LO not finding my scanner

krackedpress krackedpress

LO not finding my scanner

I just installed 6.0.0.3 64-bit DEB for Ubuntu MATE 16.04LTS.

I was looking at some things and I went to "Insert/Media/Scan/Select
Source".  LO could not find my Canon TS9020 printer/scanner. I even
opened the printer's scan utility and still LO could not find the scanner.

This is the first time I looked into using a scanner withing LO, so I do
not know if it is a 6.0.0 issue or 5.4.4 or earlier issue.

Any ideas?

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Did you use the menu tree INSERT -> MEDIA -> SCAN?

--
********************************
A smile - is a sign of joy.

Blessings, Joe Conner
Joshua 24:15 "...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Dave Barton-3 Dave Barton-3

Re: LO not finding my scanner

After seeing Tim's post I checked and Insert > Media > Scan > Select
Source... opens an empty dialog and Insert > Media > Scan > Request...
silently fails.
Version: 6.0.0.3 (x64) Build ID:
64a0f66915f38c6217de274f0aa8e15618924765 CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows
6.1; UI render: GL;

No issues with scan in either AOO or MS Office on the same machine.

Dave

On 07.02.2018 22:50, Joe Conner wrote:

> Did you use the menu tree INSERT -> MEDIA -> SCAN?
>

> On 02/07/2018 02:25 PM, Tim-L wrote:
>>
>> I just installed 6.0.0.3 64-bit DEB for Ubuntu MATE 16.04LTS.
>>
>> I was looking at some things and I went to "Insert/Media/Scan/Select
>> Source".  LO could not find my Canon TS9020 printer/scanner. I even
>> opened the printer's scan utility and still LO could not find the
>> scanner.
>>
>> This is the first time I looked into using a scanner withing LO, so I
>> do not know if it is a 6.0.0 issue or 5.4.4 or earlier issue.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Another datapoint:

I tried it with LO 5.3.4.2 under xfce and Slackware 14.2 Linux with my
Epson 1660 Photo USB scanner and it worked fine with Insert > Media >
Scan > Select Source.

Girvin Herr

On 02/07/2018 03:12 PM, Dave Barton wrote:

> After seeing Tim's post I checked and Insert > Media > Scan > Select
> Source... opens an empty dialog and Insert > Media > Scan > Request...
> silently fails.
> Version: 6.0.0.3 (x64) Build ID:
> 64a0f66915f38c6217de274f0aa8e15618924765 CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows
> 6.1; UI render: GL;
>
> No issues with scan in either AOO or MS Office on the same machine.
>
> Dave
>
> On 07.02.2018 22:50, Joe Conner wrote:
>> Did you use the menu tree INSERT -> MEDIA -> SCAN?
>>

>> On 02/07/2018 02:25 PM, Tim-L wrote:
>>> I just installed 6.0.0.3 64-bit DEB for Ubuntu MATE 16.04LTS.
>>>
>>> I was looking at some things and I went to "Insert/Media/Scan/Select
>>> Source".  LO could not find my Canon TS9020 printer/scanner. I even
>>> opened the printer's scan utility and still LO could not find the
>>> scanner.
>>>
>>> This is the first time I looked into using a scanner withing LO, so I
>>> do not know if it is a 6.0.0 issue or 5.4.4 or earlier issue.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: LO not finding my scanner

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:27:33 -0800
Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another datapoint:
>
> I tried it with LO 5.3.4.2 under xfce and Slackware 14.2 Linux with
> my Epson 1660 Photo USB scanner and it worked fine with Insert >
> Media > Scan > Select Source.
>
> Girvin Herr

And another datapoint:

I tried with LO 5.4.4.2 under LXDE on openSUSE Leap 42.3 with an Epson
Stylus Photo RX620 and got a 'Due to an unexpected error, LibreOffice
crashed.' (It's one of those annoyingly unhelpful error dialogs that
won't let you copy the text. GRR!)

After restarting LO, it scanned fine. I'll still prefer to use xsane.

> On 02/07/2018 03:12 PM, Dave Barton wrote:
> > After seeing Tim's post I checked and Insert > Media > Scan > Select
> > Source... opens an empty dialog and Insert > Media > Scan >
> > Request... silently fails.
> > Version: 6.0.0.3 (x64) Build ID:
> > 64a0f66915f38c6217de274f0aa8e15618924765 CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows
> > 6.1; UI render: GL;
> >
> > No issues with scan in either AOO or MS Office on the same machine.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On 07.02.2018 22:50, Joe Conner wrote:
> >> Did you use the menu tree INSERT -> MEDIA -> SCAN?

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: LO not finding my scanner

On my (getting old now) 5.1.6.2 under UbuntuStudio, LO Writer works fine.

But Calc displays Insert > Media but the next 2 offers [Select Source
and Request] are greyed out and not available. Maybe not intended to
work with Scan ?

Philip

--
Philip Jackson
Domain le Theron

Open pgp public key : fingerprint = 92B9 5310 37BE C6FE 2B2C  B922 26BD
500A 2354 3A63

author of "The Circle of Fifths" for improvising musicians
Get it here  https://www.books2read.com/u/bWnRM4

auteur : "Le Cycle des Quintes" pour musiciens improvisateurs
disponibilité : https://www.books2read.com/u/bw8rv9

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.

Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane.  They call
their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options compared to
"scangearmp" which was use for the previous printer/scanners I have had
[all dead now].

Yes, I have 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, LibreOffice, and Canon drivers.

On a side note:

This is the first Canon printer that I bought that has Linux drivers in
their USA web site.  I always had to go to the UK site to get the
drivers. At least Canon is starting to get the picture that a lot of
people in the USA are Linux users.

On 02/07/2018 07:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:27:33 -0800
> Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Another datapoint:
>>
>> I tried it with LO 5.3.4.2 under xfce and Slackware 14.2 Linux with
>> my Epson 1660 Photo USB scanner and it worked fine with Insert >
>> Media > Scan > Select Source.
>>
>> Girvin Herr
> And another datapoint:
>
> I tried with LO 5.4.4.2 under LXDE on openSUSE Leap 42.3 with an Epson
> Stylus Photo RX620 and got a 'Due to an unexpected error, LibreOffice
> crashed.' (It's one of those annoyingly unhelpful error dialogs that
> won't let you copy the text. GRR!)
>
> After restarting LO, it scanned fine. I'll still prefer to use xsane.
>
>> On 02/07/2018 03:12 PM, Dave Barton wrote:
>>> After seeing Tim's post I checked and Insert > Media > Scan > Select
>>> Source... opens an empty dialog and Insert > Media > Scan >
>>> Request... silently fails.
>>> Version: 6.0.0.3 (x64) Build ID:
>>> 64a0f66915f38c6217de274f0aa8e15618924765 CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows
>>> 6.1; UI render: GL;
>>>
>>> No issues with scan in either AOO or MS Office on the same machine.
>>>
>>> Dave

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: LO not finding my scanner

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 11:45:08 -0500
Tim-L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
> print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.
>
> Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane.  They
> call their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options
> compared to "scangearmp" which was use for the previous
> printer/scanners I have had [all dead now].

scangearmp is a command-line program, not an interface. LibreOffice
uses the SANE backends, just as xsane does, just as pretty much every
other scanning program does. Do you have the sane package installed?

Your scanner is listed as using the sane-pixma driver, but is marked as
untested. See http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

Generally, buying a scanner or other hardware device for use with linux
is unwise unless it has been tested and reported as compatible. This is
especially true with linux-hostile manufacturers like Canon.

On 02/08/2018 03:37 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 11:45:08 -0500
> Tim-L <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
>> print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.
>>
>> Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane.  They
>> call their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options
>> compared to "scangearmp" which was use for the previous
>> printer/scanners I have had [all dead now].
> scangearmp is a command-line program, not an interface. LibreOffice
> uses the SANE backends, just as xsane does, just as pretty much every
> other scanning program does. Do you have the sane package installed?
>
> Your scanner is listed as using the sane-pixma driver, but is marked as
> untested. See http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON
>
> Generally, buying a scanner or other hardware device for use with linux
> is unwise unless it has been tested and reported as compatible. This is
> especially true with linux-hostile manufacturers like Canon.

Interesting.  IF scangearmp2 needs SANE, then why can it work without
SANE being installed?

I just checked for it. It was not installed.  I installed SANE and it
scangearmp2 did not work any different.  Still, LO "media scan" option
does not work either.

Actually, I have scangearmp2 as a launcher on my desktop. Since it shows
a GUI window when called, it is not fully command line with all of the
options as parts of the command.  I wish the "2" version had all the
options that the original one had.  At least it saves JPG instead of
just PNG.

