LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

sun shine sun shine

LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

Hi all

Have just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Version: 6.1.0.3 for
Linux Mint 19 ('Tara').

First off, thanks to all of the developers and team of geniuses who put
this great piece of software together and keep pushing its quality to
ever greater heights. As always, the new install works smoothly, and the
new interface is looking great.

I did notice that there is no longer an option to enable the
Quick-starter (in fact, there's now no longer any 'memory' menu option
under 'options' within which to enable the Quick-starter). I don't know
if this is a feature or a bug from a development perspective, but from a
user perspective, it is a bug: I used to use it all of the time and
found myself missing it immediately.

Is there any likelihood in the future to bring this option back? Or, is
there something in one of the config files I might be able to hack as a
work around?

Anyway, thanks again to all involved. Great stuff and as always, I am
very pleased my donations are being put to such a good investment.

Best wishes

Andrew

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 10:04 skrev Andrew <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all
>
> Have just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Version: 6.1.0.3 for
> Linux Mint 19 ('Tara').
>
> First off, thanks to all of the developers and team of geniuses who put
> this great piece of software together and keep pushing its quality to
> ever greater heights. As always, the new install works smoothly, and the
> new interface is looking great.
>
> I did notice that there is no longer an option to enable the
> Quick-starter (in fact, there's now no longer any 'memory' menu option
> under 'options' within which to enable the Quick-starter). I don't know
> if this is a feature or a bug from a development perspective, but from a
> user perspective, it is a bug: I used to use it all of the time and
> found myself missing it immediately.
>
> Is there any likelihood in the future to bring this option back? Or, is
> there something in one of the config files I might be able to hack as a
> work around?
>
> Anyway, thanks again to all involved. Great stuff and as always, I am
> very pleased my donations are being put to such a good investment.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Andrew

Andrew, wouldn't it suffice for your purposes to pin the LibreOffice
icon(s) to the panel on LM (right click the icon desired in the meny and
choose the option «Pin to the panel») ? I'm using the same version of LMyou
do (but LO 6.0.6.2 rather than 6.1.0.3 - still waiting for the pre-release
PPA to kick in) and it works very well for me....

Henri

sun shine sun shine

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

On 10/08/18 09:37, M Henri Day wrote:

> Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 10:04 skrev Andrew <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi all
>
>     Have just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Version: 6.1.0.3 for
>     Linux Mint 19 ('Tara').
>
>     First off, thanks to all of the developers and team of geniuses
>     who put
>     this great piece of software together and keep pushing its quality to
>     ever greater heights. As always, the new install works smoothly,
>     and the
>     new interface is looking great.
>
>     I did notice that there is no longer an option to enable the
>     Quick-starter (in fact, there's now no longer any 'memory' menu
>     option
>     under 'options' within which to enable the Quick-starter). I don't
>     know
>     if this is a feature or a bug from a development perspective, but
>     from a
>     user perspective, it is a bug: I used to use it all of the time and
>     found myself missing it immediately.
>
>     Is there any likelihood in the future to bring this option back?
>     Or, is
>     there something in one of the config files I might be able to hack
>     as a
>     work around?
>
>     Anyway, thanks again to all involved. Great stuff and as always, I am
>     very pleased my donations are being put to such a good investment.
>
>     Best wishes
>
>     Andrew
>

> Andrew, wouldn't it suffice for your purposes to pin the LibreOffice
> icon(s) to the panel on LM (right click the icon desired in the meny
> and choose the option «Pin to the panel») ? I'm using the same version
> of LMyou do (but LO 6.0.6.2 rather than 6.1.0.3 - still waiting for
> the pre-release PPA to kick in) and it works very well for me....
>
> Henri

Hi Henri

Thanks for the reply.

I have a series of 'drawers' in a side panel, into which I have pinned
the LibO app launcher, so that enables me to launch the whole suite.
What I like(d) about the Quick-starter was being able to right click it
and to select the specific application (e.g., calc, impress, etc.) that
I wanted to use rather than to pin a set of specific app launchers to my
panel.

I agree though that that will be an option if the development decision
is to deprecate the use of the Quick-starter, although I hope they
don't! :-)

BTW - in using the PPA, when you update, does it automatically remove
the old version of LibO prior to installing the new, and does it install
the three packages in the correct sequence? I guess it does, but I've
always been wary of that so have traditionally always done it manually
via synaptic to remove the previous install and then dpkg -i to install
the new packages.

Thanks again

Andrew

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 10:44 skrev Andrew <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> the LibO app launcher, so that enables me to launch the whole suite.
> What I like(d) about the Quick-starter was being able to right click it
> and to select the specific application (e.g., calc, impress, etc.) that
> I wanted to use rather than to pin a set of specific app launchers to my
> panel.
>
> I agree though that that will be an option if the development decision
> is to deprecate the use of the Quick-starter, although I hope they
> don't! :-)
>
> BTW - in using the PPA, when you update, does it automatically remove
> the old version of LibO prior to installing the new, and does it install
> the three packages in the correct sequence? I guess it does, but I've
> always been wary of that so have traditionally always done it manually
> via synaptic to remove the previous install and then dpkg -i to install

Thanks for your speedy reply, Andrew ! Currently I have three LO icons on
my panel - the generic LO, Writer, and Calc, respectively, corresponding to
the services I most often use. Clicking the first-named opens a menu allows
me to choose from the other four services with a simple click, which I
presume serves the same function as the Quick-starter which you describe
above (I've never used it)....

From what you wrote above, I got the impression that the Quick-starter
option has been available to you in all LO versions previous to 6.1.0.3,
which surprised me, as on the 6.0.6..2 version I presntly have installed, I
don't see any «memory» option (I'm using the Swedish-language version, but
I doubt that it differs in this respect from the English-language version I
presume you use). After doing some searching, I've been given to understand
that it was deprecated quite some time ago, but that installing the
«libreoffice-systray» package would work. However, this alternative may
also have been deprecated, unfortunatelyI haven't a clue....

With regard to the pre-release PPA, in my experience it installs the new
version over the older one. It works very well, - which hasn't always been
the case when I've manually installed a pre-release version from the LO
website - the only problem is that I often have to wait a short while
before the PPA becomes available to me. Thus, for example, version 6.1.0.3
was successfully added to the PPA some three days ago, but it still hasn't
appeared on my Update Manager. However, I regard waiting a few extra days
for it to come as a small price to pay for the convenience and reliability
it hitherto has offered me....

Henri

sun shine sun shine

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

On 10/08/18 10:22, M Henri Day wrote:

> [...]
> searching, I've been given to understand that it was deprecated quite
> some time ago, but that installing the «libreoffice-systray» package
> would work. However, this alternative may also have been deprecated,
> unfortunatelyI haven't a clue....
>
> With regard to the pre-release PPA, in my experience it installs the
> new version over the older one. It works very well, - which hasn't
> always been the case when I've manually installed a pre-release
> version from the LO website - the only problem is that I often have to
> wait a short while before the PPA becomes available to me. Thus, for
> example, version 6.1.0.3 was successfully added to the PPA some three
> days ago, but it still hasn't appeared on my Update Manager. However,
> I regard waiting a few extra days for it to come as a small price to
> pay for the convenience and reliability it hitherto has offered me....

Hi Henri

Thanks for the tip about libreoffice-systray. I've just installed it and
restarted LibO and still nothing ... and I cannot see anything on-line
about how to launch it. It is of course possible that all of the
libraries will be loaded next time I log back into my system, so that
test will have to wait a little.

I guess that because I hadn't noticed it being deprecated before was
because it was somehow 'magically' (?) operational and present in all
upgrades. I never really thought about it until it became evident due to
being absent.

In which case, I may have to take a leaf out of your book and just pin
the three or so most used applications and be done with it.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and help.

Best wishes

Andrew

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 11:46 skrev Andrew <[hidden email]>:

<snip>

> Thanks for your speedy reply, Andrew ! Currently I have three LO icons
> > on my panel - the generic LO, Writer, and Calc, respectively,
> > corresponding to the services I most often use. Clicking the
> > first-named opens a menu allows me to choose from the other four
> > services with a simple click, which I presume serves the same function
> > as the Quick-starter which you describe above (I've never used it)....
> >
> > From what you wrote above, I got the impression that the Quick-starter
> > option has been available to you in all LO versions previous to
> > 6.1.0.3, which surprised me, as on the 6.0.6..2 version I presntly
> > have installed, I don't see any «memory» option (I'm using the
> > Swedish-language version, but I doubt that it differs in this respect
> > from the English-language version I presume you use). After doing some
> > searching, I've been given to understand that it was deprecated quite
> > some time ago, but that installing the «libreoffice-systray» package
> > would work. However, this alternative may also have been deprecated,
> > unfortunatelyI haven't a clue....
> >
> > With regard to the pre-release PPA, in my experience it installs the
> > new version over the older one. It works very well, - which hasn't
> > always been the case when I've manually installed a pre-release
> > version from the LO website - the only problem is that I often have to
> > wait a short while before the PPA becomes available to me. Thus, for
> > example, version 6.1.0.3 was successfully added to the PPA some three
> > days ago, but it still hasn't appeared on my Update Manager. However,
> > I regard waiting a few extra days for it to come as a small price to
> > pay for the convenience and reliability it hitherto has offered me....
> >
> > Henri
>
> Hi Henri
>
> Thanks for the tip about libreoffice-systray. I've just installed it and
> restarted LibO and still nothing ... and I cannot see anything on-line
> about how to launch it. It is of course possible that all of the
> libraries will be loaded next time I log back into my system, so that
> test will have to wait a little.
>
> I guess that because I hadn't noticed it being deprecated before was
> because it was somehow 'magically' (?) operational and present in all
> upgrades. I never really thought about it until it became evident due to
> being absent.
>
> In which case, I may have to take a leaf out of your book and just pin
> the three or so most used applications and be done with it.
>
> Thanks very much for your suggestions and help.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Andrew

Hope pinning the most used LO applications resolves your problem !...

Henri

Jean-Baptiste Faure-3 Jean-Baptiste Faure-3

Re: LibO6.1 - no Quick-starter

Le 10/08/2018 à 10:03, Andrew a écrit :

> Hi all
>
> Have just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Version: 6.1.0.3 for
> Linux Mint 19 ('Tara').
>
> First off, thanks to all of the developers and team of geniuses who
> put this great piece of software together and keep pushing its quality
> to ever greater heights. As always, the new install works smoothly,
> and the new interface is looking great.
>
> I did notice that there is no longer an option to enable the
> Quick-starter

See
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.4#Feature_removal_.2F_deprecation

> (in fact, there's now no longer any 'memory' menu option under
> 'options' within which to enable the Quick-starter). I don't know if
> this is a feature or a bug from a development perspective, but from a
> user perspective, it is a bug: I used to use it all of the time and
> found myself missing it immediately.
Not a bug : https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110448

Best regards.
JBF

Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.