LO Calc-keep cell from imitating prior cell

Eric Beversluis Eric Beversluis

LO Calc-keep cell from imitating prior cell

Calc tends to copy what it thinks is the same entry from a prior cell in a column. My problem is how to keep it from doing that.

Somewhere in a column I have ‘crème’. Now LO won’t let me enter ‘creme’ without the accent grave. How do I tell Calc to ignore the earlier value? I’ve tried a couple of times to delete the è, but each time it reappears.

Eric Beversluis
Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com

Mike. Mike.

Re: LO Calc-keep cell from imitating prior cell

On 1/29/2018 4:24 PM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Calc tends to copy what it thinks is the same entry from a prior cell in a column. My problem is how to keep it from doing that.
>
> Somewhere in a column I have ‘crème’. Now LO won’t let me enter ‘creme’ without the accent grave. How do I tell Calc to ignore the earlier value? I’ve tried a couple of times to delete the è, but each time it reappears.

  Tools > AutoInput

click on it to uncheck it.

Mike. Mike.

On 1/29/2018 5:04 PM, Mike wrote:

> On 1/29/2018 4:24 PM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>> Calc tends to copy what it thinks is the same entry from a prior cell in a column. My problem is how to keep it from doing that.
>>
>> Somewhere in a column I have ‘crème’. Now LO won’t let me enter ‘creme’ without the accent grave. How do I tell Calc to ignore the earlier value? I’ve tried a couple of times to delete the è, but each time it reappears.
>
>   Tools > AutoInput
>
> click on it to uncheck it.

For completeness...  in an off-list conversation, this turned out to be
AutoCorrect, not AutoInput.

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Calc tends to copy what it thinks is the same entry from a prior cell in a column. My problem is how to keep it from doing that.
>
> Somewhere in a column I have ‘crème’. Now LO won’t let me enter ‘creme’ without the accent grave. How do I tell Calc to ignore the earlier value? I’ve tried a couple of times to delete the è, but each time it reappears.

If you just want to do this as a one-off, without changing AutoCorrect
settings:
1. Type 'creme', but DO NOT leave the cell yet
2. Select all text in the cell (e.g. Ctrl+A, Edit Select All, click and
drag, etc.)
3. Now leave the cell (e.g. Enter, Tab, click on another cell, etc.)

I'm not really sure whether this behaviour is accidental or an
intentional feature, but it's handy when you occasionally want to avoid
AutoCorrect making a change but don't want to completely disable it.

--
Mark.