LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

Art Art

LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

Hi All,

I've developed a spreadsheet to manage my diet. I foolishly put (several
groups of columns that belong on a separate page) onto sheet
1.....complete with formulas, proper formatting etc. How do I move the
groups of columns and rows (with formulas and formatting info) onto a
new sheet?

I can do it using the Paste Special command, but the formulas come out
all wrong, and would require a massive amount of re-edits to produce
usable results, most of the problems are the formulas.

I can post the spreadsheet, but I do not know where to post it.

Regards,

BB

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

At 16:03 02/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly wrote:
>I've developed a spreadsheet to manage my diet. I foolishly put
>several groups of columns that belong on a separate page onto sheet
>1.....complete with formulas, proper formatting etc. How do I move
>the groups of columns and rows (with formulas and formatting info)
>onto a new sheet? I can do it using the Paste Special command, but
>the formulas come out all wrong, and would require a massive amount
>of re-edits to produce usable results, most of the problems are the formulas.

It's difficult to know without being aware of all details, but here
are some ideas:

o Copy and paste using Paste Special, as you suggest, but tick the
Link option in the Paste Special dialogue. That way, the new sheet
will refer back to values in the original.

o Make a complete copy of the original sheet: right-click the sheet
tab and select Move/Copy Sheet... . Delete material from both sheets
as required.

o Use a careful combination of the above schemes.

If your spreadsheet is sensibly designed, correcting any formulae
should generally require attention only to one instance and the use
of the Fill function.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

On 03/02/2018 01:26 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 16:03 02/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly wrote:
>> I've developed a spreadsheet to manage my diet. I foolishly put
>> several groups of columns that belong on a separate page onto sheet
>> 1.....complete with formulas, proper formatting etc. How do I move
>> the groups of columns and rows (with formulas and formatting info)
>> onto a new sheet? I can do it using the Paste Special command, but
>> the formulas come out all wrong, and would require a massive amount
>> of re-edits to produce usable results, most of the problems are the
>> formulas.
>
> It's difficult to know without being aware of all details, but here
> are some ideas:
>
> o Copy and paste using Paste Special, as you suggest, but tick the
> Link option in the Paste Special dialogue. That way, the new sheet
> will refer back to values in the original.
>
> o Make a complete copy of the original sheet: right-click the sheet
> tab and select Move/Copy Sheet... . Delete material from both sheets
> as required.
>
> o Use a careful combination of the above schemes.
>
> If your spreadsheet is sensibly designed, correcting any formulae
> should generally require attention only to one instance and the use of
> the Fill function.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Greetings,
Optionally for bullet #2, I find it easy to click on the upper left
block where the row and column IDs converge (left of "A" and above "1").
This selects the entire sheet. I then use Ctrl+c to copy everything,
then go to the blank sheet, click on the upper left block on that sheet
to select it and use Ctrl-v to insert the data and formatting. Note that
I found that this does not copy the Print Range settings.
HTH.
Girvin Herr

Art Art

Re: LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

I did the complete duplicate on a new sheet and my data in the formulas
in the new sheet are corrupted.

I then stripped down the spreadsheet to make less sheets, and far less
columns and rows.

And, now, I can't even copy columns from one place to another, ON THE
SAME SHEET without corrupting the formulas. Each days worth of data is 8
columns, and I want to take the existing 1 day of data and make it into
365 days worth of data. So, that's far to much editing of the formulas
to be useful.

I will send my shortened/abbreviated spreadsheet to anyone who asks via
direct email, with some notes on the sheet.

I'm totally lost.

BB

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 13:38 02/03/2018 -0800, Girvin Herr wrote:

>On 03/02/2018 01:26 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>o Copy and paste using Paste Special, as you suggest, but tick
>>the > Link option in the Paste Special dialogue. [...]
>>o Make a complete copy of the original sheet: right-click the
>>sheet > tab and select Move/Copy Sheet... .
>
>Optionally for bullet #2, I find it easy to click on the upper left
>block where the row and column IDs converge (left of "A" and above
>"1"). This selects the entire sheet. I then use Ctrl+c to copy
>everything, then go to the blank sheet, click on the upper left
>block on that sheet to select it and use Ctrl-v to insert the data
>and formatting.

But that can produce different results for cross-sheet references
from case 2. That's why I suggested that case 2 might be what is required.

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 21:45 02/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly  wrote:
>I did the complete duplicate on a new sheet ...

That sounds as if you copied and pasted "on a new sheet". Have you
also tried copying the sheet using the technique I described -
creating the new sheet in the process - instead?

Brian Barker

Art Art

Re: LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

Hi Brian, Michael, et al,

Brian, yes, the procedure you gave works, as stated.

But, now I realized that I can't expand the spreadsheet to make
additional days by copying the previous day of data. So, I have a few
days of data, but need to duplicate those columns so I can have more
days worth of data to log new quantities of data for each of the new days.

And, no matter how I copy it, the formulas are not copied properly. I
can see the corrupted formulas after the copy operation. And, I can edit
each cell to make it right, but it's far to much effort/time to edit all
the formulas in each of the columns. I want 365 days worth of data, each
day has 8 entries, so I would have to edit almost 3000 (365*8)
individual formulas.

I think Michael might be on the right track and has given me some input
regarding what to search the help file for. Some of the data should
indeed NOT be changed, while some of it should!!! I had no idea that
absolute or partial absolute address existed! It's a diet spreadsheet,
so 7 columns have to refer back to the columns that need to retrieve the
raw data on calories, carbs etc. And that data does not change. Let me
try to decipher the help file, although many times it doesn't help much
because I don't understand so many of the terms it refers to-so I get
lost easily. Somewhat of a spreadsheet newbie.

BB

On 03/02/2018 11:05 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 21:45 02/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly  wrote:
>> I did the complete duplicate on a new sheet ...
>
> That sounds as if you copied and pasted "on a new sheet". Have you
> also tried copying the sheet using the technique I described -
> creating the new sheet in the process - instead?
>
> Brian Barker

Michael D. Setzer II Michael D. Setzer II

Re: LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

If you put a $ in front of the column and/or Row, it will have the copies remain
unchanged. (Can also be with sheet name linking to that).

Would have to see the good and bad versions of formulas to see how it
would be changed.

On 3 Mar 2018 at 9:51, Art wrote:

Subject:         Re: [libreoffice-users] LO calc, how to copy partial
sheet onto a new
        sheet
To:             [hidden email]
From:           Art <[hidden email]>
Date sent:       Sat, 3 Mar 2018 09:51:20 -0500

> Hi Brian, Michael, et al,
>
> Brian, yes, the procedure you gave works, as stated.
>
> But, now I realized that I can't expand the spreadsheet to make
> additional days by copying the previous day of data. So, I have a few
> days of data, but need to duplicate those columns so I can have more
> days worth of data to log new quantities of data for each of the new days.
>
> And, no matter how I copy it, the formulas are not copied properly. I
> can see the corrupted formulas after the copy operation. And, I can edit
> each cell to make it right, but it's far to much effort/time to edit all
> the formulas in each of the columns. I want 365 days worth of data, each
> day has 8 entries, so I would have to edit almost 3000 (365*8)
> individual formulas.
>
> I think Michael might be on the right track and has given me some input
> regarding what to search the help file for. Some of the data should
> indeed NOT be changed, while some of it should!!! I had no idea that
> absolute or partial absolute address existed! It's a diet spreadsheet,
> so 7 columns have to refer back to the columns that need to retrieve the
> raw data on calories, carbs etc. And that data does not change. Let me
> try to decipher the help file, although many times it doesn't help much
> because I don't understand so many of the terms it refers to-so I get
> lost easily. Somewhat of a spreadsheet newbie.
>
> BB
>

> On 03/02/2018 11:05 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> > At 21:45 02/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly  wrote:
> >> I did the complete duplicate on a new sheet ...
> >
> > That sounds as if you copied and pasted "on a new sheet". Have you
> > also tried copying the sheet using the technique I described -
> > creating the new sheet in the process - instead?
> >
> > Brian Barker

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:[hidden email]
 mailto:[hidden email]
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS

ABC          16613838.513356 | EINSTEIN    140857745.999240
ROSETTA      64915897.511531 | SETI        109315939.406767

Art Art

Re: LO calc, how to copy partial sheet onto a new sheet

Problem solved, I am constantly amazed at how easy a problem is solved
with just a little nudge in the right direction!

Thanks to you all! And, thanks to all who administer and maintain the
mailing list!

BB

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 14:08 03/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly wrote:
>Problem solved, ...

Good-oh!

At 09:51 03/03/2018 -0500, Bonly "Art" Bonly wrote:
>... no matter how I copy it, the formulas are not copied properly.

I suspect there *is* a way to do this, but no matter ...

>... I can edit each cell to make it right, but it's far to much
>effort/time to edit all the formulas in each of the columns. I want
>365 days worth of data, each day has 8 entries, so I would have to
>edit almost 3000 (365*8) individual formulas.

No, you wouldn't. Any spreadsheet with 3000 individual formulae gives
incorrect results. Yes, really! It is humanly impossible to enter
3000 separate formulae without making some errors. Spreadsheets are
fragile computation devices and entering many individual formulae is
the way to guarantee erroneous results.

Instead you probably want at most eight carefully crafted formulae
which, when filled down 365 rows, will generate the formulae you
need. Indeed, it may even be possible to create a single formula and
use it across eight columns, sheets, or whatever as well as filled
down 365 rows. So whatever the copying did to your formulae, you
would need to re-create at most eight formulae, not nearly 3000.
Constructing spreadsheets this way instead of piecemeal is essential
if you aspire to reliability.

Brian Barker