"use with Linux" is something I do search for.
I do so by looking for printers that have Linux drivers coming from the
manufacturer, and not a third party.  For Canon, all 4 of the printers
had drivers for DEB based Linux. Usually, I have to go to the Canon UK
site for the drivers.  This last one, TS9020, was the first one that had
Linux drivers in the USA site. I found out how much the problem was when
I had an Epson Workflow[?] printer.  I could print OK, except for
duplexing.  It would not scan at all till I installed Ubuntu 12.04.  I
started out with 9.10 on that desktop.

The only printer brand that I get the drivers from a "3rd party" is HP.
They are the easiest to get the drivers, etc.. It seems that their Open
Source driver system will "make" a driver for the specific OS and model
you have.

The first 3 Canon PIXMA models I had used used scangearmp.  This new one
required "scangearmp2" the newer version -  Scan Gear MP 3.40. The old
and new one are not compatible, backwards or forward.

So, "linux-hostile" is not as true as people think.  Sure, till now,
Canon's support system tells you that they do not support Linux. This
was for the USA support system.  If you went to the UK support site, you
can find the Linux drivers there.  Sure, when I bought a Pixma MG6220, I
had to get the MG6240 driver - since it was called MG6200 driver. So I
could buy the Canon printer and get the drivers for Linux.

Also, I make sure I can get third party ink.  I cannot afford the Canon
OEM pricing.  When I had the MG6220, I could get 6+ full sets of ink for
the same price I would get for 1 OEM set.  This new TS9220 set costs
more, but the printer has not been out as long as the others.  It is
getting lower in costs though. I can use a lot of ink each month, if I
am doing a lot of "work".  So, ink costs are very important for someone
on a fixed [mostly] income.

>> Yes, I have 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, LibreOffice, and Canon drivers.

>> On a side note:
>>
>> This is the first Canon printer that I bought that has Linux drivers
>> in their USA web site.  I always had to go to the UK site to get the
>> drivers. At least Canon is starting to get the picture that a lot of
>> people in the USA are Linux users.
>>

>> On 02/07/2018 07:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> And another datapoint:
>>>
>>> I tried with LO 5.4.4.2 under LXDE on openSUSE Leap 42.3 with an
>>> Epson Stylus Photo RX620 and got a 'Due to an unexpected error,
>>> LibreOffice crashed.' (It's one of those annoyingly unhelpful error
>>> dialogs that won't let you copy the text. GRR!)
>>>
>>> After restarting LO, it scanned fine. I'll still prefer to use
>>> xsane.

Dave Barton-3 Dave Barton-3

Re: LO not finding my scanner

This appears not to be a Linux specific issue. I can't speak for macOS
users, but it is definitely a problem with LO 6.0.1.1 on all of my WIN 7
and Linux boxes, where I have zero scanning issues using LO 5.4 or other
office software.

Has anyone entered a bug report yet?

Dave

On 08.02.2018 16:45, Tim-L wrote:

> Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
> print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.
>
> Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane.  They call
> their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options compared
> to "scangearmp" which was use for the previous printer/scanners I have
> had [all dead now].
>
> Yes, I have 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, LibreOffice, and Canon drivers.

> On a side note:
>
> This is the first Canon printer that I bought that has Linux drivers
> in their USA web site.  I always had to go to the UK site to get the
> drivers. At least Canon is starting to get the picture that a lot of
> people in the USA are Linux users.
>

> On 02/07/2018 07:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:27:33 -0800
>> Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Another datapoint:
>>>
>>> I tried it with LO 5.3.4.2 under xfce and Slackware 14.2 Linux with
>>> my Epson 1660 Photo USB scanner and it worked fine with Insert >
>>> Media > Scan > Select Source.
>>>
>>> Girvin Herr
>> And another datapoint:
>>
>> I tried with LO 5.4.4.2 under LXDE on openSUSE Leap 42.3 with an Epson
>> Stylus Photo RX620 and got a 'Due to an unexpected error, LibreOffice
>> crashed.' (It's one of those annoyingly unhelpful error dialogs that
>> won't let you copy the text. GRR!)
>>
>> After restarting LO, it scanned fine. I'll still prefer to use xsane.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO not finding my scanner

To be honest, I had never tried to use my scanning option with 5.4 or
earlier.  I was just going through the different drop-down menus after I
installed 6.0.0.3.

