 day
> trial.  "doPDF" is free to use and not any trial.  I cannot afford to pay
> for my software packages.  "doPDF" seems to me as the best free PDF printer
> for Windows 7.  Plus, as I stated before, it works with LibreOffice on
> Windows 7 and 10.  Since your "Nitro" package seems not to work, try this
> free option, if you do not want to use LibreOffice's PDF exporting
> capabilities.
>

> On 11/03/2015 12:34 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
>>
>> LibreOffice does not need a PDF printer, so this is not a bug. You can
>> produce a better PDF using the integrated feature, which has been
>> available for ages.
>>
>> On 03/11/2015 18:26, Vermas Chandigarh wrote:
>>>
>>> Have said this earlier also – the software does not work with nitro pdf
>>> writer 8 and beyod. The office software just hangs.
>>> Sorry but this bug is not taken care of by you guys

snowshed snowshed

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 11/3/15 10:51 AM, Joel Madero wrote:
> we fix what we want to fix

This is the weakness of any open source project that states it wishes to
take on something like MS Office or Word Perfect.

There's really only two choices...  If you want to just fix what you
want to fix, which is fine with me, don't tell people you wish to
compete with MS Office or WordPerfect.  You end up with a result users
will not appreciate.

If you want to go head to head with with MS or Corel, then you'll have
to fix the problems your uses have with the program.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

> If you want to go head to head with with MS or Corel, then you'll have to
> fix the problems your uses have with the program.

​It's been pointed out already, and I'll reproduce it here:

If this is a bug your options are:
> 1. Fix it yourself;
> 2. Pay for a fix;
> 3. Find a friend/family member to fix it;
> 4. Wait patiently until a volunteer *chooses* to fix it.

​Really, as with any opensource project, every resource is finite,
including dev time. What get prioritized by the main devs is (in no
particular order, this is a general remark not specific to LibreOffice)
bugs affecting a very large part of the userbase, trivial issues to fix
(those are rare!), and things that devs are interested in. This also mean
that problems users have with the program do get fixed (just check the
bugtracker).

Beyond that, asking for an opensource project to dedicate resources to fix
a minor issue that is unnoticed by almost everyone (or, in the case of this
thread, something that is not even a bug in LibreOffice) is not reasonable.
If one encounter a particularly nasty issue and can't raise interest in it,
there are companies that can fix them for a price. It have happened before,
and I don't doubt that it will continue to happen.

Note that I'm not even touching the subject of those big corporations
reactivity with minor issues; commercial products might have more
ressources, but I'm sure there's a fair number of minor bugs that have left
some users disgruntled ;)

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Hi.
I use an external PDF writer for some documents where LO fails to
convert vector formats correctly.
That said, if I use the external converter I loose all my cross
referencing and TOC links that LO does very well in my opinion.
Steve

On 2015-11-05 06:10, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> For Windows, I do not remember anything about Nitro PDF Writer.  I
> have on Windows [and Linux] a PDF writer as my default printing
> "device".  For Windows, I use doPDF.  I have used it for years now.
>
> The only advantage, if any, for external PDF writers, may be in their
> specific options that may be different than what LibreOffice has in
> their "export to PDF" options.
>
> It use to be an issue that LO's PDF filter did not embed properly all
> of the "specialty fonts" I tend to use.  As far as I have been told,
> this should no longer be an issue, though I have not fully checked
> this.  I do know that the resulting "export to PDF" file size is
> different than what is created by my Ubuntu's system CUPS-PDF
> "printer" [and Windows doPDF].  The difference can be 10% to 40%
> larger or smaller, depending on what options are used and what fonts
> are embedded into the document.
>
> For most of my LibreOffice work, I use the export to PDF option. It is
> just easier.  But I do know that for Windows 7 and 10, doPDF works
> just fine with LibreOffice.  So maybe you might want to look into
> trying that package instead of Nitro.
>
> I just looked. . .  Nitro PDF seems to be a paid package, after the 14
> day trial.  "doPDF" is free to use and not any trial.  I cannot afford
> to pay for my software packages.  "doPDF" seems to me as the best free
> PDF printer for Windows 7.  Plus, as I stated before, it works with
> LibreOffice on Windows 7 and 10.  Since your "Nitro" package seems not
> to work, try this free option, if you do not want to use LibreOffice's
> PDF exporting capabilities.
>

> On 11/03/2015 12:34 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
>> LibreOffice does not need a PDF printer, so this is not a bug. You can
>> produce a better PDF using the integrated feature, which has been
>> available for ages.
>>
>> On 03/11/2015 18:26, Vermas Chandigarh wrote:
>>> Have said this earlier also – the software does not work with nitro
>>> pdf writer 8 and beyod. The office software just hangs.
>>> Sorry but this bug is not taken care of by you guys

snowshed snowshed

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 11/4/15 5:43 PM, Cley Faye wrote:

>> If you want to go head to head with with MS or Corel, then you'll have to
>> fix the problems your uses have with the program.
>

> ​It's been pointed out already, and I'll reproduce it here:
>
> If this is a bug your options are:
>> 1. Fix it yourself;
>> 2. Pay for a fix;
>> 3. Find a friend/family member to fix it;
>> 4. Wait patiently until a volunteer *chooses* to fix it.
>
> ​
> ​Really, as with any opensource project, every resource is finite,
> including dev time.

Are you saying commercial enterprises don't have finite resources?

> What get prioritized by the main devs is (in no
> particular order, this is a general remark not specific to LibreOffice)
> bugs affecting a very large part of the userbase, trivial issues to fix
> (those are rare!), and things that devs are interested in. This also mean
> that problems users have with the program do get fixed (just check the
> bugtracker).

You have to identify the members of the userbase.  Are they ordinary
individuals for whom the bugs may or may not be trivial?  And they have
the time to spend looking for workarounds.  Or, are they a commercial
individual/entity that is competing with other individuals/entities in
the market place?  That's a place were time *is* money.  And I believe
they want a product that works, not a product that needs work.

While some bug may be deemed trivial by the devs or some system, that
bug may not be trivial to the user.

> Beyond that, asking for an opensource project to dedicate resources to fix
> a minor issue that is unnoticed by almost everyone (or, in the case of this
> thread, something that is not even a bug in LibreOffice) is not reasonable.
> If one encounter a particularly nasty issue and can't raise interest in it,
> there are companies that can fix them for a price. It have happened before,
> and I don't doubt that it will continue to happen.

Which is fine, but not my point.  Commercial entities know their
survival is based on meeting user needs, not the needs of management of
those entities.  It's a fundamentally different viewpoint.

> Note that I'm not even touching the subject of those big corporations
> reactivity with minor issues; commercial products might have more
> ressources, but I'm sure there's a fair number of minor bugs that have left
> some users disgruntled ;)

Which is why I'm leaving Libre Office for the 2nd time.  The deal
breaker was finding out that in 5.x, once again LO could not print Avery
labels.  There has to be something out of kilter in the development
process for this to reoccur.  If people are going to trust any product
in the market place, they have to have faith that problems fixed remain
fixed.

When it comes to LO, I no longer have that faith.  I can't go tell
people to use LO for their word processing needs, when a basic function
today includes printing mailing labels, when it's broken again.  I'll
just find a different suite that doesn't exhibit the problems I notice.

FWIW, I always look for open source or free software that meets my
needs.  And I will continue to do so.  LO just won't be one of those
sources that I'll support or recommend.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 05/11/2015 04:24, Ken Springer wrote:

> While some bug may be deemed trivial by the devs or some system, that bug may not be trivial to the user.

That is why individuals and organization purchase Tier 3 support
contracts. It does matter if the software is FLOSS, or non-FLOSS, the
only way to ensure that issues that the user considers to be serious
flaws/bugs, is by either fixing the issue themselves, or paying somebody
to fix the issue.

jonathon

snowshed snowshed

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 11/5/15 12:12 AM, toki wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 04:24, Ken Springer wrote:
>
>> While some bug may be deemed trivial by the devs or some system, that bug may not be trivial to the user.
>
> That is why individuals and organization purchase Tier 3 support
> contracts. It does matter if the software is FLOSS, or non-FLOSS, the
> only way to ensure that issues that the user considers to be serious
> flaws/bugs, is by either fixing the issue themselves, or paying somebody
> to fix the issue.

Or by going elsewhere, using someone else's product.  :-)

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Hello Ken,

Le 05.11.2015 11:24, Ken Springer a écrit :

> On 11/5/15 12:12 AM, toki wrote:
>> On 05/11/2015 04:24, Ken Springer wrote:
>>
>>> While some bug may be deemed trivial by the devs or some system, that
>>> bug may not be trivial to the user.
>>
>> That is why individuals and organization purchase Tier 3 support
>> contracts. It does matter if the software is FLOSS, or non-FLOSS, the
>> only way to ensure that issues that the user considers to be serious
>> flaws/bugs, is by either fixing the issue themselves, or paying
>> somebody
>> to fix the issue.
>
> Or by going elsewhere, using someone else's product.  :-)

Of course, especially given that LibreOffice is not a product but a
community. A product comes with warranties and things such as support
contract. It also comes with a price tag. That being said, nobody's
working for free; do you? Using someone else's products will require
them at some point to purchase something (a license, a support contract,
etc.)

Cheers,

Charles.

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 05/11/15 04:21, Steve Edmonds wrote:
> I use an external PDF writer for some documents where LO fails to
> convert vector formats correctly.
> That said, if I use the external converter I loose all my cross
> referencing and TOC links that LO does very well in my opinion.
> Steve

I have used export to pdf in LO Writer and always had a good pdf copy
but the TOC links never work in the pdf version.  I've tried the
different options under the links tab in the export to pdf dialogue but
can't find any difference whatever the options selected.

I'm using LO 4.2.8.2 as supplied by UbuntuStudio 1404.  For reading the
pdf's, I use Okular.

Does the use/performance of TOC links in the pdf depend on the reader ?

Philip

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Maybe, but make sure using styles to have a result ;)

---
Gabriele Ponzo

> On 05/11/15 04:21, Steve Edmonds wrote:
> > I use an external PDF writer for some documents where LO fails to
> > convert vector formats correctly.
> > That said, if I use the external converter I loose all my cross
> > referencing and TOC links that LO does very well in my opinion.
> > Steve
>
> I have used export to pdf in LO Writer and always had a good pdf copy
> but the TOC links never work in the pdf version.  I've tried the
> different options under the links tab in the export to pdf dialogue but
> can't find any difference whatever the options selected.
>
> I'm using LO 4.2.8.2 as supplied by UbuntuStudio 1404.  For reading the
> pdf's, I use Okular.
>
> Does the use/performance of TOC links in the pdf depend on the reader ?
>
> Philip

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Hi all:

        As I understand LO has an area of support buying it,... I'm not sure.
Or someone here can give him support trying agree price in a private
way ... try to help him if someone has time and knowledge; is my
suggestion.

        LO has Merchandise, hansn't it ? What is their funtion if not sell
something ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 05/11/2015 10:24, Ken Springer wrote:
> Or by going elsewhere, using someone else's product.  :-)

All software has bugs.
The issue is whether one wants to use the software whose bugs one knows,
(which is why I use something that the developers specifically proclaim
is not suitable for use as an email client, despite being marketed as
such, to read my email(^1))  or software whose bugs one does not know.

^1: Two different software developers for this not-an-email-client have
assured me that even if the patch to convert it to an email client were
submitted, it would be rejected on principle,because the software is
emphatically not an email client.)

jonathon

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Just for the general information of the list, professional support is
available for LibreOffice:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/professional-support/
... As well as what this list and other channels are used for, community
support:  https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/

Best,

Charles.

Le 05.11.2015 16:36, jorge a écrit :

> Hi all:
>
> As I understand LO has an area of support buying it,... I'm not sure.
> Or someone here can give him support trying agree price in a private
> way ... try to help him if someone has time and knowledge; is my
> suggestion.
>
> LO has Merchandise, hansn't it ? What is their funtion if not sell
> something ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El jue, 05-11-2015 a las 11:49 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz escribió:
>> Hello Ken,

>> > Or by going elsewhere, using someone else's product.  :-)
>> >

>> Of course, especially given that LibreOffice is not a product but a
>> community. A product comes with warranties and things such as support
>> contract. It also comes with a price tag. That being said, nobody's
>> working for free; do you? Using someone else's products will require
>> them at some point to purchase something (a license, a support
>> contract,
>> etc.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Charles.
>>

> --
> Atentamente,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez

snowshed snowshed

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

On 11/5/15 3:49 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Hello Ken,
>
> Le 05.11.2015 11:24, Ken Springer a écrit :

>>> That is why individuals and organization purchase Tier 3 support
>>> contracts. It does matter if the software is FLOSS, or non-FLOSS, the
>>> only way to ensure that issues that the user considers to be serious
>>> flaws/bugs, is by either fixing the issue themselves, or paying
>>> somebody
>>> to fix the issue.
>>
>> Or by going elsewhere, using someone else's product.  :-)
>>

> Of course, especially given that LibreOffice is not a product but a
> community. A product comes with warranties and things such as support
> contract. It also comes with a price tag. That being said, nobody's
> working for free; do you? Using someone else's products will require
> them at some point to purchase something (a license, a support contract,
> etc.)

OK, folks...  We're going down the same path we did a couple years ago,
and I'm not disagreeing with any of it, which most seem to not understand.

There is a group, or at least was, in the LO community that wants/wanted
to push LO as a viable alternative to MS Office.  And you have a group
with the perspective of "we fix what we want to fix".

My point is, you can't have both positions and be truly successful.  If
you want to be a true viable alternative to MS Office, then you have to
fix bugs important to users, not just the bugs you want to fix.  That's
it, OK?  Which is what I said in my reply to Joel.

To paraphrase a line in a previous post of mine, I want a piece of
software that works, not software that needs work.  :-)  I'm not a
programmer, I don't have money to pay to have it fixed (one of the
reasons I try to use open source/free software), I'm not anyone's beta
tester.   <G>

Which is why I've just started trying FreeOffice from Softmaker.  Do I
know for a fact it will do what I need?  No, that's why I'm trying it
out.   <G>  If FreeOffice doesn't do it, there are others to try.   :-)

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: LEBRE VERSION STILL

Sure, the whole of my LO document is style based and the TOC links work
great inside the LO document. But not in the exported pdf document. So I
probably didn't understand something.

Philip

On 05/11/15 14:52, Gabriele Ponzo wrote:

> Maybe, but make sure using styles to have a result ;)
>
> ---
> Gabriele Ponzo

>> On 05/11/15 04:21, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>>> I use an external PDF writer for some documents where LO fails to
>>> convert vector formats correctly.
>>> That said, if I use the external converter I loose all my cross
>>> referencing and TOC links that LO does very well in my opinion.
>>> Steve
>>
>> I have used export to pdf in LO Writer and always had a good pdf copy
>> but the TOC links never work in the pdf version.  I've tried the
>> different options under the links tab in the export to pdf dialogue but
>> can't find any difference whatever the options selected.
>>
>> I'm using LO 4.2.8.2 as supplied by UbuntuStudio 1404.  For reading the
>> pdf's, I use Okular.
>>
>> Does the use/performance of TOC links in the pdf depend on the reader ?
>>
>> Philip

>> deleted

Next » 12