Libre Office Marketing activities in India

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Hello All.

My name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal. I am from Pune, India. Currently i am working as senior technical officer, at Centre for Development of advanced computing (C-DAC), Pune.

I have been working in Localization domain since about last 8 years. I had earlier used Open Office and conducted training and spread awareness about open office among lot of people from various sectors like Academics, Govt, NGO's, and SME's. I have also been attending various meeting and conferences to spread the word.

I have also been using Libre Office since quite some time now. I think i can be a good contributor as a Member of Marketing team and take this product to newer heights of success.

I would also like to know if there is any marketing group active in India who promotes Libre Office in India and let me know how can i participate.

Cheers,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
Senior Technical Officer
C-DAC, Pune, India.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Dear Chandrakant,

Welcome to the LibreOffice project! I have seen your earlier posts on
the L10N mailing list and it's great to see that more localizations can
be created. On top of that C-DAC has been a long standing contributor to
the old Openoffice.org project :-)

It is a bit unclear to me whether there are active teams promoting
LibreOffice around India though. We have various contacts with public
institutions there however. Given the scope of your involvement, I guess
you have a team working with you on LibreOffice localizations and
marketing?

Best,

Charles.

Le 2014-05-02 12:56, chandrakant dhutadmal a écrit :

> Hello All.
>
> My name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal. I am from Pune, India. Currently i
> am working as senior technical officer, at Centre for Development of
> advanced computing (C-DAC), Pune.
>
> I have been working in Localization domain since about last 8 years. I
> had earlier used Open Office and conducted training and spread
> awareness about open office among lot of people from various sectors
> like Academics, Govt, NGO's, and SME's. I have also been attending
> various meeting and conferences to spread the word.
>
> I have also been using Libre Office since quite some time now. I think
> i can be a good contributor as a Member of Marketing team and take
> this product to newer heights of success.
>
> I would also like to know if there is any marketing group active in
> India who promotes Libre Office in India and let me know how can i
> participate.
>

> Cheers,
> Chandrakant Dhutadmal
> Senior Technical Officer
> C-DAC, Pune, India.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Hi Charles.

Thanks for welcoming me in the community.

Yes. C-DAC is one of the organization which has been into Localization and its marketing since quite some time now.

I have personally  been active in some other open source communities and i have noticed that there are no Libre Office promotional activities being carried out as a community.

I personally would like to contribute in this community driven promotional activity in a better way.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
Pune, India.

On Friday, May 2, 2014 5:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Chandrakant,

Welcome to the LibreOffice project! I have seen your earlier posts on
the L10N mailing list and it's great to see that more localizations can
be created. On top of that C-DAC has been a long standing contributor to
the old Openoffice.org project :-)

It is a bit unclear to me whether there are active teams promoting
LibreOffice around India though. We have various contacts with public
institutions there however. Given the scope of your involvement, I guess
you have a team working with you on LibreOffice localizations and
marketing?

Best,

Charles.

Le 2014-05-02 12:56, chandrakant dhutadmal a écrit :

> Hello All.
>
> My name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal. I am from Pune, India. Currently i
> am working as senior technical officer, at Centre for Development of
> advanced computing (C-DAC), Pune.
>
> I have been working in Localization domain since about last 8 years. I
> had earlier used Open Office and conducted training and spread
> awareness about open office among lot of people from various sectors
> like Academics, Govt, NGO's, and SME's. I have also been attending
> various meeting and conferences to spread the word.
>
> I have also been using Libre Office since quite some time now. I think
> i can be a good contributor as a Member of Marketing team and take
> this product to newer heights of success.
>
> I would also like to know if there is any marketing group active in
> India who promotes Libre Office in India and let me know how can i
> participate.
>

> Cheers,
> Chandrakant Dhutadmal
> Senior Technical Officer
> C-DAC, Pune, India.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Thank you for your answer. May I suggest you familiarize yourself with
the localization processes first? Such an effort can be demanding even
for one language only; alternatively, promoting LibreOffice in India
itself is also quite a chunk of work. Let us know what you need or what
tasks you would like to work on .

Thank you,

Charles.

Kannan Moudgalya Kannan Moudgalya

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Dear Chandrakant,

I am delighted to see your mail.

Our team has been conducting Spoken Tutorial based SELF workshops on
LibreOffice, mainly in academia, training tens of thousands of people.
Lately, I have been trying to come up with a print edition of
LibreOffice Manuals (500 copies) to promote LibreOffice in colleges, who
need a "printed book" for the software to be included in their
curriculum.  This project has taken a lot longer than what I expected,
because I seem to have not followed some "procedures".  I hope to close
this activity soon.

Next time when you come to Mumbai, please drop by at IIT and we can
discuss how to take things forward in India.  I believe that you can
contribute quite a bit on the Indic language front.  Best wishes,

Kannan

On 02/05/14 6:13 PM, chandrakant dhutadmal wrote:

> Hi Charles.
>
> Thanks for welcoming me in the community.
>
> Yes. C-DAC is one of the organization which has been into Localization and its marketing since quite some time now.
>
> I have personally  been active in some other open source communities and i have noticed that there are no Libre Office promotional activities being carried out as a community.
>
> I personally would like to contribute in this community driven promotional activity in a better way.
>
> Regards,
> Chandrakant Dhutadmal
> Pune, India.
>

> On Friday, May 2, 2014 5:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Chandrakant,
>
> Welcome to the LibreOffice project! I have seen your earlier posts on
> the L10N mailing list and it's great to see that more localizations can
> be created. On top of that C-DAC has been a long standing contributor to
> the old Openoffice.org project :-)
>
> It is a bit unclear to me whether there are active teams promoting
> LibreOffice around India though. We have various contacts with public
> institutions there however. Given the scope of your involvement, I guess
> you have a team working with you on LibreOffice localizations and
> marketing?
>
> Best,
>
> Charles.
>

> Le 2014-05-02 12:56, chandrakant dhutadmal a écrit :
>> Hello All.
>>
>> My name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal. I am from Pune, India. Currently i
>> am working as senior technical officer, at Centre for Development of
>> advanced computing (C-DAC), Pune.
>>
>> I have been working in Localization domain since about last 8 years. I
>> had earlier used Open Office and conducted training and spread
>> awareness about open office among lot of people from various sectors
>> like Academics, Govt, NGO's, and SME's. I have also been attending
>> various meeting and conferences to spread the word.
>>
>> I have also been using Libre Office since quite some time now. I think
>> i can be a good contributor as a Member of Marketing team and take
>> this product to newer heights of success.
>>
>> I would also like to know if there is any marketing group active in
>> India who promotes Libre Office in India and let me know how can i
>> participate.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Chandrakant Dhutadmal
>> Senior Technical Officer
>> C-DAC, Pune, India.

Rajesh Ranjan-2 Rajesh Ranjan-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Charles, Chandrakant and Kannan,

It is good to see the activity related to Libreoffice for India. libreoffice is one of the most important flagship product of foss but in India the activity of promoting the lo is almost negligible. Its sad and we should certainly do some concrete effort regarding the same.

I would also like to be part of it actively and would like to work a lot for libreoffice in India.  I am working for Hindi language since ten years in FOSS localization world. Earlier, I was associated with openoffice as well. I know lot of localization contributors/coordinators of different Indian language. I think they can also help us out to do organized marketing activity related to libreoffice in India.

thanks!

------------------------
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

www.rajeshranjan.in
twitter: @kajha
facebook: rajeshkajha

> [...]
>>>  had earlier used Open Office and conducted training and spread
>>>  awareness about open office among lot of people from various sectors
>>>  like Academics, Govt, NGO's, and SME's. I have also been
> attending
>>>  various meeting and conferences to spread the word.
>>>
>>>  I have also been using Libre Office since quite some time now. I think
>>>  i can be a good contributor as a Member of Marketing team and take
>>>  this product to newer heights of success.
>>>
>>>  I would also like to know if there is any marketing group active in
>>>  India who promotes Libre Office in India and let me know how can i
>>>  participate.
>>>

>>>  Cheers,
>>>  Chandrakant Dhutadmal
>>>  Senior Technical Officer
>>>  C-DAC, Pune, India.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,

This is getting interesting :-)

May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
- check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations, what localization of constitutionally recognized language is currently missing and who may work on it

- on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions to raise LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its distribution.

