LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

I've just migrated the desktop from 14.04 to 16.04 and so my working
LibreOffice environment has changed overnight from 4.2.8.2  to 5.1.4.2

First impressions are very positive and I've imported all my templates
into Writer and things seem to work fine.

Where I do have a problem is with a couple of extensions for Writer.
When I reloaded my extensions I found several of them were flagged up by
the LO website as 'not having been updated for over a year and maybe no
longer supported'. That was disappointing but I loaded the French
dictionaries anyway and they seem to be ok.

The 2 extensions that cause me a problem are :

Writer2xhtml - which I found very useful for exporting into ePUB format.
It has lots of adjustments that you can make. Not updated beyond LO 4
series.

Language tool - also not updated beyond LO 4 series. I am not so
bothered by this one.

I installed both these two anyway to see what would happen.  Neither can
be 'enabled' in the Extension Manager Tool and the error I get with both
of them is the same :

      "Could not create Java implementation loader"

This makes me wonder if the problem is within my new UbuntuStudio 16.04
support for Java rather than a problem with the extensions not having
been updated ?

Does anyone out there on this list have any ideas that could help ?

Thank you.

Philip

TomD TomD

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

Hi :)
Can you check to see if Java is enabled within LibreOffice?  Something
like;

Tools - Options - Java or Advanced or something

There 'should be' a line telling you what  your machine and  that line
should be ticked or bullet-pointed, or something.

On 13 August 2016 at 19:13, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've just migrated the desktop from 14.04 to 16.04 and so my working
> LibreOffice environment has changed overnight from 4.2.8.2  to 5.1.4.2
>
> First impressions are very positive and I've imported all my templates
> into Writer and things seem to work fine.
>
> Where I do have a problem is with a couple of extensions for Writer.
> When I reloaded my extensions I found several of them were flagged up by
> the LO website as 'not having been updated for over a year and maybe no
> longer supported'. That was disappointing but I loaded the French
> dictionaries anyway and they seem to be ok.
>
> The 2 extensions that cause me a problem are :
>
> Writer2xhtml - which I found very useful for exporting into ePUB format.
> It has lots of adjustments that you can make. Not updated beyond LO 4
> series.
>
> Language tool - also not updated beyond LO 4 series. I am not so
> bothered by this one.
>
> I installed both these two anyway to see what would happen.  Neither can
> be 'enabled' in the Extension Manager Tool and the error I get with both
> of them is the same :
>
>       "Could not create Java implementation loader"
>
> This makes me wonder if the problem is within my new UbuntuStudio 16.04
> support for Java rather than a problem with the extensions not having
> been updated ?
>
> Does anyone out there on this list have any ideas that could help ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Philip

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

Hi Tom :

Thanks for the hint. You're certainly onto something. When I checked
Tools > Options > LibreOffice Advanced, I found that there was no jre
listed.

It seems that UbuntuStudio 16.04 doesn't load a jre by default.  I
loaded the default-jre package and now LO Options indicates that it has
located  java-8-openjdk.

(This alone remedied my Sigil installation which couldn't display html
code - not a concern of this list, I know, but it does show that a jre
was not even indicated as a dependency of Sigil)

1. Now when I try to enable the Write2xhtml extension, it still doesn't
get enabled but the error message has changed - it is now :

  "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException"

I don't how to remedy this. Maybe someone else has a clue ?

2. Unfortunately, trying to enable LanguageTool looks more seriously
flawed :

"[jni_uno bridge error] UNO calling Java method writeRegistryInfo:
non-UNO exception occurred: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/sun/star/task/XJobExecutor"

followed by a stack trace of a full page listing.

So the remaining problems are somehow java related.

Regards,
Philip

On 14/08/16 00:36, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Can you check to see if Java is enabled within LibreOffice?  Something
> like;
>
> Tools - Options - Java or Advanced or something
>
> There 'should be' a line telling you what  your machine and  that line
> should be ticked or bullet-pointed, or something.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
> On 13 August 2016 at 19:13, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've just migrated the desktop from 14.04 to 16.04 and so my working
>> LibreOffice environment has changed overnight from 4.2.8.2  to 5.1.4.2
>>
>> First impressions are very positive and I've imported all my templates
>> into Writer and things seem to work fine.
>>
>> Where I do have a problem is with a couple of extensions for Writer.
>> When I reloaded my extensions I found several of them were flagged up by
>> the LO website as 'not having been updated for over a year and maybe no
>> longer supported'. That was disappointing but I loaded the French
>> dictionaries anyway and they seem to be ok.
>>
>> The 2 extensions that cause me a problem are :
>>
>> Writer2xhtml - which I found very useful for exporting into ePUB format.
>> It has lots of adjustments that you can make. Not updated beyond LO 4
>> series.
>>
>> Language tool - also not updated beyond LO 4 series. I am not so
>> bothered by this one.
>>
>> I installed both these two anyway to see what would happen.  Neither can
>> be 'enabled' in the Extension Manager Tool and the error I get with both
>> of them is the same :
>>
>>       "Could not create Java implementation loader"
>>
>> This makes me wonder if the problem is within my new UbuntuStudio 16.04
>> support for Java rather than a problem with the extensions not having
>> been updated ?
>>
>> Does anyone out there on this list have any ideas that could help ?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Philip

>> deleted

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

Hi :

Further to my last note, I found an interesting note in the faq on:

http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/index16.html

that identified the problem and solutions.

