LO dictionaries

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Pat Brown Pat Brown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LO dictionaries

Hi,
   I have changed my settings to use only the English UK dictionary but
when I open a document it shows the English USA dictionary at the bottom of
the page. How can I change this so that it never uses the USA dictionary?
In fact, how can I delete the USA dictionary so that it is not even
available?

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO dictionaries

At 23:45 17/10/2019 +0200, Pat Brown wrote:
>I have changed my settings to use only the English UK dictionary ...

I don't think you have! Language is a property of various parts of
text within a document, not some setting in the product.

>... but when I open a document it shows the English USA dictionary
>at the bottom of the page.

No, it shows that this is the language set for text at the insertion
point, nothing about dictionaries.

>How can I change this so that it never uses the USA dictionary?

I hope you cannot. If I send you a document in which I have
appropriately chosen to mark some or all of its text as "English
(USA)" (unlikely, in fact, but possible), your installation of the
program needs to respect that. What you *can* do is two things:

o Set the default language for *new* documents that you create to
"English (UK)", if that is what you desire.

o Change the language marked for all or part of the text within a
particular document to whatever is appropriate. Note that language is
a character property, so you can apply language as local - direct -
formatting, but it is better to learn about styles and apply language
settings using character styles or paragraph styles.

>In fact, how can I delete the USA dictionary so that it is not even available?

It's never a good idea to go about tinkering with software and
deleting files, of course, but rather to use the product properly.
But even if you could do this, it would not - and should not -
prevent any text in any document being marked as "English (USA)". It
would simply mean that any such text could not have its spelling
checked: it would not somehow be magically checked using a dictionary
for another language. That would require the program to read your
mind: Finnish, Latvian, Esperanto? Oh, English (UK), eh?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Pat Brown Pat Brown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO dictionaries

In reply to this post by Pat Brown
Thank you!

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 05:18 Brian Barker, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 23:45 17/10/2019 +0200, Pat Brown wrote:
> >I have changed my settings to use only the English UK dictionary ...
>
> I don't think you have! Language is a property of various parts of
> text within a document, not some setting in the product.
>
> >... but when I open a document it shows the English USA dictionary
> >at the bottom of the page.
>
> No, it shows that this is the language set for text at the insertion
> point, nothing about dictionaries.
>
> >How can I change this so that it never uses the USA dictionary?
>
> I hope you cannot. If I send you a document in which I have
> appropriately chosen to mark some or all of its text as "English
> (USA)" (unlikely, in fact, but possible), your installation of the
> program needs to respect that. What you *can* do is two things:
>
> o Set the default language for *new* documents that you create to
> "English (UK)", if that is what you desire.
>
> o Change the language marked for all or part of the text within a
> particular document to whatever is appropriate. Note that language is
> a character property, so you can apply language as local - direct -
> formatting, but it is better to learn about styles and apply language
> settings using character styles or paragraph styles.
>
> >In fact, how can I delete the USA dictionary so that it is not even
> available?
>
> It's never a good idea to go about tinkering with software and
> deleting files, of course, but rather to use the product properly.
> But even if you could do this, it would not - and should not -
> prevent any text in any document being marked as "English (USA)". It
> would simply mean that any such text could not have its spelling
> checked: it would not somehow be magically checked using a dictionary
> for another language. That would require the program to read your
> mind: Finnish, Latvian, Esperanto? Oh, English (UK), eh?
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy