LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Hi,

Installation archive for DEB based Linux distributions: until now the
package libreofficeX.Y-debian-menus was provided in a subfolder of
folder DEBS named desktop-integration.

In the case of LO 4.1.0.z this package is in the DEBS folder. Is it what
was expected or is it a bug in the packaging of the RCs?

Best regards.
JBF
--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Le 18/07/2013 07:35, Jean-Baptiste Faure a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Installation archive for DEB based Linux distributions: until now the
> package libreofficeX.Y-debian-menus was provided in a subfolder of
> folder DEBS named desktop-integration.
>
> In the case of LO 4.1.0.z this package is in the DEBS folder. Is it what
> was expected or is it a bug in the packaging of the RCs?

I looked at the readme file and, for DEB based distributions, it
describes the installation according to a desktop-integration subfolder.

So, what is wrong, packaging or readme file ?

Best regards.
JBF

--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Petr Mladek Petr Mladek
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Jean-Baptiste Faure píše v Čt 18. 07. 2013 v 10:20 +0200:

> Le 18/07/2013 07:35, Jean-Baptiste Faure a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Installation archive for DEB based Linux distributions: until now the
> > package libreofficeX.Y-debian-menus was provided in a subfolder of
> > folder DEBS named desktop-integration.
> >
> > In the case of LO 4.1.0.z this package is in the DEBS folder. Is it what
> > was expected or is it a bug in the packaging of the RCs?
>
> I looked at the readme file and, for DEB based distributions, it
> describes the installation according to a desktop-integration subfolder.
>
> So, what is wrong, packaging or readme file ?

I think that the change was done during gbuildisation but I liked it.

IMHO, the subdirectory was there from historical reasons and was needed
primary for RPMs. We had distro-specific packages in the past for SUSE,
Red Hat, and Mandrive. These packages conflicted. It was helpful to have
them in a subdirecotry. Then you could install the other packages by rpm
-Uvh *.rpm and install the selected desktop integration later.

All distros has supported the freedesktop standard since many years, so
we removed the distro specific packages and left only the universal
freedesktop one.

All normal users should want the desktop integration, so it should be
together with the other packages. Note that it should not conflict with
other LO version or distro specific packages because all the files and
menu entries have been versioned since LO 3.4.


Ah, after talking on irc. There is a problem on Debian. The desktop-menu
package has the following dependencies:

Provides: libreoffice-desktop-integration, libreoffice-unbundled
Conflicts: libreoffice-desktop-integration, libreoffice-debian-menus,
libreoffice-bundled
Replaces: libreoffice-desktop-integration, libreoffice-debian-menus

They are from times where the files were not versioned, so they
conflicted with the native Debian packages.

The result is that it conflict with native Debian packages and also with
older LO versions that have the same provides and conflicts.

I am going to remove them and mention this problem at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.1#Most_Annoying_Bugs
We should also mention it at
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/


Best Regards,
Petr


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Le 18/07/2013 11:12, Petr Mladek a écrit :
[...]
> The result is that it conflict with native Debian packages and also with
> older LO versions that have the same provides and conflicts.

Yes and if you launch the update-manager of your distribution and do the
proposed updates, you will get a mixture of 2 versions. I did not try
because I am not sure to be able to restore correctly my system.

Best regards.
JBF

--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Hi Petr, all,

Le 18/07/2013 17:24, Jean-Baptiste Faure a écrit :
> Le 18/07/2013 11:12, Petr Mladek a écrit :
> [...]
>> The result is that it conflict with native Debian packages and also with
>> older LO versions that have the same provides and conflicts.
>
> Yes and if you launch the update-manager of your distribution and do the
> proposed updates, you will get a mixture of 2 versions. I did not try
> because I am not sure to be able to restore correctly my system.
>

I agree that both bugs fdo#67031 and fdo#67041 are fixed in the master.
What I meant in [1] is that the problem, in LO 4.1.0.3, is more serious
for Ubuntu (at least) users than it firstly appeared because it will
make LO unusable as soon as the user will have updated her system.

I am pretty sure that the update-manager will not replace all LO 4.1.0.3
by the prefered Ubuntu or Debian LO version, but will make a mixture of
both versions. On my systems (Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 13.04, both
x86-64) the update-manager proposes to update 20 packages related to
Writer plus a security update for "Servlet 3.0 and JSP 2.2 API classes".

I do not know how to update my system using only command-line in order
to provide the list of packages that the update-manager want to update.
But some of these packages do not have the word libreoffice in their name.


[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67031#c3


Best regards.
JBF

--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 08:38:49PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Le 18/07/2013 17:24, Jean-Baptiste Faure a écrit :
> > Le 18/07/2013 11:12, Petr Mladek a écrit :
>> [...]
>>> The result is that it conflict with native Debian packages and also with
>>> older LO versions that have the same provides and conflicts.

>> Yes and if you launch the update-manager of your distribution and do the
>> proposed updates, you will get a mixture of 2 versions. I did not try
>> because I am not sure to be able to restore correctly my system.

> What I meant in [1] is that the problem, in LO 4.1.0.3, is more serious
> for Ubuntu (at least) users than it firstly appeared because it will
> make LO unusable as soon as the user will have updated her system.

> I am pretty sure that the update-manager will not replace all LO 4.1.0.3
> by the prefered Ubuntu or Debian LO version, but will make a mixture of
> both versions.

> I do not know how to update my system using only command-line in order
> to provide the list of packages that the update-manager want to update.
> But some of these packages do not have the word libreoffice in their
> name.

All packages in the TDF bundles (downloaded from www.libreoffice.org)
have "libreoffice4.1" or "libobasis4.1" in their name. AFAIK Ubuntu
does not contain any package with the name (because the TDF packages
contain the version in their name, but the Ubuntu packages don't). So
I fail to see how it wants to "update" a package from the TDF bundle.

If the update-manager wants to update a package with neither
"libreoffice4.1" nor "libobasis4.1" it its name, then it is a regular
Ubuntu package it is updating... Nothing from TDF.

--
Lionel
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Le 19/07/2013 03:29, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :
> [...]
> All packages in the TDF bundles (downloaded from www.libreoffice.org)
> have "libreoffice4.1" or "libobasis4.1" in their name. AFAIK Ubuntu
> does not contain any package with the name (because the TDF packages
> contain the version in their name, but the Ubuntu packages don't). So
> I fail to see how it wants to "update" a package from the TDF bundle.

It seems that the package name is not enough. If I understand well, it
is the bug fdo#67041

From my point of view, this bug make the installation of LO 4.1.0.3
impossible on deb-based Linux OS like Ubuntu. You need to not install
integration system package and launch LO using the command line. A
normal user of LO does not want do that, even on Linux.

Best regards
JBF

--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:23:27AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Le 19/07/2013 03:29, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :

>> All packages in the TDF bundles (downloaded from www.libreoffice.org)
>> have "libreoffice4.1" or "libobasis4.1" in their name. AFAIK Ubuntu
>> does not contain any package with the name (because the TDF packages
>> contain the version in their name, but the Ubuntu packages don't). So
>> I fail to see how it wants to "update" a package from the TDF bundle.

> It seems that the package name is not enough. If I understand well, it
> is the bug fdo#67041

Aha, precisely. fdo#67041 is that one of the packages is called
"libreoffice" instead of "libreoffice4.1-debian-menus". And Ubuntu has
a "libreoffice" package, with a higher version number (because of the
epoch, that is the "1:" in front), so that package gets
"upgraded". Since the Ubuntu package is a metapackage for ~all of
LibreOffice, the whole Ubuntu-packaged LibreOffice gets installed :)

The TDF one disappears from the menus, but should otherwise be
unharmed.

That's pretty annoying, yeah. It can be worked around by putting the
misnamed "libreoffice" on hold in the package manager.

However, there is worse coming. Someone that has installed this buggy
4.1.0.3 will not get a complete fix when upgrading to LO 4.1.1 :-(
unless he/she uninstalls the misnamed "libreoffice" package.
Actually, the new (now correctly named) libreoffice4.1-debian-menus
package will fail to install because of file conflict with the
still-installed misnamed libreoffice.

We should add something like:

 Replaces: libreoffice (= 4.1.0-)

to the new libreoffice4.1-debian-menus package. Hmm... I should test
that... Petr, how do I actually build those .debs? "make sysui"? Nope,
that does not work and "make help" is not helpful. My config_host.mk
has "export PKGFORMAT=native" and I'm on Debian, so it should do
something. And "make CustomTarget_deb" answers:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `CustomTarget_deb'.  Stop.

--
Lionel
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Petr Mladek Petr Mladek
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Lionel Elie Mamane píše v Pá 19. 07. 2013 v 08:42 +0200:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:23:27AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> > Le 19/07/2013 03:29, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :
>
> >> All packages in the TDF bundles (downloaded from www.libreoffice.org)
> >> have "libreoffice4.1" or "libobasis4.1" in their name. AFAIK Ubuntu
> >> does not contain any package with the name (because the TDF packages
> >> contain the version in their name, but the Ubuntu packages don't). So
> >> I fail to see how it wants to "update" a package from the TDF bundle.
>
> > It seems that the package name is not enough. If I understand well, it
> > is the bug fdo#67041
>
> Aha, precisely. fdo#67041 is that one of the packages is called
> "libreoffice" instead of "libreoffice4.1-debian-menus". And Ubuntu has
> a "libreoffice" package, with a higher version number (because of the
> epoch, that is the "1:" in front), so that package gets
> "upgraded". Since the Ubuntu package is a metapackage for ~all of
> LibreOffice, the whole Ubuntu-packaged LibreOffice gets installed :)
>
> The TDF one disappears from the menus, but should otherwise be
> unharmed.
>
> That's pretty annoying, yeah. It can be worked around by putting the
> misnamed "libreoffice" on hold in the package manager.
>
> However, there is worse coming. Someone that has installed this buggy
> 4.1.0.3 will not get a complete fix when upgrading to LO 4.1.1 :-(
> unless he/she uninstalls the misnamed "libreoffice" package.
> Actually, the new (now correctly named) libreoffice4.1-debian-menus
> package will fail to install because of file conflict with the
> still-installed misnamed libreoffice.
>
> We should add something like:
>
>  Replaces: libreoffice (= 4.1.0-)

We need to make sure that we do not break the native Ubuntu/Debian
packages. In fact, I do not understand why normal users install the
upstream Debian packages at all when they have the native packages with
even more features (e.g. KDE4) available.

We could also solve this by a notice in the release notes. It would not
be the first time when we asked users to remove the older version before
removing the new one.


> to the new libreoffice4.1-debian-menus package. Hmm... I should test
> that... Petr, how do I actually build those .debs?

You need to modify sysui/desktop/debian/control, see also
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=9642c6e66dd04ff3d91499cc1184c80a5d6d1707

Then you need to do "make sysui" and check the packages in
workdir/unxlngx6.pro/CustomTarget/sysui/deb.

Well, I am not sure if the dependencies are perfect. You might want to
do "make sysui.clean" before.

Anyway, the debs/rpms are not built by default. You need to enable it by
the configure options:

          --enable-epm
          --with-package-format=deb


Best Regards,
Petr

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:42:29AM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane píše v Pá 19. 07. 2013 v 08:42 +0200:

>> However, there is worse coming. Someone that has installed this buggy
>> 4.1.0.3 will not get a complete fix when upgrading to LO 4.1.1 :-(
>> unless he/she uninstalls the misnamed "libreoffice" package.
>> Actually, the new (now correctly named) libreoffice4.1-debian-menus
>> package will fail to install because of file conflict with the
>> still-installed misnamed libreoffice.

>> We should add something like:

>>  Replaces: libreoffice (= 4.1.0-)

> We need to make sure that we do not break the native Ubuntu/Debian
> packages.

The very precise version limitation should ensure that, since Debian &
derivatives will not have a package with version "4.1.0-"; they might
have "4.1.0-1", though, but that's a different version. Rene? Am I
correct on this? Strictly versioned Replaces do actually work as
expected in practice with the versions of dpkg in circulation?

> We could also solve this by a notice in the release notes. It would
> not be the first time when we asked users to remove the older
> version before removing the new one.

Hmm.

>> to the new libreoffice4.1-debian-menus package. Hmm... I should test
>> that... Petr, how do I actually build those .debs?

> Anyway, the debs/rpms are not built by default. You need to enable it by
> the configure options:

>           --enable-epm
>           --with-package-format=deb

Ah, that's what I was missing... Thanks.

--
Lionel
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

In reply to this post by Petr Mladek
Le 19/07/2013 09:42, Petr Mladek a écrit :
[...]
>
> We need to make sure that we do not break the native Ubuntu/Debian
> packages. In fact, I do not understand why normal users install the
> upstream Debian packages at all when they have the native packages with
> even more features (e.g. KDE4) available.

Ah, that is a long story ;-)
In the old time of OOo /GoOO the OOo version provided by Ubuntu was not
as good as the generic Linux/deb version.

On Ubuntu forums, you can still see problems in distro versions that are
solved by replacing it by the generic Linux version provided by TDF. I
agree that it is not the best solution, something like removing the user
profile when some day LO starts to have some weird behavior. ;-)

Another reason to install TDF version on Linux OS is that you may want
have the newest version, for example for tests purpose.

>
> We could also solve this by a notice in the release notes. It would not
> be the first time when we asked users to remove the older version before
> removing the new one.

Yes, but in the present case, it is not enough to kill the installation
problems.

Best regards.
JBF

--
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

In reply to this post by Lionel Elie Mamane
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:54:32AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> >> We should add something like:
>
> >>  Replaces: libreoffice (= 4.1.0-)
>
> > We need to make sure that we do not break the native Ubuntu/Debian
> > packages.
>
> The very precise version limitation should ensure that, since Debian &
> derivatives will not have a package with version "4.1.0-"; they might
> have "4.1.0-1", though, but that's a different version. Rene? Am I

Yep.

> correct on this? Strictly versioned Replaces do actually work as
> expected in practice with the versions of dpkg in circulation?

I am not sure (tjhe only real scenario I've used is <= or <<) ,
but I'd expect yes.

Regards,

Rene
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

In reply to this post by Petr Mladek
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:42:29AM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:

> In fact, I do not understand why normal users install the upstream
> Debian packages at all when they have the native packages with even
> more features (e.g. KDE4) available.

Debian/Ubuntu packages of LibreOffice used to have at least one
missing feature: connecting to icedove / thunderbird / ... address
books.

--
Lionel
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice