LO install and LinuxMint/MATE 16 downgrading it during a update

krackedpress krackedpress

LO install and LinuxMint/MATE 16 downgrading it during a update

I am now running Mint 16 [with MATE] instead of Ubuntu 12.04 [due to
some major issues after upgrading to 13.10].

I removed LO 4.1.3 using Synaptic Package Manager, and installed LO
4.1.5 using the Terminal.  Here is the problem - Mint reinstalled 4.1.3
during an upgrade session and now I have both installed and in the "menu
system".

So how do I remove Mint's default LO and keep it removed when I install
a newer version of LO?

I am running [as of March 8th]
Linux Mint 16 with MATE desktop environment [full install version
including multimedia DVD].

There are some differences between Ubuntu's MATE desktop and Mint's MATE
desktop, and it appears there are differences in how it deals with
removal and installation of packages during the Update Manager's process.

ALSO
what it the PPA instructions needed to deal with the 4.1.x line to add
it to the "update process".  Maybe that would stop this issue, or not.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: LO install and LinuxMint/MATE 16 downgrading it during a update

Tim,

There is a LO PPA at https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
which will have the latest stable release. It works with Ubuntu and all
the derivatives I have tested.

Jay

--
Jay Lozier

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO install and LinuxMint/MATE 16 downgrading it during a update

I would assume that when 4.1.6 come out in the end of April, the PPA
will make sure it is updated through the Update Manager.

Now that I have the 4.1 PPA added to my system, how do I make sure that
when I remove LO 4.1.3 from the system, Mint will not reinstall it
again, like it did after I installed 4.1.5 manually?

That is the real issue right now.  Why did Mint reinstall 4.1.3 during
an update session when 4.1.5 was already there.  Plus now I get both
installs in the "Office" menu list.

I would like to have only one install of LO to save needed space on the
"OS and /home" partition.

---------

I am now running the OS on a 250 GB drive and I was running a 500 GB
partition for it.  Upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.10 erased my whole
drive and all of the non-OS partitions as well.  Then there were some
GRUB and boot issues with 13.10, so I switched to Mint and a smaller
drive for the OS, with the original 2TB drive for data only. [IDE - one
250 GB for OS: SATA - three 2TB drives for data, one optical drive].

At least Mint 16 will now see the networked Canon drives and install
them.  Mint 14 did not, would not unless they were USB printers.  Also,
it seems that Ubuntu 13.10 does not like my 6 month old PCIe16 NVIDIA
graphics card, which I bought to deal with issues 11.xx had with my
internal MoB NVIDIA graphics.  It seems that Mint 16 does not have that
problem.  I run the MATE version, instead of Cinnamon, since I was
running Ubuntu with MATE. Ubuntu's MATE install has both the top and
bottom panels while Mint/MATE only uses the bottom one.  I have to get
use to that.

On 03/09/2014 11:34 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:

> Tim,
>
> There is a LO PPA at https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
> which will have the latest stable release. It works with Ubuntu and
> all the derivatives I have tested.
>
> Jay
> On 03/09/2014 11:25 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>>
>> I am now running Mint 16 [with MATE] instead of Ubuntu 12.04 [due to
>> some major issues after upgrading to 13.10].
>>
>> I removed LO 4.1.3 using Synaptic Package Manager, and installed LO
>> 4.1.5 using the Terminal.  Here is the problem - Mint reinstalled
>> 4.1.3 during an upgrade session and now I have both installed and in
>> the "menu system".
>>
>> So how do I remove Mint's default LO and keep it removed when I
>> install a newer version of LO?
>>
>> I am running [as of March 8th]
>> Linux Mint 16 with MATE desktop environment [full install version
>> including multimedia DVD].
>>
>> There are some differences between Ubuntu's MATE desktop and Mint's
>> MATE desktop, and it appears there are differences in how it deals
>> with removal and installation of packages during the Update Manager's
>> process.
>>
>> ALSO
>> what it the PPA instructions needed to deal with the 4.1.x line to
>> add it to the "update process".  Maybe that would stop this issue, or
>> not.

Tractor Tractor

Re: LO install and LinuxMint/MATE 16 downgrading it during a update

Hi Webmaster,

If you were doing an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.10, that will not
work. 12.04 to 14.04 will work since both are/will be Long Term Service
releases. Other upgrades only work if you are going from the previous
current release, such as 13.04 to 13.10. I generally do a clean install
anyway.

To cleanly remove LO using the terminal from your computer you can do
the following from
http://askubuntu.com/questions/180403/how-to-uninstall-libreoffice:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove

I use it to get rid of the package version and then reinstall the
version I want from The Document Foundation. I do not use any PPA
version, and have never had any issues.

Don

--

Don C. Myers