LO upgrade under Linux - delete old files

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

LO upgrade under Linux - delete old files

Good morning
Probably I am just not smart enough (again).
I upgraded LibreOffice from 6.0.7 to 6.1.6 on a machine running Linux
Mint 19.
The Readme file instructed me to run a dpkg command to unpack the .deb
files after extracting them from the downloaded compressed file.
I did that.
It seemed to run fine and completed successfully.
When I clicked on the Writer icon I used before, it is still LibreOffice
6.0.7 that opens.

Looking around, I found that there are OTHER LibreOffice icons, which
start the 6.1.6 version.
Are those old files supposed to remain there under Linux?
An update on Windows deletes those (as far as I know).
Looking in software manager I am told, that Libreoffice is installed,
but there is no distinction between 6.0.7 and 6.1.6.

If I update Libreoffice in the future again, will all the old files be
retained?
Should I **uninstall** Libreoffice first and then make a fresh
installation of the new version, or is there a way of cleaning out old
files?
(I presume, after a fresh installation I have to set up my preferences
etc. all over; that is something I would like to avoid.

Thank you.
Thomas

Krunose Krunose

Re: LO upgrade under Linux - delete old files

04. 06. 2019. u 03:28, Thomas Blasejewicz je napisao/la:

> Good morning
> Probably I am just not smart enough (again).
> I upgraded LibreOffice from 6.0.7 to 6.1.6 on a machine running Linux
> Mint 19.
> The Readme file instructed me to run a dpkg command to unpack the .deb
> files after extracting them from the downloaded compressed file.
> I did that.
> It seemed to run fine and completed successfully.
> When I clicked on the Writer icon I used before, it is still
> LibreOffice 6.0.7 that opens.
>
> Looking around, I found that there are OTHER LibreOffice icons, which
> start the 6.1.6 version.
> Are those old files supposed to remain there under Linux?
> An update on Windows deletes those (as far as I know).
> Looking in software manager I am told, that Libreoffice is installed,
> but there is no distinction between 6.0.7 and 6.1.6.
>
> If I update Libreoffice in the future again, will all the old files be
> retained?
> Should I **uninstall** Libreoffice first and then make a fresh
> installation of the new version, or is there a way of cleaning out old
> files?
> (I presume, after a fresh installation I have to set up my preferences
> etc. all over; that is something I would like to avoid.
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas

Hi,

first what you should do is remove libreoffice completely

     sudo apt-get remove <libreoffice version> && sudo apt-get purge
<libreoffice version> && sudo apt-get autoremove

then you extract tar files and enter the DEB folder. It holds many deb
files. Run

     sudo dpkg -i *.deb

and that will extract _all_ deb files.

Should work for you as it does for me.

Kruno

Peter Maunder Peter Maunder

Re: LO upgrade under Linux - delete old files

The Linux Mint update will update the same versions. Hence 6.1.6 will update
6.1.5 or 6.1.4 etc. It will not remove 6.0.x versions. Unlike Windows that
has no version control and can only run once version of LibO. This means I,
for example, on my Mint system run versions 5.4, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2. So I can
test problems with various versions and move users across slowly.

So the Icons are specific to the version and you can have Icons to open
Writer 6.1 and 6.0. If that is not what you want then remove previous
versions of LibO.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Den tis 4 juni 2019 kl 03:33 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]>:

> Good morning
> Probably I am just not smart enough (again).

We are all beginners at some point…

> I upgraded LibreOffice from 6.0.7 to 6.1.6 on a machine running Linux
> Mint 19.
> The Readme file instructed me to run a dpkg command to unpack the .deb
> files after extracting them from the downloaded compressed file.
> I did that.

I never had Mint, but I had Ubuntu for many years, and I think things like
this are just about the same for both. It seems like you have the Mint (or
Ubuntu) edition of LibreOffice to start with (6.0.7), is that correct? If
so, the new install via dpkg won't remove that version. Therefore you need
to uninstall those packages first (if you don't want them). Others already
described how to do that so I won't repeat that again.

If I recall correctly, when you install with dpkg, the old version
installed with dpkg will be replaced with the new one, but I'm not 100 %
sure about that.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg