LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

LO 1:4.2-8-0ubuntu on Xubuntu 14.04, up to date

I have used LO (and formerly OO) on Ubuntu for ten years, and there has
rarely been a problem.

Suddenly LO Writer would not open either of two files that I had been
working on. The error message popup said:

        The file 'filename.odt' is corrupt and therefore cannot be
        opened.
        LibreOffice can try to repair the file.
        The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or
        of structural document damage due to data transmission.
        We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired
        document.
        Execution of macros is disabled for this document.
        Should LibreOffice repair the file?

Clicking on YES got the popup:

        The file 'filename.odt' could not be repaired and therefore
        cannot be opened.

This popup had only an OK button, and clicking on it got another popup:

        General error.

The files were stored on a hard disk that was at the end of its
warranty and I was considering replacing it, so there is a possibility
that the files really were corrupt. But the disk had 4TB of other data
on it and none of it had appeared corrupted (yet), so I must
conclude that corruption is a possibility, but not necessarily true.

 At this point I copied the files from the suspect disk to a different
 drive (mSATA), and then tried to open them from there. But at this
 point Writer would not open at all. Writer and everything else is on
 the mSATA drive; the suspect drive is an external USB drive that is
 used strictly for data.

On trying to open Writer the error message was that Default.ott was
corrupt and do I want to try to repair it. Regardless of whether I said
Yes or No, I got a message "The file "Default.ott" could not be
repaired and therefore cannot be opened." There is only one button on
the message, "OK," and when I click on it I get a "General error" popup
message, and when I tried to open Writer again it would not even try to
open - nothing happened at all. However, the other components of the
suite (Impress, Draw, Calc, etc. all continued to open normally.

I reinstalled all components of LO, but it made no difference.

I searched for "Default.ott" and navigated to it, where I then renamed
it by appending -old to the filename. Afterwards Writer opened, but
bitched about there not being a Default.ott file. It looked the same as
before (I have a lot of custom toolbar and other viewing settings),
except that the page view was full page where I had always set it to
page width. No big deal.

So then I tried to open the supposedly corrupt files again, but I got
the same error messages as before. I have backups of the files, but
they were made last night and also would not open. These files are
lists of things and are constantly being added to, so really old
backups would be useless. In an effort to save the data I decided to
see if I could open them in Abiword. That was successful and the data
looked fine (except the table formatting was messed up), so I saved them
from Abiword in .odt format, but this failed with the error message

        "Error saving the document Untitled1: Write Error.
        Error in writing sub-document content.xml.

So then I decided to see if I could export the file, starting with PDF
as probably the least problematic. The export started and the progress
bar got about halfway, and then Writer locked up. There was nothing to
do except kill it and start over. I relaunched Writer, opened the .abw
file, and this time tried to export as Writer Layout XML. This time I
got a different error message:

        "Error saving the document <filename> Resource exhausted.
        No more space on device.

The device has over 100 GB of free space.

I decided to see if I could fix the damage that Abiword had done to the
table column widths, but in the middle of this suddenly the status bar
in Writer started flashing and I couldn't click on anything to close
the document or exit Writer - in other words, Writer had gone into a
loop that was taking all CPU processes. I killed Writer, and then
restarted it. At that point it was getting too late and I was out of
ideas, so I decided to post this message and go to bed. In the morning
my bran may have come up with other ideas and maybe someone here will
have some suggestions. And I know that my data is all still there since
I can open the files in Abiword, so it is merely a problem to be
figured out, not a disaster.

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:

OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.

I have a second computer with the same OS, the same LO, and most of the
same fonts and configs on it. I placed copies of the two 'corrupt'
files on a USB stick and moved it to the other computer, then
double-clicked on each. They both opened without a problem in LO.
Conclusion: There is nothing at all corrupt about the files.

Then I copied the Default.ott file from this computer and moved it to
the config folder on the computer with the problem. (I had already
renamed its Default.ott file by appending -old to it.) Then I launched
Writer and got the same error message that Default.ott was corrupt.

Note that if there is no Default.ott file Writer complains that the
file is missing, but opens normally anyway. If there really is a
Default.ott file (and it is known good), Writer says the Default.ott
file is corrupt, and if you ask it to repair it, it says it cannot be
repaired.

On the problem computer I copied and pasted the 'corrupt' document from
Abiword into a new Writer document, then saved it as a new .odt file.
However, the .odt file was -0- bytes.

I noticed a lot of problems opening files because Writer says the file
is in use (even when it is not in use). After a bit of experimenting I
discovered that LO is not deleting the lock files when a document is
closed.

As I go to bed I am thinking of nuking LO on the problem computer and
installing the version from LO instead of the version from the repos.
But I have a lot of add-ons installed (Zotero, etc.) plus a lot of
optional LO utilities. Is there a guide somewhere for how to nuke all
of it and then put it all back the way it was?

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:11:10 -0700
John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:

>On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
>OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.

One more thing, and then I'm really going to bed.

With Writer open (ignoring the missing Default.ott file warning on
opening it), I opened the .abw Abiword file and then went to save it as
a normal .odt file. This produced the error message:

        "Error saving the document <filename>: Write Error.
        Error in writing sub-document content.xml.

I hope by tomorrow morning this will all become clear and a solution
will be at hand. :)

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

RE: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

Before nuking everything, have you tried renaming the entire user profile. It should be a folder called "4". Rename it "4-old". Then restart LO. It will create a new user profile folder. You'll lose any custom settings, but you'll at least know if that's your problem.

Virgil

John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:

>On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
>OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.

One more thing, and then I'm really going to bed.

With Writer open (ignoring the missing Default.ott file warning on
opening it), I opened the .abw Abiword file and then went to save it as
a normal .odt file. This produced the error message:

        "Error saving the document <filename>: Write Error.
        Error in writing sub-document content.xml.

I hope by tomorrow morning this will all become clear and a solution
will be at hand. :)

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

Hi John:

        Why not open the document in Abiword and select all document, then copy
(to clipboard), and open new document on Libre Office and copy there
all ?

I hope this help,

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

El vie, 31-03-2017 a las 00:27 -0700, John Jason Jordan escribió:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:11:10 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
> >On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
> >John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
> >
> >OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.
>
> One more thing, and then I'm really going to bed.
>
> With Writer open (ignoring the missing Default.ott file warning on
> opening it), I opened the .abw Abiword file and then went to save it as
> a normal .odt file. This produced the error message:
>
> "Error saving the document <filename>: Write Error.
> Error in writing sub-document content.xml.
>
> I hope by tomorrow morning this will all become clear and a solution
> will be at hand. :)

TomD TomD

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

Hi :)
Renaming the user-profile will remove all the add-ons but it's probably a
good idea anyway.

Copying the default.ott from the working computer was brilliant imo, as was
trying to rename the previous one to see what happened.  I wonder if
renaming the whole folder that default.ott is in might make LO regenerate
the whole of that sub-folder?

Some sort of reinstall might dislodge something and fix it but generally
reinstalling tends to keep the user-profile (incl Extensions/add-ons)
intact so it might not do anything useful for this.
So unless Brian or Regina or someone like that weighs in then going for
Virgil's idea is likely to be the best 'first' step.  You can always rename
the user-profile (or chunks of it) back.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

PS sleep often magically gives inspiration, much like rebooting a Windows
machine.

On 31 Mar 2017 15:40, "jorge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John:
>
>         Why not open the document in Abiword and select all document, then
> copy
> (to clipboard), and open new document on Libre Office and copy there
> all ?
>
> I hope this help,
>
> --
> Atentamente,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El vie, 31-03-2017 a las 00:27 -0700, John Jason Jordan escribió:
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:11:10 -0700
> > John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
> >
> > >On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
> > >John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
> > >
> > >OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.
> >
> > One more thing, and then I'm really going to bed.
> >
> > With Writer open (ignoring the missing Default.ott file warning on
> > opening it), I opened the .abw Abiword file and then went to save it as
> > a normal .odt file. This produced the error message:
> >
> >       "Error saving the document <filename>: Write Error.
> >       Error in writing sub-document content.xml.
> >
> > I hope by tomorrow morning this will all become clear and a solution
> > will be at hand. :)

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 14:21:08 +0000
Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> dijo:

>Before nuking everything, have you tried renaming the entire user
>profile. It should be a folder called "4". Rename it "4-old". Then
>restart LO. It will create a new user profile folder. You'll lose any
>custom settings, but you'll at least know if that's your problem.

That was one of the first things that I did, but I forgot to mention
it in my posts.

Yesterday I renamed the whole .config/libreoffice folder
to .config/libreoffice-old. I did this partly because there was also a
'3' as well as the '4,' and I wanted to be sure that I got everything.
Having renamed it I launched Writer, expecting it to create a new
config file, but instead I got this error message:

        Error loading BASIC of document
        file:///home/jjj/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/Standard/script.xlb/:
        General Error. General input/output error.

And Writer would  not open. Today, having renamed the
.config/libreoffice folder again I find that Writer and all the other
components now give me the error twice, with only an OK button to click
on, but when I click on the button in both popups the programs open
normally, i.e., without my personalizations and add-ons like Zotero,
etc. And I note that LO did create a new '4' folder as expected.

However, all is not well. When I try to open any Writer document
created in the past I still get the 'corrupt' document error:

        The file '<filename>.odt' is corrupt and therefore cannot be
        opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file.
        The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or
        of structural document damage due to data transmission.
        We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired
        document. Execution of macros is disabled for this document.
        Should LibreOffice repair the file?

If I click on Yes it just says it was unable to repair the file, and
then gives me a General Error popup.

But note that last night I discovered that the documents are not
corrupted at all, as they open flawlessly with no error messages in LO
on my other computer. And the LO on the other computer is exactly the
same version - 4.2.8.2, Build ID: 420m0(Build:2), from the Ubuntu 14.04
repositories, and it has the same add-ons and customizations. In fact,
when I built the other computer I installed Xubuntu 14.04 on it, which
includes LO, but before launching it I replaced its config file with
the config file from the problem computer. I did this as a simple and
quick way to customize it the same way.

Also recall that yesterday I reinstalled everything with 'libreoffice'
that was installed, but it made no difference.

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:17:30 +0100
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> dijo:

>Renaming the user-profile will remove all the add-ons but it's
>probably a good idea anyway.
>Copying the default.ott from the working computer was brilliant imo,
>as was trying to rename the previous one to see what happened.  I
>wonder if renaming the whole folder that default.ott is in might make
>LO regenerate the whole of that sub-folder?
>Some sort of reinstall might dislodge something and fix it but
>generally reinstalling tends to keep the user-profile (incl
>Extensions/add-ons) intact so it might not do anything useful for this.
>So unless Brian or Regina or someone like that weighs in then going for
>Virgil's idea is likely to be the best 'first' step.  You can always
>rename the user-profile (or chunks of it) back.
>Good luck and regards from Tom :)

Thanks to Tom and everyone else who offered suggestions. I finally bit
the bullet and restarted the computer (I hate that because I have so
many things going on). Afterwards the problem was solved except for the
Default.ott.old file (my renaming). Writer happily opened the 'corrupt'
documents and, after I renamed Default.ott.old back to Default.ott it
opens without bitching about the missing file.

All is right in my world again. And as if it was a sign from the
computer gods, as soon as the problem was resolved the morning clouds
parted and the sun came out. Now I'm going for a walk to celebrate my
victory over evil bugs.

I do wish I knew what happened to cause this. It would be good to let
the devs know, but alas, this will probably remain a mystery.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

I had the same error on the last 3.x.x version and once on an early
4.x.x version.

I know that renaming the user profile [Ubuntu 64-bit 12.xx and 14.xx]
back then was the only way it removed the error[s].  I still rename the
profile when I get errors that I cannot fix. Latest was on Ubuntu MATE
16.04 with 5.2.3 or was it 5.2.4.

Remember, if you reinstall LO, you still will have the same profile,
unless you rename it.

Thanks Virgil.  People need to be reminded about this simple fix.

For John. . .
I hope you have a backup for your 4TB drive that is almost out of
warranty.  I have had three internal 2TB drives go bad since 2010. I
keep them backed up with USB drives.  My desktop has three 2TB internal
and three external 2TB USB backup drives.  For whatever reason, I do not
"trust" 3TB, 4TB or even the new-ish 6TB and 8TB drives - even though a
4TB drive costs not much more than a 2TB one.

On 03/31/2017 10:21 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> Before nuking everything, have you tried renaming the entire user profile. It should be a folder called "4". Rename it "4-old". Then restart LO. It will create a new user profile folder. You'll lose any custom settings, but you'll at least know if that's your problem.
>
> Virgil

TomD TomD

Re: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

Congrats !! :))

Really good to hear you caught a few rays too.  Kubuntu defaults (i think)
to re-open everything on reboot and somehow i ended up with that happening
in Ubuntu too - probably because i didn't want it to (good ol'Murphy).  I'm
not sure if it's a simple setting somewhere but i found there were a lot of
advantages to it.

Rebooting other distros has helped me too.
Congrats, good luck and regards from
Tom :)

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

On 03/31/2017 12:16 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:17:30 +0100
> Tom Davies <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
>> Renaming the user-profile will remove all the add-ons but it's
>> probably a good idea anyway.
>> Copying the default.ott from the working computer was brilliant imo,
>> as was trying to rename the previous one to see what happened.  I
>> wonder if renaming the whole folder that default.ott is in might make
>> LO regenerate the whole of that sub-folder?
>> Some sort of reinstall might dislodge something and fix it but
>> generally reinstalling tends to keep the user-profile (incl
>> Extensions/add-ons) intact so it might not do anything useful for this.
>> So unless Brian or Regina or someone like that weighs in then going for
>> Virgil's idea is likely to be the best 'first' step.  You can always
>> rename the user-profile (or chunks of it) back.
>> Good luck and regards from Tom :)
> Thanks to Tom and everyone else who offered suggestions. I finally bit
> the bullet and restarted the computer (I hate that because I have so
> many things going on). Afterwards the problem was solved except for the
> Default.ott.old file (my renaming). Writer happily opened the 'corrupt'
> documents and, after I renamed Default.ott.old back to Default.ott it
> opens without bitching about the missing file.
>
> All is right in my world again. And as if it was a sign from the
> computer gods, as soon as the problem was resolved the morning clouds
> parted and the sun came out. Now I'm going for a walk to celebrate my
> victory over evil bugs.
>
> I do wish I knew what happened to cause this. It would be good to let
> the devs know, but alas, this will probably remain a mystery.

Phase of the moon?  SEU (Single Event Upset) from Cosmic rays?  Once in
a long while, I must restart my Slackware Linux machine when it doesn't
work right after booting.  (I shut mine down every night.) So, it does
happen with Linux, but not very often.  I would say about once or twice
a year for me.  I chalk it up to a SEU from a Cosmic ray hitting a vital
memory cell or two at this 4400-foot altitude.
Glad you solved your problem.
Girvin Herr

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

RE: LO won't open - claims Default.ott is corrupt

Rebooting!!! Of course. I do it so often, that it never occurred to me to think of it as a solution. I'm currently running Mint 18 on my Sony laptop and it often gives me strange behavior when it wakes up from sleep mode so I reboot about every other day. It's just my new normal.

Virgil