Language setting in Calc

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Language setting in Calc

Good evening
In my line of work (translator) I often forced to use MS Office files.
Right now I am working with an Excel worksheet.
I am not allowed to change file name, format or anything else am only
supposed to enter
the German translation of a Japanese text into the designated columns.

Fine so far.
The original file is so formatted that there are font settings for
English and Japanese.
When I work at home (right now) I select the relevant columns and change
the language setting to German.
But when I go to my little work place and open the same file there, the
language in those columns is back to English.
I changed it in my office to German again, but once I am home and start
working here, it is back to English again.

Is there a way to tell Excel files to use a specific language AND STAY
THAT WAY?

It would reduce unnecessary stress significantly.

Thank you.
Thomas

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

This may be an answer.

Choose Tools - Options. Go to Language Settings - Languages. Under  
Default languages for documents, select the document language for all  
newly created documents. If you mark For the current document only, your  
choice will only apply to the current document.

https://help.libreoffice.org/4.4/Common/Selecting_the_Document_Language

On 2/19/21 5:43 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Good evening
> In my line of work (translator) I often forced to use MS Office files.
> Right now I am working with an Excel worksheet.
> I am not allowed to change file name, format or anything else am only  
> supposed to enter
> the German translation of a Japanese text into the designated columns.
>
> Fine so far.
> The original file is so formatted that there are font settings for  
> English and Japanese.
> When I work at home (right now) I select the relevant columns and  
> change the language setting to German.
> But when I go to my little work place and open the same file there,  
> the language in those columns is back to English.
> I changed it in my office to German again, but once I am home and  
> start working here, it is back to English again.
>
> Is there a way to tell Excel files to use a specific language AND STAY  
> THAT WAY?
>
> It would reduce unnecessary stress significantly.
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

On 2021/02/20 6:14, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
> This may be an answer.
>
> Choose Tools - Options. Go to Language Settings - Languages. Under  
> Default languages for documents, select the document language for all  
> newly created documents. If you mark For the current document only,  
> your choice will only apply to the current document.
>
> https://help.libreoffice.org/4.4/Common/Selecting_the_Document_Language

Thank you, but I am afraid, that is not the answer.
The (Excel) file is the draft for the preparation of a questionnaire -  
to be translated into several languages (although the one I am currently  
working on has only 3 languages).
Means: I want certain columns ONLY to be set to German, while others  
next to it are set to English and Japanese.
Applying the language to the entire document does not do this trick.

Thomas

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

cspiess@ieee.org cspiess@ieee.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

I did a little test and was able to reproduce your problem with the Column
> Format Cells > Font > Polish (which is just the test language I used).  I
could reproduce the problem when working with the document as an .xlsx or
.xls file, but the problem does NOT exist when I used a .ods file.  So the
issue seems to be specific to LibreOffice operating with Excel files.  You
might want to report it as a bug:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport


On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> On 2021/02/20 6:14, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
> > This may be an answer.
> >
> > Choose Tools - Options. Go to Language Settings - Languages. Under
> > Default languages for documents, select the document language for all
> > newly created documents. If you mark For the current document only,
> > your choice will only apply to the current document.
> >
> > https://help.libreoffice.org/4.4/Common/Selecting_the_Document_Language
>
> Thank you, but I am afraid, that is not the answer.
> The (Excel) file is the draft for the preparation of a questionnaire -
> to be translated into several languages (although the one I am currently
> working on has only 3 languages).
> Means: I want certain columns ONLY to be set to German, while others
> next to it are set to English and Japanese.
> Applying the language to the entire document does not do this trick.
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

At 15:09 20/02/2021 -0800, Nobody Noname wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>The (Excel) file is the draft for the preparation of a
>>questionnaire - to be translated into several languages (although
>>the one I am currently working on has only 3 languages). Means: I
>>want certain columns ONLY to be set to German, while others next to
>>it are set to English and Japanese. Applying the language to the
>>entire document does not do this trick.
>
>I did a little test and was able to reproduce your problem with the
>Column > Format Cells > Font > Polish (which is just the test
>language I used). I could reproduce the problem when working with
>the document as an .xlsx or .xls file, but the problem does NOT
>exist when I used a .ods file. So the issue seems to be specific to
>LibreOffice operating with Excel files. You might want to report it
>as a bug: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport

Sorry, but you are assuming that this is a problem with LibreOffice's
ability to save in a Microsoft Excel format, and that the fault is
therefore LibreOffice's. But do we know that it is possible to save a
spreadsheet document in Excel format with different columns marked as
being in different languages? That's the same question, effectively,
as "Can you set different languages for different parts of a
spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel itself?" I don't know that you can. If
not, the deficiency is with Microsoft's formats, and the bug report
should probably go to them instead.

