LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

JW JW

LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

Last night I downloaded and installed LO 3.5.1 and soon discovered that
unlike 3.4.5 - in writer, there is no boundary line around the area where
you type. There seems to be only an L shaped mark at each page corner.

Is there a way to get the text boundary line back?

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

Le 17/03/2012 21:50, Jonathon Waterman a écrit :
> Last night I downloaded and installed LO 3.5.1 and soon discovered that
> unlike 3.4.5 - in writer, there is no boundary line around the area where
> you type. There seems to be only an L shaped mark at each page corner.
>
> Is there a way to get the text boundary line back?

No. In this branch (v.5.x), it is like that. A fix is already in place
in the v.6.x branch under development. There, the textboundary is
[de]activated with the non-printable characters display setting which
seems fine to me.

I'm looking forward to getting v6 :)
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

JW JW

Re: LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

You won't be the only one. Thanks for the quick reply Jean-Francois.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 17/03/2012 21:50, Jonathon Waterman a écrit :
>
>  Last night I downloaded and installed LO 3.5.1 and soon discovered that
>> unlike 3.4.5 - in writer, there is no boundary line around the area where
>> you type. There seems to be only an L shaped mark at each page corner.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the text boundary line back?
>>

> No. In this branch (v.5.x), it is like that. A fix is already in place in
> the v.6.x branch under development. There, the textboundary is
> [de]activated with the non-printable characters display setting which seems
> fine to me.
>
> I'm looking forward to getting v6 :)
> --
> Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

Bottom post:

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 19:24 -0400, Jonathon Waterman wrote:

> You won't be the only one. Thanks for the quick reply Jean-Francois.
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Le 17/03/2012 21:50, Jonathon Waterman a écrit :
> >
> >  Last night I downloaded and installed LO 3.5.1 and soon discovered that
> >> unlike 3.4.5 - in writer, there is no boundary line around the area where
> >> you type. There seems to be only an L shaped mark at each page corner.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to get the text boundary line back?
> >>

> > No. In this branch (v.5.x), it is like that. A fix is already in place in
> > the v.6.x branch under development. There, the textboundary is
> > [de]activated with the non-printable characters display setting which seems
> > fine to me.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to getting v6 :)
> > --
> > Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

     If you want this border and don't want to wait, try these steps
after
opening an new Writer document:

1)  Open the Styles and Formatting window using the F11 key.
2)  Click the Page Styles icon (should be fourth icon from the left) to
get the
    list of Page styles.
3)  Right click Default in that list and select New from the context
menu.
4)  Enter a name for the new page style. (I used 'My Default Page
style'.)
5)  Click the Borders tab (yours probably reads Bourders).
6)  In the Line arraignment section click the second icon from the left
under
    the Default. This should create a four-sided border. Select the
Color:
    suggestion, gray 10% in the drop-down Color list.
7)  Click OK.
8)  Double click the name of your new page style to apply it to the
page.
9)  Click the Save icon.
10) Name the document. (I used 'My Default template'.)
11) Change the File type to 'ODF Text Document Template (.ott)'
12) Save the file in the Documents folder.
13) File > Templates > Organize (This opens the Templates Managememt
dialog.)
14) Right click 'My Templates' in the list on the left.
15) Select 'Import templates'.
16) Browse to your template in the Documents folder, click it to
highlight it,
    and click Open. (The 'My Templates' has opened and your template is
listed
    in it.
17) Right click your template and select 'Set As Default Template', and
click Close.
       Seems like quite a few steps, but now every time you open a new
text document, you will have the border you want.
       How do you remove this border when you have created your
document? Two choices: double click Default in the list of Page styles,
or Right click Your page style, select Modify, click the Bourders tab,
click the left icon below Default to remove all of the bourders. Click
OK.

Perhaps this will help.
--Dan

JW JW

Re: LibreOffice 3.5.1 Writer text boundary

Thanks for sharing these procedures, Dan. I appreciate it.