Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
charles meyer charles meyer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

My esteemed mates,



Excel seems to have a built-in flaw where if one cell gets too close to
another cell the cell with characters in it creates an extra line of space
under the line of characters.



Ex.  In an Excel cell …  The cell is getting too close

                                      ___________________________



Is there anyway to delete/remove/eliminate that extra space under
characters in a cell in Libre Calc?



Also, Excel does not allow you to change the case size after you’ve saved
the file. In Word, you can toggle among small case – initial caps - all
caps easily – but not in Excel.



Can you toggle among case sizes in Libre Calc?



Thank you!



Charles.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

At 12:04 04/09/2018 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
>Excel seems to have a built-in flaw ...

I'm not sure we discuss other providers' products here!

>... where if one cell gets too close to another cell ...

All cells in a spreadsheet abut all surrounding
cells. There is never any question about how
close they are: they are always completely close.

>Ex.  In an Excel cell …  The cell is getting too close
>
>                              ___________________________

Shall we talk about Calc? The only way this sort
of thing could happen, I think, is if the text in
the cell actually contains trailing spaces and
that the cell formatting is set to "Wrap text automatically".

>Is there anyway to delete/remove/eliminate that
>extra space under characters in a cell in Libre Calc?

Yes:
o Delete those rogue space characters (if you don't need them), or
o Change the font size, or
o Expand the column width appropriately.
o Merge cells appropriately.

>Also, Excel does not allow you to change the
>case size after you've saved the file.

I don't believe that - but we are not talking about Excel; remember?

>In Word, you can toggle among small case –
>initial caps - all caps easily – but not in Excel.

Er, we are not talking about Word, either!

>Can you toggle among case sizes in Libre Calc?

Not that I know of. But you could easily copy
material into a text (Writer) document, modify it
there, and copy it back. If you use Paste
Special... and paste it into the text document as
HTML you should see a table. That way, you can
handle arbitrary ranges in one go, not just individual cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

In reply to this post by charles meyer
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:04:48 -0400
charles meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My esteemed mates,
> Excel seems to have a built-in flaw where if one cell gets too close
> to another cell the cell with characters in it creates an extra line
> of space under the line of characters.
>
> Ex.  In an Excel cell …  The cell is getting too close
>
> Is there anyway to delete/remove/eliminate that extra space under
> characters in a cell in Libre Calc?

Charles, I think that what you mean here is that your workbook
sometimes inserts a word wrap where no word wrap seems to be called
for: that is, you have one line of text and the cell takes up two lines.

This happens when the line of text is very close to the right edge of
the cell. Right?

It's not an extra space under the characters. I believe that it's the
application, whether it's Calc or Excel or whatever, being slightly off
in its calibration of how much room the characters have taken up. If you
delete so much as a period, the cell will wrap correctly. But you
probably need that period.

The wrapping is a visual annoyance, but I have never seen it affect the
contents in any way.

My experience is that if you stick with the default font in the default
blank workbook/spreadsheet, you'll see much less of this. In Windows
(or at least in my installation of LibreOffice in my installation of
Windows 10), Calc's default font is Liberation Sans 10-point. I think
that's what it is in Linux, too, but it has been a while and I'm not
sure. Anyway, I do find that LibreOffice Calc is more reliable about
accurate word wrapping than Excel (with a default of Calibri 10, again,
if I remember correctly). But no spreadsheet application I've ever
tried, going back to Quattro Pro (which has been bundled with
WordPerfect since about 1995), has ever been 100% reliable about word
wrapping.

If I change the default font to something that's easier for me to read,
old geezer that I am, I'm *much* more likely to see those unexpected
word wraps.

If 10-point Liberation Sans (which is quite a bit like Arial) isn't a
good choice to work in for you, maybe you can try zooming the view to
125% or something.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. I'm not a technical wizard by
any means, but I crank out a spreadsheet a week on average (mostly for
inventory and organizational purposes, less so for math or formulas),
and that has been my experience.

Eddie

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Andrew Pitonyak Andrew Pitonyak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

In reply to this post by Brian Barker

>>In Word, you can toggle among small case – initial caps - all caps
>> easily – but not in Excel.
>
> Er, we are not talking about Word, either!
>
>>Can you toggle among case sizes in Libre Calc?
>
> Not that I know of. But you could easily copy material into a text
> (Writer) document, modify it there, and copy it back. If you use
> Paste
> Special... and paste it into the text document as HTML you should see
> a table. That way, you can handle arbitrary ranges in one go, not
> just
> individual cells.



I created a Calc document.

Step 1: Select all cells of interest:

Step 2: Use

(1) Format > UPPERCASE

(2) Format > lowercase

(3) Format > Capitalize Every Word

(4) Format > Sentence Case

(5) Format > Toggle case

This directly changes the text of interest, but, I think that it will
NOT affect text shown that is produced by an equation. For example,
=UPPER(A1) will always show as upper case.

In Write, special case is handled using the Character Style. I do not
believe that you can use a character style in Calc. A character style
dictates how characters are displayed. They have a property

CharCaseMap

Specify how characters should be displayed using the  
com.sun.star.style.CaseMap constant group. This does not change the
actual text—only the way it is displayed.

     • NONE = 0 – No case mapping is performed; this is the most
commonly used value.
     • UPPERCASE = 1 – All characters are displayed in uppercase.
     • LOWERCASE = 2 – All characters are displayed in lowercase.
     • TITLE = 3 – The first character of each word is displayed in
uppercase.
     • SMALLCAPS = 4 – All characters are displayed in uppercase,
but with a smaller font.


If you edit a character style, click on the Font Effects tab and the
"Effects" drop-down allows you to set this.

In calc, if you Format a Cell, there is also a Font Effects tab, but,
there is no "Effects" drop-down or any other way to change how the text
is displayed with respect to case. Although a Calc cell contains a text
object, I do not see the CharCaseMap property in the text object. Seems
that CharCsaeMap is an optional property so it need not be supported

https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/servicecom_1_1sun_1_1star_1_1style_1_1CharacterProperties.html#ab8138e9a5d1a97f5fbbc2b431ca0cffa



>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Libre Calc – Excel corrected?

In reply to this post by Brian Barker
At 18:01 04/09/2018 +0100, Brian Barker wrote:
>At 12:04 04/09/2018 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
>[...]
>>Can you toggle among case sizes in Libre Calc?
>
>Not that I know of.

I don't know why I wrote that. You have what you need at Format |
Change Case >, of course.

Apologies.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy