Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

charles meyer charles meyer

Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

Hi Folks,

I’m learning the function keys between MS Excel and Libre Calc work
quite differently.

In Excel if you wish text in a cell to return to the next line in that
cell, you choose Ctrl + Enter.

That’s doesn’t seem to work in Libre Calc.

Could you please share how that is done in Libre Calc?

Has anyone happened upon any comparison chart showing how to
accomplish certain functions in Libre Calc compared with how you
perform them in MS Excel?

MS has shared that with MS Word and WordPerfect so if you’re
transitioning into MS Word you can acclimate easier.

Thanks so much!

Charles.

pietervo pietervo

Re: Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

charles meyer wrote:

 > Hi Folks,
 >
 > I’m learning the function keys between MS Excel and Libre Calc work
 > quite differently.
 >
 > In Excel if you wish text in a cell to return to the next line in that
 > cell, you choose Ctrl + Enter.
 >
 > That’s doesn’t seem to work in Libre Calc.
 >
 > Could you please share how that is done in Libre Calc?
 >
 > Has anyone happened upon any comparison chart showing how to
 > accomplish certain functions in Libre Calc compared with how you
 > perform them in MS Excel?
 >
 > MS has shared that with MS Word and WordPerfect so if you’re
 > transitioning into MS Word you can acclimate easier.
 >
 > Thanks so much!
 >
 > Charles.

On my Mac it works with Cmd-Enter. Which is kind of strange as Cmd-Enter inserts a page break in Writer, whereas in Writer both Ctrl-Enter and Shift-Enter insert a newline, even in table cells.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 14:31 26/04/2015 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
>I'm learning the function keys between MS Excel and Libre Calc work
>quite differently. In Excel if you wish text in a cell to return to
>the next line in that cell, you choose Ctrl + Enter.

I think you are a bit confused here! In Microsoft Excel, Ctrl+Enter
is used in place of Enter to complete an entry when you have selected
a range of cells and want them all populated with the same entry. In
Excel, if you want to create a manual line break within a cell, you
use Alt+Enter, not Ctrl+Enter.

>That doesn't seem to work in Libre Calc. Could you please share how
>that is done in Libre Calc?

To add to the confusion, Ctrl+Enter is precisely how you achieve the
same thing in Calc! But this works only in the cell, not in the Input
Line. And - you've guessed it! - Alt+Enter is how you perform
multiple insertions. The two keyboard shortcuts swap their effects
between Excel and Calc, that is.

>Has anyone happened upon any comparison chart showing how to
>accomplish certain functions in Libre Calc compared with how you
>perform them in MS Excel?

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Migration_Guide/Calc_and_Excel
is written for OpenOffice and may or may not be helpful. It's part of
OpenOffice's Migration Guide.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

James E. Lang James E. Lang

Re: Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

Ctrl+Enter does the job for as long as I can remember in the LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org Calc product line.

--
Jim

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 26.04.2015 um 20:31 schrieb charles meyer:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I’m learning the function keys between MS Excel and Libre Calc work
> quite differently.
>
> In Excel if you wish text in a cell to return to the next line in that
> cell, you choose Ctrl + Enter.
>
> That’s doesn’t seem to work in Libre Calc.
>
> Could you please share how that is done in Libre Calc?
>
> Has anyone happened upon any comparison chart showing how to
> accomplish certain functions in Libre Calc compared with how you
> perform them in MS Excel?
>
> MS has shared that with MS Word and WordPerfect so if you’re
> transitioning into MS Word you can acclimate easier.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Charles.

Excel: Alt+Enter
Calc: Ctrl+Enter

Susan Deaton Susan Deaton

Re: [SPAM?] Re: [libreoffice-users] Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

On 4/26/2015 4:16 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 14:31 26/04/2015 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
>> I'm learning the function keys between MS Excel and Libre Calc work
>> quite differently. In Excel if you wish text in a cell to return to
>> the next line in that cell, you choose Ctrl + Enter.
>
> I think you are a bit confused here! In Microsoft Excel, Ctrl+Enter is
> used in place of Enter to complete an entry when you have selected a
> range of cells and want them all populated with the same entry. In
> Excel, if you want to create a manual line break within a cell, you
> use Alt+Enter, not Ctrl+Enter.
>
>> That doesn't seem to work in Libre Calc. Could you please share how
>> that is done in Libre Calc?
>
> To add to the confusion, Ctrl+Enter is precisely how you achieve the
> same thing in Calc! But this works only in the cell, not in the Input
> Line. And - you've guessed it! - Alt+Enter is how you perform multiple
> insertions. The two keyboard shortcuts swap their effects between
> Excel and Calc, that is.
>
>> Has anyone happened upon any comparison chart showing how to
>> accomplish certain functions in Libre Calc compared with how you
>> perform them in MS Excel?
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Migration_Guide/Calc_and_Excel
> is written for OpenOffice and may or may not be helpful. It's part of
> OpenOffice's Migration Guide.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

It certainly helps me!  Your "To add to the confusion" paragraph details
something I've been wanting for a long time.
-- Tim Deaton

James E. Lang James E. Lang

O.T. Re: [libreoffice-users] Libre Calc - moving text in cell + comparison chart

XThis (my message) IS off topic but I'm trying to figure out where and why "Re: [SPAM?] " got added to the subject of Susan's message,

The five headers that pertain to spam are:

 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_BLOCKED=0.001,
 SPF_HELO_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham

I guess that the prior message in the discussion got tagged as potential spam on its way to Susan. (??)

--
Jim