These 2 LO extensions causing me problems both required two packages
that were missing on the clean install of UbuntuStudio 16.04.1 :

default-jre
libreoffice-java-common

Having installed these 2, both extensions can be enabled and appear to
work although time will tell as to how well they work on Writer 5.1.4.2.

It is a bit of a puzzle as to why the 16.04 install did not include any
java stuff. I wonder if it fell out because of the fixation about 'free'
software ?  I suppose one could claim that LO can work perfectly well
without any extensions which require java.

Thanks for your idea, Tom, which started me in the right direction.

Regards,
Philip

On 14/08/16 13:24, Philip Jackson wrote:

> [...]
>>> dictionaries anyway and they seem to be ok.
>>>
>>> The 2 extensions that cause me a problem are :
>>>
>>> Writer2xhtml - which I found very useful for exporting into ePUB format.
>>> It has lots of adjustments that you can make. Not updated beyond LO 4
>>> series.
>>>
>>> Language tool - also not updated beyond LO 4 series. I am not so
>>> bothered by this one.
>>>
>>> I installed both these two anyway to see what would happen.  Neither can
>>> be 'enabled' in the Extension Manager Tool and the error I get with both
>>> of them is the same :
>>>
>>>       "Could not create Java implementation loader"
>>>
>>> This makes me wonder if the problem is within my new UbuntuStudio 16.04
>>> support for Java rather than a problem with the extensions not having
>>> been updated ?
>>>
>>> Does anyone out there on this list have any ideas that could help ?

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

I am wondering if the "default" open-source java is installed or some
other version.

-  openjdk-8-jre for amd64 [my install on Ubuntu/MATE 16.04LTS]

If I remember correctly, you may have several versions of java and
choose which one you want to run with LO.

I do not remember which version of LO is installed, by default, when I
upgraded from 15.10 to 16.04, but I currently run the 5.2.0.4 version on
"this laptop".  I still have not upgraded my 6.25 TB [plus 6.0 TB USB
backup] main desktop from 14.04 to 16.04, since I am having issues
sitting at my desk.  I believe I was running a later version of 4.1.x or
4.2.x on it.

On 08/13/2016 06:36 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Can you check to see if Java is enabled within LibreOffice?  Something
> like;
>
> Tools - Options - Java or Advanced or something
>
> There 'should be' a line telling you what  your machine and  that line
> should be ticked or bullet-pointed, or something.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
> On 13 August 2016 at 19:13, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've just migrated the desktop from 14.04 to 16.04 and so my working
>> LibreOffice environment has changed overnight from 4.2.8.2  to 5.1.4.2
>>
>> First impressions are very positive and I've imported all my templates
>> into Writer and things seem to work fine.
>>
>> Where I do have a problem is with a couple of extensions for Writer.
>> When I reloaded my extensions I found several of them were flagged up by
>> the LO website as 'not having been updated for over a year and maybe no
>> longer supported'. That was disappointing but I loaded the French
>> dictionaries anyway and they seem to be ok.
>>
>> The 2 extensions that cause me a problem are :
>>
>> Writer2xhtml - which I found very useful for exporting into ePUB format.
>> It has lots of adjustments that you can make. Not updated beyond LO 4
>> series.
>>
>> Language tool - also not updated beyond LO 4 series. I am not so
>> bothered by this one.
>>
>> I installed both these two anyway to see what would happen.  Neither can
>> be 'enabled' in the Extension Manager Tool and the error I get with both
>> of them is the same :
>>
>>        "Could not create Java implementation loader"
>>
>> This makes me wonder if the problem is within my new UbuntuStudio 16.04
>> support for Java rather than a problem with the extensions not having
>> been updated ?
>>
>> Does anyone out there on this list have any ideas that could help ?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Philip

>> deleted

robert leleu robert leleu

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

with compliments of my Ubuntu 16.04 (et LO 5.1.4.2), and I don't
remember any special java installation.

leleu@leleu-portable:~$ /usr/bin/java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-8u91-b14-3ubuntu1~16.04.1-b14)

Je la 14/08/2016 20:19, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster skribis :

TomD TomD

Re: LO Writer in UbuntuStudio 16.04.1

Hi :)
UbuntuStudio is a specialist distro that differs from 'vanilla' Ubuntu,
prinarily to make it easier to create art, music and other multimedia.  I
think it has Blender built-in, as an example.

Java is generally considered a security risk these days and almost all of
LibreOffice has rewritten almost all Java into C(++?) or Python or
something.  Sadly some add-ons/Extensions do still require it though.