LO Base: Boolean Report values

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

LO Base: Boolean Report values

I wonder if anyone knows how to solve this little problem?

I am trying to construct a report from a Table/Query in Base. Amongst
other data there are five boolean flags (Type Yes/No[BIT] to be printed
from each record.

Thinking that it would take up too much space on the paper together
with the labels, in my naivity, I thought it would be easy, to print a
single character (e.g. "y", "n", or even better U+2611, U+2610) for the
values each time, rather than the clumsy defaults TRUE or FALSE.

After several hours(!!) of experimentation with 'IF' expressions and
field definitions in various places (Report fields, Query fields), I
have come to the end of my creativity.

I cannot believe that this simple idea has no simple solution...but
what is it?

Kind Regards
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LO Base: Boolean Report values

Hi Harvey,

try this:
Write into Data > Data field

IF([NameOfBoolField];"y";"n")

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

On Thu, 2019-12-12 at 19:46 +0100, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
>
> try this:
> Write into Data > Data field
>
> IF([NameOfBoolField];"y";"n")
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Hi Robert,

I was just about to answer that I had tried that and it did not work,
until I noticed your square brackets []. That did the trick!! You are
wonderful.

But where is that documented?

Regards
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LO Base: Boolean Report values

Hi Harvey

> I was just about to answer that I had tried that and it did not work,
> until I noticed your square brackets []. That did the trick!! You are
> wonderful.
>
> But where is that documented?

Don't know wher I found it, when I created the Base-Handbook. But have a
lokk for the English version of the Base-Handbook. I have written there
a chapter for the Report-Builder. I copied the code from there.

If you will try it in German have a look at my homepage.

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

On Thu, 2019-12-12 at 20:28 +0100, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey
> >
> > I was just about to answer that I had tried that and it did not
> > work,
> > until I noticed your square brackets []. That did the trick!! You
> > are
> > wonderful.
> >
> > But where is that documented?
>
> Don't know wher I found it, when I created the Base-Handbook. But
> have a
> lokk for the English version of the Base-Handbook. I have written
> there
> a chapter for the Report-Builder. I copied the code from there.
>
> If you will try it in German have a look at my homepage.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

I've found it. V6.2. Many thanks again!

Peter Goggin Peter Goggin

Libre base report writer

Years ago when I first used Libre Base it had a built in reporting
software. Yhe later versions do not include this. Is this software still
available and if so how do I get it and install it?

Regards

Peter Goggin

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Libre base report writer

On 12/12/19 8:31 PM, Peter wrote:
> Years ago when I first used Libre Base it had a built in reporting
> software. Yhe later versions do not include this. Is this software
> still available and if so how do I get it and install it?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Goggin

When a base file is opened, the main window contains a vertical list on
the left side containing four items: Table, Query, Form, and Report. The
last one is the reporting software. Is this what you also see?

Dan

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Libre base report writer

Hi Peter,

> Years ago when I first used Libre Base it had a built in reporting
> software. Yhe later versions do not include this. Is this software still
> available and if so how do I get it and install it?

The old report software is included in LO. You could run all reports,
whcih have been created with this software. But you couldn't create new
reports because the ReportBuilder is included into LO.

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Peter Goggin Peter Goggin

Re: Libre base report writer

Yes. But if I select report libre base errors out and stops working. I
have several reports which are in the menu system. They no longer work
and if I select them libre base stops working. My version of Libre
Office was installed from the ububtu repository.

Regards

Peter

On 13/12/19 11:48 pm, Dan Lewis wrote:

> On 12/12/19 8:31 PM, Peter wrote:
>> Years ago when I first used Libre Base it had a built in reporting
>> software. Yhe later versions do not include this. Is this software
>> still available and if so how do I get it and install it?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter Goggin
>>
> When a base file is opened, the main window contains a vertical list
> on the left side containing four items: Table, Query, Form, and
> Report. The last one is the reporting software. Is this what you also
> see?
>
> Dan

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Libre base report writer

Ubuntu does NOT contain the Base module in their version of LIbreOffice;
you have to download and install it. That file is libreoffice-base. Make
sure that when you download this that libreoffice-base-core is also
downloaded and installed. If you use Synaptic, doing this should not be
very hard at all. "sudo apt install libreoffice-base" will also
accomplish. After this is done, you should have no problems with running
your reports.

Dan

On 12/13/19 10:24 AM, Peter wrote:

> Yes. But if I select report libre base errors out and stops working. I
> have several reports which are in the menu system. They no longer work
> and if I select them libre base stops working. My version of Libre
> Office was installed from the ububtu repository.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
> On 13/12/19 11:48 pm, Dan Lewis wrote:
>>
>> On 12/12/19 8:31 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> Years ago when I first used Libre Base it had a built in reporting
>>> software. Yhe later versions do not include this. Is this software
>>> still available and if so how do I get it and install it?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Peter Goggin
>>>
>> When a base file is opened, the main window contains a vertical list
>> on the left side containing four items: Table, Query, Form, and
>> Report. The last one is the reporting software. Is this what you also
>> see?
>>
>> Dan

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Libre base report writer

Le 13/12/2019 à 16:24, Peter a écrit :

Hi Peter,

> Yes. But if I select report libre base errors out and stops working. I
> have several reports which are in the menu system. They no longer work
> and if I select them libre base stops working. My version of Libre
> Office was installed from the ububtu repository.

As Dan has pointed out, Ubuntu doesn't install all of the required
packages by default.

You should be looking to also install the :

report-builder

and

report-builder-bin

packages.