I see 6.0.1.x is online for download.  I will install it within a few days.

2 of my 3 laptops have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed.
The newest laptop is a Ubuntu Mate only box. Right now, the second
oldest laptop is my default one and is the only one running 6.0.x.x.

I will look into the uses of the scanning options with one of those
other laptops to see if it scanning works.

On 02/10/2018 08:04 AM, Dave Barton wrote:

> This appears not to be a Linux specific issue. I can't speak for macOS
> users, but it is definitely a problem with LO 6.0.1.1 on all of my WIN 7
> and Linux boxes, where I have zero scanning issues using LO 5.4 or other
> office software.
>
> Has anyone entered a bug report yet?
>
> Dave
>
> On 08.02.2018 16:45, Tim-L wrote:
>> Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
>> print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.
>>
>> Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane.  They call
>> their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options compared
>> to "scangearmp" which was use for the previous printer/scanners I have
>> had [all dead now].
>>
>> Yes, I have 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, LibreOffice, and Canon drivers.

>> On a side note:
>>
>> This is the first Canon printer that I bought that has Linux drivers
>> in their USA web site.  I always had to go to the UK site to get the
>> drivers. At least Canon is starting to get the picture that a lot of
>> people in the USA are Linux users.
>>

>> On 02/07/2018 07:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> And another datapoint:
>>>
>>> I tried with LO 5.4.4.2 under LXDE on openSUSE Leap 42.3 with an Epson
>>> Stylus Photo RX620 and got a 'Due to an unexpected error, LibreOffice
>>> crashed.' (It's one of those annoyingly unhelpful error dialogs that
>>> won't let you copy the text. GRR!)
>>>
>>> After restarting LO, it scanned fine. I'll still prefer to use xsane.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Just to throw more issues - LO 5.4.x still does not find my Canon
printer's scanning service.

So, it could be the Scanner drivers for Ubuntu.  The "scangearmp2"
package does not have all of the options as the "version 1" did. To
bad.  Now I have to do all of the cropping, etc., via GIMP instead at
the scanning level.

On 02/11/2018 11:30 AM, Tim-L wrote:

> To be honest, I had never tried to use my scanning option with 5.4 or
> earlier.  I was just going through the different drop-down menus after
> I installed 6.0.0.3.
>
> I see 6.0.1.x is online for download.  I will install it within a few
> days.
>
> 2 of my 3 laptops have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04
> installed.  The newest laptop is a Ubuntu Mate only box. Right now,
> the second oldest laptop is my default one and is the only one running
> 6.0.x.x.
>
> I will look into the uses of the scanning options with one of those
> other laptops to see if it scanning works.
>

> On 02/10/2018 08:04 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
>> This appears not to be a Linux specific issue. I can't speak for macOS
>> users, but it is definitely a problem with LO 6.0.1.1 on all of my WIN 7
>> and Linux boxes, where I have zero scanning issues using LO 5.4 or other
>> office software.
>>
>> Has anyone entered a bug report yet?
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 08.02.2018 16:45, Tim-L wrote:
>>> Yes, I tried Insert > Media > Select Source.  It does not show my
>>> print/scan/copy - Canon TS9020.
>>>
>>> Canon's Linux driver for scanning does not work with xsane. They call
>>> their interface "scangearmp2".  This has hardly and options compared
>>> to "scangearmp" which was use for the previous printer/scanners I have
>>> had [all dead now].
>>>
>>> Yes, I have 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, LibreOffice, and Canon drivers.

>>> On a side note:
>>>
>>> This is the first Canon printer that I bought that has Linux drivers
>>> in their USA web site.  I always had to go to the UK site to get the
>>> drivers. At least Canon is starting to get the picture that a lot of
>>> people in the USA are Linux users.

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Hi Tim and all:

     I'm not an expert on computer science, ... but sometimes, it is
possible to keep install both version of a program. Why not probe to
install "scangearmp" in parallel to "scangearmp2" ? It would solve your
problem.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El 11/02/2018 a las 10:59, Tim-L escribió:

> Just to throw more issues - LO 5.4.x still does not find my Canon
> printer's scanning service.
>
> So, it could be the Scanner drivers for Ubuntu.  The "scangearmp2"
> package does not have all of the options as the "version 1" did. To
> bad.  Now I have to do all of the cropping, etc., via GIMP instead at
> the scanning level.
>

> On 02/11/2018 11:30 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>>
>> To be honest, I had never tried to use my scanning option with 5.4 or
>> earlier.  I was just going through the different drop-down menus
>> after I installed 6.0.0.3.
>>
>> I see 6.0.1.x is online for download.  I will install it within a few
>> days.
>>
>> 2 of my 3 laptops have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04
>> installed.  The newest laptop is a Ubuntu Mate only box. Right now,
>> the second oldest laptop is my default one and is the only one
>> running 6.0.x.x.
>>
>> I will look into the uses of the scanning options with one of those
>> other laptops to see if it scanning works.
>>

>> On 02/10/2018 08:04 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
>>> This appears not to be a Linux specific issue. I can't speak for macOS
>>> users, but it is definitely a problem with LO 6.0.1.1 on all of my
>>> WIN 7
>>> and Linux boxes, where I have zero scanning issues using LO 5.4 or
>>> other
>>> office software.
>>>
>>> Has anyone entered a bug report yet?
>>>
>>> Dave

Dave Barton-3 Dave Barton-3

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Hi Jorge,

What you propose may work for a Linux installation, but does not explain
why I am seeing the same issue on Windows machines.

Best Regards
Dave

On 12.02.2018 14:44, jorge Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi Tim and all:
>
>     I'm not an expert on computer science, ... but sometimes, it is
> possible to keep install both version of a program. Why not probe to
> install "scangearmp" in parallel to "scangearmp2" ? It would solve
> your problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El 11/02/2018 a las 10:59, Tim-L escribió:
>>
>> Just to throw more issues - LO 5.4.x still does not find my Canon
>> printer's scanning service.
>>
>> So, it could be the Scanner drivers for Ubuntu.  The "scangearmp2"
>> package does not have all of the options as the "version 1" did. To
>> bad.  Now I have to do all of the cropping, etc., via GIMP instead at
>> the scanning level.
>>

>> On 02/11/2018 11:30 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>>>
>>> To be honest, I had never tried to use my scanning option with 5.4
>>> or earlier.  I was just going through the different drop-down menus
>>> after I installed 6.0.0.3.
>>>
>>> I see 6.0.1.x is online for download.  I will install it within a
>>> few days.
>>>
>>> 2 of my 3 laptops have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04
>>> installed.  The newest laptop is a Ubuntu Mate only box. Right now,
>>> the second oldest laptop is my default one and is the only one
>>> running 6.0.x.x.
>>>
>>> I will look into the uses of the scanning options with one of those
>>> other laptops to see if it scanning works.

Tim Lungstrom Tim Lungstrom

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Sorry, but it will not work.

The original will not "see" the printer at all.  When I had more than
one Canon printer, I had both installed - 1 for 6220 and 1 for 9020.
Each scanner driver/package that is installed are geared to a specific
model.

On 02/12/2018 09:44 AM, jorge Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi Tim and all:
>
>     I'm not an expert on computer science, ... but sometimes, it is
> possible to keep install both version of a program. Why not probe to
> install "scangearmp" in parallel to "scangearmp2" ? It would solve
> your problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El 11/02/2018 a las 10:59, Tim-L escribió:
>>
>> Just to throw more issues - LO 5.4.x still does not find my Canon
>> printer's scanning service.
>>
>> So, it could be the Scanner drivers for Ubuntu.  The "scangearmp2"
>> package does not have all of the options as the "version 1" did. To
>> bad.  Now I have to do all of the cropping, etc., via GIMP instead at
>> the scanning level.
>>

>> On 02/11/2018 11:30 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>>>
>>> To be honest, I had never tried to use my scanning option with 5.4
>>> or earlier.  I was just going through the different drop-down menus
>>> after I installed 6.0.0.3.
>>>
>>> I see 6.0.1.x is online for download.  I will install it within a
>>> few days.
>>>
>>> 2 of my 3 laptops have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04
>>> installed.  The newest laptop is a Ubuntu Mate only box. Right now,
>>> the second oldest laptop is my default one and is the only one
>>> running 6.0.x.x.
>>>
>>> I will look into the uses of the scanning options with one of those
>>> other laptops to see if it scanning works.

insomniacno1 insomniacno1

Re: LO not finding my scanner

2 years later and this is still an issue not only on Linux but also on
Windows XP up to Windows 10, People on the net in various forums have
reported that while scanning does not work in LibreOffice they had it
working in OpenOffice(I have not yet tested that).

I have had this issue since Libreoffice 6.2.2.8 which came installed with my
Peach OSI TW 16.04 LTS(Xubuntu) 64bit, i also tried 6.3.

I just removed all instances of LibeOffice today and installed the snap
version of 7.0.4.2 to see if the problem were solved, but no it's still
there. In Writer, I go to insert-Media-Scan-select source and nothing
happens.

I managed to get SANE working to see my scanner and it now works flawless. I
tried some other Office suites but they didn't have scanning options, so
back to LibreOffice in hope that you guys here can figure out a solution.

Printer/All-in-one set up as network printer in my home, Canon Pixma MG3070S
work with their own tool Scangearmp2 and now SANE. I do not run it, and
don't want to, as USB scanner, only network.  I would like to be able to
scan directly in to LibreOffice Writer and other apps of the office pack.

There must be a setting or script somewhere, were this option has been
disabled or written wrong, ex. an # where its not suppose to be.

Hope you will look into this and come up with a solution. Thank you in
advance.

Jan
Solution to the SANE problem, where it can find USB Scanner but not network
Scanner:

1. Open Terminal/Console Shell emulator window

2. Download Canon MG3000 Scanner Linux Drivers
Here https://ph.canon/support/PIXMA%20MG3070__%20MG3070S__%20MG3077/model

Download Canon MG3070S Scanner Driver for Ubuntu Linux 32/64-bit.

3. Also grab Canon ScanGear MP .deb Driver.

4. Confirm to Open with Archive Manager on Browser
Or after Double-Click/Right-Click on Scanner Driver
(When Downloaded with Firefox may be located in /tmp/mozilla* Dir)

5. Extract into the /tmp directory

6. Now to Install Canon Scanner Driver

First, access the Target directory with:

cd /tmp/scangear*

And then Run the Installation Script:

sudo ./install.sh

Note: During installation You may be Asked to Connect & Power On your
Scanner…

Now if in the Output you find trace of some Missing Package then try first
to execute:

cd /tmp/scangear*/packages

sudo su -c "apt-get install gdebi"

sudo su -c "gdebi ./*.deb"

When finished, restart the laptop

7. Head over to
https://launchpad.net/~thierry-f/+archive/ubuntu/fork-michael-gruz and
install the ppa as described:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thierry-f/fork-michael-gruz
sudo apt-get update

8. Go to /etc/sane.d/ and edit dll.conf as root. Under canon, add
canon_pixma and save the document and close the editor.

9. Open terminal and type sudo sane-find-scanner – it will not find the
scanner

9. In terminal type scanimage -L – scanner is now found and all SANE apps
work. LibreOffice do not work.

Hope this helps someone out there :)

Roderick Anderson Roderick Anderson

Re: LO not finding my scanner

Interesting.  I never noticed the scan option before.

So I gave it a try.

Linux Mint 19.3, LO 6.0.73, Xsane 0.999 (graphic front end to SANE),
Brother MFC-L3750 CDW.

Slow-ish but let me scan.

Device (Brother) doesn't support a preview but LO faked it.  Set to 300
DPI, is scanned and inserted the image.

Rod
--
On 2/15/21 4:41 AM, insomniacno1 wrote:

> [...]
> Scanner…
>
> Now if in the Output you find trace of some Missing Package then try first
> to execute:
>
> cd /tmp/scangear*/packages
>
> sudo su -c "apt-get install gdebi"
>
> sudo su -c "gdebi ./*.deb"
>
> When finished, restart the laptop
>

> 7. Head over to
> https://launchpad.net/~thierry-f/+archive/ubuntu/fork-michael-gruz and
> install the ppa as described:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thierry-f/fork-michael-gruz
> sudo apt-get update
>
> 8. Go to /etc/sane.d/ and edit dll.conf as root. Under canon, add
> canon_pixma and save the document and close the editor.
>
> 9. Open terminal and type sudo sane-find-scanner – it will not find the
> scanner
>
> 9. In terminal type scanimage -L – scanner is now found and all SANE apps

This post was updated on .
Could be a problem with certain scanners only, I only have the Canon Pixma
MG3070S to test with.

Rod, What version of LO do you use?

Anyone else having a problem?

There are many reports on the net, maybe they can't find this mailing list.