LibreOffice 3.3 - Is there a manual update option?

libre2112 libre2112

LibreOffice 3.3 - Is there a manual update option?

Hi Everyone,

I switched from OOo to LibreOffice.

According to the help file (Dec 2010), there is an option to check for manual updates.
http://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Check_for_Updates_1

I do not see the menu item under Help.
If I open Tools - Options - LibreOffice, the Update settings do not exist.

Operating System:  Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
LibreOffice Version: 3.3 Final (Windows)

Was this feature omitted or delayed? Did I miss a step in the installation?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
GP
krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LibreOffice 3.3 - Is there a manual update option?

On 02/10/2011 07:58 AM, libre2112 wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I switched from OOo to LibreOffice.
>
> According to the help file (Dec 2010), there is an option to check for
> manual updates.
> http://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Check_for_Updates_1
>
> I do not see the menu item under Help.
> If I open Tools - Options - LibreOffice, the Update settings do not exist.
>
> Operating System:  Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
> LibreOffice Version: 3.3 Final (Windows)
>
> Was this feature omitted or delayed? Did I miss a step in the installation?
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> GP
It use to be in the upper right-hand corner of the OOo version of the
code.  It is not there in Ubuntu's/Debian LibreOffice 3.3 that I am
running.  I cannot find any place in the "tools/options" menus or any
other place where it can be turned one or off.

The problem with the one for the OOo 3.2.1 was it kept telling me that
there was a new version for OOo, but it linked to the RC versions that
were out.  I do not know if OOo dumped that code before LibreOffice was
split off last year, or if it was dropped for the time being by
LibreOffice because it linked to the Betas and RC versions.  There was a
time when that "update manager" also looked to see if there were any
extension updates and there was no way your could deselect some of the
extensions that either moved their web addresses or no longer exists.  I
have a bunch of OOOP [Oxygen Open Office Professional?] accessories,
templates and gallery add ons and such.  Every time that and a few other
extensions look for updates, there is an error generated.  If there was
an automatic system to go out to the Net and look an see if the
different web sites have updates, and then the web sites change who and
where the downloads are located, it would be hard with the old system to
keep up-to-date on which add on update is located and if it is still
online anymore.

Maybe until there is a better automatic update finder system is
developed, they powers that be disabled that part of the coding to stop
listing Betas, RCs, errors for unknown update locations, etc..  I never
paid attention to that update message anyways.  I look for updates
manually when I get the time to decide if I want the update and/or is it
worth the bother.

libre2112 libre2112

Re: LibreOffice 3.3 - Is there a manual update option?

I searched the forums and the Internet before posting my questions. The responses to posts from other people with the same problem indicate the menu items and option settings exist. I was wondering if my installation was different or if I was looking in the wrong place for the update options.  Thanks for the feedback.

On 02/10/2011 03:06 PM, libre2112 wrote:
> I searched the forums and the Internet before posting my questions. The
> items and option settings exist. I was wondering if my installation was
> different or if I was looking in the wrong place for the update options.
> Thanks for the feedback.

I know that I could not find any of the listed option menus that was in
the documentation.  I have Ubuntu 64-bit install and the menu items and
options settings do NOT exist on my install.  So it may be that if you
do not see it, and I do not see it, then if we both downloaded the
package from the LibreOffice site, then their may be some other reason.
If the people who do see the menu items, then could they have a
different setup, like some other version as in the PPA version but with
options that is not in ours?  Could that code/module for updating have
been left out or disabled on several versions, but not on others due to
a porting issue to the various platforms?

libre2112 libre2112

Re: LibreOffice 3.3 - Is there a manual update option?

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit as well and loaded LO 3.3 with the PPA's. Same thing. Thanks for the confirmation.