LibreOffce 6.2.4 won't start after upgrade on Debian 9.9

Allen Seelye Allen Seelye

LibreOffce 6.2.4 won't start after upgrade on Debian 9.9

Good afternoon,

I am running Debian 9.9 and the system us fully up-to-date. I tried up
upgrade LibreOffice this morning, and now it will not start.

If I start it from the desktop, the splash screen comes up and the
progress bar moves about 1/3 of the way, then it goes away and nothing
happens.

If I start it from the command line with "libreoffice6.2 --writer", the
same thing happens only the terminal spits out "Application error".

-I've tried logging into the system with a brand new user, same results.
-I've checked to make sure there are no LibreOffice processes running.
-I've done "apt purge LibreOffice*" and verified that anything
LibreOffice is removed from the system, rebooted, then installed and
rebooted again, same problem.
-Tried installing the old version again, no good.

I'm at a loss now. It was working this morning, and told me there was a
new version available, which is what started all of this.

Any ideas?

--
Allen Seelye
A Linux user since 1997.

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: LibreOffce 6.2.4 won't start after upgrade on Debian 9.9

You can find Linux installation instructions here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Install/Linux

We suggest to download the DEBS from the LibreOffice mirror system, and
install them according to the instructions.

Best regards.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli

Allen Seelye Allen Seelye

Re: LibreOffce 6.2.4 won't start after upgrade on Debian 9.9

I neglected to mention that this is how I'm installing it. I'm installing the latest version from the LibreOffice web site.

--
Allen Seelye
A Linux user since 1997.

June 23, 2019 1:08 PM, "Italo Vignoli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can find Linux installation instructions here:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Install/Linux
>
> We suggest to download the DEBS from the LibreOffice mirror system, and
> install them according to the instructions.
>
> Best regards.
>
> On 20/06/19 19:37, Allen Seelye wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I am running Debian 9.9 and the system us fully up-to-date. I tried up
>> upgrade LibreOffice this morning, and now it will not start.
>>
>> If I start it from the desktop, the splash screen comes up and the
>> progress bar moves about 1/3 of the way, then it goes away and nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> If I start it from the command line with "libreoffice6.2 --writer", the
>> same thing happens only the terminal spits out "Application error".
>>
>> -I've tried logging into the system with a brand new user, same results.
>> -I've checked to make sure there are no LibreOffice processes running.
>> -I've done "apt purge LibreOffice*" and verified that anything
>> LibreOffice is removed from the system, rebooted, then installed and
>> rebooted again, same problem.
>> -Tried installing the old version again, no good.
>>
>> I'm at a loss now. It was working this morning, and told me there was a
>> new version available, which is what started all of this.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
> mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
> hangout/jabber [hidden email]
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: LibreOffce 6.2.4 won't start after upgrade on Debian 9.9

Try using the program selector icon.  See there is an icon there that
will complete the loading of the program.

Although the LibreOffice Icon may still exist, direct installation may
not be updated to 'start' the program from that icon.

The program selector is direct.

Hope this helps.

Paul

sberg sberg

On 20/06/2019 19:37, Allen Seelye wrote:
> If I start it from the command line with "libreoffice6.2 --writer", the
> same thing happens only the terminal spits out "Application error".

Do the TDF deb downloads like
<https://www.libreoffice.org/donate/dl/deb-x86_64/6.2.4/en-US/LibreOffice_6.2.4_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz>
(assuming that's what you actually installed) contain a libreoffice6.2
program?  I don't think so.  Try running LO directly with a full path,
`/opt/libreoffice6.2/program/soffice`.

> -I've tried logging into the system with a brand new user, same results.

Even though that would indicate otherwise...

[...]
> -Tried installing the old version again, no good.

...this makes it likely that it is an issue with your user profile
(<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile>).  See if
`/opt/libreoffice6.2/program/soffice --safe-mode` helps.