LibreOffice_5.1.0.3

Steven Howe Steven Howe

LibreOffice_5.1.0.3

I use DSL. I have 128K bits up, 1 mbits down. This is not uncommon.

Some issue with 'remote' file mode.
1) saving takes forever. The lock state is not good for remote file save. Spin that task off. That's what multithreading is for.
2) local temp storage vs network. Use local for recovery. Not everyone has gigibit bandwidth. Image I start the program and has to connect to google drive to even finish starting up? What If my network is down? Local lock files please.

I'd like to type 'ctrl-s' and get back to work, not wait for my Google Drive to release me, if ever. I wait minutes the first time I use this version. Let that process run in the background. Get back to typing.

Jim Cobley Jim Cobley

Re: Remote File Acess

1Mb up & 4Mb down - Remote NAS - LO 5.0.4.2
Using LO was v.slow until I set the temp folder to a local drive - now it is "within expectations" for remote file access.
In my case I need the remote lock for multi-system/user access

On startup selecting "File-Recent" takes ages presumably while remote files (many) are checked to see if they are there - this is what should be spun off. I already know if my network is up or down and if the file is likely to have been removed or not so a recent file can still be listed as recent. It was initially very unnerving to see many missing from the recent list when the Internet link was down at system startup (!?@ NFS & Mount)
Better to just be told "Can't find file" when and if an inaccessible file is selected but continue to list as recent if it really was.

On 18/02/16 06:22, Steven Howe wrote:
I use DSL. I have 128K bits up, 1 mbits down. This is not uncommon.

Some issue with 'remote' file mode.
1) saving takes forever. The lock state is not good for remote file save. Spin that task off. That's what multithreading is for.
2) local temp storage vs network. Use local for recovery. Not everyone has gigibit bandwidth. Image I start the program and has to connect to google drive to even finish starting up? What If my network is down? Local lock files please.

I'd like to type 'ctrl-s' and get back to work, not wait for my Google Drive to release me, if ever. I wait minutes the first time I use this version. Let that process run in the background. Get back to typing.

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: LibreOffice_5.1.0.3

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:22:58PM -0800, Steven Howe wrote:
> Some issue with 'remote' file mode.

great that you are using LibreOffice! Unfortunately, this is the wrong list for
user support. Please consider:

 [hidden email] or
 https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

instead. This list is for actively developing LibreOffice itself only.

Thanks,

Bjoern
Steven Howe Steven Howe

Re: LibreOffice_5.1.0.3

Actively developing ... I thought that would be the correct place to point out the issue, to the developers? You know, so they could rework the problem, make the software better ... developer sort of thing?

The feature is there. It works poorly. I was pointing that out to the developers.
My bad.

Sorry for the misdirection. Thanks for the pointer.

Steven

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:22:58PM -0800, Steven Howe wrote:
> Some issue with 'remote' file mode.

great that you are using LibreOffice! Unfortunately, this is the wrong list for
user support. Please consider:

 [hidden email] or
 https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

instead. This list is for actively developing LibreOffice itself only.

Thanks,

Bjoern

Chris Sherlock Chris Sherlock

Re: LibreOffice_5.1.0.3

It is definitely valuable feedback :-)

Are you actively working on it and need some code pointers? If that's the case, then this list is definitely the one to ask on, so others can help just let us know what you've tried so we can make sure we don't go over old ground.

Otherwise, if there isn't already a bug logged it sounds like this is a prime candidate so it can be tracked and someone (or multiple people!) can work on it.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to note this. Even if it is just a heads up to let us know about an issue, I think it's good for us to acknowledge that you've taken the time and effort to look into this, and I know I for one appreciate it.

Thanks, Steven :-)

Chris