Brian Barker  


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 00:40:56 +0000
Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 15:09 20/02/2021 -0800, Nobody Noname wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:  
> >>The (Excel) file is the draft for the preparation of a
> >>questionnaire - to be translated into several languages (although
> >>the one I am currently working on has only 3 languages). Means: I
> >>want certain columns ONLY to be set to German, while others next to
> >>it are set to English and Japanese. Applying the language to the
> >>entire document does not do this trick.  
> >
> >I did a little test and was able to reproduce your problem with the
> >Column > Format Cells > Font > Polish (which is just the test
> >language I used). I could reproduce the problem when working with
> >the document as an .xlsx or .xls file, but the problem does NOT
> >exist when I used a .ods file. So the issue seems to be specific to
> >LibreOffice operating with Excel files. You might want to report it
> >as a bug: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport 
>
> Sorry, but you are assuming that this is a problem with LibreOffice's
> ability to save in a Microsoft Excel format, and that the fault is
> therefore LibreOffice's. But do we know that it is possible to save a
> spreadsheet document in Excel format with different columns marked as
> being in different languages? That's the same question, effectively,
> as "Can you set different languages for different parts of a
> spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel itself?" I don't know that you can. If
> not, the deficiency is with Microsoft's formats, and the bug report
> should probably go to them instead.
>
> Brian Barker  

Apparently it is possible,since the OP originally stated:

"The original file is so formatted that there are font settings for
English and Japanese.
When I work at home (right now) I select the relevant columns and
change the language setting to German."

For that to be the case, the original file must encode the language for
individual columns.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Howard Barr-4 Howard Barr-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

Hi, I have been using English and Japanese both in msexcel and LO calc for
many years.
I receive an excel file and then make a duplicate. When I want to send a
draft, I save it as an excel file and send it to the editor.
I sometimes have problems when special characters are used.

   I use the the input method frameworks fcitx and ibus. It allows me to
flip between languages in any document.
Libreoffice Version: 6.4.6.2 on Linux mint 20.0
and Language settings > languages>Default language for documents> Western
-Default: English. Asian: Japanese

Hope this helps.




On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 18:22, Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 00:40:56 +0000
> Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > At 15:09 20/02/2021 -0800, Nobody Noname wrote:
> > >On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> > >>The (Excel) file is the draft for the preparation of a
> > >>questionnaire - to be translated into several languages (although
> > >>the one I am currently working on has only 3 languages). Means: I
> > >>want certain columns ONLY to be set to German, while others next to
> > >>it are set to English and Japanese. Applying the language to the
> > >>entire document does not do this trick.
> > >
> > >I did a little test and was able to reproduce your problem with the
> > >Column > Format Cells > Font > Polish (which is just the test
> > >language I used). I could reproduce the problem when working with
> > >the document as an .xlsx or .xls file, but the problem does NOT
> > >exist when I used a .ods file. So the issue seems to be specific to
> > >LibreOffice operating with Excel files. You might want to report it
> > >as a bug: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport
> >
> > Sorry, but you are assuming that this is a problem with LibreOffice's
> > ability to save in a Microsoft Excel format, and that the fault is
> > therefore LibreOffice's. But do we know that it is possible to save a
> > spreadsheet document in Excel format with different columns marked as
> > being in different languages? That's the same question, effectively,
> > as "Can you set different languages for different parts of a
> > spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel itself?" I don't know that you can. If
> > not, the deficiency is with Microsoft's formats, and the bug report
> > should probably go to them instead.
> >
> > Brian Barker
>
> Apparently it is possible,since the OP originally stated:
>
> "The original file is so formatted that there are font settings for
> English and Japanese.
> When I work at home (right now) I select the relevant columns and
> change the language setting to German."
>
> For that to be the case, the original file must encode the language for
> individual columns.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

In reply to this post by Dave Howorth
At 09:19 21/02/2021 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
>Apparently it is possible,since the OP originally stated:
>
>"The original file is so formatted that there are font settings for
>English and Japanese.
>When I work at home (right now) I select the relevant columns and
>change the language setting to German."
>
>For that to be the case, the original file must encode the language
>for individual columns.

I think not. The questioner can change the language setting *in
LibreOffice* for part of the spreadsheet document, because
LibreOffice provides this facility. When you are editing a document
file, you get the facilities the application provides,
notwithstanding whether these can be saved in any chosen format -
even the existing one. If the questioner then saves his work in .ods
format (as he apparently now is doing), all would be well. But if he
saves it back into an Excel format, the change gets lost, even when
the document is reopened in LibreOffice. Yes: that could be a
deficiency of LibreOffice's ability to save into Excel formats, but
may instead be a deficiency in the Excel format itself. I have not
been able to rule out the latter.

The test, of course, is if someone can find instructions for doing
this *in Microsoft Excel itself* or can find or produce a document
file in Excel format which shows different language settings.

Brian Barker  


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language setting in Calc

In reply to this post by Howard Barr-4
At 20:35 21/02/2021 +0900, Howard Barr wrote:
>I have been using English and Japanese both in msexcel and LO calc
>for many years. I receive an excel file and then make a duplicate.
>When I want to send a draft, I save it as an excel file and send it
>to the editor. I sometimes have problems when special characters are used.
>
>I use the input method frameworks fcitx and ibus. It allows me to
>flip between languages in any document. Libreoffice Version: 6.4.6.2
>on Linux mint 20.0 and Language settings > languages > Default
>language for documents > Western -Default: English. Asian: Japanese

I think you are at cross--purposes here. Yes, the questioner can
enter English and Japanese text into different parts of a spreadsheet
document; indeed, that is how the Excel-formatted documents arrive
with him. He needs to add German, and I'm sure he can do this -
umlauts and eszetts and all. So the fonts are OK. But what he would
like is to keep the *language* settings for English and German
applied to different columns - presumably so that the German text
doesn't get marked as English misspellings! That works in
LibreOffice, but gets lost when resaved into an Excel format.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy