LibreOffice - Base...

zed zed

LibreOffice - Base...

Using LinuxMint v17.0 Qiana qith the MATE DE.

Have followed with interest the recent discussins on Base and have decided
to try and learn how to use it, using PostGreSQL as the backend.  But -
and there is always one of those :-) - how many of the multitude of
postgrsql files in Synaptic do I need to install, please.

David
--
David Love
Oxymoron: smokeless cigarette

NoOp NoOp

Re: LibreOffice - Base...

On 08/05/2014 11:08 PM, David Love wrote:
> Using LinuxMint v17.0 Qiana qith the MATE DE.
>
> Have followed with interest the recent discussins on Base and have decided
> to try and learn how to use it, using PostGreSQL as the backend.  But -
> and there is always one of those :-) - how many of the multitude of
> postgrsql files in Synaptic do I need to install, please.
>
> David

These might be of help:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL>
<http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/18554/how-to-connect-base-to-to-postgresql/>
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+faq/2155>

Wolfgang Keller Wolfgang Keller

Re: LibreOffice - Base...

> Using LinuxMint v17.0 Qiana qith the MATE DE.
>
> Have followed with interest the recent discussins on Base and have
> decided to try and learn how to use it, using PostGreSQL as the
> backend.  But - and there is always one of those :-) - how many of
> the multitude of postgrsql files in Synaptic do I need to install,
> please.

Based on whether it's the Ubuntu-based or the Debian-based Mint
variant, installation instructions are here:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/

If you're new to PostgreSQL, it's probably a good idea to subscribe to
the mailinglists:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: LibreOffice - Base...

Le 06/08/2014 08:08, David Love a écrit :
> Using LinuxMint v17.0 Qiana qith the MATE DE.

I have Mint 17 Cinnamon

> Have followed with interest the recent discussins on Base and have decided
> to try and learn how to use it, using PostGreSQL as the backend.  But -
> and there is always one of those :-) - how many of the multitude of
> postgrsql files in Synaptic do I need to install, please.

postgresql-9.3
postgresql-client-9.3
postgresql-contrib-9.3
postgresql-doc-9.3
libpq5
libreoffice-base-drivers
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql

That should probably do it.

Note that the documentation is optional, but nonetheless useful ;-)
It can be read in your browser by entering the following into the URL
field

file:///usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-9.3/html/

Alex

zed zed

Re: LibreOffice - Base...

David Love <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using LinuxMint v17.0 Qiana qith the MATE DE.
>
> Have followed with interest the recent discussins on Base and have
> decided to try and learn how to use it, using PostGreSQL as the backend.
> But - and there is always one of those :-) - how many of the multitude
> of postgrsql files in Synaptic do I need to install, please.

Thank you NoOp, Wolfgang Keller and Alex Thurgood for your prompt and
helpful suggestions.

I have downloaded amd installed all the files suggested and will now read
the documentation to see whether my geriatric brain can understand it.

Will report back in due course..

David

--
David Love
COMPUTER LITERACY? You mean my computer can READ?!