Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

12 « Prev
Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

At 16:59 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>Yes, but he enters the data from my invoice into his own systems.
>This allows him to not have to key it all in, if he can copy and paste.

Aha! I think that is the first we've heard of that.

>I can export it to PDF, and I have confirmed that I can copy and
>paste the text, from the PDF, but it loses its spreadsheet layout. I
>don't know if that will work for him. So he will be able to use it,
>but at a reduced level of productivity.

If he needs the functionality of a spreadsheet - formulae and such,
and not just the data - then PDF will indeed not do.

>I may just have to send him the underlying spreadsheet instead of
>the nicer format of the company invoice, or in addition to it.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest: that you might send him
your invoice in its normal form and the data he needs as a
spreadsheet. If he uses a recent version of Microsoft Office, either
.xls or .xlsx should work for him. But you may still get back to your
earlier solution ...

At 18:11 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>Well none of that worked. :/

I'm sorry to hear that, of course.

>I'll install a clean, newer Mint release on a spare partition of
>two, and test a fresh Libreoffice in a fresh and clean install and
>see if this problem goes away. Probably some old configuration
>setting that I kept in an update, that I should have rejected,
>removed, or changed.

A simpler way may be just to delete or rename your LibreOffice user
profile (whilst LibreOffice is closed). That should have the same effect.

I hope you won't see me as being unnecessarily critical if I say that
part of the problem here was that you did not declare some of the
boundary conditions to your problem in your earlier messages. It was
not surprising that people offered apparently useful suggestions that
didn't satisfy you. It helps other to help you best if you can give
such detail up front.

Brian Barker

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: Fwd: [libreoffice-users] Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sat Apr 15 2017 12:04:47 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Johnny
Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires me to
> hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so again, and all
> the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second try…

So use a decent mail client that has a proper 'Reply to List' function.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Hi Brian,

QC schrieb:

> I've just discovered that when I save a copy of an invoice it's saving the
> spreadsheet part as an image. This is not the behavior I expected.
>
> I'm running:
> Linux mint 17 64 bit
> KDE 4.13
> LibreOffice 4.4.7.2
>
> When I save a copy of this file as Word 2007/2010/2013 (*.docx)
> if converts the spreadsheets as an image!

I have tested the behavior with Version: 5.2.6.2
Build ID: a3100ed2409ebf1c212f5048fbe377c281438fdc
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.1; UI Render: default;
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); Calc: group

In Tools > Options > Load/Save > Microsof Office the first four rows of
convert are all checked.

I cannot confirm your observation. The embedded spreadsheet is converted
to an Excel sheet. When I open the file in Word 2010, a double-click on
the sheet activates the OLE and I can use the spreadsheet.

I have used Insert > Object > OLE object, create new LibreOffice 5.2
Spreadsheet, to insert a spreadsheet. Then I have copy&paste the cells
from the original spreadsheet. I have not tested whether the kind "From
file" would have worked too.

I have saved it as both .docx versions and both work for me.

> Is this some setting? I've tried Googling, but it keeps showing my link on
> how to save things as an image. Completely not what I want to do.
>
> The older Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers. If
> I save an 2003 .xml version Libreoffice can't even open a readable document
> again!?
>
> Are there some configuration details I'm missing?

You should check your settings in Tools > Options. You can try with a
newer LibreOffice version. And if you have access to a Windows PC, you
should try it with a LibreOffice version for Windows.

Kind regards
Regina

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sun Apr 16 2017 15:14:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), QC
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As long as I maintain the object in an ODF format, as a document or a
> template, it works as it should. It's only once LO saves it into an Office
> 2013 format, that it converts to an image. The Office 97 format preserves
> the embedded spreadsheet(s).

I suspect this is a problem with the version of Libreoffice you are
using not supporting a certain attribute that Microsofts undocumented
XML format uses, and handles it the only way it can (converts the
embedded spreadsheet into an image).

Since you are using an old version of Libreoffice, you'll need to try
with a newer (at least 5.2.6, best would be the current 5.3.2) version.

I just did a quick test of one of our templates that has an embedded
spreadsheet, saved it as both a .doc and a .docx, and opened the result
in Word 2010. The system I tested this on had Libreoffice 5.2.5 during
this test.

The spreadsheet is NOT converted to an image, but it does auto resize
itself to a smaller size when dbl-clicked, and some of the columns
disappear (they're still there, but hidden).

I then went ahead and upgraded this system to 5.3.2 (been meaning to
anyway) and redid the test.

The result was the same for the .doc, but the .docx wouldn't open in
Word 2010 - Don't have a newer version of Word to try at the moment, so
can't say what would happen with Word 2013 or 2016.

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> At 16:59 16/04/2017 -0500, Brian Noname wrote:
>
>> Yes, but he enters the data from my invoice into his own systems. This
>> allows him to not have to key it all in, if he can copy and paste.
>>

> Aha! I think that is the first we've heard of that.

Actually, I've mentioned that several times. Perhaps not in these exact
terms. ;)

> I can export it to PDF, and I have confirmed that I can copy and paste the
>> text, from the PDF, but it loses its spreadsheet layout. I don't know if
>> that will work for him. So he will be able to use it, but at a reduced
>> level of productivity.
>>

> If he needs the functionality of a spreadsheet - formulae and such, and
> not just the data - then PDF will indeed not do.

He doesn't need the functionality of a spreadsheet. I could give him a tab
delimited file for all that matters. I don't do a lot of fancy stuff in my
invoices. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. That's not always
possible, nor my natural inclination ( unfortunately).

I'll install a clean, newer Mint release on a spare partition of two, and
>> test a fresh Libreoffice in a fresh and clean install and see if this
>> problem goes away. Probably some old configuration setting that I kept in
>> an update, that I should have rejected, removed, or changed.
>>

> A simpler way may be just to delete or rename your LibreOffice user
> profile (whilst LibreOffice is closed). That should have the same effect.

I'm not sure that would work. There is the system level configuration, and
also my individual level configuration. The error (probably my fault) in
the configuration could be in either one, since I am the administrator of
the system. I could try it on one of the other company computers, but the
system configuration would still be my doing, and the upgrades and upgraded
configurations also my doing, or worse that of my administrative assistant
(not exactly a computer geek).

> I hope you won't see me as being unnecessarily critical if I say that part
> of the problem here was that you did not declare some of the boundary
> conditions to your problem in your earlier messages. It was not surprising
> that people offered apparently useful suggestions that didn't satisfy you.
> It helps other to help you best if you can give such detail up front.

Critical observations don't bother me. I've been on the other end of
support issues:
Client: "I've pressed the power button and nothing happens!  See!"
Me: "That's the mouse. This is the power button."
;)

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Mike Scott <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It looks as though he has a writer file with an embedded calc document.
> Exporting as docx indeed renders the embedded spreadsheet as an image. I'm
> not sure what he would expect to happen - embed an LO spreadsheet in a MS
> Word document!? Translate the spreadsheet to something Word supports in the
> same way (IIRC not in general possible but IANAE) Or what?
>
> I do indeed have a LO writer document with an embedded calc object. I
downloaded this as a template from the then official  Open Office templates
site, oh about 10 years ago. It's not my design. But it's worked for me for
years.

> My thought though is his document is 'inside out'. If the important parts
> are the numbers, perhaps it would better be a Calc document with embedded
> text and images; I'd suggest this would export better to something MS might
> support.

Perhaps. But I didn't develop it. Although I have tweaked it for my own
purposes.

> He doesn't say why he needs to export to docx - I thought these days MS
> had some support for ODF documents. Could the recipient not cope with the
> odt file?

I have repeatedly said why I need to export to docx. Because I have a
client who takes the data from my invoice and copies it into his accounting
system. As a spreadsheet, he can copy and paste what he wants without
having to type it all in. The older .doc format I used to use is now
broken, as a result of some update I applied to this (now) quite old
version of Libre Office, running on an old LTS Qiana Linux Mint desktop.