What do you think?

Best,

Charles.

On 2 mai 2014 19:08:15 CEST, Rajesh Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>>  marketing?
>>>
>>>  Best,
>>>
>>>  Charles.

>of

>years. I
>sectors
>> attending

>think

>in

>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
>be deleted

Rajesh Ranjan-2 Rajesh Ranjan-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

> On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,
>
> This is getting interesting :-)
>
> May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
> - check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations, what
> localization of constitutionally recognized language is currently missing and

Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the language team list
:-)

Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
English - Stuart Swales
Gujarati - Ankit Patel
Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
Nepali - Saaz Rai
Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
Punjabi - A S Alam
Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

On status page, all languages' translation are present though language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with libreoffice.

Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well as this is one official language and its important in India is not less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language also.

> - on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions to raise
> LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its distribution.

Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the mailing list later.

> What do you think?

Hope this is okay?

regards,
Rajesh

> [...]
>> public
>> guess

> Currently
> Development
>> of

>> years. I
>> sectors
> been
>>>  attending

>> think
> take

> active
>> in
> can i

>>>  --
>>>  All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
>> be deleted
>>>

> --
> Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Dear Kannan Sir,

Thanks for your encouraging mail. Last time we met at IIT Mumbai, you gave me brief idea of what activities you and your team are doing at IIT Mumbai.

In this email also you have explained nice enough about your efforts. Since our goals are on similar lines, we can do lot of things together as a community. I will definitely visit you at IIT when i am in Mumbai and discuss abt how we can take this ahead.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
On Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:20 AM, Rajesh Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,
>
> This is getting interesting :-)
>
> May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
> - check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations, what
> localization of constitutionally recognized language is currently missing and
> who may work on it

Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the language team list
:-)

Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
English - Stuart Swales
Gujarati - Ankit Patel
Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
Nepali - Saaz Rai
Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
Punjabi - A S Alam
Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

On status page, all languages' translation are present though language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with libreoffice.

Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well as this is one official language and its important in India is not less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language also.

> - on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions to raise
> LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its distribution.

Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the mailing list later.

> What do you think?

Hope this is okay?

regards,

Rajesh

> [...]
>> public
>> guess

> Currently
> Development
>> of

>> years. I
>> sectors
> been
>>>  attending

>> think
> take

> active
>> in
> can i

>>>  --
>>>  All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
>> be deleted
>>>

> --
> Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Hi.

So, to be specific, here are few things which we can do immediately for Libre Office product marketing and localization.

1. Chalk out a plan for finding at least 500-1000 such people who do not know about Libre Office and Train them in a classroom or through Self learning modules which Prof. Kannan is working on. The best crowd would be youngster's in schools and colleges. Apart from these, we can also target small to medium level enterpreuners (SME's) and Govt. offices across the country.

2. Organize more number of conferences at local levels to market the product.

I am ready to undertake these two activities on immediate basis with one or more local volunteer.

@ Charles - Agreed that Localization of Libre office into all 22 constituitonally recognized languages and marketing are two different big activities in themselves but at the same time, marketing of Localized Libre office is important too. Hence, as Rajesh has suggested, community members who are into localization can be pitched in to get the ideas of how to push this product to masses.

Best Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
On , chandrakant dhutadmal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Kannan Sir,

Thanks for your encouraging mail. Last time we met at IIT Mumbai, you gave me brief idea of what activities you and your team are doing at IIT Mumbai.

In this email also you have explained nice enough about your efforts. Since our goals are on similar lines, we can do lot of things together as a community. I will definitely visit you at IIT when i am in Mumbai and discuss abt how we can take this ahead.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
On Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:20 AM, Rajesh Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,
>
> This is getting interesting :-)
>
> May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
> - check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations, what
> localization of constitutionally recognized language is currently missing and
> who may work on it

Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the language team list
:-)

Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
English -
 Stuart Swales
Gujarati - Ankit Patel
Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
Nepali - Saaz Rai
Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
Punjabi - A S Alam
Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

On status page, all languages' translation are present though language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with
 libreoffice.

Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well as this is one official language and its important in India is not less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language also.

> - on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions to raise
> LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its distribution.

Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the mailing list later.

> What do you think?

Hope this is okay?

regards,

Rajesh

> [...]

 have various contacts with

>> public
>> guess

> Currently

> Development
>> of

>> years. I
>> sectors
> been
>>>  attending

>> think
> take

> active
>> in
> can i

>>>  --
>>>  All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
>> be deleted
>>>

> --
> Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.

Kannan Moudgalya Kannan Moudgalya

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Dear Rajesh,

Let me add the following to what Chandrakant has said, mainly to promote
LibreOffice in India:

 1. We have created a large number of self instructional audio video
    tutorials on LibreOffice, in English (about 60), and with audio
    dubbed into many Indian languages (a total of about 500).  For
    example, in LibreOffice Writer alone, we have a total of 98
    tutorials in English and several Indian languages, see
    http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/list_videos?view=1&foss=LibreOffice-Suite-Writer&language=all.
    We have similar tutorials on Linux as well.
 2. Using the above mentioned tutorials, we have been conducting SELF
    workshops on LibreOffice and a to a lesser extent on Linux.
 3. There is a Tamil Nadu Government Order to switch over to BOSS
    flavour of Linux from Windows XP - please see
    http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrpogson.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2FIndian_Tamil_Nadu_IT_letter.pdf&ei=PvRlU7vzJ9eMuAS-s4DwDw&usg=AFQjCNGKTwhJVFkSgpoVhO1KpPbRImgcZA&sig2=zhc22o-d4KkvBryRa5ElTQ&bvm=bv.65788261,d.c2E&cad=rja
    -  We plan to team up with them on this training.  If Linux comes,
    it is natural that LibreOffice will follow.  Hopefully, other state
    governments will follow.

Best wishes,
Kannan

On 03/05/14 2:39 PM, chandrakant dhutadmal wrote:

> [...]
> >> contributor to

> >> public
> >> guess

> > Currently
> > Development
> >> of

> >> years. I
> >> sectors
> > been

> >> think
> > take

> > active
> >> in
> > can i

> >> be deleted
> >>>

> > --
> > Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.
> >
> > --
> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
> be deleted

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Le Fri, 2 May 2014 12:50:49 -0700 (PDT),
Rajesh Ranjan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,
> >
> > This is getting interesting :-)
> >
> > May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
> > - check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations,
> > what localization of constitutionally recognized language is
> > currently missing and who may work on it
> >

> Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the
> language team list :-)
>
> Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
> Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
> Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
> English - Stuart Swales
> Gujarati - Ankit Patel
> Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
> Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
> Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
> Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
> Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
> Nepali - Saaz Rai
> Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
> Punjabi - A S Alam
> Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
> Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
> Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

Cool, thanks! It is an impressive list to be sure.

> On status page, all languages' translation are present though
> language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to
> be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri,
> Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the
> translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations
> done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with libreoffice.

yes, although it depends on what happened with how active the people
were in 2010-2011 though.

> Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well
> as this is one official language and its important in India is not
> less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language
> also.

good point.

> > - on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions
> > to raise LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its
> > distribution.
> >

> Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but
> would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team
> maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with
> the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and
> would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the
> mailing list later.
>
> > What do you think?
>

> Hope this is okay?

Absolutely yes. Kannan has already explained the kind of wonderful work
they're doing on their side. Not knowing the Indian field reality
myself, I suggest you could discuss or even answer the following
questions:
- how do we raise brand awareness on LibreOffice in India
- are there specific approaches we can take to promote and have people
  download LibreOffice? Is the distribution of physical supports
  (cd-roms, usb keys) a better way ?
- LibreOffice is meant for pretty much everyone, but do we have to
  target a key population at first?
- LibreOffice is a community too: can we attract volunteers,
  developers, localizers, QA testers, documentation writers?
- let's run a local , small scale event somewhere in India and see who
  shows up. Repeat these events around the country.

Last but not least: do organize an IRC meeting or a physical meeting. I
think it's important.

What do you think?

best

Charles.

