LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results

   I thought that I used to be able to enter =sum(d1:f1) in a cell and see
the numeric results of the summation. Now, however, all I see is the
function in that cell. Happens, too, with clicking the Sigma icon. Running
LO on Slackware.

   What might I be doing incorrectly?

Rich

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Steven Shelton wrote:

> Sounds like you might have the cell formatted for text.

Steven,

   I checked a couple of times that it was Number and the preferred format
within that group.

Rich

Tom D Tom D

Re: LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results

Works fine on
Windows 7
LibreOffice 3.4.5

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 08:41 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I thought that I used to be able to enter =sum(d1:f1) in a cell and see
> the numeric results of the summation. Now, however, all I see is the
> function in that cell. Happens, too, with clicking the Sigma icon. Running
> LO on Slackware.
>
>    What might I be doing incorrectly?
>
> Rich

     Wondering:  Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > General. In the
Input settings, do you have a check in front of "Press Enter to switch
to Edit mode"? If this is checked, it might explain the problem.

--Dan

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

2012/2/22 Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>:
>  I thought that I used to be able to enter =sum(d1:f1) in a cell and see
> the numeric results of the summation. Now, however, all I see is the
> function in that cell. Happens, too, with clicking the Sigma icon. Running
> LO on Slackware.
>
>  What might I be doing incorrectly?
>
> Rich

Tools → Options → LibreOffice Calc → View → Untick ”Show formulas”.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

2012/2/22 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/2/22 Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>:
>>  I thought that I used to be able to enter =sum(d1:f1) in a cell and see
>> the numeric results of the summation. Now, however, all I see is the
>> function in that cell. Happens, too, with clicking the Sigma icon. Running
>> LO on Slackware.
>>
>>  What might I be doing incorrectly?
>>
>> Rich
>
> Tools → Options → LibreOffice Calc → View → Untick ”Show formulas”.

Okay, maybe not. Just did some tests and I can't see a difference when
I tick or untick it.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results

Make sure there is no space before the = in the formula.

Tink.
Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Dan Lewis wrote:

>     Wondering:  Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > General. In the Input
> settings, do you have a check in front of "Press Enter to switch to Edit
> mode"? If this is checked, it might explain the problem.

Dan,

   No, that's not checked.

   I know it used to work in prior versions so why it's not working in the
most recent and next-most recent versions puzzles me.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

Re: LO Calc (3.4.5 and 3.5.0): Displaying sum() Results [FIXED]

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Tools → Options → LibreOffice Calc → View → Untick ”Show formulas”.

Johnny,

   That did it.

Thanks,

Rich