Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Next » 12
QC QC

Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's saving the
spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I expected.

I'm running:
Linux mint 17 64 bit
KDE 4.13
LibreOffice 4.4.7.2

When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx)
if converts the spreadsheets as an image!

Is this some setting? I've tried Googling, but it keeps showing my link on
how to save things as an image. Completely not what I want to do.

The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers. If
I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open a readable document
again!?

Are there some configuration details I'm missing?

Brian

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Fwd: [libreoffice-users] Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires me to
hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so again, and all
the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second try…

> I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's saving the
> spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I expected.

What do you mean by ”spreadsheet part”? Part of what? An ODF text file?
What part of LibreOffice are you using to do this export? Writer?

> I'm running:
> Linux mint 17 64 bit
> KDE 4.13
> LibreOffice 4.4.7.2
>
> When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx)
> if converts the spreadsheets as an image!
>
> Is this some setting? I've tried Googling, but it keeps showing my link on
> how to save things as an image. Completely not what I want to do.
>
> The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers. If
> I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open a readable document
> again!?

Why not just send as an ODF or even a PDF? Both are international standards
since many years ago.

> Are there some configuration details I'm missing?
>
> Brian

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:04:47 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires
> me to hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so
> again, and all the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second
> try…

Well that must be a problem with the crap mailer you use. A simple
reply works fine for me.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:04:47 +0200
> Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires
> > me to hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so
> > again, and all the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second
> > try…
>
> Well that must be a problem with the crap mailer you use. A simple
> reply works fine for me.

No, my message was crap (it's my signum), not the mailer. In fact, I don't
even know what a ”mailer” is. Email client? If so, I don't use one. I use
the web thing.

Have a nice day, you too.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Mike Scott Mike Scott

On 15/04/17 21:19, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:04:47 +0200
> Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires
>> me to hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so
>> again, and all the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second
>> try…
>
> Well that must be a problem with the crap mailer you use. A simple
> reply works fine for me.

The list mails don't have a 'reply-to' header. So, eg, Thunderbird's
simple 'message|reply' would go to the sender only; TB does however have
a 'reply to list' option that does the necessary.

But to return to the OP's LO issue.

It looks as though he has a writer file with an embedded calc document.
Exporting as docx indeed renders the embedded spreadsheet as an image.
I'm not sure what he would expect to happen - embed an LO spreadsheet in
a MS Word document!? Translate the spreadsheet to something Word
supports in the same way (IIRC not in general possible but IANAE) Or what?

My thought though is his document is 'inside out'. If the important
parts are the numbers, perhaps it would better be a Calc document with
embedded text and images; I'd suggest this would export better to
something MS might support.

He doesn't say why he needs to export to docx - I thought these days MS
had some support for ODF documents. Could the recipient not cope with
the odt file?

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to
open my invoices.

I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send it in
PDF, and will if I have no other choice. If LO can't export a simple
spreadsheet embedded in a document to a current MS format, or read back
what it wrote, then they should not be included as options to export to.

I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
something else.

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]
> >
>  wrote:
>

> The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
> spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
> tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
> relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
> and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
> Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to
> open my invoices.
>

> I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
> support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send it in
> PDF, and will if I have no other choice. If LO can't export a simple
> spreadsheet embedded in a document to a current MS format, or read back
> what it wrote, then they should not be included as options to export to.
>
> I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
> something else.

​<...>

QC, perhaps I misunderstand you, but you seem to be saving what originally
was a .doc file in .docx format, because as you say above, «[t]he older
Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers». I was quite
surprised to read that, as I had laboured under the understanding that even
the latest editions of MS Office could still successfully open files in
.doc (and for that matter, .xls) format. Could it be that your attempts to
save the file in .docx format is what led the embedded spreadsheet (which I
presume was originally in .xls format) to be converted to an image (in
which format ?) ?...

Perhaps to get 'round your present difficulty you could open the embedded
spreadsheet in .xls format and then attempt to save it in .xlsx format. If
that can be done successfully, perhaps you could replace the embedded
version with the new version ?...

Good luck !

Henri

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

No, I use Libre Office, and used Open Office for years before that to make
my invoices. One of my clients started complaining after upgrading to
Office 2013 that my older exported from LO to a Word 97 format wouldn't
display, or display properly. Not sure exactly what his issue is. I have
seen a similar issue when importing from ODF into Google Docs. It does
funky things, but the spreadsheet remains a spreadsheet, however the
document the layout is completely messed up.

So since my client can't read the LO document "saved as" a Word 97
document, I started saving in the latest Office layout that LO allows. It
was then this saved layout, that I discovered a few days ago is converting
the speadsheet to an image. I discovered it when opening one in LO to make
copy some data from, after accidentally overwriting the previous ODF
version.

Rather, than pulling from a backup.

I will attempt your suggestion to save the spreadsheet as an xlsx, and try
importing into a docx file. It would mean switching to a .docx template,
rather than an ODF template.  But if it works so be it.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>

>> The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
>> spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
>> tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
>> relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
>> and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
>> Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use
>> open my invoices.
>>

>> I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
>> support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send it
>> in
>> PDF, and will if I have no other choice. If LO can't export a simple
>> spreadsheet embedded in a document to a current MS format, or read back
>> what it wrote, then they should not be included as options to export to.
>>
>> I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
>> something else.
>>

> ​<...>
>
> QC, perhaps I misunderstand you, but you seem to be saving what originally
> was a .doc file in .docx format, because as you say above, «[t]he older
> Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers». I was quite
> surprised to read that, as I had laboured under the understanding that even
> the latest editions of MS Office could still successfully open files in
> .doc (and for that matter, .xls) format. Could it be that your attempts to
> save the file in .docx format is what led the embedded spreadsheet (which I
> presume was originally in .xls format) to be converted to an image (in
> which format ?) ?...
>
> Perhaps to get 'round your present difficulty you could open the embedded
> spreadsheet in .xls format and then attempt to save it in .xlsx format. If
> that can be done successfully, perhaps you could replace the embedded
> version with the new version ?...
>
> Good luck !
>
> Henri

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Ah, well that didn't work. I can save as xlsx, and it preserves the sheet.
I can then embed it into  a .docx file, but if I save it or "save a copy",
it converts it to an image. Not the behavior one would expect. This really
seems like a bug to me. Saving an embedded object should preserve the type
of embedded object.

Even if I link to the external object it still flattens it to a graphic.
What!? It destroys the link! That is not standard behavior! That is a bug
for sure.
 Does that happen in the latest version of Libre Office? I'm not thrilled
at the idea of pinning to a newer version of Libre Office, but if it fixes
this bug I'd do it.

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> Ah, well that didn't work. I can save as xlsx, and it preserves the sheet.
> I can then embed it into  a .docx file, but if I save it or "save a copy",
> it converts it to an image. Not the behavior one would expect. This really
> seems like a bug to me. Saving an embedded object should preserve the type
> of embedded object.
>
> Even if I link to the external object it still flattens it to a graphic.
> What!? It destroys the link! That is not standard behavior! That is a bug
> for sure.
>  Does that happen in the latest version of Libre Office? I'm not thrilled
> at the idea of pinning to a newer version of Libre Office, but if it fixes
> this bug I'd do it.

​<...>

Thanks for responding with your experience, QC ! Alas I've never
encountered your problem, so my suggestion was not based on any concrete
experience on my part. Too bad it didn't work....

My suspcion is that the embedding process works differently in LO than in
MS Office, which may explain - but, unfortunately not resolve - your
problem. I doubt that using the latest stable version of LO - 5.3.1.2 -
would make any difference, but it would be interesting to learn if, in the
event you were to save the document in .odt format, the embedded
spreadsheet would still be converted into an image....

Henri

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

As long as I maintain the object in an ODF format, as a document or a
template, it works as it should. It's only once LO saves it into an Office
2013 format, that it converts to an image. The Office 97 format preserves
the embedded spreadsheet(s).

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> As long as I maintain the object in an ODF format, as a document or a
> template, it works as it should. It's only once LO saves it into an Office
> 2013 format, that it converts to an image. The Office 97 format preserves
> the embedded spreadsheet(s)
> ​.

​I see. What I fail to understand is why your client is unable to open a
file in .doc format, while the MS Office version I have is that released in
2013, which has no problem opening .doc files and I have forwarded files
saved in that format to persons who used MS Office 2016 to open them
without difficulty. What version of MS Office is your client using ?...

Henri​

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
> spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
> tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
> relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
> and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
> Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to
> open my invoices.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't PDF just perfect for invoices? Why send a
word document to your clients unless you want them to be able to edit your
invoice? And why would you want that? Sorry for not understanding, it's
probably simple and I just misunderstood everything, stupid as I probably
am.

> I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
> support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send it in
> PDF, and will if I have no other choice.
>

> If LO can't export a simple spreadsheet embedded in a document to a
> current MS format, or read back what it wrote, then they should not be
> included as options to export to.
>
> I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
> something else.

Anyway, I just tested to embed a spreadsheet in a text file, I saved it as
docx, closed everything and reopened it in LibreOffice Writer. The
spreadsheet was still embedded, so maybe something got corrupted in your
file.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 16:33 14/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>I've just discovered that when I save a copy of
>an invoice it's saving the spreadsheet part as
>an image. This is not the behavior I expected.
>[...] When I save a copy of this file as Word
>2007/2010/2013 (*.docx) if converts the
>spreadsheets as an image! [...] The older Word
>97 format is not readable anymore by one of my
>customers. If I save an 2003 .xml version
>Libreoffice can't even open a readable document again!?

You are tying yourself in knots here - and quite unnecessarily.

o Don't believe what one customer tells you about
what s/he can or cannot handle: they may just not
be competent enough to understand. My bank
provides documents in the format it chooses; it
may respond to suggestions for changes from
customers in general, but it certainly wouldn't
believe me if I simply claimed I couldn't handle
what it provided. Is your bank any different?

o You are confusing on the one hand the format in
which you keep our own records and active
documents and on the other hand what you send
your customers. You may need part of a
spreadsheet in a text document to be active but
you should not want your customers to be able to
modify your invoices easily. They may halve the price and pay you accordingly!

o Save and keep your own documents in
LibreOffice's native Open Document Format
formats, here .odt and .ods. Use a DDE link to an
.ods spreadsheet document in your .odt text document if you wish.

o Send your customers a frozen document. You need
a format that is suitable for final versions of
documents and is robust to changes between
systems - operating system, installed fonts,
printers, printer drivers, and so on - and is
also easily displayed by and printed from
application software that is easily available for
a wide range of platforms and conveniently free
of charge for your customers. That is not *any*
word processor document format; that's PDF. Oh
look: LibreOffice will export your documents as PDF.

At 10:30 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to open my invoices.

No, but you can dictate the format in which you
choose to provide invoices - providing that is reasonable (as PDF is).

>I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office
>has suddenly decided to support reading ODF files.

Microsoft claims it has done this - though not
"suddenly". (But you shouldn't want to use office formats anyway; see above.)

>I could send it in PDF, and will if I have no other choice.

It's the best choice: you need no "other choice".

>I use this system for my business. It has to
>work, or I have to use something else.

As always, you are very welcome to use whatever
software you wish. LibreOffice will work for you, but chacun à son goût.

At 14:14 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>As long as I maintain the object in an ODF
>format, as a document or a template, it works as it should.

Good. Using LibreOffice's native format for your
own document files is what you should always do.

>It's only once LO saves it into an Office 2013
>format, that it converts to an image.

So don't do that (for your own use). See above.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <
> [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >

> > The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
> > spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
> > tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
> > relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
> > and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
> > Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use
> > open my invoices.
> >

> Maybe it's just me, but isn't PDF just perfect for invoices? Why send a
> word document to your clients unless you want them to be able to edit your
> invoice? And why would you want that? Sorry for not understanding, it's
> probably simple and I just misunderstood everything, stupid as I probably
> am.
>

> My client enters this information into his own records. For his ease of
use I send him a format that makes it easy for him, rather than having to
type it all in himself.

> > If LO can't export a simple spreadsheet embedded in a document to a
> > current MS format, or read back what it wrote, then they should not be
> > included as options to export to.
> >
> > I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
> > something else.
> >

> Anyway, I just tested to embed a spreadsheet in a text file, I saved it as
> docx, closed everything and reopened it in LibreOffice Writer. The
> spreadsheet was still embedded, so maybe something got corrupted in your
> file.

Hmm, ok, thanks. So it's something on my end. Perhaps some tweak done by
Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
Or something in my own set up.

wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >> Have a nice day, you too.
> >>

> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >> Johnny Rosenberg

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >>

> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <
> [hidden email]>

> second

> >> No, my message was crap (it's my signum), not the mailer. In fact, I
> don't
> >> even know what a ”mailer” is. Email client? If so, I don't use one. I
> use
> >> the web thing.
> >>

> >> Have a nice day, you too.
> >>

> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >> Johnny Rosenberg

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> At 16:33 14/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>
>> I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's saving
>> the spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I expected.
>> [...] When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx) if
>> converts the spreadsheets as an image! [...] The older Word 97 format is
>> not readable anymore by one of my customers. If I save an 2003 .xml version
>> Libreoffice can't even open a readable document again!?
>>

> You are tying yourself in knots here - and quite unnecessarily.
>
> o Don't believe what one customer tells you about what s/he can or cannot
> handle: they may just not be competent enough to understand. My bank
> provides documents in the format it chooses; it may respond to suggestions
> for changes from customers in general, but it certainly wouldn't believe me
> if I simply claimed I couldn't handle what it provided. Is your bank any
> different?

Well, I'm not a big bank with loads of customers that I can less less if
they take their business elsewhere. This is a major client, that brings me
significant business. I'd have to find multiple clients to replace him.
That's a lot of work. So I do what I can to keep him happy.

o You are confusing on the one hand the format in which you keep our own
> records and active documents and on the other hand what you send your
> customers. You may need part of a spreadsheet in a text document to be
> active but you should not want your customers to be able to modify your
> invoices easily. They may halve the price and pay you accordingly!
>
> No, I'm not. I use one format, and he has requested another. I keep my
records and my own copies of invoices, etc. I make him a special copy, just
for him. Because I want to keep him happy. It's just good business. But
that copy is not being done right.

> o Save and keep your own documents in LibreOffice's native Open Document
> Format formats, here .odt and .ods. Use a DDE link to an .ods spreadsheet
> document in your .odt text document if you wish.
>
> I do.

> o Send your customers a frozen document. You need a format that is
> suitable for final versions of documents and is robust to changes between
> systems - operating system, installed fonts, printers, printer drivers, and
> so on - and is also easily displayed by and printed from application
> software that is easily available for a wide range of platforms and
> conveniently free of charge for your customers. That is not *any* word
> processor document format; that's PDF. Oh look: LibreOffice will export
> your documents as PDF.
>
> Yes, but he enters the data from my invoice into his own systems. This
allows him to not have to key it all in, if he can copy and paste.

> At 10:30 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>
>> I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to open my
>> invoices.
>>

> No, but you can dictate the format in which you choose to provide invoices
> - providing that is reasonable (as PDF is).
>
> I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
>> support reading ODF files.
>>

> Microsoft claims it has done this - though not "suddenly". (But you
> shouldn't want to use office formats anyway; see above.)

This is something special I do for a major client, to increase his customer
satisfaction.

> I could send it in PDF, and will if I have no other choice.
>>

> It's the best choice: you need no "other choice".
>
> I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
>> something else.
>>

> As always, you are very welcome to use whatever software you wish.
> LibreOffice will work for you, but chacun à son goût.
>
> At 14:14 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>
>> As long as I maintain the object in an ODF format, as a document or a
>> template, it works as it should.
>>

> Good. Using LibreOffice's native format for your own document files is
> what you should always do.
>
> It's only once LO saves it into an Office 2013 format, that it converts to
>> an image.
>>

> So don't do that (for your own use). See above.

Again, I don't.  It's a special thing I do for a special client who has
asked for this to make his work easier. It should have been a simple thing
to do, and has been or years. But suddenly when I use the newer format it
doesn't work the same way.

I can export it to PDF, and I have confirmed that I can copy and paste the
text, from the PDF, but it loses it's spreadsheet layout. I don't know if
that will work for him. So he will be able to use it, but at a reduced
level of productivity.

It's at least better than an image where he can't copy and paste the data
at all.

It's a far cry from the simple solution of it being a spreadsheet. I may
just have to send him the underlying spreadsheet instead of the nicer
format of the company invoice, or in addition to it. The spreadsheet might
even be better for him.

But the good news is I think I found the issue!
Under the menu "Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> Microsoft Office" I
unchecked the option for "[S] Convert and save the object" on the line
"Excel to LibreOffice Calc or reverse"  and it now doesn't convert it to a
graphic. Not sure what it will look like on his system yet. It's a fairly
simple spreadsheet.

So problem solved!  Maybe.

I have not tested opening it on a Windows machine.

My copy of LibreOffice has this set by default, as well as other
pre-checked items. I've been using LibreOffice out of the Linux Mint Box
without any tweaking. I will have to add this to my list of customizations
to do, on subsequent releases if system upgrade procedures.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>
>  wrote:

>> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]
>> >

>> > The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
>> > spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
>> > tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
>> > relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new
>> filename,
>> > and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
>> > Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to
>> use to
>> > open my invoices.
>> >

>> Maybe it's just me, but isn't PDF just perfect for invoices? Why send a
>> word document to your clients unless you want them to be able to edit your
>> invoice? And why would you want that? Sorry for not understanding, it's
>> probably simple and I just misunderstood everything, stupid as I probably
>> am.
>>

>> My client enters this information into his own records. For his ease of
> use I send him a format that makes it easy for him, rather than having to
> type it all in himself.

Depending on how the PDF was created it's usually possible to copy text in
paste it somewhere else. PDFs created by LibreOffice Writer usually work in
that matter.

>> > If LO can't export a simple spreadsheet embedded in a document to a
>> > current MS format, or read back what it wrote, then they should not be
>> > included as options to export to.
>> >
>> > I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
>> > something else.
>> >

>> Anyway, I just tested to embed a spreadsheet in a text file, I saved it as
>> docx, closed everything and reopened it in LibreOffice Writer. The
>> spreadsheet was still embedded, so maybe something got corrupted in your
>> file.
>>

> Hmm, ok, thanks. So it's something on my end. Perhaps some tweak done by
> Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
> Or something in my own set up.

Forgot to mention that I would have tested to open the docx file in Word,
but I can't do that since I don't have it installed (I don't have Windows).
My operating system is Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment (I'm planning to switch
to ArchLinux, that's why I didn't bother to install a newer Ubuntu). I
tested this with LibreOffice 5.2.6.2. I have a couple of other versions of
LibreOffice installed as well, so maybe I could test with your version as
well, if you tell me which one it is.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]
>> >

>> > The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
>> > spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
>> > tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
>> > relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new
>> filename,
>> > and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
>> > Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to
>> use to
>> > open my invoices.
>> >

>> Maybe it's just me, but isn't PDF just perfect for invoices? Why send a
>> word document to your clients unless you want them to be able to edit your
>> invoice? And why would you want that? Sorry for not understanding, it's
>> probably simple and I just misunderstood everything, stupid as I probably
>> am.
>>

>> > I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
>> > support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send
>> it in
>> > PDF, and will if I have no other choice.
>> >

>> > If LO can't export a simple spreadsheet embedded in a document to a
>> > current MS format, or read back what it wrote, then they should not be
>> > included as options to export to.
>> >
>> > I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
>> > something else.
>> >

>> Anyway, I just tested to embed a spreadsheet in a text file, I saved it as
>> docx, closed everything and reopened it in LibreOffice Writer. The
>> spreadsheet was still embedded, so maybe something got corrupted in your
>> file.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

>> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]>

>> second

>> don't
>> use

>> be

>> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]>

>> second

>> don't
>> use

>> be

>> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <
>> [hidden email]>

>> second

>> don't
>> use

>> be

>> deleted

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Well none of that worked. :/

However, I can save as .xlsx and manipulate it in Office 2010. I can
confirm my copy of LibreOffice is creating unusable files in Office 2010,
and probably 2013 as well.

So I  guess I'll send him a .xlsx invoice, going forward.

I suspect I have a bad configuration file or setting. I'll install a clean,
newer Mint release on a spare partition of two, and test a fresh
Libreoffice in a fresh and clean install and see if this problem goes away.
Probably some old configuration setting that I kept in an update, that I
should have rejected, removed, or changed.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM, QC <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> format of the company invoice, or in addition to it. The spreadsheet might
> even be better for him.
>

> But the good news is I think I found the issue!
> Under the menu "Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> Microsoft Office" I
> unchecked the option for "[S] Convert and save the object" on the line
> "Excel to LibreOffice Calc or reverse"  and it now doesn't convert it to a
> graphic. Not sure what it will look like on his system yet. It's a fairly
> simple spreadsheet.
>

> So problem solved!  Maybe.
>

> I have not tested opening it on a Windows machine.
>
> My copy of LibreOffice has this set by default, as well as other
> pre-checked items. I've been using LibreOffice out of the Linux Mint Box
> without any tweaking. I will have to add this to my list of customizations
> to do, on subsequent releases if system upgrade procedures.

Dave Stevens Dave Stevens

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:33:01 -0500
QC <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's
> saving the spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I
> expected.
>
> I'm running:
> Linux mint 17 64 bit
> KDE 4.13
> LibreOffice 4.4.7.2
>
> When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx)
> if converts the spreadsheets as an image!
>
> Is this some setting? I've tried Googling, but it keeps showing my
> link on how to save things as an image. Completely not what I want to
> do.
>
> The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my
> customers. If I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open
> a readable document again!?
>
> Are there some configuration details I'm missing?
>
> Brian

something I often do is save as a file. you get to specify the file
name and location and can save as a .pdf. I think most folks can read
that.

In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are
not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to
simplistic questions.

----- Ursula Le Guin

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Yes, most people can read a pdf. That's not the issue here.

The issue is a customer wants to copy and paste the contents of the invoice
for his own bookkeeping processes. Copy and pasting from a pdf is not the
same as copy and paste from a spreadsheet. I have a specific need to save a
copy as a Microsoft Office readable format. I have been saving as a copy
for years as a Microsoft Word document for this one client, and it has
worked until recently. Most likely I did an upgrade on Libre Office and
broke something. I have found a solution, that saving only the spreadsheet
portion and sending that as an Excel document will work for him. Until I
figure out what I broke.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Dave Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:33:01 -0500
> QC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's
> > saving the spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I
> > expected.
> >
> > I'm running:
> > Linux mint 17 64 bit
> > KDE 4.13
> > LibreOffice 4.4.7.2
> >
> > When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx)
> > if converts the spreadsheets as an image!
> >
> > Is this some setting? I've tried Googling, but it keeps showing my
> > link on how to save things as an image. Completely not what I want to
> > do.
> >
> > The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my
> > customers. If I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open
> > a readable document again!?
> >
> > Are there some configuration details I'm missing?
> >
> > Brian
> >

> something I often do is save as a file. you get to specify the file
> name and location and can save as a .pdf. I think most folks can read
> that.

> In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
> usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are
> not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to
> simplistic questions.
>
> ----- Ursula Le Guin

Next » 12