LO 3.6 Win7 (Impress) troubleshooting hints?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
NoOp NoOp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LO 3.6 Win7 (Impress) troubleshooting hints?


User has a clean install of LO 3.6.4.3 on Win7. Editing an Impress .ppt
file, LO crashes randomly on file saves. The netbook has 2GB of RAM &
I've reduced the 'undo' to 25 vs 100, and that seems to stablized it a
little. But LO is still crashing (closes & needs to be restarted -
document recovery works). I cannot get the file to crash in linux & no,
I can't share the file - sorry.

I'm very familiar with how to set up LO in linux for troubleshooting
traces, et al, but have no idea on how to do the same in the Windows
version. Is there any troubleshooting guide for Win installs?

Note: I've looked through bugzilla:
<https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=LibreOffice&content=impress+crash>
and
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-FAQ> etc.
But can't find a straightforward set of instructions on how to do a
backtrace etc., on Windows.


--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Tom Tom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 3.6 Win7 (Impress) troubleshooting hints?

Hi :)
Probably  increasing other settings in the "Memory" page
Tools - Options - Memory
as well as what you have already done on that page to reduce the number of undo steps. 

Also the Odp format is likely to be a lot more stable as an 'original' format for the file and then just "Save as" to ppt when you need to share it or use it on another machine.  It sounds to me like the Ppt file has some sort of corruption in it.  Does it have heavy pictures or movies in it? 

This wiki might help get a back-trace in Windows
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_get_a_backtrace_with_WinDbg
I got that link from the generic wiki-page

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport#How_to_get_a_backtrace_.28on_Windows.29
where the other link is to this HowTo video (might be loud) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppBTs215yc
Regards from
Tom :) 





>________________________________
> From: NoOp <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Sent: Sunday, 6 January 2013, 4:48
>Subject: [libreoffice-users] LO 3.6 Win7 (Impress) troubleshooting hints?
>
>
>User has a clean install of LO 3.6.4.3 on Win7. Editing an Impress .ppt
>file, LO crashes randomly on file saves. The netbook has 2GB of RAM &
>I've reduced the 'undo' to 25 vs 100, and that seems to stablized it a
>little. But LO is still crashing (closes & needs to be restarted -
>document recovery works). I cannot get the file to crash in linux & no,
>I can't share the file - sorry.
>
>I'm very familiar with how to set up LO in linux for troubleshooting
>traces, et al, but have no idea on how to do the same in the Windows
>version. Is there any troubleshooting guide for Win installs?
>
>Note: I've looked through bugzilla:
><https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=LibreOffice&content=impress+crash>
>and
><https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-FAQ> etc.
>But can't find a straightforward set of instructions on how to do a
>backtrace etc., on Windows.
>
>
>--
>For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
>Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
>All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
>
>
>
--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

NoOp NoOp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 3.6 Win7 (Impress) troubleshooting hints?

On 01/06/2013 02:50 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :) Probably increasing other settings in the "Memory" page Tools -
> Options - Memory as well as what you have already done on that page
> to reduce the
number of undo steps.
>
> Also the Odp format is likely to be a lot more stable as an
> 'original'
> format for the file and then just "Save as" to ppt when you need to
> share it or use it on another machine.

The file was changed to .odp serveral days ago & LO is still crashing on
saves.

> It sounds to me like the Ppt file
> has some sort of corruption in it. Does it have heavy pictures or movies
> in it?

No. No corruption. It's a standard presentation file, with no
audio/video - only a few embeded jpegs. Created a new .odp & replicated
the slides - that one occasionally crashes on save as well.

>
> This wiki might help get a back-trace in Windows
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_get_a_backtrace_with_WinDbg
>
>
I got that link from the generic wiki-page
>
>
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport#How_to_get_a_backtrace_.28on_Windows.29
> where the other link is to this HowTo video (might be loud)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppBTs215yc Regards from
> Tom :)  

Thanks for those, I may experiment with them later. It's still crashing
so I've switched the user to AOO 3.4.1 for awhile to see if it occurs
with that as well. I may back down to LO 3.5.7 & test as well.


>>________________________________
>> From: NoOp...
>>
>>User has a clean install of LO 3.6.4.3 on Win7. Editing an Impress .ppt
>>file, LO crashes randomly on file saves. The netbook has 2GB of RAM &
>>I've reduced the 'undo' to 25 vs 100, and that seems to stablized it a
>>little. But LO is still crashing (closes & needs to be restarted -
>>document recovery works). I cannot get the file to crash in linux & no,
>>I can't share the file - sorry.
>>
>>I'm very familiar with how to set up LO in linux for troubleshooting
>>traces, et al, but have no idea on how to do the same in the Windows
>>version. Is there any troubleshooting guide for Win installs?
>>
>>Note: I've looked through bugzilla:
>><https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=LibreOffice&content=impress+crash>
>>and
>><https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-FAQ> etc.
>>But can't find a straightforward set of instructions on how to do a
>>backtrace etc., on Windows.
...


--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted