LibO Slogan

Next » 12
marcpare4 marcpare4

LibO Slogan

There was some bantering back and forth a while ago with different
words. Should we develop a slogan for LibO? Should we develop a
different slogan for each language or have a translation of one slogan
for languages?

Here are a few of my suggestions:

"LibreOffice, a suite deal."
"Memories brought to you by LibreOffice"
"Take note, with LibreOffice."
"Penmanship begins with LibreOffice."
"There was the calamus, the ballpoint pen. LibreOffice, the evolution
continues."
"LibreOffice, your creation, your company, your trust."
"LibreOffice ... we are all free to live."
"LibreOffice, we dared and we conquered."
"We conquered space, we created LibreOffice. Dare to imagine and you
will succeed"

Marc

Brenden Seibel-2 Brenden Seibel-2

FW: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO Slogan

I like this one.

"LibreOffice ... we are all free to live."

Or maybe even better in English:

LibreOffice ... Free to Live!

Or in Spanish:

LibreOffice ... Libertad para Vivir!

Brenden Seibel-2 Brenden Seibel-2

RE: LibO Slogan

One second though,
Maybe better for the English version

LibreOffice ... Freedom to Live!

????

Brenden Seibel-2 Brenden Seibel-2

RE: LibO Slogan

One slogan, loosely translated into languages, would seem best to me. In other words, not a literal translation, but same idea translated.

_____________________________________

drewjensen drewjensen

RE: LibO Slogan

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 16:41 +0000, Brenden Seibel wrote:
> One slogan, loosely translated into languages, would seem best to me.
> In other words, not a literal translation, but same idea translated.

Would seem to make sense - I was doodling with ideas over this last
weekend also and "Liberate Your Life" came to mind. I used it in a first
draft for a poster

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/miss-liberty-backgrounds

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

Re: LibO Slogan

Hi Drew,

2010/11/11 Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 16:41 +0000, Brenden Seibel wrote:
>> One slogan, loosely translated into languages, would seem best to me.
>> In other words, not a literal translation, but same idea translated.
>
> Would seem to make sense - I was doodling with ideas over this last
> weekend also and "Liberate Your Life" came to mind. I used it in a first
> draft for a poster
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/miss-liberty-backgrounds

Somewhat nice idea, but may I remind you to obey the branding rules:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

Thx

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Re: LibO Slogan

Le 2010-11-11 10:36, Marc Paré a écrit :

> There was some bantering back and forth a while ago with different
> words. Should we develop a slogan for LibO? Should we develop a
> different slogan for each language or have a translation of one slogan
> for languages?
>
> Here are a few of my suggestions:
>
> "LibreOffice, a suite deal."
> "Memories brought to you by LibreOffice"
> "Take note, with LibreOffice."
> "Penmanship begins with LibreOffice."
> "There was the calamus, the ballpoint pen. LibreOffice, the evolution
> continues."
> "LibreOffice, your creation, your company, your trust."
> "LibreOffice ... we are all free to live."
> "LibreOffice, we dared and we conquered."
> "We conquered space, we created LibreOffice. Dare to imagine and you
> will succeed"
>
> Marc

Some nice ideas.
I think the main slogan should remind people that LibreOffice is a
series of programs that help one to write, draw, calculate... Maybe I am
paranoid, but I think we should avoid: names that remind one of
competitive software. So I would not recommend:
– Take note... because of OneNote and Lotus Notes
– We conquered space... too far away

I like:
– LibreOffice, a suite deal
– With LibreOffice, you really are in control of your documents (i.e.
reference to open file formats)
– LibreOffice: your documents, you're in control!

In French, these would work, depending on how much text we want:
– LibreOffice, une suite qui a de la classe
– Avec LibreOffice, vous avez plein contrôle, jusqu'au bout !
– LibreOffice vous permet d'être maître de vos documents !

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: LibO Slogan

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 20:53 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
> Somewhat nice idea, but may I remind you to obey the branding rules:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

sure - that is part of why I placed it up here - do you think it fails?

How could I make it pass - or you just want to see draft 2 and see if it
is closer?

Thanks

drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
bedipp bedipp

Re: LibO Slogan

Hi Marc, all,

this topic is one I like very much :-)

A few years back we had a similar activity in the OOo marketing project
with lots of proposals, a voting and finally one official slogan
(positioner) for OpenOffice.org. ("Open. For Business")
(Search the OOo marketing list archive for "positioner")

Marc Paré schrieb:
> There was some bantering back and forth a while ago with different
> words. Should we develop a slogan for LibO?

Definitively yes!

> Should we develop a
> different slogan for each language or have a translation of one slogan
> for languages?

Most of the slogans don't translate easily. But we should try to find a
common central conclusion.

> Here are a few of my suggestions:
>
> "LibreOffice, a suite deal."
> "Memories brought to you by LibreOffice"
> "Take note, with LibreOffice."
> "Penmanship begins with LibreOffice."
> "There was the calamus, the ballpoint pen. LibreOffice, the evolution
> continues."
> "LibreOffice, your creation, your company, your trust."
> "LibreOffice ... we are all free to live."
> "LibreOffice, we dared and we conquered."
> "We conquered space, we created LibreOffice. Dare to imagine and you
> will succeed"
>
> Marc

Would you mind to position them on a new wiki page?

As the list will probably become longer, it might be problematical to
work on them here at the list.

Best regards

Bernhard

bedipp bedipp

Re: LibO Slogan

Drew Jensen schrieb:
> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 20:53 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
>> Somewhat nice idea, but may I remind you to obey the branding rules:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
>
> sure - that is part of why I placed it up here - do you think it fails?
>
> How could I make it pass - or you just want to see draft 2 and see if it
> is closer?

... wrong font (Didn't you mention you used the SVG source of the logo?)

... wrong aspect ratio (probably related to the point above)

... bold "Office" part

... dark background

Please have a look at the "Guidelines and Best Practices" areas on the
wiki page:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_2

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_3

As these rules are not carved in stone, they might be adjusted if
reasonable / necessary.

Best regards

Bernhard

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: LibO Slogan

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 01:16 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> Drew Jensen schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 20:53 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
> >> Somewhat nice idea, but may I remind you to obey the branding rules:
> >> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
> >
> > sure - that is part of why I placed it up here - do you think it fails?
> >
> > How could I make it pass - or you just want to see draft 2 and see if it
> > is closer?
> >
> ... wrong font (Didn't you mention you used the SVG source of the logo?)
Yup that is it, it is directly from the logo.

> ... wrong aspect ratio (probably related to the point above)
This is the problem - I didn't take the time to qualify the ratio, just
pulled it out for a basic layout pass.

> ... bold "Office" part
hmm - yes noticed that, I think the svg file is out of date on
that..isn't it? I figured the one I was using form the wiki currently
was, so didn't really sweat it yet.

> ... dark background

Yes - it is, but surely we aren't going to pass on all dark backgrounds-
I can use the white out logo but it really doesn't come across as well,
IMO in a big way - still I can put one together and put it up to compare
against. I also have a second background that might work for the event,
it has a better local tie, but the Statue of Liberty (even the iconic
tourist novelty rendition) is a very powerful image for the USA.

Also, I faux lightened the background with a transparency overlay - but
that is a terrible solution I think, so for a next pass would play a bit
with lightning the background image a bit and lose the added layer.

> Please have a look at the "Guidelines and Best Practices" areas on the
> wiki page:

I have, and will again. I sure appreciate everyones feed back or if
anyone has some great tip to give given the subject (dark background)
matter I'm really open to hearing it.

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_2
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_3
>
> As these rules are not carved in stone, they might be adjusted if
> reasonable / necessary.

later then,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

Re: LibO Slogan

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 19:39 -0500, Drew Jensen wrote:
> ... dark background
>
> Yes - it is, but surely we aren't going to pass on all dark
> backgrounds-
> I can use the white out logo but it really doesn't come across as
> well,
> IMO in a big way

Then again if I put the whole logo in place

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Miss-liberty-2.png

that's not bad.

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Lucas Filho Lucas Filho

Res: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO Slogan

I think the picture with a lot of "fantasy".

In this link we have very interesting pictures of the Statue of Liberty that can
be used freely (please see details for each image you will use).

Link: http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=search&w=1&txt=Statue+of+Liberty&p=1

Até mais,
Lucas Filho
Open-Ce Tecnologias e Serviços
http://www.open-ce.com.br
::@strogildo - Educação a distância
http://astrogildo.blogspot.com
Coordenador Estadual GUBRO-Ceará
http://www.broffice.org/gubro-ce

Blog Pessoal
http://lucasfilho.blogspot.com

Agradecemos a Deus por tudo

Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 11 de Novembro de 2010 21:39:26
Assunto: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO Slogan

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 01:16 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> Drew Jensen schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 20:53 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
> >> Somewhat nice idea, but may I remind you to obey the branding rules:
> >> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
> >
> > sure - that is part of why I placed it up here - do you think it fails?
> >
> > How could I make it pass - or you just want to see draft 2 and see if it
> > is closer?
> >
> ... wrong font (Didn't you mention you used the SVG source of the logo?)
Yup that is it, it is directly from the logo.

> ... wrong aspect ratio (probably related to the point above)
This is the problem - I didn't take the time to qualify the ratio, just
pulled it out for a basic layout pass.

> ... bold "Office" part
hmm - yes noticed that, I think the svg file is out of date on
that..isn't it? I figured the one I was using form the wiki currently
was, so didn't really sweat it yet.

> ... dark background

Yes - it is, but surely we aren't going to pass on all dark backgrounds-
I can use the white out logo but it really doesn't come across as well,
IMO in a big way - still I can put one together and put it up to compare
against. I also have a second background that might work for the event,
it has a better local tie, but the Statue of Liberty (even the iconic
tourist novelty rendition) is a very powerful image for the USA.

Also, I faux lightened the background with a transparency overlay - but
that is a terrible solution I think, so for a next pass would play a bit
with lightning the background image a bit and lose the added layer.

> Please have a look at the "Guidelines and Best Practices" areas on the
> wiki page:

I have, and will again. I sure appreciate everyones feed back or if
anyone has some great tip to give given the subject (dark background)
matter I'm really open to hearing it.

>http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_2
>2
>
>http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices_3
>3
>
> As these rules are not carved in stone, they might be adjusted if
> reasonable / necessary.

later then,

Drew

deleted

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO Slogan

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 19:06 -0800, Lucas Filho wrote:
> In this link we have very interesting pictures of the Statue of
> Liberty that can
> be used freely (please see details for each image you will use).
>
> Link: http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=search&w=1&txt=Statue+of
> +Liberty&p=1

Thanks Lucas,

I will look those over.

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

Re: LibO Slogan

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 21:26 -0500, Drew Jensen wrote:
> Then again if I put the whole logo in place
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Miss-liberty-2.png
>
> that's not bad.

and here is the alternative background I was thinking of.
http://oucv.org/libreoffice/scale-9x-griffith-poster-2.png

(That is a shot of Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory)

The background image is from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevercoolinschool/2785475907/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibO Slogan

Le 2010-11-11 23:07, Drew Jensen a écrit :

> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 21:26 -0500, Drew Jensen wrote:
>> Then again if I put the whole logo in place
>>
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Miss-liberty-2.png
>>
>> that's not bad.
>
> and here is the alternative background I was thinking of.
> http://oucv.org/libreoffice/scale-9x-griffith-poster-2.png
>
> (That is a shot of Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory)
>
> The background image is from
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevercoolinschool/2785475907/sizes/l/in/photostream/
>

> Thanks
>
> Drew

Hi Drew:

Nice! I like this one better. I wonder if the Southern California people
would have a better reception to this background rather than the NY
Statue of Liberty. Usually, geographic areas have unspoken competition
issues with other geographic areas Southern California vs NY. Or am I wrong?

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: LibO Slogan

Hi, :-)

"Do what you want"

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibO Slogan

Le 2010-11-11 15:34, Michel Gagnon a écrit :

> Some nice ideas.
> I think the main slogan should remind people that LibreOffice is a
> series of programs that help one to write, draw, calculate... Maybe I am
> paranoid, but I think we should avoid: names that remind one of
> competitive software.

Agree strongly. As well, avoid any negatives.

So I would not recommend:
> – Take note... because of OneNote and Lotus Notes

I had not thought of notes this way but yes.

> – We conquered space... too far away

Play on words ... not spatial space. LOL

> I like:
> – LibreOffice, a suite deal
> – With LibreOffice, you really are in control of your documents (i.e.
> reference to open file formats)
> – LibreOffice: your documents, you're in control!
>
> In French, these would work, depending on how much text we want:
> – LibreOffice, une suite qui a de la classe

Also: LibreOffice, toute suite!"

> – Avec LibreOffice, vous avez plein contrôle, jusqu'au bout !
> – LibreOffice vous permet d'être maître de vos documents !

Merci

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibO Slogan

Le 2010-11-11 11:41, Brenden Seibel a écrit :
> One slogan, loosely translated into languages, would seem best to me. In other words, not a literal translation, but same idea translated.

Thanks I have added this to the wiki page that I am creating for LibO
Slogans.

Marc

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: LibO Slogan