> regards,
> Rajesh
>

> > Best,
> >
> > Charles.
> >
> > On 2 mai 2014 19:08:15 CEST, Rajesh Ranjan <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Charles, Chandrakant and Kannan,
> >>
> >> It is good to see the activity related to Libreoffice for India.
> >> libreoffice is one of the most important flagship product of foss
> >> but in India the activity of promoting the lo is almost
> >> negligible. Its sad and we should certainly do some concrete
> >> effort regarding the same.
> >>
> >> I would also like to be part of it actively and would like to work
> >> a lot for libreoffice in India.  I am working for Hindi language
> >> since ten years in FOSS localization world. Earlier, I was
> >> associated with openoffice as well. I know lot of localization
> >> contributors/coordinators of different Indian language. I think
> >> they can also help us out to do organized marketing activity
> >> related to libreoffice in India.
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >>
> >> ------------------------
> >> Regards,
> >> Rajesh Ranjan
> >>
> >> www.rajeshranjan.in
> >> twitter: @kajha
> >> facebook: rajeshkajha

> > <[hidden email]>

> >> people.
> >> who
> > their
> >> expected,
> > hope to

> >> Localization and

> >> communities and i
> >> being carried

> >> promotional

> >> on
> > localizations
> >> can
> >> contributor to

> >> public
> >> guess

> > Currently
> > Development
> >> of

> >> years. I
> >> sectors
> > been

> >> think
> > take

> > active
> >> in
> > can i

> >> be deleted
> >>>

> > --
> > Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.
> >
> > --
> > sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Rajesh Ranjan-2 Rajesh Ranjan-2

Re: Libre Office Marketing activities in India

Dear Kannan jee,

Thanks!

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:00 PM, Kannan Moudgalya <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Rajesh,

>Let me add the following to what Chandrakant has said, mainly to
      promote LibreOffice in India:

>    1. We have created a large number of self instructional audio video tutorials on LibreOffice, in English (about 60), and with audio dubbed into many Indian languages (a total of about 500).  For example, in LibreOffice Writer alone, we have a total of 98 tutorials in English and several Indian languages, see http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/list_videos?view=1&foss=LibreOffice-Suite-Writer&language=all.  We have similar tutorials on Linux as well.

Its awesome. Really great work. Kannan jee!

>    2. Using the above mentioned tutorials, we have been conducting SELF workshops on LibreOffice and a to a lesser extent on Linux.
>
>    3. There is a Tamil Nadu Government Order to switch over to BOSS flavour of Linux from Windows XP - please see http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrpogson.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2FIndian_Tamil_Nadu_IT_letter.pdf&ei=PvRlU7vzJ9eMuAS-s4DwDw&usg=AFQjCNGKTwhJVFkSgpoVhO1KpPbRImgcZA&sig2=zhc22o-d4KkvBryRa5ElTQ&bvm=bv.65788261,d.c2E&cad=rja -  We plan to team up with them on this training.  If Linux comes, it is natural that LibreOffice will follow.  Hopefully, other state governments will follow.

It is great news.

Actually, slowly things are improving in favour of FOSS. Lets see, how we can be helpful in creating and building a good ecosystem that can support foss and libreoffice. I live in Pune and if you ever visit Pune, please let me know, I would like to meet you.

Thanks.

------------------------
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

twitter: @kajha
facebook: rajeshkajha
www.rajeshranjan.in

> [...]

> they're doing on their side. Not knowing the Indian field reality
> myself, I suggest you could discuss or even answer the following
> questions:
> - how do we raise brand awareness on LibreOffice in India
> - are there specific approaches we can take to promote and have people
>   download LibreOffice? Is the distribution of physical supports
>   (cd-roms, usb keys) a better way ?
> - LibreOffice is meant for pretty much everyone, but do we have to
>   target a key population at first?
> - LibreOffice is a community too: can we attract volunteers,
>   developers, localizers, QA testers, documentation writers?
> - let's run a local , small scale event somewhere in India and see who
>   shows up. Repeat these events around the country.
>
> Last but not least: do organize an IRC meeting or a physical meeting. I

Thanks for writing in detail. This will help us in ideation about the libreoffice awareness in India. I have planned an event for ideation about libreoffice in India on 16th May with Chandrakant in Pune (India). We will discuss in detail about the points you suggested as well along with all other related items. I will post the detail of the event tomorrow here on the list. Hopefully the event will be attended by good numbers of libreoffice contributors/language coordinators.

regards,
Rajesh