LibO North American group

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

LibO North American group

Thought is safer to have this on it's own discussion rather than hijacking
the mktg conference call.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

James Walker James Walker

Re: LibO North American group

As I said I am all for this,  Any suggestions on where to start.

James Walker

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Tue Oct 12 2010 09:37:22 GMT-0700 (PDT)  James Walker wrote:

> As I said I am all for this,  Any suggestions on where to start.
>
> James Walker
>

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thought is safer to have this on it's own discussion rather than hijacking
>> the mktg conference call.

Drew,

Do we need to change the wiki?  NA instead of US?

Andy
(La Mesa, CA)

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

Re: LibO North American group

Thanks, Alexandro.

Two possible starting points: request a new mailing list, or create a wiki page.

Next step: brainstorm marketing activities and choose one or two to work on.

Drew's been leading this so far, so he'll have the most background and can share his thoughts on what's next, too.

-Ben

On Oct 12, 2010, at 12:37 PM, James Walker wrote:

> As I said I am all for this,  Any suggestions on where to start.
>
> James Walker
>

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thought is safer to have this on it's own discussion rather than hijacking
>> the mktg conference call.
>>
>> --
>> *Alexandro Colorado*
>> *OpenOffice.org* Español
>> http://es.openoffice.org

>> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> deleted.

> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted.

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

drewjensen drewjensen

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 09:42 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:

> Drew,
>
> Do we need to change the wiki?  NA instead of US?

hmm - didn't realize there was anything on the wiki to change on this
yet..did I miss a page going up?

LOL - did I make something?

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 12:43 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> Thanks, Alexandro.
>
> Two possible starting points: request a new mailing list, or create a wiki page.
>
> Next step: brainstorm marketing activities and choose one or two to work on.
>
> Drew's been leading this so far, so he'll have the most background and can share his thoughts on what's next, too.
>
> -Ben

Operative word there is "so far"...just trying to prime the pump.

I did ask for a mailing list, but given that the wiki is up (didn't
quite expect that)...maybe that isn't needed or maybe just a generic
Events ML makes more sense. Opinions?

Make use the wiki for sure? Absolutely.

Finally - there is an iron in the fire already - but sine it involves
another organization and isn't quite finalized yet, it's a bit premature
to make a public announcement I think.

I'll send one more email to the list that was assembled, adding the new
names to it today - touch base with the steering committee, after some
feedback from that email and see about getting to the spot where we can
start planning this in the open, in the next couple of days.

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: LibO North American group

Hello everyone,

Le Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:55:53 -0400,
Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 12:43 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> > Thanks, Alexandro.
> >
> > Two possible starting points: request a new mailing list, or create
> > a wiki page.
> >
> > Next step: brainstorm marketing activities and choose one or two to
> > work on.
> >
> > Drew's been leading this so far, so he'll have the most background
> > and can share his thoughts on what's next, too.
> >
> > -Ben
>
> Operative word there is "so far"...just trying to prime the pump.
>
> I did ask for a mailing list, but given that the wiki is up (didn't
> quite expect that)...maybe that isn't needed or maybe just a generic
> Events ML makes more sense. Opinions?
>
> Make use the wiki for sure? Absolutely.
>
> Finally - there is an iron in the fire already - but sine it involves
> another organization and isn't quite finalized yet, it's a bit
> premature to make a public announcement I think.
>
> I'll send one more email to the list that was assembled, adding the
> new names to it today - touch base with the steering committee, after
> some feedback from that email and see about getting to the spot where
> we can start planning this in the open, in the next couple of days.

We can also set up a mailing list, sorry we've been a bit messy on that
(next time request a wiki and we'll get you a mailing list :p)

As a side note, I would rather like to see one specific group for the
US market, because we've always been very, very weak there, even if it
means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but I'm just a
lousy European, so don't take my advice as an educated guess..

Best

Charles.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-12 13:07, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>

> Le Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:55:53 -0400,
> Drew Jensen<[hidden email]>  a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 12:43 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
>>> Thanks, Alexandro.
>>>
>>> Two possible starting points: request a new mailing list, or create
>>> a wiki page.
>>>
>>> Next step: brainstorm marketing activities and choose one or two to
>>> work on.
>>>
>>> Drew's been leading this so far, so he'll have the most background
>>> and can share his thoughts on what's next, too.
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>
>> Operative word there is "so far"...just trying to prime the pump.
>>
>> I did ask for a mailing list, but given that the wiki is up (didn't
>> quite expect that)...maybe that isn't needed or maybe just a generic
>> Events ML makes more sense. Opinions?
>>
>> Make use the wiki for sure? Absolutely.
>>
>> Finally - there is an iron in the fire already - but sine it involves
>> another organization and isn't quite finalized yet, it's a bit
>> premature to make a public announcement I think.
>>
>> I'll send one more email to the list that was assembled, adding the
>> new names to it today - touch base with the steering committee, after
>> some feedback from that email and see about getting to the spot where
>> we can start planning this in the open, in the next couple of days.
>

> We can also set up a mailing list, sorry we've been a bit messy on that
> (next time request a wiki and we'll get you a mailing list :p)
>
> As a side note, I would rather like to see one specific group for the
> US market, because we've always been very, very weak there, even if it
> means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but I'm just a
> lousy European, so don't take my advice as an educated guess..
>
> Best
>
> Charles.
>

>> Drew

Hi Charles:

Maybe if we combined to start off as we are only 43 million people in
Canada, pretty small compared to US and the sharing of marketing
materials may make more sense with us. We can maybe split off later as
we gain more tools/resources. We Canadians would be starting literally
from point zero.

Anyone from Mexico for an opinion? Was there a Mexican OpenOffice.org group?

Marc

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2010-10-12 19.07:
> We can also set up a mailing list, sorry we've been a bit messy on that
> (next time request a wiki and we'll get you a mailing list :p)
>
> As a side note, I would rather like to see one specific group for the
> US market, because we've always been very, very weak there, even if it
> means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but I'm just a
> lousy European, so don't take my advice as an educated guess..

I will take care of a list tomorrow or so.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 2010-10-12 13:07, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
>
>  Hello everyone,
>>

>> Le Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:55:53 -0400,
>> Drew Jensen<[hidden email]>  a écrit :

>>> Operative word there is "so far"...just trying to prime the pump.
>>>
>>> I did ask for a mailing list, but given that the wiki is up (didn't
>>> quite expect that)...maybe that isn't needed or maybe just a generic
>>> Events ML makes more sense. Opinions?
>>>
>>> Make use the wiki for sure? Absolutely.
>>>
>>> Finally - there is an iron in the fire already - but sine it involves
>>> another organization and isn't quite finalized yet, it's a bit
>>> premature to make a public announcement I think.
>>>
>>> I'll send one more email to the list that was assembled, adding the
>>> new names to it today - touch base with the steering committee, after
>>> some feedback from that email and see about getting to the spot where
>>> we can start planning this in the open, in the next couple of days.
>>>

>> We can also set up a mailing list, sorry we've been a bit messy on that
>> (next time request a wiki and we'll get you a mailing list :p)
>>
>> As a side note, I would rather like to see one specific group for the
>> US market, because we've always been very, very weak there, even if it
>> means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but I'm just a
>> lousy European, so don't take my advice as an educated guess..
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Charles.
>>

>>> Drew
>>>

> Hi Charles:
>
> Maybe if we combined to start off as we are only 43 million people in
> Canada, pretty small compared to US and the sharing of marketing materials
> may make more sense with us. We can maybe split off later as we gain more
> tools/resources. We Canadians would be starting literally from point zero.
>
> Anyone from Mexico for an opinion? Was there a Mexican OpenOffice.org
> group?

No there wasn't, there is a Spanish OOo that cover the Spanish speaking
countries, however the idea is to basically have more speakers and people
that can go to the US (or Canada) and give a presentation or speak about the
product or provide other services. Also US has a huge Spanish market on
certain areas like Florida, Texas and California.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibO North American group

> No there wasn't, there is a Spanish OOo that cover the Spanish speaking
> countries, however the idea is to basically have more speakers and people
> that can go to the US (or Canada) and give a presentation or speak about the
> product or provide other services. Also US has a huge Spanish market on
> certain areas like Florida, Texas and California.
>

>> Marc

Thanks Alexandro.

The same could be said of Canada with English and French, although not
as huge of a market obviously.

So, should we pool our resources for now, just to start? It looks like
Florian is ready to move on the mailist etc.

Marc

James Walker James Walker

Re: LibO North American group

I think pooling our resources for now would be the smart move, if the group
gets big enough to warrant seperating then we can do that later.

James

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Tue Oct 12 2010 09:48:14 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Drew Jensen wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 09:42 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
>> Drew,
>>
>> Do we need to change the wiki?  NA instead of US?
>
> hmm - didn't realize there was anything on the wiki to change on this
> yet..did I miss a page going up?
>

> LOL - did I make something?

I guess that I am not one missing something.  I though you had started
an page for US/Marketing.  Sorry.

Andy

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

On 10/12/2010 05:07 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> I would rather like to see one specific group for the US market ...  even if it means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but
I'm just a lousy European,

How about creating one group for North America: Saint-Pierre and
Miquelon, Canada, United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean countries
other than Cuba until there are enough people in a country for it to be
self-sustaining.

The United States has Byzantine laws, when it comes to Cuba.

I am assuming that the Saint-Pierre and Miquelon marketing team would
benefit more from being part of the Canadian marketing team, than it
would be from being part of the French marketing team.

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM, jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/12/2010 05:07 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
>
> > I would rather like to see one specific group for the US market ...  even
> if it means have another group for Mexico and one for Canada, but
> I'm just a lousy European,
>
> How about creating one group for North America: Saint-Pierre and
> Miquelon, Canada, United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean countries
> other than Cuba until there are enough people in a country for it to be
> self-sustaining.
>
> The United States has Byzantine laws, when it comes to Cuba.

That is another benefit of being a foundation and NOT part of a US company,
we don't care about US law and can interact with Cuba as well with any other
country.

> I am assuming that the Saint-Pierre and Miquelon marketing team would
> benefit more from being part of the Canadian marketing team, than it
> would be from being part of the French marketing team.

How many people are participating in the community from those places at the
moment?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español