Libo Logos for third party sites

drewjensen drewjensen

Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi,

There was some discussion on the mailing lists about setting up a page
with an easy way for people to have access to a Libo Logo with a link
back to the site here.

One of the folks, Jeff Chimene, on the US Markting list setup an example
under his user account page at the wiki:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User_talk:JChimene

The idea is to dish up the graphic from the wiki server and of course
link back to the LibO site - the users simply copy/paste the HTML.

Only one graphic file, from the branding page, is distributed and the
html simply sets different sizes.

so a couple quick questions:

1) Dishing the graphic from our server, seems like a good idea to me,
but what do others think on this?

2) There will need to be some text about what you can and can't do -
could use some help on that.

Assuming the above are wrapped up then just need to pick a good page
location in the main wiki content area, IMO.

Thanks and looking forward to your input,

Drew

ps - I didn't do a copy to all the mailing lists I could think of that
might want to see this...but if you think it has to hit multiple lists
just forward it (or poke me :)

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Mikel Pascual Mikel Pascual

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

First of all, I'm not in charge of libreoffice-s server, but I hope I can
help with at least one of your concerns:

1) The image is almost always hosted in the referenced host (in this case,
libreoffice.org). That way, it's much simpler to embed and a single static
image shouldn't be a problem for any server. Also, anyone who wants to copy
the image and host it himself will know how to do that without any
explanation.

2) Sorry, I can't be of any help there. There's for sure much more qualified
people here.

Regards

drewjensen drewjensen

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 23:47 +0100, Mikel Pascual wrote:
> Also, anyone who wants to copy
> the image and host it himself will know how to do that without any
> explanation.

I agree, it is a mostly nicety in my mind.

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi drew,
Am 12.01.2011 19:31, schrieb drew:

> Hi,
>
> There was some discussion on the mailing lists about setting up a page
> with an easy way for people to have access to a Libo Logo with a link
> back to the site here.
> 1) Dishing the graphic from our server, seems like a good idea to me,
> but what do others think on this?
>
> 2) There will need to be some text about what you can and can't do -
> could use some help on that.
Thanks for starting this discussion. I would expand the theme a little bit.

On the german list we had a short discussion [1] about a website
offering LibreOffice [2] on DVD. There is no real name of the owner of
the website, no adress, no E-Mail, no notice, that it is a beta/rc
version only a link to thedocumentfoundation.org in the footer but not
to libreoffice.org.

We came together that there should be some voluntary agreements (va)
from members of LibreOffice.
For discussion on a va:
Such a website should content:
- The official LibO-Logo
- link to the LibO-Website (and TDF) not only in the footer
- imprint/impressum, with the name of the owner of the website
- no commercial with beta/rc or a special recognizable notice that it
isn't for producitve use

See one of Stefans E-Mails [3] to the discussion of a (not)
professionaly made website of a member of our community.

Greetings
k-j

[1] http://go.mail-archive.com/yZ6i9QFEZSeyjrEp9dpWqROzsJQ=
[2] http://www.libreofficedvd.info/libreOffice.html
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/marketing@.../msg01702.html

Dave Johnson Dave Johnson

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

what web page are you referring to?

Dave Johnson

drewjensen drewjensen

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:11 +0100, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol wrote:

> Hi drew,
> Am 12.01.2011 19:31, schrieb drew:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There was some discussion on the mailing lists about setting up a page
> > with an easy way for people to have access to a Libo Logo with a link
> > back to the site here.
> > 1) Dishing the graphic from our server, seems like a good idea to me,
> > but what do others think on this?
> >
> > 2) There will need to be some text about what you can and can't do -
> > could use some help on that.
> Thanks for starting this discussion. I would expand the theme a little bit.

Hi,

Actually I would really prefer if we did not.

A person suggested that we do what other projects for as long as I have
knows do - a simple little snippet of html that lets people, noobies
maybe, put a link to us from them - it's called link sharing and you
should be aware of it I would assume.

This person thought doing this should be an item for the SC to decide -
seemed silly to me.

Another person said, 10 minutes I have it done - great.

I then said well do it on your user space on the wiki, we will let folks
know about the coming update, and we most likely want to put a little
blurb of text as to what they should do, and folks can help put that
text together.

As for the little blurb on the pages - oh I don't know, how about:

"If you would like to help promote the LibreOffice project by displaying
our logo and a link to our site on your web site or blog that would be
great.

We ask that for the time being you do so by copy and then past of the
below html to your site unaltered. Thank you."

That was the extent of the theme of this email.

Honestly I can not think of a more innocuous subject here.

So please any comment on this very simple little item.

For the remainder of your email - a different email alright?

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi Drew,

drew wrote on 2011-01-12 19.31:

> One of the folks, Jeff Chimene, on the US Markting list setup an example
> under his user account page at the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User_talk:JChimene

good idea, indeed!

> The idea is to dish up the graphic from the wiki server and of course
> link back to the LibO site - the users simply copy/paste the HTML.

The wiki is always a bad idea to get images from. Links are neither
pretty, nor will they remain stable, and the wiki has some overhead.
Something at www.libreoffice.org itself would be much better, I guess,
for serving the files.

> 1) Dishing the graphic from our server, seems like a good idea to me,
> but what do others think on this?

Hm... that means we have to keep one link constant and some people might
also object to the trackability (http referer) this opens up. What do
others think?

> 2) There will need to be some text about what you can and can't do -
> could use some help on that.

