LibreOffice Base fails to connect to remote mariadb

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

LibreOffice Base fails to connect to remote mariadb

Having tried unsuccessfully to connect my remote mariadb from
LibreOffice Base under Leap 15.0, I am still having problems under Leap
15.1. My LO version is 6.1.3.2.

The JDBC and ODBC drivers 'fail to load'.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this
problem systematically?

For example with ODBC: What is the syntax for the name of the 'ODBC
data source'?
I am getting the error "SQL Status: IM002 [unixODBC][Driver
Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified"

I have no problem to connect to the remote database with, say, Mysql
workbench or phpMyAdmin from the same client desktop, so the database
is accessible.

Cheers
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Base fails to connect to remote mariadb

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 21:47 +0200, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
>
> have the same system here and have written down all what I have
> tested here:
> http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_xhtml/Base_02_DatenbankErstel
> len.xhtml#__RefHeading__875_19302748411
>
> Its part of the German Base-Handbuch.
>
> Older (bad) translated versions:
> http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_en/BH5002-CreatingADatabase.o
> dt
> OR
> http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_en/BH5002-CreatingADatabase_H
> R_JHW_20151220.odt
>
> Regrads
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

Thanks for the inputs. What needed to be installed for the jdbc
alternative was the mysql-connector-java package.

However, whereas I can now connect successfully with jdbc to the
database, my existing (LO) input forms won't let me change the data.The
form controls are completely deactivated.

Cheers
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Base fails to connect to remote mariadb

Hi Harvey,

> However, whereas I can now connect successfully with jdbc to the
> database, my existing (LO) input forms won't let me change the data.The
> form controls are completely deactivated.

Open one of the tables, not a form. Could you input data here? If not:
Base is missing a primary key for the table. Input of data will be only
possible through Tools > SQL (or by macro) without a primary key.

Regards

Robert

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

On Fri, 2019-07-12 at 16:08 +0200, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
> >
> > However, whereas I can now connect successfully with jdbc to the
> > database, my existing (LO) input forms won't let me change the
> > data.The
> > form controls are completely deactivated.
>
> Open one of the tables, not a form. Could you input data here? If
> not:
> Base is missing a primary key for the table. Input of data will be
> only
> possible through Tools > SQL (or by macro) without a primary key.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

Yes, I can enter data directly into a table.

Cheers
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Base fails to connect to remote mariadb

Hi Harvey,

> Yes, I can enter data directly into a table.

Now create a form (without subform) by the wizard for this table.

Could you enter data there? Then have a look to the datasource of the
other forms ...

Regards

Robert