LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...

zed zed

LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...

Thank you to all the members who replied so promptly to my request for
help.  It is very much appreciated.

One member sent me advice of another method to achieve what I wanted and
I am delighted to say it worked and I now have a database with the
fields I need, with one Table and one Form. I'm delighted with what I
have achieved but have a couple of queries.

I have a field named "Location" in which I enter the declared location
of a Youtube channel owner. In Calc, the name of a Location is
remembered and if I start typing it again it automatically appears.  It
doesn't happen in Base. Is there a way to "auto-complete" in Base?

One other thing I am having difficulty with,because of my current lack I
used it for the first time this morning and have come across a small
problem.of knowledge of databases, is how to sum a column of figures.

I have a field named "No." and another named "First" and I want to
choose a start date from the field "First" and get the sum of the
numbers in the field "No"  Is this possible, please?

Regards from New Zealand on a very cold but fine winter's afternoon,

Zed

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...

Comments inline:

On 7/31/20 20:14, zed wrote:

> Thank you to all the members who replied so promptly to my request for
> help.  It is very much appreciated.
>
> One member sent me advice of another method to achieve what I wanted
> and I am delighted to say it worked and I now have a database with the
> fields I need, with one Table and one Form. I'm delighted with what I
> have achieved but have a couple of queries.
>
> I have a field named "Location" in which I enter the declared location
> of a Youtube channel owner. In Calc, the name of a Location is
> remembered and if I start typing it again it automatically appears.
> It doesn't happen in Base. Is there a way to "auto-complete" in Base?
You can accomplish this using a list box. It is somewhat limited in that
the  table linked to this box contains all of the locations. (A combo
box is suppose to do this, but this is not always working correctly.)

> One other thing I am having difficulty with,because of my current lack
> I used it for the first time this morning and have come across a small
> problem.of knowledge of databases, is how to sum a column of figures.
>
> I have a field named "No." and another named "First" and I want to
> choose a start date from the field "First" and get the sum of the
> numbers in the field "No"  Is this possible, please?

For this I recommend a query. The two fields for it would be "No" and
"First". For "No", select the function "sum". For "First", its criterion
should be:  >mm/dd/yy where this is the start date. Make sure that the
"First" column does NOT have a check mark for visibility.

There is now a Base User Guide. (6.4) which should be able to answer
your questions. This mailing list has people to answers questions as
well. You can download the entire guide or individual chapters; ODT and PDF

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide

Dan

zed zed

On 1/08/20 2:14 pm, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Comments inline:
>
> On 7/31/20 20:14, zed wrote:
>> Thank you to all the members who replied so promptly to my request for
>> help.  It is very much appreciated.
>>
>> One member sent me advice of another method to achieve what I wanted
>> and I am delighted to say it worked and I now have a database with the
>> fields I need, with one Table and one Form. I'm delighted with what I
>> have achieved but have a couple of queries.
>>
>> I have a field named "Location" in which I enter the declared location
>> of a Youtube channel owner. In Calc, the name of a Location is
>> remembered and if I start typing it again it automatically appears. It
>> doesn't happen in Base. Is there a way to "auto-complete" in Base?
> You can accomplish this using a list box. It is somewhat limited in that
> the  table linked to this box contains all of the locations. (A combo
> box is suppose to do this, but this is not always working correctly.)
>>
>> One other thing I am having difficulty with,because of my current lack
>> I used it for the first time this morning and have come across a small
>> problem.of knowledge of databases, is how to sum a column of figures.
>>
>> I have a field named "No." and another named "First" and I want to
>> choose a start date from the field "First" and get the sum of the
>> numbers in the field "No"  Is this possible, please?
>
> For this I recommend a query. The two fields for it would be "No" and
> "First". For "No", select the function "sum". For "First", its criterion
> should be:  >mm/dd/yy where this is the start date. Make sure that the
> "First" column does NOT have a check mark for visibility.
>
> There is now a Base User Guide. (6.4) which should be able to answer
> your questions. This mailing list has people to answers questions as
> well. You can download the entire guide or individual chapters; ODT and PDF
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide

Hi Dan

Thank you for your very prompt reply. I followed your instructions and
it returned the sum of entries on the date entered. I obviously didn't
phrase my questions clearly enough, for what I wanted was the sum of all
entries for the period 01/07/2020 to 31/07/2020.  I cannot find how to
achieve what I want. so your further assistance would be very much
appreciated.

zed

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...

Hi zed,

> Thank you for your very prompt reply. I followed your instructions and
> it returned the sum of entries on the date entered. I obviously didn't
> phrase my questions clearly enough, for what I wanted was the sum of all
> entries for the period 01/07/2020 to 31/07/2020.  I cannot find how to
> achieve what I want. so your further assistance would be very much
> appreciated.

SELECT SUM("No") FROM "Tablename" WHERE "First" between '2020-07-01' AND
'2020-07-31'

Regards

Robert
--