I can indeed open the original (and my company's official version) ODT
document in newer MS Office programs, but they don't like the embedded
spreadsheet part and strip it out. This defeats the purpose of opening in
Word 2010 or later as that's the important part. ;)

So, until I can install the latest stable Mint, and test it on my system,
and then upgrade the rest of the systems. I will just invoice him with an
actual spreadsheet as an invoice. Maybe I'll even move entirely to that
layout.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

Hi,

QC schrieb:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Mike Scott <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> It looks as though he has a writer file with an embedded calc document.
>> Exporting as docx indeed renders the embedded spreadsheet as an image. I'm
>> not sure what he would expect to happen - embed an LO spreadsheet in a MS
>> Word document!? Translate the spreadsheet to something Word supports in the
>> same way (IIRC not in general possible but IANAE) Or what?
>>
>> I do indeed have a LO writer document with an embedded calc object. I
> downloaded this as a template from the then official  Open Office templates
> site, oh about 10 years ago. It's not my design. But it's worked for me for
> years.

Can you please sent me the template? If it is so old, it might be, that
it has not embedded an ods-spreadsheet but a sxc-spreadsheet.

Kind regards
Regina

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Fwd: [libreoffice-users] Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

> On Sat Apr 15 2017 12:04:47 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Johnny
> Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires me to
> > hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so again, and
> all
> > the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second try…
>
> So use a decent mail client that has a proper 'Reply to List' function.

No, I don't want a mail client. I'd rather do this mistake now and then. Or
all the time. Or quit this list. It's not that I'm addicted to it or
anything… :p

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

krackedpress krackedpress

On 04/17/2017 03:10 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>> On Sat Apr 15 2017 12:04:47 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Johnny
>> Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Since this is still the only mailing list that I'm on that requires me to
>>> hit ”Reply to all” to reply to the group, I failed doing so again, and
>> all
>>> the crap ended up at the OP only… so this is my second try…
>> So use a decent mail client that has a proper 'Reply to List' function.
>>
> No, I don't want a mail client. I'd rather do this mistake now and then. Or
> all the time. Or quit this list. It's not that I'm addicted to it or
> anything… :p
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
I have a decent mail client.
Sometimes it does not reply to list properly either.

Along with this, many times I reply to the lists, or even other emails,
the email address in "from" reverts to my "default" address, and not the
address I use for these lists. "timothy@L ....." instead of "webmaster@K
.....".

The good thing about an email client, is the fact that I have over 25
folders where my emails are sorted by who sent them or the email address
sent to.  That way I can choose just which folder's emails to read
first.  I even have several gmail accounts that is read via the email
client.

Still, I know a lot of people who do not use a mail client.  Since I
have several email addresses, having a client is needed for my use.

QC QC

Re: Libre Office saving spreadsheets as images when saving as Word docx!?

In trying to resolve this, I've deleted the embedded sheet and added a new
one. So I doubt that is the issue. I may have deleted the original embedded
spreadsheet years ago, for a similar reason. But this template here would
have the embedded sheet, I've been using for at least 3 years.

I've added sample data in it, so you can see the kind of data and minimal
calcs I do. There is normally an external link on the second page of the
invoice, when there is a second page, because I've never found a way to
link internally to the first embedded spreadsheet, and using a single
spreadsheet, has never given me the look I wanted to present. (I know,
stupid reason for not using a single spreadsheet with recurring headers.)
The link is removed here. I had tried removing the link from the two page
invoices, in case that was the cause, a while ago. But this also is a
problem with one page invoices. So it's not that. I haven't actually used a
template in ages. Just clear the previous month's invoice and save to a new
file. I know, my system could be streamlined in so many ways, but I seem to
never give myself enough time to do my internal change requests. ;)

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Regina Henschel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> QC schrieb:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Mike Scott <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It looks as though he has a writer file with an embedded calc document.
>>> Exporting as docx indeed renders the embedded spreadsheet as an image.
>>> I'm
>>> not sure what he would expect to happen - embed an LO spreadsheet in a MS
>>> Word document!? Translate the spreadsheet to something Word supports in
>>> the
>>> same way (IIRC not in general possible but IANAE) Or what?
>>>
>>> I do indeed have a LO writer document with an embedded calc object. I
>>>
>> downloaded this as a template from the then official  Open Office
>> templates
>> site, oh about 10 years ago. It's not my design. But it's worked for me
>> for
>> years.
>>

> Can you please sent me the template? If it is so old, it might be, that it
> has not embedded an ods-spreadsheet but a sxc-spreadsheet.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

12 « Prev