We will publish a trademark policy draft soon to steering-discuss, maybe
it's worth waiting for it and see if it already clarifies things.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> drew wrote on 2011-01-12 19.31:
>
>> One of the folks, Jeff Chimene, on the US Markting list setup an example
>> under his user account page at the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User_talk:JChimene
>
> good idea, indeed!
>
>> The idea is to dish up the graphic from the wiki server and of course
>> link back to the LibO site - the users simply copy/paste the HTML.
>
> The wiki is always a bad idea to get images from. Links are neither pretty,
> nor will they remain stable, and the wiki has some overhead. Something at
> www.libreoffice.org itself would be much better, I guess, for serving the
> files.
>
>> 1) Dishing the graphic from our server, seems like a good idea to me,
>> but what do others think on this?
>
> Hm... that means we have to keep one link constant and some people might
> also object to the trackability (http referer) this opens up. What do others
> think?
>
>> 2) There will need to be some text about what you can and can't do -
>> could use some help on that.
>
> We will publish a trademark policy draft soon to steering-discuss, maybe
> it's worth waiting for it and see if it already clarifies things.
>
> Florian

I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
put on blogs or profiles.
This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of messages.

What do people think?

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi Michael, *,
Am 14.01.2011 09:58, schrieb Michael Wheatland:

> I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
> put on blogs or profiles.
> This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of messages.
>
> What do people think?

+1

--
Greetings
k-j

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael, *,
> Am 14.01.2011 09:58, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>>
>> I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
>> put on blogs or profiles.
>> This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of
>> messages.
>>
>> What do people think?
>>
> +1
>
> --
> Greetings
> k-j

Maybe something like this (Works on darker backgrounds, not so well on white):

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DEiZb4Onok5V78oNMZAAmw?feat=directlink

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi, :-)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 16:58, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
> put on blogs or profiles.
> This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of messages.

Sounds like a great sub-page to add under the About Us page, full of
the kind of content you've been mentioning in this thread.

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2011-01-14 03:58, Michael Wheatland a écrit :

> I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
> put on blogs or profiles.
> This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of messages.
>
> What do people think?

I agree with this. Obviously, the more we can offer to our supporters
the more we will be able to get free advertisement for our product. We
should really try to get this ready for the final release. Then we can
all actively promote this to newcomers to the suite.

Marc

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Le Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:06:10 +0100,
klaus-jürgen weghorn ol <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Michael, *,
> Am 14.01.2011 09:58, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
> >
> > I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
> > put on blogs or profiles.
> > This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of
> > messages.
> >
> > What do people think?
> >
> +1

+1 indeed. And one official logo for LibreOffice Volunteers :-)

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Membre du Comité exécutif

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:06:10 +0100,
> klaus-jürgen weghorn ol <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Michael, *,
>> Am 14.01.2011 09:58, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>> >
>> > I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
>> > put on blogs or profiles.
>> > This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of
>> > messages.
>> >
>> > What do people think?
>> >
>> +1
>>

> +1 indeed. And one official logo for LibreOffice Volunteers :-)

Great idea. That would be a real badge of honour.

Should we be adding these to the marketing/ideas page and getting the
design team in on this?

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi,

Le Sat, 15 Jan 2011 01:21:20 +0930,
Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Le Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:06:10 +0100,
> > klaus-jürgen weghorn ol <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi Michael, *,

> >> +1
> >>

> > +1 indeed. And one official logo for LibreOffice Volunteers :-)
>
> Great idea. That would be a real badge of honour.
>
> Should we be adding these to the marketing/ideas page and getting the
> design team in on this?

Yes. Also something of importance: we do as well need badges/banners for
everyone (literally everyone) with something like "FAN of LibreOffice"
with a distinctive (or somewhat different) logo and no Document
Foundation written on it. Something for people to put on blogs,
gravatars, pics, facebook, tweet profile pictures...

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Membre du Comité exécutif

bedipp bedipp

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi Michael, all

Michael Wheatland wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Michael, *,
> > Am 14.01.2011 09:58, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
> >>
> >> I think it would also be good to create some 'badges' for people to
> >> put on blogs or profiles.
> >> This might include an "I use LibreOffice" or "Join me..." type of
> >> messages.

We will have to provide such badges/buttons that show their support for LibreOffice.
The badges might contain the official logo if it is clear that this doesn't mean they
want to be considered as official partners or spokespeople for LibreOffice.

This is one of the tasks for the design team once we finished the MimeType icon work.

> Maybe something like this (Works on darker backgrounds, not so well on white):
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DEiZb4Onok5V78oNMZAAmw?feat=directlink

Please keep in mind the branding guideline [1]: Logo and symbol need much more
whitespace around them.

Best regards

Bernhard

[1]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Guidelines_and_Best_Practices

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Libo Logos for third party sites

Hi Bernhard, all!

Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 20:02 +0100 schrieb Dr. Bernhard Dippold:
[...]
> We will have to provide such badges/buttons that show their support for LibreOffice.
> The badges might contain the official logo if it is clear that this doesn't mean they
> want to be considered as official partners or spokespeople for LibreOffice.
>
> This is one of the tasks for the design team once we finished the MimeType icon work.

Sounds great!

> > Maybe something like this (Works on darker backgrounds, not so well on white):
> >
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DEiZb4Onok5V78oNMZAAmw?feat=directlink
>
> Please keep in mind the branding guideline [1]: Logo and symbol need much more
> whitespace around them.

Mmh, I thought a bit about that. The "badge" itself is usually separated
on pages having some own "margin" to other elements. Maybe we can reduce
the margins within the badge to efficiently use the space ... but in
this case, the borders and the background need to be (nearly) equally
colored.

Is that something that might work (asking you without providing a
demo-badge, sigh)?

Cheers,
Christoph