LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Next » 123
noibs noibs

LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

I just upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4.4.  There are no page margins visible for my Writer documents last saved in 3.4.4.  Am I missing something?  I've looked for a preference and can't find one.  I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3.

Thanks.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

2012/2/14 noibs <[hidden email]>:
> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4.4.  There are no page margins visible for my
> Writer documents last saved in 3.4.4.  Am I missing something?  I've looked
> for a preference and can't find one.  I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3.
>
> Thanks.

I think one of the new features in 3.5 is getting rid of the visible
”border” for the margins, if that's what you mean.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Ron Johnson Ron Johnson

On 02/14/2012 10:34 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2012/2/14 noibs<[hidden email]>:
>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4.4.  There are no page margins visible for my
>> Writer documents last saved in 3.4.4.  Am I missing something?  I've looked
>> for a preference and can't find one.  I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I think one of the new features in 3.5 is getting rid of the visible
> ”border” for the margins, if that's what you mean.

Are people who like seeing the margin border out of luck?

--
How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Fernand Vanrie Fernand Vanrie

On 14/02/2012 17:49, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 10:34 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2012/2/14 noibs<[hidden email]>:
>>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4.4.  There are no page margins
>>> visible for my
>>> Writer documents last saved in 3.4.4.  Am I missing something?  I've
>>> looked
>>> for a preference and can't find one.  I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I think one of the new features in 3.5 is getting rid of the visible
>> ”border” for the margins, if that's what you mean.
>>

> Are people who like seeing the margin border out of luck?
Yep, I you can solve this with adding a "background" on the default
template

noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

I can understand eliminating visible margins for people who desire that...but why not make it a preference setting?  Yes, I already thought of either using a colored background or a border around my writable area, but those things print.  That's what I'll probably do, but it's a kludge that should be necessary.

I'm a college professor who writes his own teaching materials.  Each course features roughly a 400-page Writer document that contains a variety of inline graphical objects created in Draw or Calc and then pasted in as a GDI Metafile.  Usually, I need to resize those images and having visible margins REALLY helps that process.

And I thought that Apple was the only entity who was making dumb user interface issues like that.  Actually, not just Apple.  I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 in a virtual machine on my Macs (for some specialized tasks)--I can't believe how bad the user-interface is.  I used to love the Ubuntu UI.
noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Meant to say "a kludge that should NOT be necessary."
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Hi noibs,

noibs schrieb:
>[..]
> I'm a college professor who writes his own teaching materials.  Each course
> features roughly a 400-page Writer document that contains a variety of
> inline graphical objects created in Draw or Calc and then pasted in as a GDI
> Metafile.  Usually, I need to resize those images and having visible margins
> REALLY helps that process.

Perhaps you only need a different workflow? Do you want to align the
graphic with the left egde of the text area? Rightclick the graphic (or
the surrounding frame in case of graphic with caption) and align left.
Or do you not use the mouse at all? Then you need only the position&size
dialog. You need not to see the page border, but LO will find it for you.

I first thought too, I would need that border. But then I find no
situation, where it is really needed. So please describe a goal, where
you need the border line.

Kind regards
Regina

yahoo-pier_andreit yahoo-pier_andreit

On 14/02/12 17:49, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 10:34 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2012/2/14 noibs<[hidden email]>:
>>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4.4. There are no page margins visible
>>> for my
>>> Writer documents last saved in 3.4.4. Am I missing something? I've
>>> looked
>>> for a preference and can't find one. I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I think one of the new features in 3.5 is getting rid of the visible
>> ”border” for the margins, if that's what you mean.

feature????? to eliminate a wanted behaviour is considered a feature??
then suppress the possibility to color the text, it will be another
fantastic brand new feature!!!!

> Are people who like seeing the margin border out of luck?

me, it's me I like to see the margin borders.......

noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

I have no illusions that I'm going to win this argument; however, I use the visible margins in two ways:

1. When deciding when to add a manual page break, I need to exactly how far until the end of the main page, excluding the space occupied by the footer.  Let's say I'm getting ready to begin a third-level heading.  Depending upon the visible space near the bottom of the page, I might decide to begin that section on the next page.  Right now, I can't accurately guage that space, especially since my footer has some blank space above the text.  If I'm beginning a Level 2 heading, I tend to start it on a new page unless there's about 2 inches at the bottom of a page.

2. When adding any kind of graphical object to a Writer document, I sometimes manually expand the size of the object (proportionately) to be as large as the width of the page.  I can keep enlarging the size until it's in the margins of the page--but I won't know that with LO 3.5 because I can't see the margins.  This is a huge issue for me, because I embed many graphical objects (usually GDI Metafile objects from spreadsheets) in Writer documents and I often want them to be as large as the printed width of the page.  If you stop allowing expansion of graphical objects past the margins, then this issue would be taken care of.

Just because certain individuals don't make use of certain user-interface features in both applications and operating systems doesn't mean view that issue in the same way.

Further, my question is still valid--why should a long-time user-interface feature be completely eliminated as compared to making it a preference setting?  I could make the argument that was made to me (justify why I use this)--I don't use about 70% of all preference settings in LibreOffice. Thus, let's eliminate these unless each person can justify why they use them.  How would that be?  I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but it's pretty insulting when you've been doing serious writing for about 30 years and then get a question like this.

Frankly, I view the elimination of visible margins as part of the dumbing down of user interfaces that I'm seeing in Mac OS Lion, Ubuntu 11.10, and now LO.  It's the "let's make it pretty to look at even if if compromises the usefulness" school of thought.  Clearly, LO Writer is not as pretty to look at with margin guides showing.  But, for me, it's more useful.  C'mon--this is a "View" menu option if there ever was one.

Tom Tom

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Hi :)
I agree that it would be great to have the option of choosing the "page view" as i think it's called in MS Office rather than being forced into whatever fad people happen to want to force you into.  Whaat?  MS more configurable than OpenSource?? lol

noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Here's the best workaround that I've discovered so far.  I have five really large (400+) page documents that I'm constantly revising and that are only printed once or twice a year.

First, I've set my default page style to include a very thin (0.02 pt wide) light gray border around the entire printed area of the page.  Set the distance from the border to the text in the page to zero.

Then, shaded the background of my headers and footers to have a very light gray background, so as to be able to distinguish the main page from the header and footer.

It will take less than a minute to get rid of these when printing.  For draft printing, it doesn't make any difference whether these added things print.

By the way, in Apple's Pages word processor, margins and header and footers can be shown or made invisible via the "Show Document Layout" under the View menu.  Hmmmn.  Wonder why they do that if it's such a useless thing?

noibs schrieb:
> I have no illusions that I'm going to win this argument; however, I use the
> visible margins in two ways:
>
> 1. When deciding when to add a manual page break, I need to exactly how far
> until the end of the main page, excluding the space occupied by the footer.
> Let's say I'm getting ready to begin a third-level heading.  Depending upon
> the visible space near the bottom of the page, I might decide to begin that
> section on the next page.

Let LO decide it. You format your third-level heading with the style
"Heading 3". It has the setting "Keep with next paragraph". So it will
never happen, that the heading is on one page and the following
paragraph on the next page. If you want that the paragraph has at least
e.g. 4 lines on the bottom of the page, than set the orphan control to
4, or more extreme use the setting "do not split paragraph". With such
settings the layout remains fine, if you insert or delete something
before this third-level heading.

   Right now, I can't accurately guage that space,
> especially since my footer has some blank space above the text.   If I'm
> beginning a Level 2 heading, I tend to start it on a new page unless there's
> about 2 inches at the bottom of a page.

You can see the exact space in the vertical ruler and you get a
delimiter line for the footer, when you hover the footer area with the
mouse. But as mentioned above, there is no need to insert manual page
breaks for that reason.

> 2. When adding any kind of graphical object to a Writer document, I
> sometimes manually expand the size of the object (proportionately) to be as
> large as the width of the page.   I can keep enlarging the size until it's in
> the margins of the page--but I won't know that with LO 3.5 because I can't
> see the margins.  This is a huge issue for me, because I embed many
> graphical objects (usually GDI Metafile objects from spreadsheets) in Writer
> documents and I often want them to be as large as the printed width of the
> page.  If you stop allowing expansion of graphical objects past the margins,
> then this issue would be taken care of.

You find all you need in Right click graphic > "Picture" > dialog page
"Type". Mark "Follow textflow", Mark "Keep ratio", set width to
"relative" and value to 100%.

> Just because certain individuals don't make use of certain user-interface
> features in both applications and operating systems doesn't mean view that
> issue in the same way.
>
> Further, my question is still valid--why should a long-time user-interface
> feature be completely eliminated as compared to making it a preference
> setting?  I could make the argument that was made to me (justify why I use
> this)--I don't use about 70% of all preference settings in LibreOffice.

My question was not intended to make you defend, but a simple question
what you do with this lines, because they are only visual and have no
function like snapping or so.

> Thus, let's eliminate these unless each person can justify why they use
> them.  How would that be?  I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but it's pretty
> insulting when you've been doing serious writing for about 30 years and then
> get a question like this.

30 years ago I used a typewriter with hard return at every line end ;)

> Frankly, I view the elimination of visible margins as part of the dumbing
> down of user interfaces that I'm seeing in Mac OS Lion, Ubuntu 11.10, and
> now LO.  It's the "let's make it pretty to look at even if if compromises
> the usefulness" school of thought.  Clearly, LO Writer is not as pretty to
> look at with margin guides showing.  But, for me, it's more useful.
> C'mon--this is a "View" menu option if there ever was one.

Perhaps you write a feature request to get such switch and/or write to
[hidden email] to discuss the feature with
the developers? Please, don't get me wrong. I'm not against a switch to
let the user decide, whether to show the border lines or not. But
discussing here will not make it appear.

Kind regards
Regina

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Regina,

Please explain why this change is better?  How does it make users more efficient?  I now have to hover to see the header/footer line.  How is that faster than it was before?  How many word processors that offer decent layout capabilities DON'T offer an option to actually see the page layout?  Really.  How many?

Paste a picture into a Writer document.  Be in the middle of the page where you can't see the upper and lower corner markers for the page.  Drag the picture left and right.  How can you tell when the picture is in the margin?  You can't  Do the same thing vertically.  How can you tell when the picture is in the header or footer.  You can't.  For some operations you need to see the actual page layout.

Fabian Rodriguez-2 Fabian Rodriguez-2

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Le 14/02/2012 21:59, noibs a écrit :

> Please explain why this change is better?  How does it make users more
> efficient?  I now have to hover to see the header/footer line.  How is that
> faster than it was before?  How many word processors that offer decent
> layout capabilities DON'T offer an option to actually see the page layout?
> Really.  How many?
>
> Paste a picture into a Writer document.  Be in the middle of the page where
> you can't see the upper and lower corner markers for the page.  Drag the
> picture left and right.  How can you tell when the picture is in the margin?
> You can't  Do the same thing vertically.  How can you tell when the picture
> is in the header or footer.  You can't.  For some operations you need to see
> the actual page layout.

I strongly agree with that.

Some time ago, when Cedric introduced that "enhancement" on the FR users
list, I did emphasize the drawbacks noibs and some others have explained
here. All what I received where names and the suggestion to go to the ux
list to discuss that.

I think the matter is not unimportant enough to be discussed in some
hidden list while most *users* are here.

Anyway, that functionality (the text limit suppress) is not complete
until some option is added somewhere to get it back if one so desires.
This alone stops me from using Writer v.3.5 on a regular basis.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

noibs noibs

Re: LO 3.5 - Can't see page margins in Writer

One more workaround that seems to have the least drawbacks for me is to apply a very light shade of gray or some color to the background of the page.  It will include the main page, header and footer.  Then, if you haven't already done it, set your printing preferences in Writer to not print backgrounds.  Create a template for new documents and you are all set.

I've been trying to envision working with multiple columns and multiple graphics images with text wrap--basic page payout.  Yes, without the margin guides you can get the job done, but I don't think it can be done as quickly and as effortlessly.

Like I said above, this seems to be the way of the world right now and I think most of it has been driven by Apple's change to the Mac OS Lion user interface to make it more like iOS (and dumber as a result).  Because of Apple's mandatory autosave and versions in iWork Pages, I've now returned 100% to LibreOffice because it was driving me crazy and couldn't be turned off.  I think the Ubuntu Unity interface was created for much the same reasons--prettier and dumber.

I'm the first to agree that LO Writer documents look way nicer without the layout guides.  Because of that, it may attract more novice users.  Why knows.  But a requirement and an option are two completely different things.  Given that the code for the layout guides already exists, I seriously question the wisdom of those who decided to make the change mandatory and not an option.  What they are essentially saying is that they know what's best for me.  Take it or leave it.  When I find a better option, I'll leave it.

I'm know I'm probably violating whatever the rules of this forum are in terms of editorializing, so this will be it.

Le 15/02/2012 00:25, noibs a écrit :
> One more workaround that seems to have the least drawbacks for me is to apply
> a very light shade of gray or some color to the background of the page.  It
> will include the main page, header and footer.  Then, if you haven't already
> done it, set your printing preferences in Writer to not print backgrounds.
> Create a template for new documents and you are all set.

Yes, but it is just that: a workaround to fix an interface defect.

BTW, I've started a new thread in the UX list
([hidden email]): "The "no border text"
feature in Writer 3.5 is not complete"
where I ask for the return of a previously existing option: display or
hide the text limits.

> What they are essentially saying is that they know what's
> best for me.  Take it or leave it.  When I find a better option, I'll leave
> it.

I understand your thoughts.

> I'm know I'm probably violating whatever the rules of this forum are in
> terms of editorializing, so this will be it.

Telling things is better that shutting up.

What bothers me the more on the users lists (FR is the same for that
matter) is the recurring motto Regina sang: "discussing here will not
make it appear."
To tell the truth, this is a shoking answer. Users may not wish to
register to some "strange" or hidden list for a one-shot message,
non-english speaking users might feel they are set aside. As the users
lists are frequently visited by members of TDF, it would seem important
these knowledgeable people report to the devs, if the devs themselves
don't lurk round here (which is a shame development-wise).