LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

S o H o N Y C S o H o N Y C

LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Hi Guys,

  my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.

  Any ideas of a fix? maybe 4.1.3 RC1 can help? Thanks in advance for your response

Regards

Stefano

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

On 2013-10-22 6:47 AM, S o H o N Y C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.

What platform?

What version of java (32bit or 64bit) Libreoffice will only work with
32bit java.

snowshed snowshed

On 10/22/13 2:50 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-10-22 6:47 AM, S o H o N Y C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.
>
> What platform?

It's in the subject line!   <BG>  Sorry, couldn't resist!     LOL

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.1.2

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

On 2013-10-22 4:47 AM S o H o N Y C wrote concerning "LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9
(Mavericks)":
> Hi Guys,
>
>    my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.

On menu bar go to LibreOffice/Preferences/LibreOffice/Advanced.
Make sure the box is checked besides "Use a Java runtime environment"
Under "Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:" check the circle besides the
installed version.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

On 22/10/2013 12:47, S o H o N Y C wrote:

Hi,

>   my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.
>
>   Any ideas of a fix? maybe 4.1.3 RC1 can help? Thanks in advance for your response

Currently, LO is released as a 32bit program on Mac OSX and consequently
requires a 32bit Java VM. Mountain Lion provides both 32bit and 64bit
versions of JVM, but I have no idea whether Maverick still continues to
provide that 32bit version of the Apple supplied JVM.

Additionally, there may simply be as yet undiscovered bugs in LO with
regard to Maverick. As far as I know, no one on the Mac dev team is
building LO on OSX Maverick (hardly surprising as it was only officially
released yesterday ?). It is possible to obtain test releases of LO for
the 64bit architecture, but these are considered works in progress. Look
for the OSX daily builds with the x86_64 tag, there used to be at least
one machine producing them.

My own-built 64bit developer builds seem to work mostly OK, but I
haven't made the switch to Maverick yet.

Alex

Tom Tom

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Hi :)
Actually it is probably better to just switch Java off.  Chances are that
you are not really using it anyway so you can avoid these sorts of issues
just by switching it off
Tools - Options - Advanced ?
and UNtick the box at the very top that asks if you want to use the broken
mess of Oracle coding that we lovingly call Java and that Homeland Security
have apparently warned companies to stop using.

If you really are using Java then you will just get an error message at
some point in the future at which point you just re-tick the box.  Not much
of a problem.

LibreOffice used to have quite a lot of Java in it's code but that has
almost entirely been written out or converted to Python or C++ which are a
LOT more stable and far less dependant on the whims of a single
profit-making company.

At some point Oracle will probably release a "Professional" or "Enterprise"
version of Java which will fix most of the problems that Java currently has
but it's not clear how much they would charge or what licensing they would
use.  So far they seem to have been following a good strategy for turning
something from being free into making it profitable although it'/s not
clear whether that was their intention or whether they really are
incompetent at producing secure coding.  (just my own opinion)

About 6 months - 1 year ago there was a report saying that only around 12%
of LibreOffice's code was still in java and most of that was in wizards
that almost no-one ever uses.  That 12% will probably have shrunk quite
drastically.  Java also sometimes gets used is when using Base with it's
internal back-end (which is possibly the worst way of using Base right
now).  Generally start with that but then swiftly move the data tables into
something like MySql (Oracle's again), MariaDB (doesn't work on Macs
apparently), Postgresql or one of the tiny fast back-ends fro smaller
databases.  There is work going on to switch to a more recent version of a
different database program for the internal back-end and that should be a
huge improvement.

The only other place Java gets used is a lot of the Accessibility stuff
such as screen-readers.  Sadly there is no way around that one :(  We are
hoping that a ton of coding gets pulled in from external sources to
massively improve accessibility.  There are people working on the
accessibility stuff so if you have Java for that they might be able to help
but their fixes might not be relevant for other users.

snowshed snowshed

On 10/23/13 3:05 AM, Alex Thurgood wrote:

> On 22/10/2013 12:47, S o H o N Y C wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>>    my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.
>>
>>    Any ideas of a fix? maybe 4.1.3 RC1 can help? Thanks in advance for your response
>>

> Currently, LO is released as a 32bit program on Mac OSX and consequently
> requires a 32bit Java VM. Mountain Lion provides both 32bit and 64bit
> versions of JVM, but I have no idea whether Maverick still continues to
> provide that 32bit version of the Apple supplied JVM.
>
> Additionally, there may simply be as yet undiscovered bugs in LO with
> regard to Maverick. As far as I know, no one on the Mac dev team is
> building LO on OSX Maverick (hardly surprising as it was only officially
> released yesterday ?).

Alex, apologies for the cynicism, but they could have gotten a
developer's preview version of Mavericks before it was released.  I have
two commercial programs installed here that did just that, so they could
have their software ready for the Mavericks release.

I doubt money would have been an issue, anyone upgrading to Mavericks
gets the new OS for free.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.1.2

Florian Effenberger-4 Florian Effenberger-4

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Hello Stefano,

S o H o N Y C wrote on 2013-10-22 12:47:
>    my copy of  LibreOffice 4.1.2 keeps crashing as soon as I start editing a text document. It keeps asking for Java Runtime SE 6.0 even though it is installed already.
>
>    Any ideas of a fix? maybe 4.1.3 RC1 can help? Thanks in advance for your response

I am not subscribed to this list, so please Cc me for replies.

I cannot confirm this behaviour. I run 4.1.2 on 10.9. The first start
provoked a crash when editing a document, asking for Java - having
confirmed the Java download in OS X, it works like a charm for me.

Do you have only the Apple-provided Java installed, or also a
third-party one?

Florian

sberg sberg

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Stefano,

I assume you have installed some LibreOffice extension for spell/grammar checking or similar that uses Java.  That might explain it if you experience crashes now when typing in Writer after upgrading to Mavericks (which appears to replace any pre-existing Java installation with a "download it now" stub).

Can you provide a list of LibreOffice extensions you have installed ("Tools - Extension Manager...")?

(I cannot reproduce the problem here on a Mavericks box, where I went through that Java "download it now" procedure shortly after upgrade from Mountain Lion, and now have Java working apparently just fine in both 32- and 64-bit builds of LibreOffice.)

Stephan
sberg sberg

On 10/24/2013 05:18 PM, sberg wrote:
> I assume you have installed some LibreOffice extension for spell/grammar
> checking or similar that uses Java.  That might explain it if you experience
> crashes now when typing in Writer after upgrading to Mavericks (which
> appears to replace any pre-existing Java installation with a "download it
> now" stub).
>
> Can you provide a list of LibreOffice extensions you have installed ("Tools
> - Extension Manager...")?

Meanwhile found out that it is the wiki-publisher extension (which comes
bundled with LibreOffice by default) that requires a Java VM to be
instantiated in the LibreOffice process as soon as you type the first
letter in Writer.  (See
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2013-October/056991.html>
"Why typing in Writer instantiates the JVM on Mac OS X" for details.)

So, one quick fix for people who are stuck with Writer keeping crashing
would probably be to move away the wiki-publisher extension that is
bundled in the LibreOffice installation.  To do that in Finder, first
make sure LibreOffice is not running, then navigate to the LibreOffice
(aka LibreOffice.app) application, from the right-click menu select
"Show Package Contents", there navigate from "Contents" to "share" to
"extensions" and move the "wiki-publisher" folder to the trash (or move
it to some other place outside the "extensions" folder).  Then create a
new folder (with more or less arbitrary name, you can use "Dummy")
within the "extensions" folder.  When you start LibreOffice again, the
problem should be gone (it might show a "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly"
dialog once directly while starting, which is an unrelated problem and a
different story, in which case just press the "Reopen" button).

Stephan

On 23/10/2013 18:31, Ken Springer wrote:

> Alex, apologies for the cynicism, but they could have gotten a
> developer's preview version of Mavericks before it was released.  I have
> two commercial programs installed here that did just that, so they could
> have their software ready for the Mavericks release.
>
> I doubt money would have been an issue, anyone upgrading to Mavericks
> gets the new OS for free.

Well my upgrade to Mavericks hosed my MacMini OSX 10.8.5 installation
and the hard disk on which it was installed, to the extent that the
installation would not complete, the system would not reboot, and the
disk could not even be repaired - now that's what I call a
professionally made OS, thanks Apple ;-)

Will now have to see if TimeMachine did the backups properly...

Alex

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Alex,

Ouch!  Any idea what failed, so as the rest of us can avoid it? ;-)
I'd been looking at a Mavericks upgrade on a late model MacMini I've been playing with.

None the less good luck with recovery!

Stuart

snowshed snowshed

On 10/25/13 4:35 AM, Alex Thurgood wrote:

> On 23/10/2013 18:31, Ken Springer wrote:
>

>> Alex, apologies for the cynicism, but they could have gotten a
>> developer's preview version of Mavericks before it was released.  I have
>> two commercial programs installed here that did just that, so they could
>> have their software ready for the Mavericks release.
>>
>> I doubt money would have been an issue, anyone upgrading to Mavericks
>> gets the new OS for free.
>>

> Well my upgrade to Mavericks hosed my MacMini OSX 10.8.5 installation
> and the hard disk on which it was installed, to the extent that the
> installation would not complete, the system would not reboot, and the
> disk could not even be repaired - now that's what I call a
> professionally made OS, thanks Apple ;-)

Things like this is why I'm leery of upgrading.  But I also see no
reason to upgrade.  From reading Apple's Mavericks page, it sounds like
the major changes are mostly better interoperability with iOS.  I don't
have a single iOS device, so that means nothing to me.  Tabbed browsing
I solved some time ago using XtraFinder (free).  Tags, which aren't the
magic jelly bean for searches some think it is, are supported by
PathFinder 6 which I also have installed.

I have Mountain Lion installed with two boot partitions.  I wonder if,
destroying one by Mavericks would also destroy the ability to boot from
the other partition.

> Will now have to see if TimeMachine did the backups properly...

The couple times I've used Time Machine to restore my computer due to my
errors, it's worked fine.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.1.2

Tom Tom

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Well found!!

Thanks for sharing that fix.  it's a bit weird to have something like that
enabled by default but i guess it is quite useful for a lot of people.
Personally i do all my wiki-editing either directly in the page's built-in
editor but occasionally copy&paste into GEdit or something.  Word made me
suspicious of using a word-processor for that sort of thing and i've never
tried Writer for it.

On 25 October 2013 07:59, Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/24/2013 05:18 PM, sberg wrote:
>
>> I assume you have installed some LibreOffice extension for spell/grammar
>> checking or similar that uses Java.  That might explain it if you
>> experience
>> crashes now when typing in Writer after upgrading to Mavericks (which
>> appears to replace any pre-existing Java installation with a "download it
>> now" stub).
>>
>> Can you provide a list of LibreOffice extensions you have installed
>> ("Tools
>> - Extension Manager...")?
>>

> Meanwhile found out that it is the wiki-publisher extension (which comes
> bundled with LibreOffice by default) that requires a Java VM to be
> instantiated in the LibreOffice process as soon as you type the first
> letter in Writer.  (See <http://lists.freedesktop.org/**
> archives/libreoffice/2013-**October/056991.html<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2013-October/056991.html>>
> "Why typing in Writer instantiates the JVM on Mac OS X" for details.)
>
> So, one quick fix for people who are stuck with Writer keeping crashing
> would probably be to move away the wiki-publisher extension that is bundled
> in the LibreOffice installation.  To do that in Finder, first make sure
> LibreOffice is not running, then navigate to the LibreOffice (aka
> LibreOffice.app) application, from the right-click menu select "Show
> Package Contents", there navigate from "Contents" to "share" to
> "extensions" and move the "wiki-publisher" folder to the trash (or move it
> to some other place outside the "extensions" folder).  Then create a new
> folder (with more or less arbitrary name, you can use "Dummy") within the
> "extensions" folder.  When you start LibreOffice again, the problem should
> be gone (it might show a "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly" dialog once
> directly while starting, which is an unrelated problem and a different
> story, in which case just press the "Reopen" button).
>
> Stephan

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

I have rebooted and the crash on opening  (the result of letting LO try
to install java from software update on 10.9) of LO 4.1.2.3 has stopped.
LO is now back to prompting for java (there is no access to LO itself)
Tried saying yes to LO's java install via Software Update again -- this
time it results in no change in behavior

Am I correct here in concluding that neither Apple nor Oracle offer a 32
bit java for Mavericks and that as a result users who have updated to
Mavericks will simply be barred from using LO henceforth until some
unspecified time in the future?

BRAVO!

Anyone know of an office suite that works with Mavericks, lol

if the problem is only in extensions,  can one use the command line
unopkg to lost and delete the extension causing the problem?
BUT
isn't the zotero plugin java based, and how many thousands of users are
going to be happy about doing without zotero?

At the least, LO should put up a huge banner that says that LO will not
necessarily work with Mavericks and that users are advised NOT to upgrade

sberg sberg

On 10/31/2013 06:41 PM, Marc Grober wrote:

> I have rebooted and the crash on opening  (the result of letting LO try
> to install java from software update on 10.9) of LO 4.1.2.3 has stopped.
> LO is now back to prompting for java (there is no access to LO itself)
> Tried saying yes to LO's java install via Software Update again -- this
> time it results in no change in behavior
>
> Am I correct here in concluding that neither Apple nor Oracle offer a 32
> bit java for Mavericks and that as a result users who have updated to
> Mavericks will simply be barred from using LO henceforth until some
> unspecified time in the future?

No.  The Apple-provided JRE 6 supports both 32 and 64 bit.

> Anyone know of an office suite that works with Mavericks, lol

Note that there are cases where LO works on Mavericks just fine.  There
are other cases where it reportedly doesn't, but without more specific
data it is hard to tell why (at lest for somebody who never was able to
reproduce the problem).

> if the problem is only in extensions,  can one use the command line
> unopkg to lost and delete the extension causing the problem?

Quoting what I wrote in the "LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9
(Mavericks)" thread on this mailing list:  "So, one quick fix for people

sberg sberg

On 10/25/2013 08:59 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> On 10/24/2013 05:18 PM, sberg wrote:
>> I assume you have installed some LibreOffice extension for spell/grammar
>> checking or similar that uses Java.  That might explain it if you
>> experience
>> crashes now when typing in Writer after upgrading to Mavericks (which
>> appears to replace any pre-existing Java installation with a "download it
>> now" stub).
>>
>> Can you provide a list of LibreOffice extensions you have installed
>> ("Tools
>> - Extension Manager...")?
>
> Meanwhile found out that it is the wiki-publisher extension (which comes
> bundled with LibreOffice by default) that requires a Java VM to be
> instantiated in the LibreOffice process as soon as you type the first
> letter in Writer.  (See
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2013-October/056991.html>
> "Why typing in Writer instantiates the JVM on Mac OS X" for details.)
>
> So, one quick fix for people who are stuck with Writer keeping crashing
> would probably be to move away the wiki-publisher extension that is
> bundled in the LibreOffice installation.  To do that in Finder, first
> make sure LibreOffice is not running, then navigate to the LibreOffice
> (aka LibreOffice.app) application, from the right-click menu select
> "Show Package Contents", there navigate from "Contents" to "share" to
> "extensions" and move the "wiki-publisher" folder to the trash (or move
> it to some other place outside the "extensions" folder).  Then create a
> new folder (with more or less arbitrary name, you can use "Dummy")
> within the "extensions" folder.  When you start LibreOffice again, the
> problem should be gone (it might show a "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly"
> dialog once directly while starting, which is an unrelated problem and a
> different story, in which case just press the "Reopen" button).

Note that LO 4.1.3 for Mac OS X from
<http://www.libreoffice.org/download> comes without a bundled Wiki
Publisher extension.

Stephan

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Mavericks Apple Java WAS installed on my machine before LO was invoked,
so it was not simply a matter of Java not being on the machine at the
time of the invocation if Apple supplies as before 32 and 64 bit Java.

How did anyone at LO argue that LO would work under Mavericks if using a
JVM crashes LO?  Under what circumstances will LO NOT crash if Use JVM
is selected prior to upgrade?  And if the devs knew that Mavericks would
cause LO to crash over a week ago, why wasn't that published clearly?

In my case Java was repeatedly installed after the LO problem, with no
impact on LO

LO  blew up even if one started the product by opening a calc file; one
did not have to open write and enter any keystrokes -- by blew up I mean
that the app simply disappears and generates no crash or error report.
It does so starting from command line or gui  --  in any event my case
indicates that the problem IS NOT limited to entering text

It will still crash any time you access Zotero, though I now have it
stable enough that I can otherwise use it

so, at present, Zotero plugin will not work with LO because Zotero, no
matter the java supplied to the OS, will not recognize it.

I started a new thread because the existing one seemed to be slipping
sideways :-)

On 11/1/13, 1:24 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> On 10/25/2013 08:59 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> On 10/24/2013 05:18 PM, sberg wrote:
>>> I assume you have installed some LibreOffice extension for
>>> spell/grammar
>>> checking or similar that uses Java.  That might explain it if you
>>> experience
>>> crashes now when typing in Writer after upgrading to Mavericks (which
>>> appears to replace any pre-existing Java installation with a
>>> "download it
>>> now" stub).
>>>
>>> Can you provide a list of LibreOffice extensions you have installed
>>> ("Tools
>>> - Extension Manager...")?
>>
>> Meanwhile found out that it is the wiki-publisher extension (which comes
>> bundled with LibreOffice by default) that requires a Java VM to be
>> instantiated in the LibreOffice process as soon as you type the first
>> letter in Writer.  (See
>> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2013-October/056991.html>
>>
>> "Why typing in Writer instantiates the JVM on Mac OS X" for details.)
>>
>> So, one quick fix for people who are stuck with Writer keeping crashing
>> would probably be to move away the wiki-publisher extension that is
>> bundled in the LibreOffice installation.  To do that in Finder, first
>> make sure LibreOffice is not running, then navigate to the LibreOffice
>> (aka LibreOffice.app) application, from the right-click menu select
>> "Show Package Contents", there navigate from "Contents" to "share" to
>> "extensions" and move the "wiki-publisher" folder to the trash (or move
>> it to some other place outside the "extensions" folder).  Then create a
>> new folder (with more or less arbitrary name, you can use "Dummy")
>> within the "extensions" folder.  When you start LibreOffice again, the
>> problem should be gone (it might show a "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly"
>> dialog once directly while starting, which is an unrelated problem and a
>> different story, in which case just press the "Reopen" button).
>
> Note that LO 4.1.3 for Mac OS X from
> <http://www.libreoffice.org/download> comes without a bundled Wiki
> Publisher extension.
>
> Stephan

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Le 25/10/2013 14:35, Ken Springer a écrit :

Hi Ken,

> I have Mountain Lion installed with two boot partitions.  I wonder if,
> destroying one by Mavericks would also destroy the ability to boot from
> the other partition.

No, it doesn't and this is what saved me in the end. On my Mac mini I
had two hard disks, and Mavericks installed itself in the end on the
second one, overwriting the backup I had on it without telling me in
advance (nice). After several reboots, I can now actually use a cordless
mouse and my keyboard has been recognized again (why, I don't know). I
can now even read the data on my old OSX installation drive, but not
write to it. I see that the Mavericks installation created a folder
there with disk images and other data in it, which I shall remove after
saving it to external storage. At least I can now copy the contents of
my old Applications folder to the new installation Applications folder.

I have to say, this has been the worst OSX upgrade I've ever had the
misfortune to suffer. Had I only had one disk, I would've been well and
truly stuffed.

Alex